Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Jean Grey Polarizing?

BrightsideDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrightsideDC

I recently began my foray into reading comics and decided to start with the X-Men, mainly due to my fascination with the Fox cartoon from the 1999's and have started with the Uncanny X-Men Volune One. I recently read a blog post on which someone stated that Jean Grey "is the most polarizing figure in comics" and I just wanted to see what everyone's take is on that. And also, if anyone has any recommendations or guides showing what I should read after I complete Uncanny volume two, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By adamTRMM

I think Eve of Destruction was an attempt to make her a more polarizing character, but that direction was forgotten since Morrison took over. Not a JG expert though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Boring personality and overpowered which leads to her being even more boring in my eyes.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I like Jean Grey...so, by judging the other posts, I guess I am just perpetuating the point of this thread.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Koays

Depends on who you ask...

Some might say she's boring which really is just up to the reader. But most people who find her too powerful are buying into the hype since Jean's only ever really been noticeably strong in two story lines (Phoenix Saga and Morrisons run) which make up a small amount of her history but are all most people talk about in relation to the character.

The counter argument to both points is that (1) outside of the 90s, Jean is probably one of the most interesting characters when properly explored as her return during the 80's and the formation of X-Factor deals with all of the issues you'd expect from someone who dies, is replaced and comes back only to find that she has an infamous legacy attached to her because of it and that everyone else has moved on.

And (2) throughout most of her existence she's only ever been the strongest on teams that don't include many other people. She spent a large portion of the 90s paired with Storm in the field and those pairings generally had Storm being noticeably more powerful. In fact Rachel Grey is arguably more powerful in all of the ways we'd judge Jean including the phoenix.

To make a long story short: Jean IS polarizing but its not really deserved. People remember TAS when they think of her personality and Dark Phoenix when they think of her powers....but Jean Grey wouldn't be a staple in so many plotlines if there wasn't something interesting about her.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean is like the Victoria Beckham of the X-men. She's famous, but has this love her or love her not personality. there's not much gray area to work on with.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@brightsidedc said:
    1. I recently began my foray into reading comics and decided to start with the X-Men, mainly due to my fascination with the Fox cartoon from the 1999's and have started with the Uncanny X-Men Volune One. I recently read a blog post on which someone stated that Jean Grey "is the most polarizing figure in comics" and I just wanted to see what everyone's take is on that.
    2. And also, if anyone has any recommendations or guides showing what I should read after I complete Uncanny volume two, it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. Jean Grey is probably one of the most polarizing characters in X-men comics, I would agree with that. To be fair, the X-men seems to have a lot of characters who are polarizing among fans (Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Wolverine, etc), but Jean is certainly one of the most. Some people think she's boring because she's "over-powered", some think she's boring because she has so little in the way of personality, and some think she's the greatest because or despite those things.

Personally, I think she's boring because she doesn't have an especially distinct personality or voice, but I actually found her more interesting when she had god-like powers (as she was written by Claremont and Morrison) because it made her perspective that much more singular among the other characters.

2. If you're looking for something to follow Uncanny X-Men (vol.2), I'd suggest Uncanny X-Men (vol.3).

Vol.3 is pretty different from vol.2, but it is the natural extension of that story, and probably the most consistently solid X-men book since it started. For some context of what happens between vol.2 and vol.3, you might want to check out AVX: Consequences 5 issue mini and the first 6 issues of All-New X-Men, but after that the book stands up pretty well on it's own.

hope that helps :v

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Jean Grey is a character I have conflicting opinions about. When she's written well, she's one of the coolest members of the X-Men. Chris Claremont wrote her really well until her first death--after that, she was fairly boring until Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Grant Morrison managed to give her character flaws and a personality, which he partially accomplished by using her boring, good girl image against her. So, at her core, Jean Grey isn't a terribly interesting character, but when she's written well, she's one of my favorite members of the X-Men.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Depends on who you ask...

Some might say she's boring which really is just up to the reader. But most people who find her too powerful are buying into the hype since Jean's only ever really been noticeably strong in two story lines (Phoenix Saga and Morrisons run) which make up a small amount of her history but are all most people talk about in relation to the character.

The counter argument to both points is that (1) outside of the 90s, Jean is probably one of the most interesting characters when properly explored as her return during the 80's and the formation of X-Factor deals with all of the issues you'd expect from someone who dies, is replaced and comes back only to find that she has an infamous legacy attached to her because of it and that everyone else has moved on.

And (2) throughout most of her existence she's only ever been the strongest on teams that don't include many other people. She spent a large portion of the 90s paired with Storm in the field and those pairings generally had Storm being noticeably more powerful. In fact Rachel Grey is arguably more powerful in all of the ways we'd judge Jean including the phoenix.

