Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is Bendis doing a good job on Uncanny X-Men(Marvel Now)

• 84 results
    camd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By camd

@time: I think he is doing a great job...interesting developments

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@Ren_:

*Cyber Hiii5 returned*

you get a instant follow for that. I love Hiii5's

(+)

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Bachalo's art doesn't fit the book, imo. For something more edgy and indy, sure.. not an x-book. Heck, I'd rather see Madureira on this book than Bachalo.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By chasereis

@DarkxSeraph said:

Bachalo's art doesn't fit the book, imo. For something more edgy and indy, sure.. not an x-book. Heck, I'd rather see Madureira on this book than Bachalo.

Great choice.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@IllyanaRasputin said:

I'm currently liking UXM, like I've stated before in other threads, I'm enjoying what Bendis is doing with Cyclops and his team. So far it really hasn't centered around Cyclops which is a nice change, and also Time's right, it's only been 2 issues, it's a little hard to judge the book just yet. However, I do like the dialogue that Cyclops and Emma had in this current issues (yes even though Emma would never act that way), he's trying to change her up a bit, and for the most part it's not too horrible.

It's "fresh" in the way that they're going back to their old ways before Utopia, Second Coming, Messiah Complex. They're opening an Xavier School for the Gifted, they're recruiting new mutants and saving them from Sentinels, they're GIVING them a choice, if they want to stay they can, or they can go to the JGS or they can go back home - but they're keeping them safe, and soon (hopefully) we'll be seeing them get trained and taught by Emma and the X-Men. It's definitely going to have a familiar flow like it did in the original X-Men comics, and I think it's good for us and especially for new readers to get a sense of what X-Men do.

I don't think an issue count should matter, maybe for particular purposes, but juxtapose this next Gillen's Uncanny and people were judging it right off the bat, being the best X-Book in years. LOL.

That doesn't make much--in fact any--sense at all. "Fresh" because they seem to be doing what they did in the old days ? Yeah, no sense. And the mutants have always had a choice. No need to emphasize on that aspect, i don't see anything particularly new here because new readers have always seen what the X-Men are capable of, that group of fringe propagation doesn't consist of dyslexic 5-7 yr olds who've no access to wikipedia.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By DarkxSeraph

There really are no 'new' stories or 'new territories' with which to take the X-Men. They've been around since the 60s--the core of what the team is and stands for has been gone over again and again in stories. And, in general, there are no 'new concepts' to be brought to story. Just variations on a theme.

It's all in the telling, really.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@DarkxSeraph: I agree with you there.

The art is good, but IMHO it just doesn't fit the book.

But I do like the way the facial expressions were drawn. Seemed a little ( just a LITTLE ) manga-ish lol.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Veitha

The book is very cool, but Emma is a big problem. I love the fact that he's giving her a central role, but then I really don't like how he writes her.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CTG

@Dman1366 said:

@time: just to make you feel better. I would say that 99% of the populations hates things because they can. People hate all the x-books because they can. Does that stop them from you liking them? no. Like what like. I LOVE WatX and everyone on here hates it (yet somehow gets every issue). Nothing will ever be as good as the last, and everyone always did it better in "their time". Years from now, people will say how the new x-men is super shitty compared to Bendis and Aaron's run. That is life. Dave, the guy who runs the comic shop i go to, always says that people will find a way to hate something, and you will never change their minds.

TL;DR enjoy the book, doesn't make you less of a person. Internet is a hate machine, do not trust reviews.

This x10.

I don't even want to add anything, everything up there is truth.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veshark said:

I haven't read Uncanny X-Men, but his work on All-New X-Men is leagues ahead of his Avengers garbage.

If anything, Bendis on X-Men is a lot more enjoyable than him on Avengers. Now the only trick is getting him to leave before he becomes overstretched and drained of ideas...

That's the problem, where would Bendis go next after the X-men?

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#61  Edited By thatlad

I've just read House Of M in full for the first time ($0.99 sale on comixology) and it's give me a richer appreciation for Bendis.

Let's just look at this for a second and think about the feat Bendis pulled off. 7 and a half years ago Bendis creates a massive crossover across Marvel Universe, repercussions felt in issues long after, the only thing comparable would have been secret wars. For secret wars the writers had to come up with a macguffin in the form of the beyonder, I'm not besmirching secret wars with that, I'm just trying to make the point that Bendis carefully constructed Wanda as a plot device where here powers naturally evolved to massive scale rather than invent a 'supreme being'. In fact she's the perfect plot point, she ties both the avengers and the x-men worlds together cohesively and the mental strain of her life it's pretty much logical in comicbook world that this could happen.

Now take a look at the story. Let's throw everything on the table, what can we do that is massive I mean seriously throw everything on the table, give everyone something that will effect them for years to come.

What's the worst thing we can do to Spider-Man? Take everything bad that ever happened to him, I mean EVERYTHING and make him forget it...then give it ALL back. I mean if that was an Osborn plan it'd be probably the worst thing he'd ever to to Peter.

