Jean Grey Does NOT Deserve to Have a School Named After Her

• 66 results
#1 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

By now, most of us know that Wolverine is basically reopening Xavier's school and naming it after Jean Grey...

JEAN GREY DOES NOT DESERVE TO HAVE A SCHOOL NAMED AFTER HER.

1: While a teacher at Xavier's she NEVER LOVED THE CHILDREN.

2: Jean Grey never even CARED ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

3: Jean Grey NEVER BELIEVED IN XAVIER'S DREAM.

4: The last thing Jean Grey would ever want is a school where mutant children would be safe and able to learn to control and use their powers...

Does ANY ONE OF those points sound right?

Not only no, but SMURF NO!!!!

So, what is up with people saying, "Wolverine has no right to name the School after Jean Grey! She was not his wife!"

Tell me this, if Storm reopened the school could SHE name it after Jean Grey? Jean Grey wasn't Storm's wife either.

How about Rachel? Could Rachel Summers open a school and name it after Jean Grey? Well, according to many in here, you apparently cannot name a school for mutant children after Jean Grey unless you were married to her....

How many schools are named after former U.S. Presidents? Were they named by the president's wives?

There are schools named after Rosalind Franklin (A BRILLIANT WOMAN WHO WAS ROBBED OF THE NOBEL PRIZE)... We're these schools named after her by her wife??? No... She didn't have a wife...

Jean kept Xavier's going for some time... Jean loved the school... Jean loved the children. Jean loved Xavier's dream...

I do not believe Logan is trying to be spiteful to Cyclops.... He's simply honoring a woman who deserves to be honored... It is appropriate.

#2 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Should be named after Xavier again

#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12981 posts) - - Show Bio

wow....i thought you were serious for a minute there lmao. you're like SC's evil twin.

#4 Posted by zero6 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, she deserves it but it doesnt roll off the tougne as well like xavier, the name we grew up with as with the x-men, but yeah she would deserve it. i hope with this that she ressurects sometime in the near future

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

No me gusta.

I think it's a bad way to go.

#6 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

I may despise Jean, but naming the school after her is appropriate. Not to mention it's perfectly within character for Wolverine, dude's had a much harder time letting go of the redhead than Scott (granted, Scott has Emma around to remind him how much better off he is without her).

That being said, I still hate the whole idea.

#7 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

After Xavier, if not Jean than who else would you name a school for mutants after? I think it's a good choice.

#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio
@ApatheticAvenger
#9 Posted by VanTesla (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does a school need to be named after some one any ways...

Off Topic: What is Xavier even doing anyway... He would be better off dead with how they treat his character for the past few years.

#10 Posted by cattlebattle (12700 posts) - - Show Bio

eh....who cares, Its  likely  just going to get blown up in a few months anyways.

#11 Posted by Doveland (132 posts) - - Show Bio
@ApatheticAvenger said:

I may despise Jean, but naming the school after her is appropriate. Not to mention it's perfectly within character for Wolverine, dude's had a much harder time letting go of the redhead than Scott (granted, Scott has Emma around to remind him how much better off he is without her).

I KNOW RIGHT? Logan's the one who has to keep killing her!
#12 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I concur. What has Jean remotely done that has impacted the X-Men so much so that there has to be a school named after her?

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ApatheticAvenger said:

This. So much this.
#14 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: @FadeToBlackBolt: I do my best. ^_^

#15 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think it's disgusting. Wolverine's character gets cheapened because of it, in my book at least. It's unjustifiable.

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@pixelized said:

I still think it's disgusting. Wolverine's character gets cheapened because of it, in my book at least. It's unjustifiable.

It's teenage girl antics, as well. "How badly can I piss Scott off this week?"

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@pixelized said:

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE MESSIANIC AND UNFLAPPABLE CHARACTER OF THE ANGELIC LORD LOGAN!? 

Did I do good, Marvel?
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@pixelized said:

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE MESSIANIC AND UNFLAPPABLE CHARACTER OF THE ANGELIC LORD LOGAN!? Did I do good, Marvel?

Pats on head. You get a cookie.

#19 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

The fan boy in me says it should be named after Warren Worthington.

