Is Chuck Austen's X-Men as terrible as I heard?

• 75 results
#51 Posted by Jake Fury (19575 posts) - - Show Bio

DH I'll let you borrow my Draco issues and be the judge for yourself. 

#52 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio

<_< I may just DL it. 

#53 Posted by SC (13749 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @SC said:
" @Alternaut:  @The Dark Huntress:   Two words... oh and when I mean two words, I mean two male organs of a particular type, and how Nightcrawler has two... well, "three tails" 0_o  (lol) Austen you crazy dreamer...  "
O_______O "

Austen said it in an interview, therefore, its canon.  

In this case its two canons.  

0_____o
#54 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @SC said:
" @Alternaut:  @The Dark Huntress:   Two words... oh and when I mean two words, I mean two male organs of a particular type, and how Nightcrawler has two... well, "three tails" 0_o  (lol) Austen you crazy dreamer...  "
O_______O "
 Austen said it in an interview, therefore, its canon.   In this case its two cannons.   0_____o "
Fixed ;) 

But oi that's crazy. >_<
#55 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @SC said:
O_______O "
 Austen said it in an interview, therefore, its canon.   In this case its two canons.   0_____o "
NO. STOP. 

DISREGARD ANYTHING CHUCK AUSTEN HAS EVER SAID.
#56 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: You are so disgusting for that.
#57 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut said:
" @SC said:
" @SC said:
O_______O "
 Austen said it in an interview, therefore, its canon.   In this case its two canons.   0_____o "
NO. STOP.  DISREGARD ANYTHING CHUCK AUSTEN HAS EVER SAID. "
But he was making a dirty joke...how can I ignore that? D:
#58 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut said:
" @The Dark Huntress: You are so disgusting for that. "
I'm disgusting for a lot of things. Can you be specific please? ^_^
#59 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio

I WANT THIS THREAD TO GO AWAY NOW. IT'S MAKING ME CRY.

#60 Posted by SC (13749 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  lol, yes, astute correction.  

@Alternaut: I know how you feel, I am similar, but I am at that stage its more funny than bad. I struggle to find it hard to like... hate runs. To me there are good runs, and then runs that are ripe for making fun of and laughing at. lol Austen's is... yeah. You liked Milligan's run? I usually find its a toss up for people about Austen's, Milligan, and Fraction.(being the most hated)
#61 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: I can honestly say that when I first started reading Milligan's run I preferred Austen's X-Men work [mind you, at this point I still hadn't read his Uncanny X-Men work]. A big part of why I preferred Austen's was because Milligan's run was about the most random sh!t like Golgotha and Polaris meeting space aliens named Daap who was actually Doop. It wasn't so much bad writing as it was poor concepts, IMO. I enjoy Fraction the most, I like his concepts, his executions on those concepts are what make his stories bad. So if I had to put them in any order I'd put Fraction above Milligan and Austen at the bottom. 
#62 Posted by SC (13749 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut said:
" @SC: I can honestly say that when I first started reading Milligan's run I preferred Austen's X-Men work [mind you, at this point I still hadn't read his Uncanny X-Men work]. A big part of why I preferred Austen's was because Milligan's run was about the most random sh!t like Golgotha and Polaris meeting space aliens named Daap who was actually Doop. It wasn't so much bad writing as it was poor concepts, IMO. I enjoy Fraction the most, I like his concepts, his executions on those concepts are what make his stories bad. So if I had to put them in any order I'd put Fraction above Milligan and Austen at the bottom.  "

Nice break down. Similar to my opinion on them, except I am a Gambit fan, a Rogue fan, and a Apocalypse fan. Oh and X-Statix as well, So the characterization of the three characters... was extra painful, plus I expected more from Milligan. lol so I put Austen a bit higher... anyway yeah, nice breakdown. I put Fraction above both by a little too. Plus hindsight and all that may factor. 
#63 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut:  
Holy War...Holy War was worse, also written by Austen lol. 
#64 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
" @Alternaut:  Holy War...Holy War was worse, also written by Austen lol.  "
LOL. I actually didn't read Holy War so I wouldn't know. 
#65 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  
I can make sense of it. :) 

Azazel is a mutant from a group known as the  Neyaphem . He is a long lived mutant from biblical times and served as the inspiration for the Judeo Christian conception of Shai'Tan, Satan, The Devil, etc.  anyways. His power like his descendants was teleportation. Azazel and and Nightcrawler travel through a place known as the Brimstone dimension (think of the in between place from X-Men evolution). He eventually comes to control the mutants living in the brimstone dimension and forms an army with the intentions of ruling the world. During a war with a rival mutant clan known as the Cheyarafim  (Angel's ancestors) he and his forces were defeated and he was sentenced to the Brimstone dimension. Not only is he a mutant but he's also a master of dark magic and a high ranking sorcerer in the Marvel U. This allows him to periodically escape his prison and return to our world. He devises a plan to spawn children throughout  time, these children would share his abilities (Austen took the position of powers being a genetic trait like hair/eye color) and would be able to break the bonds of the spell which held him in exile allowing a portal to be created which he could permanently escape through and reignite his war for domination. Kurt was one of these many children he fathered throughout time. Azazel's able to control the minds of his children from the brimstone dimension and summons them all to  implement his plan of escape.     
#66 Edited by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut:  
It first came to my attention while watching Linkara rip on it during an episode of Atop The 4th Wall. I was thinking, okay, this sounds bad but can't be THAT BAD. So I happened upon all of Austen's run at my local shop and decided to check it out myself...it was umm, dear God. Even my friend who loves Austen's run is quick to admit this was a ball drop of Hiroshima proportions. The basic plot is this. A villain plans to make Kurt the pope, expose him as a mutant, hoax the rapture (not Catholic theology mind you), and make people reject the organized church for her anti-mutant extremest sect. Schyeah...Did I mention it opens with members of Generation X being crucified?
#67 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
" @Alternaut:  Holy War...Holy War was worse, also written by Austen lol.  "
I did not dislike it at the time of reading it. Hangs head in shame.
#68 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29515 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: What was it about and what was wrong with it? Holy War, I mean :0
#69 Posted by Mercy_ (91943 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Holy War is the arc when the Purifiers/Church of Humanity kind of set after the X-Men hardcore. They leave some of Gen. X crucified on the front lawn of the Institute. Skin dies as well as a few others. The only thing that saves Jubilee is Archangel's healing blood. Oh and Lorna descends deeper into madness.
#70 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123:  
 This guy's review of these two issues pretty much hits the nail on the head 

423/424
#71 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (24352 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. His X-Men run is absolutely loathsome.

#72 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

One must realize that one must NOT let your penis write issues of X-Men. Unfortunately that is Austen's style as he clearly was tempered on the anvil of the penthouse letters section. Absolutely terrible and I honestly think what he did was as bad as Morrison's run. Maybe worse and that is bad that I (of all people) say that. So there you have it.

#73 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it's much, much worse.

#74 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Yes...yes it was! Curse my need to know things for myself!

#75 Posted by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

For as much blame as Austen editorial deserves so much more. Did anyone read these things before they were sent out? Why were the storylines approved in the first place?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.