Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is this what Cyclops meant by "No More Avengers" ?

• 165 results
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I don't even know what to say at this point.

(Spoiler alert: If you haven't readAvengers vs. X-Men issue 5, in stores and online today, you may not want to read any further.)

In the new issue ofAvengers vs. X-Men, the Avengers tussle with the X-Men on the moon and Tony Stark uses special Iron Man armor to stop the incoming Phoenix Force from obliterating Earth and possessing the mutant Hope Summers as its new host.

Mission accomplished? Not so much. Stark instead broke the Phoenix energy into five parts and it inhabited not one butfive mutants — X-Men leader Cyclops, Emma Frost, Namor the Sub-Mariner, Colossus and his younger sister Majik — making them all-powerful and shifting the dynamic of Marvel's 12-issue event series.

"The mutants are now the Earth's mightiest heroes, capable of doing all this cosmic-scale, epic (stuff). And the Avengers are scrambling to keep up and keep things in perspective," says the issue's writer, Matt Fraction.

Making the Avengers walk a mile in the X-Men's underdog shoes was appealing to the Marvel brain trust, according to executive editor Tom Brevoort. "It completely changes the stakes and completely changes the landscape of the story and where it's going."

The new chapter acts as the end ofAvX's first act, and leads into the beginning of the second in issue 6, out June 20 and featuring writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Olivier Coipel. (It was also featured in a second digital Infinite comic from Mark Waid.)

The sixth issue picks up some weeks after the Phoenix Five has assumed a place of power in the world, but seemingly for the betterment of the globe. While it's not often a great thing when the Phoenix possesses somebody (see: Jean Grey in the "Dark Phoenix Saga" from the 1980s), Cyclops and his people work to create a better world for mutantkind taking down Sentinel plants but also creating sustainable energy sources in a sort of super-utopia.

"Undoubtedly, a lot of what the X-Men are doing, it's fist-pumpingly cool," says Marvel's editor in chief, Axel Alonso. "Of course the looming question is, at what cost? And will there be a tipping point?"

Adds Fraction: "They're wildly evolving the world overnight. They're doing the work of a Phoenix, only instead of one there's five and each one has their own personality and thoughts, and things are great at first. But they're the X-Men. They're going to stop getting along at some point, and batten down the hatches."

Meanwhile, the Avengers are hiding out and watching of all this unfold, and there will be some differences of opinion about what's going on. However, Captain America isn't going to back down, which causes Cyclops to make the statement that Marvel already is using as a teaser for theAvX second act: "No more Avengers."

While Cap isn't real pleased on how the story's going so far, Alonso has heard overwhelmingly positive response forAvengers vs. X-Men— Marvel is on the fifth printing of the first issue, he says, and sales already have eclipsed that of the popularCivil War from from 2006-07, makingAvX Marvel's biggest event series to date.

The series also has played to the strengths of its writers and artists. Fraction, who wrote theFear Itself event, taps into the emotional consequences of the Phoenix in issue 5, while the next issue allows Hickman to engage in some science-y, large-scale world building similar to the work he has recently done inFantastic Four andS.H.I.E.L.D.

"The goal for every issue is to tell the story, of course, but to also reflect the idiosyncrasies of the individual writer," says Hickman, who also is writing issue 8, the finale of the second act. "As such, each script has interesting little nudges to poke the story in one direction that's our preference, and it gets picked up on by the others.

Alonso figured that fans were expecting Hope to be the host for the Phoenix, since she has been the one destined to be it for as long as she has been alive, or maybe Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch, as a dark-horse candidate.

The swerve of the Phoenix Five was hatched a year ago during a Marvel retreat at writer Brian Michael Bendis' house in Portland, Ore., and Brevoort says that none of the five — who all wear snazzy, matching Phoenix duds — were chosen haphazardly.

"There's a specific reason it resonates that it would be these five," Alonso confirms. "It has to do with what our master plan for these characters has been for some time."

In trying for decades to reach a sense of stability for all mutants, Cyclops has driven away teammates — namely Wolverine — and is seemingly inching closer to a dark side as the man also known as Scott Summers leads his troops.

"It's no different necessarily than Cap standing on top of a rampart barking orders to all the other heroes in the world — only it's the X-Men and people have a natural distrust and suspicion toward them," Fraction explains. "When Scott stands on top of the same rampart and barks an order, it might raise an eyebrow."

Alonso, a former X-Men group editor, says Cyclops is his favorite X-Man because his story is so compelling but also poignant and tragic. "He's had to make a lot of tough calls. Cyclops may very well think that some of the stuff he's doing is going to send him to hell, but he'd do it for his people. That's why I love him so much.

"Now what Cyclops has been given is the power to shape the world in his image, to save his people."

However, guys like Namor may be more worrisome than the X-Men's general, according to the editor in chief. "We've given readers evidence to believe that if power corrupts, then it's going to corrupt the most corruptible sooner, right?"

The triangle of Cyclops, Namor and Emma Frost also will twist and get a lot messier.

