Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Japanese Characters in the X-World

budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By budonkadonk

Before the internet, you could've gotten away with naming or depicting Japanese characters however you wanted; nowadays, there really isn't much of an excuse.

I mean, look at Psylocke...  her name is Kwannon... or it'd be Kannon in Japanese (観音様) which is the name of a buddhist deity.  Buddhism isn't a large religion out here... and of course, you'd never have anyone named after a buddhist deity.

Wolverine's son, Daken (駄犬)... mangy mutt.  I really don't hear that phrase thrown around at all here, but who knows... his origin and the name came from WWII era. 

Mariko Yashida.... Yashida??? Not a name. 

Aside from awkward names, almost every single Japanese female character are drawn to look like little Vietnamese girls.  Why?   

It'd be pretty easy to to just grab a magazine, or research it online and use current day models and actresses as a reference for these characters.   

Speaking of which, who would you like these characters to look like. 

Daken - Joy... half Japanese half white TV/magazine personality: 

Armor - Ueto Aya....   Actress/singer 
    [img]http://i48.tinypic.com/2u41nix.jpg[img] 

Surge - Tsuchiya Anna... singer/actress 
    [img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2m4zo6v.jpg[/img] 

Psylocke - Kuroki Meisa....   Actress 
    [img]http://i46.tinypic.com/ouqwlf.jpg[/img]       

Your thoughts?  :)

Taima Cha'Tima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Taima Cha'Tima

Are you complaining about the fact that there are various Asian X-men?

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Night Thrasher

I feel your pain. Obviously most of the comic artists and writers in America are Caucasian men, and Japanese women are not an abundant source of reference for them. Honestly though, I couldn't tell the difference between a Vietnamese girl and a Japanese girl if they were side by side. Not saying they all look a like, but still all the same I couldn't. Maybe if I had a frame of reference, but here in eastern NC there aren't many Asian people. I think they make up less than 2% of the population. Still most of the Japanese characters in the X-World look like White characters with tiny eyes. 

budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By budonkadonk

No, not at all...   

I mean, if I were, I could talk about Karma, Jubilee, etc... 

I'm just talking about the fact that I feel like they've half-assed the Japanese characters. 

Like with Psylocke, she's named after a Buddhist deity...  there aren't many buddhist here in Japan, and I'm sure if you asked anyone about Kannon out here, they'd have no clue who it is. 

With Daken, he's refered to as "Mangy Mutt"...  I'll always think of that laughing dog when I see his name: 

Aside from that naming issues (a lot of ollllld fashioned names, so randomly made-up names, etc), characters just aren't drawn like they're Japanese.  I gave some references on how I'd prefer some of the characters to look and I'm hoping others will do the same.

darkningdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkningdawn
    @budonkadonk:

I understand the complaint about Dakken's name mangy mutt sounds borderline racist,tho im sure it's supposed to parallel wolverienes name and not be a reference to his genetics. 
    As far as psylocke is concerned i'm not sure she is supposed to be any specific race,however she was first (and best)drawn by Jim Lee a Korean artist. 
    As far as characters not being drawn properly Japanese,it is incredibly hard to seriously differentiate races when trying to draw realistically,maybe caricature artists can do it but when trying to be realistic (while making most characters pretty and pretty usually means with little character in the face)racial differences can be very sublte.
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xybernauts

How would you draw Japanese characters though? Oddly enough I've always felt that Japanese artists seem to make their characters look too Caucasian. You see this particularly in Japanese anime. (i.e. Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, etc.) Technically if I didn't know the characters were supposed to be Japanese I'd think they were Caucasian. The pics posted are of big name celebrities, but do they really represent Japanese people in general or the do they represent the Japanese vision of what it means to be beautiful?  I want to note that I was actually surprised when they cast Jubalee as an asian person in the movie X-Men The Last Stand because I always thought she was Caucasian. Perhaps Marvel is simply adhering to the precedent that Japanese artists have established. 

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Belladonna

I don't get this?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By doordoor123
    Well the problem is no one knows how to draw japanese people. Not even japanese people can draw japanese people. I mean have you seen manga? Its pretty sad.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By jordama
    @doordoor123 said:
    " Well the problem is no one knows how to draw japanese people. Not even japanese people can draw japanese people. I mean have you seen manga? Its pretty sad."
    daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By daken_2513

Dakens american/asian
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PYH000

The woman who's name is Kwannon who's stuck in Betsy Braddock's body, when I heard the name, it doesn't sound japanese at all so I thought "maybe Kokoro should be an appropriate name for her".

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Thunderscream
    @244 said:
    " The woman who's name is Kwannon who's stuck in Betsy Braddock's body, when I heard the name, it doesn't sound japanese at all so I thought "maybe Kokoro should be an appropriate name for her". "
    Kokoro was the name of the Marvel/DC Amalgamation of Psylocke and Katana
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PYH000
    @Thunderscream: Oh, okay. Well the more I know then. : P
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By eldestrisk

What about Sunfire, no one has seem to name him. When I think of japanese and X-Men, Shiro comes instantly to my mind.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Isn't Psylocke Betsy Bradrock?

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yumulu
    @Gylan Thomas:  Revanche

.@eldestrisk:  Well Shiro Yoshida seems to be a plausable name, maybe that where they get the idea of Mariko surname Yoshida-Yashida kind of similar.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Yumulu said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:  Revanche

.@eldestrisk:  Well Shiro Yoshida seems to be a plausable name, maybe that where they get the idea of Mariko surname Yoshida-Yashida kind of similar. "
    But Revanche isin Betsys body and Betsy'sin Revanche's. Right?
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yumulu
    @Gylan Thomas: Something like that I Haven't read that story but that what it seems to be writtin in the bio's
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By eldestrisk
    @Yumulu: Actually Shiro and Mariko are related, it's just two ways to spell the name.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.