To make a long story short: Jean IS polarizing but its not really deserved. People remember TAS when they think of her personality and Dark Phoenix when they think of her powers....but Jean Grey wouldn't be a staple in so many plotlines if there wasn't something interesting about her.

well said. i dont know why i missed this yesterday but anyways......

Jean Grey is not boring she risked her life saving her teammates and the man she loves. How many friends can do that for you? im guessing none.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great posts on this thread that mirror my opinion on the character. I would continue on with Volume 3, like suggested.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Yea totally didn't get this or your tag on the Recent Subjects Thread.

But Yea I'm with you. I don't think she's boring. But I can see why a lot of people Would. The real problem I have is that so many people just don't know much about where to look for her stories and assume that the 90s run of X-Men is the end all when its her absolute worst characterization.

Its almost as bothersome as someone watching X-Men movies and saying that its what they base their opinion of the team on. Its not wrong....but its not exactly fair to the characters to not include the better stuff when forming an opinion.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

early years till 90's jean has always been a moral support to everyone, that's why she was called the heart of the x-men. she was kinda boring then. Then came Morrison, I really love the way he wrote jean. She became comfortable and confident with her powers and even stepped up to be an x-men leader

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @darthphoenix: jean grey would always be remembered by scott or logan or storm or rachel or even emma

Also there is this : JGS=jean grey school=jean grey-summers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey is not boring she risked her life saving her teammates and the man she loves. How many friends can do that for you? im guessing none.

I'm not disagreeing with you, really, but risking her life for her teammates doesn't make her special among X-men; almost all of them have done that at some point.

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

And she died at the end of both storylines so she didn't have godlike powers for that long.

The Jean Grey in The Dark Phoenix Saga wasn't even the real Jean unless that has been retconned.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@vulshock said:
    @koays said:

1. And she died at the end of both storylines so she didn't have godlike powers for that long.
    2. The Jean Grey in The Dark Phoenix Saga wasn't even the real Jean unless that has been retconned.

1. Jean was the Phoenix from The X-Men #101 until #137, so at least three years, originally.

2. Jean not being the Phoenix in DPS was itself a retcon that they used to explain how she was still alive in 1986, which confused everyone for years, and I guess still does, but Claremont himself retconned the retcon in Classic X-Men #8 (1987), which pretty clearly states that while Jean did use the power of the Phoenix to keep her old body alive in stasis, that was only after she did in fact join with the Pheonix.

In this story, set during Jean Grey's original sacrifice story, we see Claremont basically explain how Phoenix was simultaneously Jean Grey and also somehow not entirely Jean Grey, how the original Phoenix was the Phoenix Force combined with Jean Grey, but not all of Jean Grey. If that makes any sense.

I can see why Claremont would want to try to clarify this point, as it's one of the most confusing and misunderstood parts of the X-men's popular mythos; but knowing that this retcon was never his intention for the story, it's hard not to see it as a bit contrived.

Still, this does settle all of the arguments about whether or not Jean was in the Dark Phoenix Saga (according to this, she was) and how many times Jean died (technically twice, once in DPS and once in Morrison's New X-Men) and how many times she came back to life (technically, never). Which she could do because, as of this story, there actually were two Jean Greys (not counting alternate realities and/or time travel).

This issue was further confused by 90's writers who had characters saying things like, "that wasn't you, that was the Phoenix," which would make sense if what they meant was "you weren't in control of yourself, you were possessed," or something, but it seemed like both readers and writers of that era missed CXM #8, because everyone seemed to take "that wasn't you" more literally than what actually happened in the story.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

IMO Jean Grey is very mary Sue, not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean that hordes of fans dont love her, so you should just read her yourself and decide :D

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First she hated the phoenix because the phoenix stole her life then she loves the phoenix in morrisons run when she was becoming the phoenix. I can see her as polarizing.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey should come back. She was the reason what make Cyclops a more hero looking than villain. Jean is my number one hero. Cyclops was in the same boat as Jean, booooriiiing, but I'm sure if Jean ever comes back she will become a very interesting character.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EC2277

@shebba: Let stay Dead Jean where is. For her it is better wait a writer with some very good ideas, rather than forced someone to write a story only to sell some book.

At least this is my thought.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

@shebba: Let stay Dead Jean where is. For her it is better wait a writer with some very good ideas, rather than forced someone to write a story only to sell some book.

At least this is my thought.

:(

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EC2277

@shebba: Yeah, Also I'm a Jean's fan. Or better still I can say that for me, Scott and Jean are for the X-Men, that Ty Johnson and Tandy Bowen are for "Cloak and Dagger".