#20 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

naming a school which has being attacked for what they do after a woman who is always dying and coming back alive ...marvel is hinting at the schools future.

#21 Posted by IronHerc (93 posts) - - Show Bio

The name for me is perfect and I felt that it was good since well, I feel that Logan did love Jean and probably even more compared to Scott. She was also a great person so its fitting. And yes, this is one of the reasons why i broke my bow of "not buy any x-tittles" and will get Wolverine and the X-men

#22 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

wow....i thought you were serious for a minute there lmao. you're like SC's evil twin.

LOL! I consider that a supreme compliment. S.C. rocks the casbah. :-)

@BlackArmor said:

Should be named after Xavier again

I have to admit, I have been wondering why it isn't... Maybe we'll find out later. I noticed that Xavier is staying on Utopia and NOT joining Wolverine and company... Maybe that's why?

@ApatheticAvenger said:

That's an excellent point... Scott was ready to let go of Jean before she was killed. He basically said so... And the fact that Wolverine kept a lock of her hair tells us he still has not...

And, while I think naming the school after her is simply to honor her and it makes sense.... the thought of Wolverine as headmaster feels like a coat that's about two sizes too small... I hope that makes sense.

@TheCrowbar said:

The fan boy in me says it should be named after Warren Worthington.

Well... He does seem to PAY for everything, doesn't he... But I doubt he ever gave Logan a lock of his hair... :-)

#23 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@pixelized said:

dude Scott's the one who brought her up in a fight that had absolutely nothing to do with her....that's "teenage girl antics" to me....Wolverine naming the school after her is anything but childish

#24 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm:

When did they say whose side Prof. X was on. did i miss something glarringlly obvious

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be the only school in mutantkind's history to be destroyed repeatedly and reconstruct on its own in a convoluted manner. Heck, one time, they'll have a duplicate of the building while the main one's demolished. And then the main one gets rebuilt. And then things get awkward.

#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@pixelized said:

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE MESSIANIC AND UNFLAPPABLE CHARACTER OF THE ANGELIC LORD LOGAN!? Did I do good, Marvel?

Well... maybe if you replace the word "Angelic" with "demonic" or "Canadian..."

#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

This will be the only school in mutantkind's history to be destroyed repeatedly and reconstruct on its own in a convoluted manner. Heck, one time, they'll have a duplicate of the building while the main one's demolished. And then the main one gets rebuilt. And then things get awkward.

And then it becomes sentient and eats an entire inhabited moon....or just it's student population. Whichever.

#28 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Jean deserves the honor and I have no problem with it, but you're crazy if you don't think that it was at least a little dig at Cyclops, especially considering the confrontation they had in Schism #4.

#29 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Timandm:

When did they say whose side Prof. X was on. did i miss something glarringlly obvious

Maybe I'm recalling something that wasn't really there... But I thought I saw previews or some such thing in which the Prof and Legion were with Cyclops.

@Telcalipoca said:

naming a school which has being attacked for what they do after a woman who is always dying and coming back alive ...marvel is hinting at the schools future.

I SOOO can't argue with that... LOL! It's sort of like naming an airplane "Lynard Skynard" and playing the Buddy Holly story as the in flight movie...

@lykopis said:

I certainly didn't feel Schism pandered to Wolverine. If anything, any leanings I had towards Wolverine being in the right was actually tilted in Cyclops' favour - especially the ending monologue of the last few panels. Wolverine has a lot to learn when it comes to being the leader of mutantkind and Cyclops has a lot to remember when it comes to envisioning a future where mutant children can be just that - children. Throwing what each of these guys have done in the past to judge their decisions now can prove/disprove either side of this supposed division. I myself do not see a division, just two seperate points of view of what it means to be X-Men.

Wolverine was WRONG to fight Scott... There wasn't time to evacuate everyone (I don't think) and there is a time to stand and fight, even for children, and especially for mutants... No doubt... Logan was in the wrong...

But I didn't mean to say he was right when I started this thread... I'm only addressing the fact that people think he's naming the school after Jean ONLY to spite Scott... I don't think it has anything to do with Scott... I think he's honoring her... But I also think he was wrong to fight Scott... I think that radical change in attitude for Wolverine is all a result of his having killed five of his children just prior to Schism... He's messed up, but he's especially sensitive about putting children in danger now...

