Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is Marvel tying to destroy X-Men comics??

Foxman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Foxman22

hello all. we all know the Marvel Studios VS Fox war is making its way into the comic world. I for one am greatly saddened. I've loved X-Men comics since I was 11. Below is an article from a few months ago (link below). Please read it and comment. I'm curious what others think of it and if anyone one has heard move info on this topic.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/06/02/is-marvel-still-trying-to-destroy-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-3274585?lt_source=external,manual

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

Forget the X-Men I'm worried they're going to destroy their whole Marvel line with these things they've been coming up with.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By boschePG

@dernman: @foxman22:

I was more of an Avenger fan but always respected the X-Men. Since WD owns Marvel now you can see they make some influences on the comics series. My favorite guy, Hank Pym, pretty much got killed off into Marvel limbo since he "hit" his wife years ago. I agree with Dernman, Im not thrilled with a lot of stuff Marvel is doing. I prefer DC more now and Im a MARVEL guy

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just because someone makes an article doesn't mean it's true

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
    GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're just winding down excess capacity and betting the rights come back to Disney eventually after Singer leaves the series again. It's a good long game since Fantastic Four seems cursed. If they can't make a go of it with X-Men as a series in that far-flung future, Disney might be able to trade them rights to something else Fox wants and get Marvel's properties back for post-Avengers movies, or at least get the permission to use characters like the original X-Men who aren't half as toyetic as Wolverine. If something peripheral like Deadpool merits a sequel or two for Fox based on box office, they could always keep the rights that Fox wants with Fox. Plus, Marvel Studios can always replace "Marvel's Inhumans" with "Marvel's X-Men" on their schedule if they get the rights back, and they'd do it in a heartbeat.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

@boschepg: Uck I hated his death. They made a OGN but it went unnoticed. It's had zero impact on the marvel universe. Absorbed by Ultron in the past and nothing. Ant-Man just gave away his Gaint Man persona to some random dude and that was it.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@dernman: exactly. I don't ever to see Pym again

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. A company tries to make money they aren't trying to damage brands that make them money.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. A company tries to make money they aren't trying to damage brands that make them money.

While I don't agree with all the extreme things some fans believe (there isn't a big conspiracy, just a shift in priorities till they get what they want)

I think that your understating the level of strategy that goes into the business plans of a company trying to gain control over an asset they have a claim to. Marvel makes money from the X-Men brand, but a number of those profits are also claimed by Fox. If an X-Men cartoon makes $20 we know Fox (being the likely producer and holding media rights) wants to see $10. When Marvel not only originated the characters but also has a studio of their own capable of producing the cartoon and allowing them to pocket the full $20 if they didn't have to deal with Fox. So rather then deal with that, their playing hardball and making money from other newly established properties while still pocketing money from X-Men films but not allowing Fox to further expand on and tighten their hold (and interest) over the X-Men property. The reality is that "damaging" (more accurately not pushing) the brand helps them by hopefully discouraging Fox from continuing the partnership and opening the door for future pushing of the brand.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many times am I going to see this same topic?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: My comment was directly addressing the delusional conspiracy fans that think they are purposely making bad stories and killing off the characters when the reality is they're just pushing different characters that they do own fully.

That being said they haven't abandoned the characters either there are quite a lot of characters being used that Fox does own being used in different ways. There is also the fact that they aren't creating new mutants that is the only thing I can see being directly tied to the movie rights because they'd essentially be creating characters for Fox to use in their movies that could potentially help keep the rights.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Ah, understandable.

Though there's also the lack of merchandise both movie based and original that has been very limited. Aside from a rerelease of X-Men TAS action figures a couple years ago, there really hasn't been even a T-shirt with an X logo released through official channels.

I'll stipulate that X-Books being poorly written and managed may be a result of people in editorial being less encouraged to be hands on with creative as they are with other franchises, but it could just as easily be the difficulties of working with a political power like Bendis, or a lack of interested talented writers to choose from. So while theres an obvious problem on the creative side, there could be a lot of reasons..

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is definitely downgrading the X-MEN and trying to replace them with the Inhumans. I didn't used to believe it until are started to notice the evidence, no X-MEN animated series sense 2009, Marvel cancelling a large amount of X-MEN merchandise, them photoshoping X-MEN characters off book covers, them retconning the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch to where they were never Magneto's children, and it looks like there isn't going to be as many X-books when Marvel relaunches. So, yea I am worried about the X-MEN, but all I can do is keep reading them and encourage us to do so.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Marvel is trying to downgrade the X-men and the Fantastic four. But I would not say that they are trying to destory them.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: I remember when people kept on complaining about TOO MANY X-Titles, as they didn't have enough money ti buy them all each month.

Also, the inhumans are poor substitutes for mutants, as inhumans have power, respect and are currently growing. Nothing the mutants have at all right now!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

them photoshoping X-MEN characters off book covers

Where did they do this?? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just I want to see for myself.
    Also, I notice people often claim that Marvel hadn't had an X-Men cartoon produced since 2009, which isn't true. Marvels Anime venture with Madhouse animation featured 4 mini series, out of the four 2 were X-Men based. One was actually an X-Men series and one featured Wolverine. These were released in 2011. There was also a motion comic based on Joss Whedons run that was released in 2012.
    william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By william300

@cattlebattle: take a look at this. http://io9.com/whats-behind-marvels-campaign-to-remove-the-x-men-from-1707514860

As for the anime and motion comic. Only hard core comic fans (like myself) actually watched those, the general populace isn't going to watch those.

