Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is X-Men as popular as Avengers these days?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Do you think that the X-Men are as popular as the Avengers these days, whether it's through the movies or the comics?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

They will always be the mostwell known super team that's for sure. The only competition they have arethe F4, but no one cares about them anymore :(. But I guess their popularity is equal nowadays unfortunately...

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EC2277

If I see the comics sales chart, I think the X-Men were and are more popular than the Avengers; since years.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel only wishes the Avengers were as popular as the X-men. X-Men has been a huge name in the comic industry for the last thirty years, deeply embedded in there along with spider-man. However, Marvel really is pushing their hawkeyes and thors on the mainstream, and given time I think the avengers will surpass the x-men in popularity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have said "no" a year ago, but this year DoFP made more money than Winter Soldier.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

@xwraith said:

I would have said "no" a year ago, but this year DoFP made more money than Winter Soldier.

The Avengers will more than likely crush DOFP's gross to be honest, though I'm not sure it will be the better film.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

The Avengers will more than likely crush DOFP's gross to be honest, though I'm not sure it will be the better film.

I'm pretty sure about that too, but there isn't an X-Men movie coming out next year.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

@xwraith said:

@rogueshadow said:

@xwraith said:

I'm pretty sure about that too, but there isn't an X-Men movie coming out next year.

I'm not sure any X-Men film will top an Avengers film until they start doing more solo films like Gambit, Deadpool etc. Because then you get fans of those characters turning up for the team movie as with the Avengers. Though I do sort of expect Apocalypse will cross the billion mark, DOFP seems to have well and truly washed out the bad taste of TLS and Origins. Avengers is still more popular right now though in my opinion.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

X-men is more popular, and it's not even close. While the Avengers (main team, anyways) have Hulk and Cap, none of their other characters are as popular as the likes of Wolverine, Professor X, Cyclops, Kitty Pryde, Rouge, etc. The Avengers is a fad (still cool though), but the X-men are the real deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@rogueshadow said:

@xwraith said:

I'm not sure any X-Men film will top an Avengers film until they start doing more solo films like Gambit, Deadpool etc. Because then you get fans of those characters turning up for the team movie as with the Avengers. Though I do sort of expect Apocalypse will cross the billion mark, DOFP seems to have well and truly washed out the bad taste of TLS and Origins. Avengers is still more popular right now though in my opinion.

I'll have to agree on that. I think the big reason is that Fox has been making X-Men movies for almost 15 years, but it's only been two since The Avengers came out (I know it wasn't the first MCU movie but I think it's the one that made it as popular as it is).

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics-wise, any sales chart will tell you that the X-Men are more popular and it's not even close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

The X-men have traditionally been far more popular than the Avengers.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

The Xmen were more popular than the Avengers since the 70's

That's basicly when Chris Claremont started writing Xmen.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to say....when something is as big in pop culture as the Avengers are currently. I'm sure if we counted every X-Men fan young and old we'd find alot more X-Men then Avengers fans....especially if you look for any type of depth (Ex: Ask someone with an Avengers T-Shirt to name an Avengers Story).

But at the same time if we asked people on the street what movie there looking forward too their gonna say Avengers 2. Right now Avengers are more mainstream, there what's cool now andso everyone wants to be apart of it. But X-Men probably has a bigger base.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No! They're not, the prove is in the Merchandise sales! The X-Men are bot even top five in that department, whie Avengers have the most room to grow.

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

No! They're not, the prove is in the Merchandise sales! The X-Men are bot even top five in that department, whie Avengers have the most room to grow.

Actually, Marvel intentionally restricts production of X-Men merchandise. They feel like kids getting exposed to and growing to like X-Men will get in the way of them liking the characters to which Marvel has the movie rights.

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixegg: I hate Marvel for doing that -.- X Men are better thats for you Marvel!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixegg: That doesn't seem fair that Marvel is trying to restrict the X-Men merchandise, even though the X-Men still remain popular, even if they aren't owned by Marvel. I think X-Men is still popular because they have been popular way longer than the Avengers, but if the Avengers movies start doing better than the X-Men movies in the future, it's a possibility that the Avengers will gain more popularity than the X-Men.

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, I don't know anymore, but I do know Inhuman are really catching up to the popularity board. The story is good and the art is AWESOME comparing those we've been getting recently.

In movie? Avengers.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

Actually, Marvel intentionally restricts production of X-Men merchandise. They feel like kids getting exposed to and growing to like X-Men will get in the way of them liking the characters to which Marvel has the movie rights.