Logan, what do we do with him? He's been knocking about for years, we've ran pretty much every story possible about his missing memories. Let's give them back. Seems easy right? Well not really because we're going to throw a whole other set of memories on top.

Strange, yeah let's make him fail completely. Let's do something so huge that it's going to have repercussions on him for years to come

X-Men, we should do something new with them....hmmm

I could go on but the main point I'm making is, this:

House Of M is how a crossover should be done, it should be huge, it should have massive repercussions on every single person involved. Not small two-issue "oh woe is me" I mean like serious storyline makers that will last months/years to come.

House of M, might not be perfect but it is a massive feat and probably the most impressive crossover when you consider the scope, lasting effects, cohesiveness of the story. This in turn leads to the criticism of not so much Bendis but Marvel in general. Name another storyline since that hits the same notes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have little faith in Bendis, but this has not been bad so far. There are some directions being hinted that I am skeptical about, but 2 issues in is way to early to judge. There is a lot of stuff going on that needs to be explained before I can really give an opinion.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlad: I think the only problem I had with "House of M" was how Wanda's character had to be destroyed in order to allow the event to happen. I happen to like Bendis, but honestly, I don't like how so many of his stories require characters to act in ways that their personalities from prior stories didn't necessarily support or how he requires plot devices to make these events work. My complaint is basically that he often pushes heroes down paths so dark that they can't really come back - Wanda, no matter how they tried to retcon it, is essentially a delusional murderess who should be getting counseling and nowhere near a superhero team. He seems to have a real problem making characters that believably go down dark paths without outside influences and he definitely seems to favor making the heroes into villains versus actually having villains for them to fight. I loved his runs on "Daredevil" & "Ultimate Spiderman" (and I've never liked Spiderman) and "Powers" but I am just not too entertained by his work with the X-Men or Avengers. I've been reading Marvel Comics for almost 24 years, and I immediately got turned off by "Avengers Disassembled", "Dark Reign" and "A vs X" - I recently realized that I haven't enjoyed most of the X books 100% in years! Luckily, I've found new stories and comics to follow, but I guess I'm just not a fan of Bendis' version of a superhero universe even though I like his noirish approach to other genres.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkxSeraph said:

There really are no 'new' stories or 'new territories' with which to take the X-Men. They've been around since the 60s--the core of what the team is and stands for has been gone over again and again in stories. And, in general, there are no 'new concepts' to be brought to story. Just variations on a theme. It's all in the telling, really.

I disagree with your premise but I understand what you are trying to say. Grant Morrison stated something very similar in interviews about his run on the "New X-Men" book. I think the primary problem for the X-Men is that they don't want to grow up - they have the same angst, the same cycles and variations of the same relationship dynamics because writers are too afraid to do what Claremont and Byrne wanted to do: have the senior members move on, semi-retire, start families and only show up for special missions leaving room for unknowns and younger members to carry on the name. The brand is so tied into needing certain characters on the roster so that they never really evolve.

@Veitha said:

The book is very cool, but Emma is a big problem. I love the fact that he's giving her a central role, but then I really don't like how he writes her.

If a character loses every element that made them who they were, they might as well be new, and that's not always a good thing. I do think that needing drama and personal upheavals to explore new facets of a personality is the easy way out for many writers. It's a lot more chilling to see how different sides of one character trait can be a benefit in one situation and a detriment in another.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DarkxSeraph

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@DarkxSeraph said:

There really are no 'new' stories or 'new territories' with which to take the X-Men. They've been around since the 60s--the core of what the team is and stands for has been gone over again and again in stories. And, in general, there are no 'new concepts' to be brought to story. Just variations on a theme. It's all in the telling, really.

I disagree with your premise but I understand what you are trying to say. Grant Morrison stated something very similar in interviews about his run on the "New X-Men" book. I think the primary problem for the X-Men is that they don't want to grow up - they have the same angst, the same cycles and variations of the same relationship dynamics because writers are too afraid to do what Claremont and Byrne wanted to do: have the senior members move on, semi-retire, start families and only show up for special missions leaving room for unknowns and younger members to carry on the name. The brand is so tied into needing certain characters on the roster so that they never really evolve.

Actually, you missed what i was trying to say. And Morrison aside, it's a writer's quandary. No story these days is truly original. The themes and basic premises (internal/external struggle, the moral choices placed before protagonists, the classic 'hero's journey,' etc) have all been done before. It's the details and the telling that make them 'unique.'

It's the way an author/writer tells the tale that makes us interested. The general themes acceptance vs. prejudice, alienation vs. belonging, etc, etc all these things have been written of before ad nausea. Each writer just puts their own spin on it.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkxSeraph said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@DarkxSeraph said:

Actually, you missed what i was trying to say. And Morrison aside, it's a writer's quandary. No story these days is truly original. The themes and basic premises (internal/external struggle, the moral choices placed before protagonists, the classic 'hero's journey,' etc) have all been done before. It's the details and the telling that make them 'unique.'