#30 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

I think there's some kind of universal constant that connects the death and ressurection of Jean Grey to the demolition and reconstruction of the school... Maybe a three to one ratio? For every three times Jean dies and comes back the school has to get demolished and reconstructed once..

#31 Posted by Dernman (14966 posts) - - Show Bio

He should have named it Pheonix instead of Jean with how many times it rises from the ashes from its destruction.

#32 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

And then it becomes sentient and eats an entire inhabited moon....or just it's student population. Whichever.

Well, it's not as if Utopia is faring any better, is it? It's a big rock, on a stick, in the ocean... It's an easy target with no escape... It USED to be Asteroid M. How many times did it get demolished before it FINALLY sank into the sea... At least three, but maybe as many as five... And then they raised it up from the ocean and it's suddenly safe?

Think about it. Do we have any other examples of Mutant Island Nations? Well, GENOSHA. More than 15 million mutants wiped out in ONE ATTACK... When your enemy has isolated themselves into one location, AND you're not worried about collateral damage... Well, strategically, you have made yourself an easy target... One nuclear missile and the island is gone... Of course, the same could be said for a school in upstate New York, but if you blast a nuclear missile on U.S. territory at least there will be some sort of retaliation. There was NO retaliation for what happened to Genosha... And there would be none if Utopia were sank... Except maybe by Namor.

But Genosha isn't the only Mutant Island nation we have an example of. PROVIDENCE... Remember Cables Island made from his old ship... Remember what happened to it? First it was blown up, and then it sank... That's what happens to large objects that aren't naturally bouyant when you put them on the ocean... Utopia IS a rock, and Magneto himself said one of the reasons he chose it was that it was MOSTLY IRON... That thing is SOOO going to sink one day...

Genosha - Entire population wiped out (except for a few survivors)

Providence - Destroyed and sank...

• Attacked by a plane carrying four mutant X predators. I think this was only two days after Utopia had been raised.
  • Cordoned off by an energy bubble and attacked by Sentinels from the future...
  • Attacked by resurrected mutants during the Necrosha story Arc.
  • Attacked by a giant self constructing/repairing sentinel..

Now, how long has Utopia actually been Utopia? Not even a year. Now, I'm referring to the Marvel timeline. Five years in our time it's roughly one year in Marvel time... They have not been there long and yet four major attacks? To their credit, the rock has not sank yet...

Huntress, earlier I think you said that you did not think it was a good way to go, regarding Wolverine naming the school after Jean... My point wasn't that it was good or bad... I was only suggesting that Wolverine is not doing it to piss Scott off or to be spiteful... IMO he's doing it to honor Jean. That's all... Do I think the school will be attacked? Absolutely... Destroyed? Many times. Rebuilt? Yep, at least as many times as Jean has come back to life...

HOWEVER, there is at least one good thing that will come of this. It is a good idea NOT to put all mutants (or most mutants) in one location. Strategically it's just a bad idea... Having several locations at the very least, makes them a harder target...

#33 Posted by SurelockeHomes (2195 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's alright. I don't hear that nice ring like I did with Xavier's school, but I don't mind him naming it after her.

#34 Posted by XsPectre28 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine prolly named the school after her considering that it was her who was to/became the new headmaster. to me the whole mindset of Schism is REDEMPTION..... wolverine is trying to redeem himself for killing his kids so he is making sure that the X-students dont have to make the tough decisions that the original x-men & new mutants did. trying to get back to what the x-men was created for in the first place. YES the 616 universe has changed and more children are now involved regardless if the are mutant human super human or inhuman. i also think that he named the school after her because i think that jean grey represents redemption because of what phoenix & maddie did she feels responsible for their actions and knew that eventually she would have to pay in some way. i also think that jean will make a return but had to be eliminated so that other events could happen but now with everything goin on the stage is set for her return

#35 Posted by XsPectre28 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

exactly besides i think that emma isnt the only one that jean has been communicating with but just the only on panel person that she is.

