Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is Astonishing X-Men a good starting point for the X-men ?

shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shotgunblast97

I want to start reading the x-men series but the problem is I don't have much knowdledge about the history of both Marvel and the X-men series. So I was wondering if the astonishing x-men 2004 series can be read without much background knowdledge.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
    MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MagnificentStorm

Um the X-men just like every major team in Marvel has a huge history currently Marvel kinda sorta did a reboot kinda sorta with Marvel Now an Age of Ultron

So honestly the main point you need to read should me regular X-men about Cyclops extinction team an how everything leads up to the X-mens split because thats what everythings based on now really so i say X-men volume 3

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@shotgunblast97: I'd say no. Astonishing is relying on much of the X-Men's history for it's story telling. All New and Uncanny tend to be somewhat straight forward and may be a good starting point if you're familiar with what happened in AvX.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I want to start reading the x-men series but the problem is I don't have much knowdledge about the history of both Marvel and the X-men series. So I was wondering if the astonishing x-men 2004 series can be read without much background knowdledge.

No, it's not even close to the best X book either. Go back to Marvel now, pick up a couple of All New, Uncanny or X-men all three titles are great jumping on points and fairly straight forward. Also Uncanny X force, and Cable & X force are fairly good jump on spots (go back 2-3 months and get the number 1s) they are not exactly "X men" team but they are close enough (hell i think Uncanny X force pretty much is an x men team lol)

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I say yes, ifyou start reading from 2004. Read the first 24 issues (or the first four trades) of the series, by Whedon and Cassaday. In some ways it is simply an homage to the classic era of X-men in the 80's, written in a more contemporary style; but it does a really good job of introducing the major characters and themes to new readers. You might not get all of the references and in-jokes the first time through, but you still get what is fundamentally great about the X-men wrapped in some of the most entertaining stories of their colorful history.

After issue 24 (and the subsequent finale in Giant Size Astonishing X-men #1), the series becomes less central to the X-men's overall story,and not all of it's for everyone, but I would highly recommend checking out the current arc (issues 62 and 63, so far) as it's really starting to get good again.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phisigmatau

read astonishing because its awesome basically yea

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@shotgunblast97: The beginning of Astonishing X-Men? Yes.... Currently from the latest issue? No.... currently the story is resolved around Iceman, his past relationships, and a transformation that was implemented in him during a crossover story. Even though the beginning of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men has no correlation between the current set-up of the series, the current direction is dealing with past events, happenings, and characters. But if you're confident enough to research a whole lot... then be my guest and begin anywhere you'd like!

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea def read it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.