James Marsden Returning as Cyclops?

• 83 results
#1 Edited by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like another iconic X-Men character may be making an appearance in Bryan Singer's "X-Men: Days of Future Past". A NewsWeek journalist apparently scored a sighting of Halle Berry on his plane, sitting next to none other than Cyclops himself, James Marsden.

The plane was heading to Montreal, where coincidentally enough, "X-Men: Days of Future Past" is shooting. While nothing has been confirmed yet by Singer or the production, all signs point to yes on the inclusion of Cyclops in the film.

Cyclops allegedly died in "X-Men: The Last Stand", but that hardly seems like an issue for a project that deals with time-travel, the past and the future.

I personally believe that Bryan Singer can redeem Cyclops. If he's in, I want Havok to return. If Nightcrawler's in, I want Azazel to return.They can interact with Mystique. Bryan Singer has to realize that if he is using characters from First Class and the trilogy he may as well show characters that it would be interesting to see interact. I want Magneto's Brotherhood from the end of First Class to return. I hear Warpath, Bishop and Blink will be in it. If Quicksilver is in it, I want him to interact with Magneto (past and present versions). Joss Whedon has plenty more cooler Avengers to choose from for Avengers 2. I would also love Banshee to return. Along with the trilogy cast and the First Class cast, hopefully Singer can treat us to an army of mutants fighting against loads of Sentinels!

#2 Posted by amutant (267 posts) - - Show Bio

The films ruined Cyclops.

#3 Posted by Dernman (15238 posts) - - Show Bio

@amutant said:

#4 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12019 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

This is about as thrilling as hearing 'George Clooney to return as Batman'

#6 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

The films did Cyclops no justice and neither did the actor in my opinion

#7 Posted by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

Singer's problem with the X-men franchise is he can't engage the audience with so many characters (leaving Cyclops and others in the background) while Wolverine got too much screentime. Hopefully ,he's learned from his mistakes but by seeing the immense amount of casting news, I'm not so sure he has.

#8 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (315 posts) - - Show Bio

cyclops shouldnt have died in the first place and especially jean killing him....WTF

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6425 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. He looks really different without the visor.

#10 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@amutant said:

Marsden was an unemotive hack. One angry scene with Jackman upstaging you and you're done. I would want Paul Walker as Scott and Elena Satine as Jean in a return.

#11 Posted by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: hmm I don't think Paul Walker is the answer here..

#12 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

paul Walker would be good as Cyclops. I never thought about Elena Satine for Jean, it might work though I have a bit of a thing Emily Blunt in that role

#13 Edited by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: I prefer Matthew Fox to play him, Matthew Fox play Jack Shepherd from Lost.

#15 Edited by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, Marsden was one of the worst actors from the first films. I don't care if he doesn't return.

#16 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of off-topic but I didn't want to make a new thread. Does anyone know how well Scott is portrayed in the current Uncanny X-Men? Scott is my favorite character from Marvel but I don't wanna pick it up if it doesn't do him justice.

#17 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Please no, the Cyke with the overbite! Seemingly smiling all the time! I can't wait till Marvel/Disney get the rights back for the Xmen, so we can forget about all of the previous X-horrors.

#18 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6425 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: have you see him sing in Ally Mcbeal. he is a good singer.

^I found this.^

He does sound quite good actually. :)

#19 Posted by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Actually just <insert any actor here> who can actually sell being serious (to which Paul can emote). Marsden is NOT the answer and I don't believe in using him until someone else can be found to actually play the character well. Singer's choices are questionable at best and budget constraints at worst.

#21 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he can go away. I don't know why they didn't replace him in The Last Stand rather than just having the character killed off early in the film. The movie cold have been much better if cyclops was there for the majority of it.

#22 Edited by MistressOfTheElements (514 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sighs* Lets see if people actually does his character justice..

#23 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@amutant said:

It's not like there was much to ruin anyways.............

#24 Posted by MistressOfTheElements (514 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by RustyRoy (13264 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by RustyRoy (13264 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw Brandon Routh or Matthew Fox for Cyclops.

#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@amutant said:

It's not like there was much to ruin anyways.............

I disagree. He provided leadership and stability to the team, despite the internal dramas and relationship issues between the teammates. While Wolverine offers angst and male revenge fantasy, he doesn't do much to form a core for the team. By removing Scott and then Charles from the cast in X3, and not focusing on Jean's ability to communicate her inner turmoil, a lot of the family aspect was lost and it became a movie composed of scenes instead of a movie about friends/family fighting for a world that hates and fears them. Especially without Scott, the leadership became vague and undefined as neither Halle nor Hugh's interpretation of their characters really gave forward movement to the story.