"Stories we've been building to for an awful long time, the kettles are starting to boil and this kind of power bestowed on the three of them — on top of their already complicated interpersonal stuff — makes for some real fireworks, emotionally and literally," says Fraction, who also is scriptingAvX issue 7.

There also is a big story to be told with Wanda and Hope — the two characters at the center of Bendis and Jason Aaron'sAvX zero-issue prologue — who are on a collision course to finally meet.

The X-Men have taken Hope with them, and she's coming to grips with maybe not having the special destiny everybody told her she'd have. Meanwhile, Wanda will come back to center stage, and the former Avenger is "a potent symbol" beyond her abilities but is still the woman who's responsible for depowering 99% of the mutant population, Brevoort says.

"Even though some of these matters have been talked through in the past, none of this has really been settled and it's a provocative thing to have happen," he adds. "John Wilkes Booth is coming out after the play, and you're going, 'It was a very nice play, yes, but there is that thing you did in the middle of it and we really haven't dealt with that.' "

Upcoming issues ofAvX will explore Hope and Wanda's relationship and what they think of each other, Fraction says. "Longtime readers and folks just into the event will get to see when these two secret weapons on both sides are put in a room together in the middle of this war."

In addition, Professor X will be making an important appearance in issue 6 — "Scott's tether to what life was like before cosmic consciousness was bestowed upon him," Fraction says — and Iron Fist will play a significant role in Act 2 ofAvX. Recent issues ofNew Avengers have flashed back to the history between former Iron Fists and Phoenixes past.

In issue 6, Brevoort says current Iron Fist Danny Rand "does something kinda funky in a fight sequence that is an indicator of things to come," and Fraction adds that "our midpoint pivot all hinges on Danny."

As big as the Phoenix Five reveal is in issue 5, another major revelation comes at the end of Act 2 "that will clearly test both Avengers and X-Men alike as we get down to the nub of where this whole thing has been going all along," Brevoort says.

The "game-changing moment" will lead into the final round of this grand bout, says Alonso, who looks at it in boxing terms.

"It comes down to heart, grit, stamina — just the will to win," he says. "When it comes to that endgame, it's about what are people willing to win, and the most fascinating stories are always ones which you challenge the reader to think differently.

"What we're willing to do, where we're willing to go with the material, there will be people (ticked off) at what we're willing to do at the end of this act."

...Um, discuss ?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@lykopis said:

I feel nauseous.

Cyclops' outift alone is enough to make me hurl...I can't even complete thoughts.

LOL. Still haven't managed to wrap my head around the wohle thing either. Cyclops looks like he's wearing a...um...nvm.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

POWER RANGERS MERGE, MEGAZORD GESTALT TIME! KAI EN TAI!!!!!!!!!

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By AweSam

I like Cyclops' Nightwing costume.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@AgeofHurricane said:

@lykopis said:

I feel nauseous.

Cyclops' outift alone is enough to make me hurl...I can't even complete thoughts.

LOL. Still haven't managed to wrap my head around the wohle thing either. Cyclops looks like he's wearing a...um...nvm.

It looks like he's wearing a thong, but it's incorporated into a whole costume. I like it! Colossus is cool, too.

Emma's outfit is ugly and boring compared to the others.

Magik with the power of the Phoenix seems cool. Too bad the concept doesn't make sense for her; she'd immediately be on the march to conquer other dimensions, IMO.

Too bad they jumped the shark with the Phoenix thing. This all powerful, nigh omniscient cosmic entity seems to be pretty vulnerable to getting broken apart by future technology, which makes it look very weak. The Phoenix as a concept really need to just go away and it looks like this storyline might do it.

aerokinesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aerokinesis

WOW! IM KINDA DISAPPOINTED MAGNETO AND STORM AREN'T APART OF THE PHOENIX FIVE...MUST SUCK BEING LEFT ON EARTH

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

i kind of love this.... haha

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

Fck logic.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

LMAO XD
    BB

aerokinesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By aerokinesis

@AgeofHurricane: Hey, is that storm in the background making it rain in the magik and colossus pic?

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aerokinesis said:

@AgeofHurricane: Hey, is that storm in the background making it rain in the magik and colossus pic?

I think so. You mean the lower left? It looks like Magik is in Limbo and Storm is helping her make it into a vibrant, beautiful place with farms and meadows by bringing rain.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@aerokinesis said:

Y'know, i didn't even observe that. And it looks like Nu-Angel is above her.

aerokinesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By aerokinesis

@PhoenixoftheTides: @AgeofHurricane:

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Osian2

I love the idea! AvX has been really dull so far and i didn't expect this at all. I can't wait, it seems like this event might actually turn out to be something memorable and there's so much potential to be had with the five phoenix users. What will happen between Emma, Scott and Namor? Is Colossus still the juggernaut? Is Magik evil? Why would the Avengers oppose them when they seem to doing great thing for the entire world? and the most important question: Is Jean coming ***ing back or not!?! and how will everyone react if she does.

All in all though i'm excited for this especially after how dull and moronic the event has been so far this has the potentail to make things interesting.

