Jason Aaron - overrated X-writer?

• 65 results
#51 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3449 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I feel the same. I have stopped reading almost all of the X titles as a result of his work. No offense to him personally, but his bias towards Wolverine negatively effects his work.

#52 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I tend to see Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men his personal fanfiction. I'm sorry if it sounds disrespectful but I've lost respect for him.

#53 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated? Probably not (I don't hear people rave about him like GMorrison and Whedon, but I don't think they are overrated because they live up to my expectations atleast)

Hit or Miss? That's probably how I see him. He's fallen flat recently, but here's me hoping to Hellfire Saga being decent/ good. If It isn't, to the drop pile it is, Mr Aaron.

#54 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's extremely overrated. I don't like his runs on Wolverine or Wolverine & the X-Men at all.

#55 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4246 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Overrated? Probably not (I don't hear people rave about him like GMorrison and Whedon, but I don't think they are overrated because they live up to my expectations atleast)

Hit or Miss? That's probably how I see him. He's fallen flat recently, but here's me hoping to Hellfire Saga being decent/ good. If It isn't, to the drop pile it is, Mr Aaron.

Yeah, I didn't know that he was ever popular at all, so I definitely wouldn't have called him overrated.

I've been reading his Wolverine and the X-men since the beginning, but of 27 issues, there's maybe 7 or 8 that have been decent. And even of those, there isn't much focus or consistency.

I do think issues 24, 25, and 27 have been decent, so I'm still tentatively on board, but I can tell this is one of those books that just isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Good on him for doing an X-book that is genuinely different and distinct, but those things in and of themselves aren't going to make the problems this book has had so far go away.

#56 Edited by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Yeah, I didn't know that he was ever popular at all, so I definitely wouldn't have called him overrated.

I've been reading his Wolverine and the X-men since the beginning, but of 27 issues, there's maybe 7 or 8 that have been decent. And even of those, there isn't much focus or consistency.

I do think issues 24, 25, and 27 have been decent, so I'm still tentatively on board, but I can tell this is one of those books that just isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Good on him for doing an X-book that is genuinely different and distinct, but those things in and of themselves aren't going to make the problems this book has had so far go away.

I thought the opening of 27 was great, but went south far, but by far, my favourite issue simply has to be 17. Whether you like the book or not, it's a must read for anyone, because I personally think that was a hilarious, top quality issue.

I also miss Broo, I realise the book isn't as great without him.

#57 Edited by Veitha (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhole said:

Having read his runs on Ghost rider, Wolverine, schism, Wolverine and the Xmen, and AvX, I fail to see why so many people rave about him. While I did enjoy his ghost rider stint, I found his wolverine work to be nothing special. Wolverine and the Xmen seems to consistently get great reviews however I can't stand it. Wolverine comes across as a declawed puppy angry that he's no longer king of the jungle, beast comes across as a pompous know it all, and iceman is written like a teenager. When wolverine and the Xmen debuted I was hoping for something similar to new mutants: academy X, featuring anole, rockslide, mercury etc, however instead they introduced a load of bland characters I could not give a @&£$ for. Schism and AvX have to be some of the worst stories I've ever read, both of which only served to elevate his favourite character (wolverine), who he constantly writes as always in right, at the cost of every other Xman. I just don't understand how he is considered to be one of the "marvel architects" above other writers. Whilst I havent read his scalped series so I can't comment on that, I really don't get why he's considered such a great writer. Anyone else feel the same?

Amen. I agree about everything. The problem with this book is that it doesn't focus on a specific plot, it's just a mess of characters, excessive humor which flows into the ridiculous and a bad characterization of many characters.

#58 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4246 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

I thought the opening of 27 was great, but went south far, but by far, my favourite issue simply has to be 17. Whether you like the book or not, it's a must read for anyone, because I personally think that was a hilarious, top quality issue.

I also miss Broo, I realise the book isn't as great without him.

yeah, I recommend issue 17 to people even if I know they won't like the series as a whole; it's just a great, stand-alone issue.

I know what you mean about Broo, I wasn't that into him at first, but now I really miss him. Outside of the conceptual conceit of the book (that is, that Wolverine runs a school with a cool cast of semi-retired X-men), Broo, Oya, and Quire are really all this book has going for it.

I'm kinda hoping that only they (and maybe Glob, I like him) return with Wolverine from the Savage Land. Or, at least, that the new characters are so shaken by the experience that they quit.

#59 Posted by God_Spawn (37296 posts) - - Show Bio

His negatives as far as X-Men writing go, highly outweigh whatever good he has done in the franchise. Schism, Wolverine Goes to Hell, WatXM after the first handful of issues, have all been or have gone to sh*t. I know he can write better than this. His Thor run so far has been nothing short of fantastic. His own book has gone downhill so fast and quite frankly I had some hope with his latest arc in the Savage Land because it was oriented around Wolverine in Wolverine's own book and Wolverine is something I know Aaron can do decently. Nope. The first issue of the Savage Land arc was a step in the right direction but 2 issues in and it's terrible again. The jokes have become stale. The new mutants are terrible characters. Eye-Boy? I'm take Goldballs or Poink or whatever his name will be more seriously. And the Asian girl, Sprite I think? Boring. At this point, I'd rather take the knock offs Bendis is doing because I actually like some of those characters, despite being, well, an Elixir and Tempo knock off. Hell, I'd take Emma saying fellas and ball those puppies up any day over a disgruntled, time hopping Canadian hillbilly with daddy issues, telling robots he has some genitals they can measure right here before attacking them.

#60 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

Certainly not overrated anymore, by the looks of it. With good reason.

#61 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17250 posts) - - Show Bio

As an x writer? yeah.

But His Thor is mind blowing.

#62 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends what he's writing but generally yes

#63 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I will say Aaron's X Men writing particularly WATXM is my least favorite of his writing, not liking it at all.

#64 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's overrated because I've seen a lot of negative opinions about his work. I personally strongly dislike Wolverine Goes to Hell.

I do however like WatXM. He made me a fan of Quire.

#65 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i think snyder is a hack but look around. to each his own.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.