in all-new x-men 7,what did cyclops keep in his safe deposit box?

#1 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

1) it shows a picture of maddie and scott, money and what seems to be a lock of jean grey's hair, i guess you cant blame wolverine for doing the same thing...lol

who is 2) who is mystique talking to??? any theories???

3)i guess bendis is trying to make jean and scott's relationship slowly back together......how did you like all-new x-men7?????

#2 Posted by judasnixon (6241 posts) - - Show Bio

What did Cyclops keep in his safety deposit box? Hmmm.... Lets see. A bootleg DVD of season two of Storage Wars, a beanie baby, a bottle of Jergens hand lotion, a signed copy of Rob Liefeld's BLOODSTRIKE #1, dirty pictures of Emma Frost, dirty pictures of Professor X, a kit-kat bar, and a bottle of Xenex.....     

Online
#3 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops may have been the leader of the X-Men, and under Charles leadership, he may have been altruistic, but he was still a mutant, and Charles understood that. At any moment the government could decide mutants are a threat and come for them. At that point, they'd need to scatter. Keeping all their funds, necessities, and keepsakes in a mansion where anyone who'd need to knows they're there would be foolish.

So it only makes sense they have various safety deposit boxes stored around the world, with various things they need, some money as necessary, and things they'd want to make sure would be kept safe. In this case, a wedding invitation, some photos, and a pair of glasses so Scott isn't caught without.

#4 Edited by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the art and MYSTIQUE!!!

#5 Edited by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Summers is The Batman of Marvel. The dude has a contingency plan for everything. He knew that someday the trauma of his life would be too great and he would snap and kill the idealistic baldy, so then that idiot Beast would surely use time travel to set things right, so he would put some stuff in his locker to make his younger self knock some sense into his older self.

I will now refer to Young Scott as the Cyclops Of Zur-En-Arrh.

#6 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

"Scott Summers is The Batman of Marvel"

This is so woefully incorrect it hurts to read.

#7 Edited by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: What really hurts to read is that you took the entire comment woefully serious.

#8 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense, Avenger... but you've posted it several times across a few forums. *chuckles* You've displayed what appears to be a genuine hate for Beast and a whole lot of lovin' for Cyke... so... *shrug* kinda easy to take it serious from you.

#9 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85: I rather enjoyed the comment, while I dont think he is like Bruce, it was tastefully entertaining. Kudos.

#10 Edited by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: Yeah a couple of times, But you gotto realize that when someone calls Cyclops the Batman of Marvel, then it is not to be taken too seriously, lol man just read the whole comment. They have a couple of similarities, but that's about it.

Yeah I dont like Beast. To each his own opinion.

#11 Posted by Veitha (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, the best thing about this is that Bendis seems to have forgotten that Scott has loved Emma Frost for ages. Why doesn't he have a photograph of her?? And why does he keep a lock of Jean's hair when he has completely overcome his old relationshi??. I just hope that one of those photos were Emma's, but I don't think so: Emma isn't the kind of person that likes being immortalized in photos with his boyfriend, and if Young Scott had found one of Emma's photos he would have left Jean to find the blond chick lol

#12 Edited by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha:

Not as much as he loved Jean, and no, he hasn't overcome that relationship. Look at what his thoughts were the moment he saw young Jean. He wouldnt even have gotten into a relationship with Emma had Jean not willed him to go ahead.

#13 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

"Scott Summers is The Batman of Marvel"This is so woefully incorrect it hurts to read.

how so?

#14 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

Lol, the best thing about this is that Bendis seems to have forgotten that Scott has loved Emma Frost for ages. Why doesn't he have a photograph of her?? And why does he keep a lock of Jean's hair when he has completely overcome his old relationshi??. I just hope that one of those photos were Emma's, but I don't think so: Emma isn't the kind of person that likes being immortalized in photos with his boyfriend, and if Young Scott had found one of Emma's photos he would have left Jean to find the blond chick lol

Scott's past relationship with Emma doesn't change the fact that Jean was a huge part of his life. He did put a ring on her after all. Jean's not simply an "ex".

#15 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

How so?

Er... well, where to begin... well, there's the Boyscout years which were devastatingly prominent until his slow fall.

The lack of really any sort of detective skills.

The lack of dark drive

The difference between tactician and true mastermind (which Bruce has, Scott doesn't).

To say that Scott plans for every contingency is more of a pipedream than reality, whereas Bruce has literally placed himself in death traps to learn how to escape and prep.

The theme of the characters.

The personalities of the characters

This really can go on forever. If you want a close approximation to Batman in terms of character and drive, look at Matt Murdock. He's your closest. And not even Murdock is crazy enough or without fear enough to do some of the things Bruce has.

Buuuuut, this is far enough off topic.

#16 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger "He wouldnt even have gotten into a relationship with Emma had Jean not willed him to go ahead."

Nah. He would have been content to have a psychic affair go on forever.

Yeah, it's true Jean gave him the green light in this when she died... but still.