But I don't like the idea that Scott goes back to be a boyscout. I love they bad, like the current Scott and like this Jean: Jean versus Sabretooth

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

@shebba: Yeah, Also I'm a Jean's fan. Or better still I can say that for me, Scott and Jean are for the X-Men, that Ty Johnson and Tandy Bowen are for "Cloak and Dagger".

I'm glad to know you are also a Jean's fan. I really like Jean's back with Cyclops as they always were. I think they made for each other. If this reboot ever happen (as people are saying there will be a reboot soon and don't know if it's true or not) I hope Jean and Cyclops get back together and make things better for them and their child without having to send their child to the future. I think this part of the story was lame. I mean, look at Cyclops son, an old man? Plus this cable is getting tiring and I wish this reboot take back all these mess they did in the past. I think a fresh start would be good :)

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

But I don't like the idea that Scott goes back to be a boyscout. I love they bad, like the current Scott and like this Jean: Jean versus Sabretooth

dude, thats totally awesome.

im saddened by whats happened to my x-men

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba said:

@ec2277 said:

I'm glad to know you are also a Jean's fan. I really like Jean's back with Cyclops as they always were. I think they made for each other. If this reboot ever happen (as people are saying there will be a reboot soon and don't know if it's true or not) I hope Jean and Cyclops get back together and make things better for them and their child without having to send their child to the future. I think this part of the story was lame. I mean, look at Cyclops son, an old man? Plus this cable is getting tiring and I wish this reboot take back all these mess they did in the past. I think a fresh start would be good :)

A fresh start would be nice. Bendis doesnt like emma and scott together yet he doesnt put teen jean with teen scott. Maybe before a reboot they have adult scott with emma and teen scott with teen jean.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba said:

@ec2277 said:

A fresh start would be nice. Bendis doesnt like emma and scott together yet he doesnt put teen jean with teen scott. Maybe before a reboot they have adult scott with emma and teen scott with teen jean.

That will be nice. Bendis is everyone's dislike, but is he do what you just mentioned it will be a Christmas gift for me :)

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba said:

Jean Grey should come back. She was the reason what make Cyclops a more hero looking than villain.Jean is my number one hero. Cyclops was in the same boat as Jean, booooriiiing, but I'm sure if Jean ever comes back she will become a very interesting character.

i always thought that too. Also i blame emma for making him into a villain because she used to be a villain

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shebba

@shebba said:

Jean Grey should come back. She was the reason what make Cyclops a more hero looking than villain.Jean is my number one hero. Cyclops was in the same boat as Jean, booooriiiing, but I'm sure if Jean ever comes back she will become a very interesting character.

i always thought that too. Also i blame emma for making him into a villain because she used to be a villain

That's true. I just don't get what Bendis was trying to prove recently in this couple. I believe that Emma shouldn't ever be with Cyclops or the other way around. Either way, this brought nothing good for them. Jean is the one and only for Cyclops and him as the writers as well know this. I wonder if the reason turning Cyclops a villain was so they can finally bring the old Jean's back? Like an excuse to revive her or something? Oh I hope so. I also feel that eventually the young 05 might go back to their past once they done with ever they want to do. I also hope that if this happen, that the current 05 make a complete changes. I want to see this happen. I'm tired seeing heroes against heroes. It just so old and tiring that I don't know what else to pick when I go shopping for comics.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@shebba said:

That's true. I just don't get what Bendis was trying to prove recently in this couple. I believe that Emma shouldn't ever be with Cyclops or the other way around. Either way, this brought nothing good for them. Jean is the one and only for Cyclops and him as the writers as well know this. I wonder if the reason turning Cyclops a villain was so they can finally bring the old Jean's back? Like an excuse to revive her or something? Oh I hope so. I also feel that eventually the young 05 might go back to their past once they done with ever they want to do. I also hope that if this happen, that the current 05 make a complete changes. I want to see this happen. I'm tired seeing heroes against heroes. It just so old and tiring that I don't know what else to pick when I go shopping for comics.

Even bendis said "they(emma and scott) brought the worst out in each other like in AvX when scott stole the phoenix force from emma, the romance is done" I thought that too but the emma/scott fans think it was some noble act scott taking the phoenix from emma to save her or some bull like that.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays@shebba i miss old school mothering jean, we need the old jean back

No Caption Provided

jean said she was killed, cloned or kidnapped. also teen jean was kidnapped by the shiar, whats next for teen jean being killed or cloned next, hmm?

No Caption Provided

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Yes I agree. Emma and Scott should've never got together in the first place.