Oh and Colossus has hair again yay :D

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I'm sorry but this just looks bloody stupid.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

Now they're straight up taking a dump on their own cannon rules about the pheonix. Jean Grey was chosen because of the nature and level of her power that made her compatible with it. The only good thing about this is maybe Cain gets to be the Juggernaut again

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad whatever changes that will be made would be retconned immediately in some way.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Manchine

Interesting little twist. Can't wait to see how the Xmen deal with being number 1 instead of the underdog that they normally are. Of course for once they have the power to back it up. I think Emma is gonna be the first to turn. This might change her back to what she is suppose to be, the villain.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Manchine said:

Interesting little twist. Can't wait to see how the Xmen deal with being number 1 instead of the underdog that they normally are. Of course for once they have the power to back it up. I think Emma is gonna be the first to turn. This might change her back to what she is suppose to be, the villain.

If anyone "turns", my money will be on Namor and Illyana. It's in their characters and they have entire realms under their control. Anyway, I'll do as I've been doing and scan this in the shop, but all I expect to happen at the end is massive retconning and then some platitudes about how impossible it is to control the Phoenix, etc etc, maybe a splash page of Jean coming back in a dream sequence for a moment, Hope being a jerk...the usual return to the status quo.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dman1366

I hope Collosus stays Juggy. Juggyphoenixcollosalnuat is awesome. On a side note, i really don't want Kitty to get back with him. As for the story. Amazing. They finally turned this story around for the better.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By fesak  Moderator

For information, powerlevels has nothing to do with controlling the Phoenix Force. A normal human could do it, so it's not that stupid.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dman1366

@fesak said:

For information, powerlevels has nothing to do with controlling the Phoenix Force. A normal human could do it, so it's not that stupid.

truth

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By htb106

@AweSam: I knew I recognised it from somewhere!

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@aerokinesis said:

WOW! IM KINDA DISAPPOINTED MAGNETO AND STORM AREN'T APART OF THE PHOENIX FIVE...MUST SUCK BEING LEFT ON EARTH

same here

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hectorsquall

"There's a specific reason it resonates that it would be these five," Alonso confirms. "It has to do with what our master plan for these characters has been for some time."

"What we're willing to do, where we're willing to go with the material, there will be people (ticked off) at what we're willing to do at the end of this act."

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By umbrafeline

so the phoenix force makes the bald grow hair on their scalps again as seen on colossus? it could be a medical breakthrough for chrome-domes everywhere. maybe

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Is this some kind of joke? Am I on Punk'd?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mercy_

The fck?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

If you buy this series, you're a terrible person. 

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    The swerve of the Phoenix Five was hatched a year ago during a Marvel retreat at writer Brian Michael Bendis' house in Portland, Ore., and Brevoort says that none of the five — who all wear snazzy, matching Phoenix duds — were chosen haphazardly.

Just as I suspected.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#31  Edited By TDK_1997

This looks like some kind of a Phoenix army and it sucks so much that I'm starting to hate Marvel so much that if I become a psycopath or a killer I would every single guy that works there.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Wowzers...I like it.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dman1366

@Illuminatus said:

Just as I suspected.

hahahahaha

@TDK_1997 said:

This looks like some kind of a Phoenix army and it sucks so much that I'm starting to hate Marvel so much that if I become a psycopath or a killer I would every single guy that works there.

its not that bad, honestly

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@FadeToBlackBolt: Remember what you were saying about Cyclops the other day? I'm starting to agree.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Illuminatus: Sad that it's come to that =T
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@FadeToBlackBolt: I hope he dies, honestly. I hope Logan runs him through.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

If this happens I'm gonna blame you for it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#38  Edited By TDK_1997

@Dman1366:The designs aren't that bad but the idea sucks and I hate Cyclops' mask.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

If this happens I'm gonna blame you for it.

Why? It's not like the House of Ideas is so desperate for ideas that they lurk comic book websites for ideas............

..but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Illuminatus said:

No. Logan is terrible. If Cyclops is to die, it must be at the hands of a better character. Which basically means any character. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

:)

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Illuminatus said:

No. Logan is terrible. If Cyclops is to die, it must be at the hands of a better character. Which basically means any character.

Win.

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus said:

:)

Maybe Namor will show Emma his...umm...trident.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus: T___T noooooo

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Raiiyn

@Illuminatus said:

Yes... He should. IMMEDIATELY.

@hectorsquall said:

Le sigh... I have a very, really very, bad feeling about this.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@Mercy_: "Come, my luscious White Queen, and savor my pelvic might."

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus: ...

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Illuminatus said:

"Oh wow, someone is a guppy, not a shark." - Emma Frost on Namor's "pelvic might"
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReVamp

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Illuminatus said:

I want to see your reaction when Frog-Man kills him.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mercy_

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Illuminatus said:

"Oh wow, someone is a guppy, not a shark." - Emma Frost on Namor's "pelvic might"

LMMFAO. Luke, I love you.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ReVamp said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Illuminatus said:

I want to see your reaction when Frog-Man kills him.

I will be fine with that.  

@Mercy_ said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Illuminatus said:

LMMFAO. Luke, I love you.

=P <3

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.