#17 Posted by Veitha (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

@Veitha:

Not as much as he loved Jean, and no, he hasn't overcome that relationship. Look at what his thoughts were the moment he saw young Jean. He wouldnt even have gotten into a relationship with Emma had Jean not willed him to go ahead.

Nah. I could argue about that for hours lol.

Anyway, his last meeting with Jean Grey was written by Bendis, so it's the same example of bad writing.

Scott was into Emma before Jean's death and even before Jean willed him to go ahead.

@Madame_Mist said:

@Veitha said:

Lol, the best thing about this is that Bendis seems to have forgotten that Scott has loved Emma Frost for ages. Why doesn't he have a photograph of her?? And why does he keep a lock of Jean's hair when he has completely overcome his old relationshi??. I just hope that one of those photos were Emma's, but I don't think so: Emma isn't the kind of person that likes being immortalized in photos with his boyfriend, and if Young Scott had found one of Emma's photos he would have left Jean to find the blond chick lol

Scott's past relationship with Emma doesn't change the fact that Jean was a huge part of his life. He did put a ring on her after all. Jean's not simply an "ex".

Emma's not simply an "ex", too. They've grown together, they've changed each other, they've shared the Phoenix Force itself, they've gone through many things together but now Bendis seems to remember only about Jean, and he doesn't even consider how deep Scott relationship with Emma was.

#19 Posted by McKlayn (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

@Avenger85 said:

@Veitha:

Not as much as he loved Jean, and no, he hasn't overcome that relationship. Look at what his thoughts were the moment he saw young Jean. He wouldnt even have gotten into a relationship with Emma had Jean not willed him to go ahead.

Nah. I could argue about that for hours lol.

Anyway, his last meeting with Jean Grey was written by Bendis, so it's the same example of bad writing.

Scott was into Emma before Jean's death and even before Jean willed him to go ahead.

@Madame_Mist said:

@Veitha said:

Lol, the best thing about this is that Bendis seems to have forgotten that Scott has loved Emma Frost for ages. Why doesn't he have a photograph of her?? And why does he keep a lock of Jean's hair when he has completely overcome his old relationshi??. I just hope that one of those photos were Emma's, but I don't think so: Emma isn't the kind of person that likes being immortalized in photos with his boyfriend, and if Young Scott had found one of Emma's photos he would have left Jean to find the blond chick lol

Scott's past relationship with Emma doesn't change the fact that Jean was a huge part of his life. He did put a ring on her after all. Jean's not simply an "ex".

Emma's not simply an "ex", too. They've grown together, they've changed each other, they've shared the Phoenix Force itself, they've gone through many things together but now Bendis seems to remember only about Jean, and he doesn't even consider how deep Scott relationship with Emma was.

I havent read anything that said he doesnt love Emma? maybe im missing something, as far as the safety deposit box goes we dont know how Old this box is, i mean apparently original Cyclops knows its there so it had to be one of his originals as far as we know the Current Cyclops hasnt touched it in years, or decades even. Also safety deposit boxes are normally where you put things you want to keep because they still mean something to you but you dont have room for in your life anymore.

I truely believe he loves Emma now, but original Cyclops doesn't. I also believe that no matter how much in love he may be in emma seeing a young, teenage jean back from the past is going to cause the guy to be shell shocked a bit. He Changed, Jean Changed, but this is the jean he loved with all his heart.

Basically i think the writing (at least when it comes to scott's emotions giving the really out there scenario) has been pretty good, i dont think its impossible for a man to love two women esp at different points in his life, he never actually HATED jean or broke up with her. The feelings are still there she wasn't present, this allowed him to grow and him and emma to fall into true love and grow together into a real relationship and out of the whole lust affair thing they were doing, so yes he loves her but doesn't mean he doesnt love Jean.

Funny how Wolverine has a million true loves and no one has a problem with it lol, but scott has two women hes deeply cared for and love during his entire life and its always a whose he love more argument lol

#20 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

Emma's not simply an "ex", too. They've grown together, they've changed each other, they've shared the Phoenix Force itself, they've gone through many things together but now Bendis seems to remember only about Jean, and he doesn't even consider how deep Scott relationship with Emma was.

I'm not denying Emma was a huge part of his life. But Jean and Scott were together for years, and their love has quite literally saved the universe from the Phoenix Force. In AvX, Emma and Scott couldn't stop the Phoenix Force. Saying that Scott is "over" Jean and no longer retains a certain kind of love for her is like saying Scott doesn't have optic blasts as a Mutant power. Jean and Scott had changed during New X-Men. Jean was growing more independent from Scott and no longer being afraid of her powers and Scott had grown darker and could no longer recognize himself. Jean and Scott kind of accepted the fact although they loved each other, they no worked as a couple. They wanted each other but they no longer needed each other.