Marvel produces a lot of X-Men merch. They just don't put them in Cartoons

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The X-Men are more popular but damn, Marvel sure is pushing Avengers hard.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TrekGrey

@ms-lola: True, but I don't understand why?

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trekgrey: Considering that Marvel owns the Avengers in every way and Fox owns the movie rights to the X-Men, its fair to posit the pushing of the X-Men can be considered free marketing for another company. This is why I personally believe there was a lot of noise for female Thor on ABC owned networks (which Disney owns) and barely a peep for the adjectiveless X-Men relaunch with the all female line up. I personally hope Fox doesn't give up their rights to the X-Men because campaigns like what we have going on with the Inhumans seem to me proof enough Marvel bends to the powers at the House of Mouse and not to its fans. It appears the aim is to attract new fans since old fans have a tendency of sticking around no matter how bad things get, so catering to them isn't warranted.

I'm not saying the Inhumans aren't worthy of fanship (I am one) but their heavy push with the Terrigan mists (Ms Marvel) and handing over what happens to the X-Men to one person (Bendis) doesn't give me much confidence that things will change much in the near future.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By poisonfleur

I dunno anymore. Although I believe Marvel didn't take care of the x-men over recent years (possibly in favor of the Avengers). So I will say no. I see no X-men toys, video games, or shows anymore. It kind sucks.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think they're on par with one another.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Thanks! :D

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: I agree with this. I do still see some X-Men T-shirts, but the fact that we still haven't gotten an X-Men TV series yet just annoys me.

@ms-lola: I'm actually surprised that Marvel didn't even broadcast Wolverine's death in talk shows like they did with female Thor, which I did find a bit disappointing yet refreshing.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: I see what you mean. On one hand, it's great Wolverine wasn't focused in mainstream media as he usually tends to be, but then again, if the reasoning is because of Disney strangling any coverage (and Fox having their hands tied because it's a comic event) then it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

JeffFam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they are at the same level of popularity, but they make more money with the Avengers, and I feel like little kids tend to love the Avengers more than the X-men because the movie seems easier to understand...

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel is banking on avengers.i dont know why they keep on pushing for the avengers when it is clearly evident that x-men is more famous and is more interesting than the avengers

JeffFam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel studios do not make money with the X-men, that's the only reason :/

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it's like asking is Frozen more popular then The Lion King.

The Lion King has a much larger and more historic role in pop culture....But nobody is talking about it right now. While Frozen is huge right now and will likely have a large fan base in the coming years as the current generation ages.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought X-Men were always more popular.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I believe that the X-Men were really the more popular team and had the larger fan base but at the current rate, the Avengers will surely overtake them. I mean most of the kids these days like the Avengers heroes more than the X-Men so when they get older I expect the Avengers to really give the X-Men a run for their money.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: And it seems pretty unfair that the X-Men can't get that much coverage in the media because Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to the X-Men, therefore it seems like they are afraid of giving their competition too much leverage against them if the X-Men manages to become more popular than the Avengers in the movies.

JeffFam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agree with Rabbitearsblog, its so sad

Martian81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the medium, in comics the X-men have always been more popular especially through the 90's and early naughties, however since the Iron Man,Thor and Hulk movies hit the mainstream I think Avengers have taken a lead by virtue of the silver screen exposure.Having said that, the X men comeback is on and to my mind the First Class and DoFP films are way better than the Avengers/Thor or Iron man films, Avengers may have the Box office numbers to say otherwise but story-wise X-men films are WAAAY better

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers are more popular. Avengers made almost double the amount DOFP made at the box office.

X-Fans are still holding onto that 90's cartoon for the popularity contest.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers are more popular. Avengers made almost double the amount DOFP made at the box office.

X-Fans are still holding onto that 90's cartoon for the popularity contest.

X-Men comics usually outsell Avengers comics monthly and Avengers comics usually need an X character in it to boost sales.....not to mention the last X-Man cartoon to premiere, which was "Wolverine and the X-Men" premiered to a whopping 3.5 million viewers, an insane number for a cartoon show......so, I would say X-Men have lived on long past their 90s cartoon popularity.

You have to admit, all the Avengers really have is their movie....without that, they got nothing.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Only Bendis's (Who is marvel's biggest creator for some weird reason) books do better and that is only with like 2,000 copies and no X-character plays a major part in Hickman's books besides Sunspot who isn't even c-list. Wolverine and the X-Men got cancelled after one season so there's that.