#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@amutant said:

Cyclops wasn't much of a factor in the films; really, most character weren't.

But I don't think one poor portrayal of a character negates the many years of good ones.

#29 Posted by BewilderingBeing (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares? They just use X-men films as an excuse to show how cool their powers are with CGI effects.
As far as everything else they just make it up as they go along anyway. Fans don't seem to mind either way as long as things are blowing up in the background.

#30 Edited by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@amutant said:

But I don't think one poor portrayal of a character negates the many years of good ones.

Cyclops' absence in X3 certainly didn't help the film.

#31 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

This is about as thrilling as hearing 'George Clooney to return as Batman'

What?! When? OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! Clooney is baaaaaaacckkkkkkkkk!!!!! That means.... Schumacheeeerrrrr is back!!!! Wooohooooo!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Bat nipples all the way baaaaabbbbyyyyyy!!!!!!

Oh wait... It's just a comparison... Sigh... :(

#32 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I don't even know what would have helped that train wreck.

#33 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Avenger85 (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Ashton Kutcher as Collossus, maybe ?

#35 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

bozhe moi..

#36 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks good for Scott, he just can't play him. With Jean gone, I think he'll do a lot better.

#37 Posted by Sean2206 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was an okay Cyclops but isn't the cast for this film getting a bit out of hand.

#38 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't pull a Jean Grey. I hope he stays dead.

#39 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the actor's fault -- you have a script which details Scott Summers falling apart and tearing off and abandoning the school and team of which he's the leader and moral compass and the person who attempts to call him out on it is the too tall hairy wannabe alcoholic who sobbed like a baby at the end of the last movie?

Yeah. Don't think it's Marsden's fault. Scott's character wasn't too bad in the first film -- the second was an utter disaster and the third was a Wolverine fan-fest.

The actor was perfect - he did his job well which was to make Cyclops everything the character isn't to satisfy a fanbase that wanted more Hugh Jackman. That's show business, kids.

#40 Edited by Avenger85 (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@avenger85 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

bozhe moi..

Well, I also heard Justin Timberlake can act and has been in a few movies. So we could either have him play Sabretooth or Leonardo di Caprio as Cable...

#41 Posted by havoc1201 (518 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt: its a great series cycke is great in it check it out you wont be disapointed

#42 Edited by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, outside of wolverine who WAS? It should have been called Wolverine with X-Men cameos.

#43 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

He definitely has the look, but the first trilogy kinda had Cyclops play the boring straight-guy/love rival to the more popular Wolverine. It's not as though Marsden doesn't have charisma (Enchanted!), but I guess the role didn't give him much to work with.

I want to see a cinematic Cyclops who is a strong, confident leader - the man who leads the X-Men into battle and who is the team's moral compass.

#44 Posted by RustyRoy (13264 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

He definitely has the look, but the first trilogy kinda had Cyclops play the boring straight-guy/love rival to the more popular Wolverine. It's not as though Marsden doesn't have charisma (Enchanted!), but I guess the role didn't give him much to work with.

I want to see a cinematic Cyclops who is a strong, confident leader - the man who leads the X-Men into battle and who is the team's moral compass.

I want to see that too but doubt it will ever happen.

#45 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

I want to see that too but doubt it will ever happen.

You're probably right :(

#46 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94: That team picture from X-Men the Last Stand reminded me of something... What's gonna happened to Angel? Hopefully he won't be in this film because Ben Foster portrayed him horribly! Same goes for Beast... I'd like First Class Beast to meet future Beast (sounds vaguely familiar... All New X-Men, someone has been reading the books' premise *cough* Singer *cough* *cough*).

#47 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

Dude, outside of wolverine who WAS? It should have been called Wolverine with X-Men cameos.

that's what I meant by "most character weren't."

For me, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique were really the best characters in any of those movies. Wolverine was good in the first two, I really enjoyed the little bit of Nightcrawler we got in X-2, but I can totally see why they would be wanting to make those three the real focus.

#48 Posted by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I know, but in seeing those comics, I kinda want Havok to see Scott. Connections between characters is vital. I want Nightcrawler to see his parents :D

#49 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

@papad1992: I know, but in seeing those comics, I kinda want Havok to see Scott. Connections between characters is vital. I want Nightcrawler to see his parents :D

I agree with you... that's why I believe that the movie should be directed and scripted by fans! We'd make a kick-@ss movie!

#50 Posted by flameboy298 (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

Singer's X-men's films haven't been that promising,X-1 and X2 were average but nothing ground breaking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.