Plus, before AvX came, Emma herself said she felt unappreciated by Scott. It's kind of like the same thing that happened with Jean and Scott, coupled with the fact they have numerous unresolved issues, Emma's attraction to Namor (reflecting Wolverine and Jean) and the unforgettable fact that Scott himself nearly choked her to death kind of puts a damper on the relationship.

I'm not a fan of either of these relationships though. Scott I believe cannot sustain a healthy romantic relationship because of his dedication to being a leader. He's Cyclops first and foremost and Scott Summers second.

Bendis probably focuses more on Jean because the comic is about the O5, and not about the Emma and Scott relationship. He's said in interviews that he likes the Scott and Emma relationship but after AvX, they've done major harm to their relationship. Uncanny will most likely focus on that.

#21 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I'm assuming the original intention of this lockbox were for if things went bad at the school and the students needed their own means of survival (hence money and old-school ruby quartz shades).

It also appears to be a sort of keepsake treasury, where an older Scott put a lock of Jean's hair (possibly the same lock of hair that Wolverine once kept?) and the wedding invites, as well as old pictures of him with Jean and Maddie.

The reason there wouldn't be any pictures of Emma would be because he was still with her. This is both a contingency plan box and a memory box. Emma wasn't in the past like Jean, she was the present.

I honestly hadn't thought about if there was a picture of Emma or not, but that sounds about right.

#22 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

You just answered your own question by posting the 3rd image.

#23 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7268 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. So this is what the X-Men have come to. What a shame. What a damned shame.

#24 Posted by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: eh why ?

#25 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7268 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

@AgeofHurricane: eh why ?

It's written by Bendis and sales have been bumped due to the 4-5 star artists he's receiving to illustrate this rubbish. That's why.

#26 Posted by Avenger85 (1611 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Well I do like the young Cyclops parts. It makes you really sympathise with him.

#27 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7268 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85: I was a strong supporter of the anti-hero Cyclops movement up until Bendis got a hold of him. Now i'm alright.

#28 Posted by Veitha (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@McKlayn: That's not just Young Scott who doesn't love her. Bendis has written them like they weren't even a couple. For example, when Scott sees the O5 for the first time, he thinks that Emma was using her telepathy to create an illusion against him, thinking immediately that she had returned to her "villanous" days... Well, this seems poor writing to me coz they loved each other for years and now they've already started to hate and accuse each other?? This is what I meant, and it would have been interesting seeing the reaction of Young Jean and Young Scott to current Scott relationship with Em', but Bendis forgot this, too. I think that he's managing very well all of the characters, but he hasn't shown to be able to write Emma properly, at least not yet.

@Madame_Mist: I don't agree at all, longer doesn't mean better and the fact that Emma and Scott shared the Phoenix - even if they couldn't control it - should have made them even closer, and during New X-Men Jean and Scott didn't just change, they understood that many thing were wrong with their relationship, and Scott and Emma found the perfect confidant and then lover in each other. During Gillen's run Emma felt unapreciated and a bit forgotten by Scott, but their relationship was as stable as ever. Anyway I hope that Uncanny will explain more what's going on between Emma and Scott.

But I always go off topic lol.

I think that the man with Mystique is Sabretooth, coz they both appear on a future All New X-Men cover.

#29 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Lol. So this is what the X-Men have come to. What a shame. What a damned shame.

haha! have you actually read the new issue? I think it's probably the best one yet. hahaha!

It's written by Bendis and sales have been bumped due to the 4-5 star artists he's receiving to illustrate this rubbish. That's why.

that is a really good point, though; the art is just gorgeous.

@Veitha said:

@McKlayn: That's not just Young Scott who doesn't love her. Bendis has written them like they weren't even a couple. For example, when Scott sees the O5 for the first time, he thinks that Emma was using her telepathy to create an illusion against him, thinking immediately that she had returned to her "villanous" days... Well, this seems poor writing to me coz they loved each other for years and now they've already started to hate and accuse each other?? This is what I meant, and it would have been interesting seeing the reaction of Young Jean and Young Scott to current Scott relationship with Em', but Bendis forgot this, too. I think that he's managing very well all of the characters, but he hasn't shown to be able to write Emma properly, at least not yet.

but, yeah, this is also a really good point.

#30 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7268 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Lol i'm not going to because that goes against everything that i've been saying about this title, though i will most definitely chip in for the title's final issue.

#31 Posted by God_Spawn (37387 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I'm assuming the original intention of this lockbox were for if things went bad at the school and the students needed their own means of survival (hence money and old-school ruby quartz shades).

It also appears to be a sort of keepsake treasury, where an older Scott put a lock of Jean's hair (possibly the same lock of hair that Wolverine once kept?) and the wedding invites, as well as old pictures of him with Jean and Maddie.

The reason there wouldn't be any pictures of Emma would be because he was still with her. This is both a contingency plan box and a memory box. Emma wasn't in the past like Jean, she was the present.

Agreeing with this.

Moderator
#32 Posted by judasnixon (6241 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the guy in the van is suppose to be Hoffman.....

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.