And look at Jean in this images. Awww how I miss this red hair. I'm ok with teen Jean, but not for adult Cyclops because she belong to teen Cyclops. Guys, I think it's time to start asking yourself how long Jean will remain in that hot white room. Having her back without the Phoenix is the best thing a writer can ever do.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba: OMG!!! I love her hair too. One day i hope to be a redhead.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: i found it on tumblr so it doesnt say what issue its from sorry

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: "The last Morlok story" Uncanny X-Men 293 (1992)

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh jean is the most complicated character she has been kidnapped, killed and cloned. emma had oly been cloned and killed(in a coma) hmmmmm

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh jean is the most complicated character she has been kidnapped, killed and cloned. emma had oly been cloned and killed(in a coma) hmmmmm

She is as complicated as a sack of bricks.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh jean is the most complicated character she has been kidnapped, killed and cloned. emma had only been cloned and killed(in a coma) hmmmmm

is that a good thing or a bad thing? Teen jean is great for now. Everybody loves her even emma is now her friend

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85 said:

oh jean is the most complicated character she has been kidnapped, killed and cloned. emma had only been cloned and killed(in a coma) hmmmmm

is that a good thing or a bad thing? Teen jean is great for now. Everybody loves her even emma is now her friend

It's a great thing.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85 said:

It's a great thing.

Your being sarcastic, now i can tell

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85 said:

@avenger85 said:

It's a great thing.

Your being sarcastic, now i can tell

serious as a heart attack.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: XP

i am not pleased

No Caption Provided

the phoenix is also pi$$__ off

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think jean grey is a boring marysue with zero flaws....

shes supposed to be this good girl and everything, but she comes off as someone trying hard to get out of the good gal persona yet still be a good gal

as xaviers first student, jean was basically his puppet, she did everything and anything he wanted ( wink wink), 60s-70s jean was the one who wouldnt call out xavier about his bs and fumble at trying to bring an excuse up for him

if you read savage hulk #3, which happens after prof x fakes his death and comesback and starts bossing the xmen, jean and scott are the only ones who dont complain.... until jean gets a hit of gamma radiaton and turns into a sexy version of the hulk. thats when she lets out all that repressed anger and calls him out on his bullshit.

after the jean leaves the xmen when storms team joins thats when she starts developin a bit, and after the retcon all the development she had as phoenix disappeared ( though phoenix had jeans personality or jean was phoenix, pick)

when she came back in x factor, she started letting out all that anger, she showed to still hold a grudge at magneto and was angry he was with the xmen

she was furious that her teammates had left magneto in charge and retired, later on she didnt want the xmen to work with emma frost

she was also angry that phoenix had stolen her identity and life

durig this time she became more outspoken, she developed her own voice,

she was also caring towards the kids xfactor took in and asked scott to go back to maddy, she also had no problem hitting opponents hard... she also showed that she doesnt like being walked in or having her life mapped out..

after inferno when scott proposed, she said no bcos she already had the memory of him proposing to and marrying two women that looked like her, and she rejected rachel and refused to aknowledge her bcos it seemed like someone had planned out her life

another thing is her anger, jean grey can turn from a caring motherlike figure to a demon with red hair, likr two of the times she pawned sabertooth, when she mindraped juggernat and a bunch of kids and threatened to mindrape the kids parents, when she mindraped emma, and when she punched mellencamp out of the country, this use of power when angry can make her look like an hypocrite, like she criticized xavier for mindwiping magneto in anger

also her jealousy, when she worked as a model, she was angry at all the models fawning over scott, she was also always getting angry at scott for thinking about psylocke, and fought psylocke bcos of this, she also mindraped scott bcos of this, this also makes her look like an hypocrite bcos jean can also be flirty and has had a handful of kisses with wolverine

also she was one of the few to challenge xavier from time to time

the reason 90s jean seems out of there is prolly cause she spent 12 years raising cable in the future, she must have still felt older and hard to regain the way she was in the current timeline

i think the problem is that jean held back and repressed a lot, a lot about her changed when she stopped that in uncanny 355 after that she started doing stuff like controlling villains to join the xnen, also she hard a poor balancing of being kickass yet caring (we saw mostly the caring )

i think the things i find interesting about her are;

her interactions with students as a mother figure that would go crazy to protect them

her interaction with storm, and the way they make eachother relax (marvel needs to make them official)

her numerous flirtations

her bro-sis stuff with beast

her clashes with xavier

her interaction with emma frost

her love for clothes and shopping

her way of dealing with flirts

her moral code that she sometimes breaks

her jealousy and teritoriality

her tendency to act as a comforter

the way she acts when angry

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she comforted jubes when illyana was dying. was there any jean vs xavier fights?

BrightsideDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for the replies! Glad to see this discussion jumping.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix said:

she comforted jubes when illyana was dying. was there any jean vs xavier fights?

yes but ill try to find it

no i can't find it. its was when jean was attacking xavier and scott was like stop it your hurting her.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that was an planned illusion, when jean was helping xavier to discover who the traitor was, it was uncanny #375

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.