The X-Men are competing with Captain America in popularity right now not the Avengers

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but why is x-force getting cancelled are they just going to reboot it again. also so long x-factor nice knowing you, bunch of b or even c listers like warlock really????

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

The Xmen were more popular than the Avengers since the 70's

That's basicly when Chris Claremont started writing Xmen.

Comics-wise, any sales chart will tell you that the X-Men are more popular and it's not even close.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I can see, Avengers seem to be more popular and is because the way X men have been leading. Leading to the villainous style and less Xavier's dreams. Yup is how it is now. It's sad though.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cattlebattle

@grenadeflow said:

@cattlebattle: Only Bendis's (Who is marvel's biggest creator for some weird reason) books do better and that is only with like 2,000 copies and no X-character plays a major part in Hickman's books besides Sunspot who isn't even c-list. Wolverine and the X-Men got cancelled after one season so there's that.

The X-Men are competing with Captain America in popularity right now not the Avengers

X-Men have outsold the Avengers before Bendis, and will likely do so after he leaves as well. The funny thing is a lot of X-fans don't even like Bendis, but buy the comics anyways, because that is the power of the X-Men I guess.

The top selling, specific Avengers title at the time is Uncanny Avengers, which has a team comprised of a lot of popular X-Men characters.

The reason that cartoon was canceled had nothing to do with ratings, it was always successful in that regard. It only lasted one season because there was an issue with the rights....so, there is that.

The X-Men have been more popular than the Avengers since the 1980s and continue to be so until this very day, go to any number of comic book forums and you will see the most popular character forums are always X-Men related, not to mention how many fansites and podcasts there are out there that are related to X-Men, I cannot say the same for the Avengers.

All the Avengers have is a financially successful movie....which isn't really relevant to their popularity because the Avengers film did better than any Batman movie...it doesn't mean they are more popular than Batman....you know??

What else ya got??

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phisigmatau

@grenadeflow said:

X-Men have outsold the Avengers before Bendis, and will likely do so after he leaves as well. The funny thing is a lot of X-fans don't even like Bendis, but buy the comics anyways, because that is the power of the X-Men I guess.

The top selling, specific Avengers title at the time is Uncanny Avengers, which has a team comprised of a lot of popular X-Men characters.

The reason that cartoon was canceled had nothing to do with ratings, it was always successful in that regard. It only lasted one season because there was an issue with the rights....so, there is that.

The X-Men have been more popular than the Avengers since the 1980s and continue to be so until this very day, go to any number of comic book forums and you will see the most popular character forums are always X-Men related, not to mention how many fansites and podcasts there are out there that are related to X-Men, I cannot say the same for the Avengers.

All the Avengers have is a financially successful movie....which isn't really relevant to their popularity because the Avengers film did better than any Batman movie...it doesn't mean they are more popular than Batman....you know??

What else ya got??

good argument

though I am pro x-men all the way

the Avengers have become more popular mainstream, to the GA.

In comics the X-men are more popular but in mainstream the Marvel Avenger push has made leaps and bounds of a difference.

Batman is still more popular in General Audience and pop culture then Avengers, even though Avengers did better in one movie.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Avengers were selling more when Bendis was on the book. Check Comichron.com for the stats

The adjectiveless Avengers book is the top selling Avengers book. Uncanny Avengers only sold more in one month this year which they had like 6 variants

You're being a real fanboy if you still believe the X-Men are still more popular. Batman is more popular for now but in ten years who knows

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Avengers were selling more when Bendis was on the book. Check Comichron.com for the stats

The adjectiveless Avengers book is the top selling Avengers book. Uncanny Avengers only sold more in one month this year which they had like 6 variants

You're being a real fanboy if you still believe the X-Men are still more popular. Batman is more popular for now but in ten years who knows

Fanboy?? Thats what we are resulting to?? I just delineated several facts as to why the X-Men always have been and are continually more popular.....I could frankly give two sh*ts personally. I was just correcting you when you came in here boasting how the X-Men are still riding their wave from the 90s cartoon...that's silly......comic sales, fandom throughout the internet, successful films, video games, animated shows would all suggest otherwise.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shebba said:

From what I can see, Avengers seem to be more popular and is because the way X men have been leading. Leading to the villainous style and less Xavier's dreams. Yup is how it is now. It's sad though.

Sad, but true...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.