#36 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@XsPectre28: Yep - Jean was supposed to be the headmistress before she was killed. Makes sense the new school would be named after her. I don't see it as rubbing it in Cyclops' face at all. She would have been (will be ;) honoured.

I love how you put, "She would have been (will be) honoured." That "will be" part fits when talking about Jean...

#37 Posted by Daycrawler (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Never mind the name of the school, how come Logan's even able to use the land it's on? Doesn't it still belong to Xavier? And if Xavier is indeed siding with Scott, then why the hell would he let Logan rebuild the school on his land?

#38 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daycrawler said:

Never mind the name of the school, how come Logan's even able to use the land it's on? Doesn't it still belong to Xavier? And if Xavier is indeed siding with Scott, then why the hell would he let Logan rebuild the school on his land?

Great questions... I hope we get answers..

-Who's paying for everything?

-Who will actually be teaching?

#39 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I whole-heartedly agree. Naming a new school after Jean Grey to me is simply paying tribute to an iconic X-Man.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@pixelized said:

I laughed when I read this. I LMAO'd when I read who wrote this. =)

#40 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: yeah they can call that one the Madelyne Institute for, cloned mutants loool
#41 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

@ragdollpurps: I'd name it after Psylocke ;p

#42 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually love the idea b/c I think she does deverve that honor. On the other hand, it also makes me feel like she may not be coming back at all now. :\

#43 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@riri4life said:

I actually love the idea b/c I think she does deverve that honor. On the other hand, it also makes me feel like she may not be coming back at all now. :\

WHAT?! Jean Grey NOT come back??? That would be like.. Wolverine NOT being on every super hero team in the Marvel Universe... No, Jean will come back. Jean ALWAYS comes back... I believe that's why we've seen the phonix force being recollected...

#44 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP's got some good points.

But I do think that the "would storm be allowed to name the school Jean Grey" argument a bit too forced to present a point. Storm did not have an awkward love triangle with Scott. Storm did not have a recent falling out with the husband of Jean. It's a lame argument if you ask me.

Does Logan have the right to use the name? Of course he has. She was a "friend" and paying tribute to her is ok. But it still is a low blow to Scott. It would be too one-sided to think that there's not even a drop of offending Scott in Logan's motive.

#45 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: LOL Ur right. We mustn't loose hope in Jean! (no pun intended)

#46 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Storm did not have an awkward love triangle with Scott.

You mean you didn't read THAT story?! :-)

The point is, it shouldn't matter WHO names the school after Jean... But, if you're wanting to look at 'whose wife' she was and what not... Scott told Emma he was going to divorce Jean and stay with her... Scott was going to leave Jean ANYWAY. In fact, Scott was already having a psychic affair with Emma... So, what RIGHTS or claims can he make on Jean's name? If he and Jean had managed to get "officially" divorced would that have made a difference? In his mind and in his heart the marriage was over... He was already WITH Emma... Scott and Jean were DONE.... The whole, "She was my wife and I loved her even though I cheated on her and planned to divorce her and stay with the woman who once tried to kill us all" argument is rather thin.... In my opinion...

#47 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: Sorry. You lost me with the arc with Storm-Jean-Scott love triangle. God please tell me that really exists! Nyehehehe!

Oh, and good points. You've convinced me. And I just remembered one instance you can also use here that shows Cykes was over Jean... Making out with Emma in Jean's grave! Nyeheheh!

#48 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@Timandm: Sorry. You lost me with the arc with Storm-Jean-Scott love triangle. God please tell me that really exists! Nyehehehe!

Oh, and good points. You've convinced me. And I just remembered one instance you can also use here that shows Cykes was over Jean... Making out with Emma in Jean's grave! Nyeheheh!

Well no, the Storm - Jean - Scott love triangle didn't "really" happen....per se... LOL! But if we start a rumor, who knows? marvel might pick up on it and retcon things.

So, on her grave? REALLY?!?!?!

#49 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: OH MAN! I had forgotten about that!

You know... Some things are JUST wrong...

#50 Posted by oldgum (326 posts) - - Show Bio

So we call it the Madelyne Pryor School

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.