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
    GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People seem unable to understand that this isn't all-or-nothing. These are decisions with obvious causes. Marvel is doing exactly what you'd expect them to do: taking measured steps based on their financial interests.

Ever since the first days of X-Factor and New Mutants, the once-unpopular X-Men characters have done enough business to sell a line of books all their own that merited its own Editor-in-Chief at one point. They are also successful enough as a movie franchise for Fox, with more hits than misses, and if Marvel ever gets the big-screen rights back, they want to continue that momentum (or at least invoke its memory if they get the rights after Fox flubs a few movies).

Marvel won't kill the X-Men line, but they're going to prune it back and they're not going to lose sleep over its sales because Disney wants Marvel Entertainment (the TV/comics/toys Disney office under Perlmutter) to play nice with Marvel Studios (the Disney office under Feige) and Marvel Studios' best interest is often opposed to that of 20th Century Fox.

Fantastic Four isn't quite the same as a product. The characters have just not proven to be as popular in any media, for Marvel, Fox or anyone, and they don't sell as many books for Marvel as the X-Men do, or not since the early '70s at the latest. Instead, the Four are a venerable grandfathered-in institution, Marvel's First Family, Jack Kirby's baby, and they've had some of superhero comics' most influential writers and artists behind them down through the years.

They've even managed to float a couple series at once for a year or two at a time, with Fantastic Force in the 1990s,Ultimate Fantastic Four in the 2000s and the combined sales power of Mike Allred, Jonathan Hickman and a lot of other big names in the last decade. And every few years, someone takes a swing at an all-audiences movie series based on the book and Hollywood gets excited about it for a couple months.

No one ever expects it to last and it never does. There's a reason Fantastic Four 2099 folded after eight issues while X-Men 2099 lasted three years. It might not be the same reason the movies failed, but that repeat failure is even more important in the equation than the steady-not-heady sales numbers of Fantastic Four the book, which, after all, has always done better than Ant-Man or Captain Marvel.

But Marvel Studios can't make the movie and the rights aren't that attractive a get for them anyway, so it's moot. The Fantastic Four are a fun and quirky story, but one that doesn't sell as well and that's never translated well to cinema for whatever reason, and it makes little sense for Marvel to continue to print a book that, to Disney, looks like a Disney-subsidized advertisement for Fox's movies. So, Fantastic Four the book got canned, but if Marvel sees money in it later, it'll reappear. (In the meantime, there's fifty plus years of stories about the Fantastic Four already out there to read, and I'd suggest starting at the very beginning to see how what we know as "Marvel" truly came to be.)

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Noctum

Marvel already did. I mean, look at where they are standing right now. Heck, didn't the x-men did not made it through Secret Wars? I heard they didn't. Look at the Extraordinary X-Men team. Do they look like the original ones? Wolverine Old, Storm much younger, Jean as a Teenage, and on and on and on. Marvel destroyed them long time ago. The Inhumans are what matter now (thanks FOX)

Darkpesmerga10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darkpesmerga10

@noctum: Storm is the same lol, old man logan wolverine since 616 wolverine is still dead so is 616 jean grey. Young jean grey is the one from the past, she left the original past xmen that were dragged to the future. Xmen made it through secret wars 3 main xtitles though we don't know there stance in the world since they are hated more then ever. Their a mutant in about every title of marvel that is no a solo hero issue. Also no one looks how they originally looked. Also Mutants where in like every secret war title, if anything they could of tried using other characters, Even none xtitles had mutants characters as prominent characters. Not like im gonna complain loved seeing them get the spotlight.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Well, this is very sad.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inhumans should just go jump a rope. I hope this event is made just to get people to hate inhumans and then kill them all off, like they did with Hank Pym.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've seen... Marvel take many disappointing actions... But I love my Storm and X-men

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noctum: Storm is the same lol, old man logan wolverine since 616 wolverine is still dead so is 616 jean grey. Young jean grey is the one from the past, she left the original past xmen that were dragged to the future. Xmen made it through secret wars 3 main xtitles though we don't know there stance in the world since they are hated more then ever. Their a mutant in about every title of marvel that is no a solo hero issue. Also no one looks how they originally looked. Also Mutants where in like every secret war title, if anything they could of tried using other characters, Even none xtitles had mutants characters as prominent characters. Not like im gonna complain loved seeing them get the spotlight.

According to cbr, the only one that made it through secret wars was Cyclops and Doctor Doom kill him. The only one from the Xmen and there were no Storm, Jean, Colosus, Iceman, etc. According to some people, the X-men are dead and those X-men you're seeing are from other different universes. Earth 616 merged with other Earth so who knows?

Darkpesmerga10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Darkpesmerga10

@noctum: you do know the omniverse is re-established. while i don't know why miles morales, the maker and old man logan don't go back to their timelines. Most of the stories Post secret wars pick up where pre secret wars left off. So obviously if you die when the multiverse collapsed you they aren't gonna stay dead. What does this mean, how does everyone return to life. I have not idea we have to wait for the next 4 issues of secret wars.

P.s. the cbr thing, is talking about who survived to make it to Battleworld, we don't know what happen after battleworld is gone and the omniverse is restored.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.