If you were in charge of the JGSHL

• 58 results
#1 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, we’ve all gone on in some way, shape, or form about dislike for the WatXM book dealing with the Jean Grey school. The consensus seems to be that the book would be much, much better off actually being about the school and keep Logan to a minimum.

Here’s the challenge, then—if YOU could scrap the current book and replace it with a new book based on the school/students, what would you do? What would you want to see?

For me, I’d like to see Storm or Kitty as Headmistress, keep Logan and others on as Staff, but pull back their involvement a little.

I’d take one main group of students to be the central team, but round robin stories on some of the other students and their own storylines.

#2 Posted by Avenger85 (1595 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd keep it simple. Storm as Headmistress and if Banshee is still alive & kicking then I'd get him to be the headmaster, as he has good experience at this.

The rest I'd just keep as staff. The students like you said, get the main focus & round robin stories on them.

#3 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill off the ugly/useless students. Survival of the fittest. Bye bye Broo, Glob and Eyeboy.

#4 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

I would put more emphasis on the students and less on the teachers and staff. Also expand the group of students that get attention.

#5 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd tell whoever wants to revamp this thing to take some notes from New Mutants vol.2 and Academy X: New X-Men. That's how you write a story about teenagers coming to terms with their Mutant powers/own personal ideologies while intertwining their own stories with the faculty's. Everything was perfect.

#6 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

I'd tell whoever wants to revamp this thing to take some notes from New Mutants vol.2 and Academy X: New X-Men. That's how you write a story about teenagers coming to terms with their Mutant powers/own personal ideologies while intertwining their own stories with the faculty's. Everything was perfect.

#7 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, in that case perfection leads to being cancelled. *small chuckle--feels the same way about NXM-shrug*

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

DJ needs a twelve issue maxi-series. I agree.

#9 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: One of the coolest characters i've seen and he didn't even say much. So much potential, wish he was created by Claremont, though, then he could have learned so much from Dazzler, even if she was rendered redundant by his presence.

#10 Posted by judasnixon (6088 posts) - - Show Bio

I would pay a Purifier with a rocket launcher five dollars to blow up that dumb ass school. Hopefully with the Five Lights, Shark Girl, Eyeball Boy, and a few other students still inside....

#11 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I would break the character limit on this one, lets just say I would change a lot

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Kill off the ugly/useless students. Survival of the fittest. Bye bye Broo, Glob and Eyeboy.

Wow... it's my thread all over again!!

#13 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph:

Maybe a continuation of this series: New X-Men

With a continuation of this team: New X-Men

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Curse of being attractive, sorry. I'm pretty much just Hellion (with the hands).

#15 Posted by Spawn92 (284 posts) - - Show Bio

I would scale back the older mutants and focus on the students growing and maturing together. They would get into all kinds of hi jinx! like sneaking out at night to fight crime. You could have a lot of genuinely good moments with the students if the current writers weren't so fixated on Wolverine all the time. Also, they need a Fast Times issue where Quentin is Spicoli.

#16 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Curse of being attractive, sorry. I'm pretty much just Hellion (with the hands).

Attractive Hellion with hands, huh?... So that must mean that you are also self-absorbed, narcissistic, haughty, opinionated, prideful, egotistical, swollen, pompous, self-centered, conceited, selfish, brash, hot-headed, arrogant, among other words!

#17 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

1) The biggest thing that needs to change is that I would make sure that this series would focus heavily on the students. They were interesting characters and if Schism was supposedly about them, then they should have been the prime focus of all the storylines from here on out.

2) Let Storm or Kitty be headmistress and maybe make Beast headmaster instead of Wolverine since it makes more sense. Then bring Colossus, Jubilee, Dazzler, Rogue, Havok and Warpath back to the school and let them be the teachers.

3) Show more stories with the students having relationships with the older X-Men characters. What I loved about the earlier X-Men stories was that they introduced new characters and allowed them to develop their relationships with the older characters.

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Attractive Hellion with hands, huh?... So that must mean that you are also self-absorbed, narcissistic, haughty, opinionated, prideful, egotistical, swollen, pompous, self-centered, conceited, selfish, brash, hot-headed, arrogant, among other words!

Pretty much.

#19 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be me as well. Save the former portion. Okay, maybe not. But I freaking love this character.
#20 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Consensus so far definitely points to Students stepping forth and X-Men proper taking a large step back to support roles.

IMO, this is awesome. I think the WatXM book is obviously plagued by the Students simply being 'there.' And, when they are more prominent, it's hindered by terrible stories like the Frankenstien Clowns and a preteen Hellfire club.

I do also like the 'Wolverine needs to step the eff off' on him being the titular lead. I think this was a mistake given his current roles in comics and his storylines. As I said with another CV user: If they put logan in the 'retiring sensei guiding the younger generation' role as opposed to 'mutant killing machine,' different story. This, imho, is Marvel obviously milking the Wolverine 'brand recognition' to try to sell a mediocre book.

#21 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

Consensus so far definitely points to Students stepping forth and X-Men proper taking a large step back to support roles. IMO, this is awesome. I think the WatXM book is obviously plagued by the Students simply being 'there.' And, when they are more prominent, it's hindered by terrible stories like the Frankenstien Clowns and a preteen Hellfire club. I do also like the 'Wolverine needs to step the eff off' on him being the titular lead. I think this was a mistake given his current roles in comics and his storylines. As I said with another CV user: If they put logan in the 'retiring sensei guiding the younger generation' role as opposed to 'mutant killing machine,' different story. This, imho, is Marvel obviously milking the Wolverine 'brand recognition' to try to sell a mediocre book.