It's the way an author/writer tells the tale that makes us interested. The general themes acceptance vs. prejudice, alienation vs. belonging, etc, etc all these things have been written of before ad nausea. Each writer just puts their own spin on it.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining!

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Veshark

@Death Certificate said:

@Veshark said:

I haven't read Uncanny X-Men, but his work on All-New X-Men is leagues ahead of his Avengers garbage.

If anything, Bendis on X-Men is a lot more enjoyable than him on Avengers. Now the only trick is getting him to leave before he becomes overstretched and drained of ideas...

That's the problem, where would Bendis go next after the X-men?

Guardians of the Galaxy from the looks of it?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By SavageDragon

I like a lot of Bendis's work but Im not digging this series. Not a fan of the art.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By dangallant984

though I wasn't completely hooked by the first issue, the second has me much more intrigued. I will actually be more surprised if Cyclops isn't behind Magneto's apparent betrayal, I think he's at least aware of it; either they're both playing SHIELD, or Cyclops is playing Magneto:, either way, I'm curious.

And we got a little more team time, still not completely sold on the new kids, but we get more Emma and Magik, so that's cool. This issue actually did make me interested in those two again, probably more than the entirety of the last series (vol.2).

HyeDaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HyeDaa

well, it's just two issues so its difficult to judge it as a whole.

but from pretty much whats going on it's a me'h thing. I don't dig the artwork, and I don't like BALD MAGNETO. Professor charles is enough, i don't understand why magneto needs the change. It feels like Vin Diesel in comics.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dangallant984

@HyeDaa said:

well, it's just two issues so its difficult to judge it as a whole.

but from pretty much whats going on it's a me'h thing. I don't dig the artwork, and I don't like BALD MAGNETO. Professor charles is enough, i don't understand why magneto needs the change. It feels like Vin Diesel in comics.

yeah, this thread really does seem to be jumping the gun a bit.

as for Magneto, well, he's been wearing a helmet since the 60's, regardless of how you measure time. Maybe he's just started going bald anyway and has chosen to do so with some dignity. That explanation I'd accept :)

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@dangallant984: The mutant race was short of a leading baldy since AvX, so someone had to pick up the torch.

And bald Scott or Logan just don't seem right, so Magnus is the right choice for leading baldy.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dangallant984

@Avenger85 said:

@dangallant984: The mutant race was short of a leading baldy since AvX, so someone had to pick up the torch.

And bald Scott or Logan just don't seem right, so Magnus is the right choice for leading baldy.

Storm's mohawk doesn't count?

haha.. actually, I really liked it in X-factor when Madrox met the future Cyclops and he had that ridiculous comb-over. Actually, he sported a similar 'do in Earth X; maybe Cyclops is destined to be the new baldy, lord knows he's spent enough time under that cowl to not have very healthy hair..

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Avenger85 said:

But he looks like Mr. Clean.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By dangallant984

@god_spawn said:

But he looks like Mr. Clean.

I was thinking Lex Luthor, but yeah, whatever.

tiger26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By tiger26

imo I like it but there are people who will say its bad just to say cause they have a biased towards Bendis

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By slimlim

Magneto going bald is probably just a tribute to Xavier. They did restart the school in his name.

As for how Bendis is as a writer? He isn't my favorite at Marvel, but he's definitely better than many others, so i'm not complaining... yet. Dialogue seemed off in the first issue of Uncanny, esp for Emma, but issue two was better.

Early days still. But so far, i like it, but not in love with it.

HyeDaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By HyeDaa

@god_spawn: Haha! I agree. And it makes me uncomfortable.

RaceAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By RaceAddict

Maybe I'm being a little pedantic, but do the Avengers have a teleporter? If not, how did they get from North America to Oz as fast as Magik was able teleport the team?

It seems like they arrived, went to visit the new girls family, and then the Avengers jump out of a quinjet... seemingly after being tipped off just minutes earlier.
    dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By dangallant984

@RaceAddict said:

Maybe I'm being a little pedantic, but do the Avengers have a teleporter? If not, how did they get from North America to Oz as fast as Magik was able teleport the team?

It seems like they arrived, went to visit the new girls family, and then the Avengers jump out of a quinjet... seemingly after being tipped off just minutes earlier.

his name's Manifold, he's some relative of Gateway, and he does seem capable of opening portals large enough to fly a Quinjet through.

No Caption Provided
    UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By UltraBiel

@thatlad said:

It's two issues in, ridiculous to make any snap judgements now

So far I'm hating...=/

But I have faith it will change! :D

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By DurararaFTW

Better then Wolverine and the X-Men (Savage lands dude?), Better then Uncanny X-Force (cluster****, Bishops ain't your friends Storm, ect.) better then Cable's X-Force too if only because the opening act was rather disjointedly told.

RaceAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By RaceAddict

@dangallant984: Cheers. I had no idea.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By dangallant984

@RaceAddict: no worries, I didn't know much about him until recently myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.