I have to say, I agree with most of what people have been saying on here. While I do like the idea of Wolverine being the headmaster (along with Storm and/or Kitty), I don't think he should be the main character; I mean, how much was Xavier a main character to the new mutants? and there's more staff now, so it should be even less than that. I do like him being in charge of the troublemakers class (though I would replace some of the new students in that class), but, even as headmaster, he definitely shouldn't be one of the main characters.

I think it would be better if there was more than the trouble makers class, too, like New Mutants v2, or new X-men, I guess, where there are different classes with different instructors. Maybe like the squad system, but with fewer and more distinctly different groups with distinct purposes. maybe something like this:

Wolverine's Class- Quentin, Glob, Oya, Transonic, Genesis, Hellion, and Surge. these would be the ones that Wolverine would really want to keep an eye on.

Northstar and Karma's Class- Armor, Blindfold, Anole, Rockslide, Bling, Dust and Pixie. these would be the students who are actually in training as junior X-men, and would actually augment the main X-men (Storm's team) on some missions.

Chamber's class- Cipher, Gentle, Primal, Zero, Ernst, No-girl,the Cuckoos, non combat class, largely background characters who don't want to be X-men or have to be in Wolverine's class.

Instructors- Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Rachel, Chamber, Karma, Northstar, Iceman and sometimes Beast. that seems like plenty, and, again, these characters would be largely background characters, used sparingly and only in relation to the story as it pertains to the students.

I think that if a book had a few groups it could switch focus on, depending on the story, as well as function as background characters for each others stories, many great underused characters might get a lot more cool story treatment.

#22 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

The Squad/Class system would be interesting, I have to admit. I liked the squad system previous because it gave different team dynamics.

I agree with the 'we need to watch these kids' class, but I think that, psychologically, could be self-defeating. If you isolate the kids who are potential problems, then they just feed off of one another. I think that a Dean System in this case would be best--have the kids dispersed in different classes so that, hopefully, normal interaction and social dynamic rubs off on them by being around 'normal' students. Then, if they have trouble, they report to Logan for disciplinary action, etc.

That, and I'm incredibly biased on getting Julian, Nori, Santo, Cess, and Sooraya back on a team/squad together.

I think between Cess's sister-brother relationship with Julian and Santo's friendship could help re-evolve Julian's character, and I think it would be interesting to teasingly explore a Julian/Nori pairing--all that angst has to be explored somehow. Even if it ends in a breakup after a short time. Not all relationships work out, and I think it would be interesting given their existing dynamic already.

Then, Sooraya rounds out at the moral compass of the group again.

#23 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: yeah, I agree that the pre-established relationships of these characters should definitely be maintained. I envision all of these characters interacting socially, as well as taking classes together and so forth, but my model was just to show how the squad's could break down based on some premise. It's true that Hellion and Surge obviously fit with the other new X-men characters really well, but I thought, as two of the more troubled students, as well as having previous leadership experience, their characters might be further evolved by having them on the "to watch" squad. Sort of why I advanced Armor and Bling to the junior squad, too; it would be nice to see some development with them in new roles.

#24 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

If this were to ever happen, i'd also hope that the first term would deal with kids actually moving on from the Schism et al, and losing the New/Young from the "New X-Men" and becoming actual X-Men. It's high time this was actually clarified because they're not new or young. They're the next generation and the oldies need to take a break.

Quite contradictory to my former post, but still.

#25 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Pretty much.

Good to know...

#26 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio
"If this were to ever happen, i'd also hope that the first term would deal with kids actually moving on from the Schism et al, and losing the New/Young from the "New X-Men" and becoming actual X-Men. It's high time this was actually clarified because they're not new or young. They're the next generation and the oldies need to take a break."

I agree with this 100%.
#27 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

If this were to ever happen, i'd also hope that the first term would deal with kids actually moving on from the Schism et al, and losing the New/Young from the "New X-Men" and becoming actual X-Men. It's high time this was actually clarified because they're not new or young. They're the next generation and the oldies need to take a break.

Quite contradictory to my former post, but still.

I agree with this in theory, but it would be a shame for characters like Storm, Psylocke, Rachel, or Kitty to retire completely; Storm would be the oldest, and she's still in her early 30's. If Cyclops and Magneto haven't retired, I can't see any reason why these guys would. That's why I suggested a class from the school that also be X-men;

Northstar and Karma's Class- Armor, Blindfold, Anole, Rockslide, Bling, Dust and Pixie. these would be the students who are actually in training as junior X-men, and would actually augment the main X-men (Storm's team) on some missions.

..I just think the school itself has the potential to be about more than just the X-men.

#28 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read it so much as retiring, in my opinion, but at least, in this book, being relegated to a mere background role and letting the new team start to pick up steam.

Let's be honest, as long as the current X-Men are still selling books they will be around.

#29 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

I don't read it so much as retiring, in my opinion, but at least, in this book, being relegated to a mere background role and letting the new team start to pick up steam. Let's be honest, as long as the current X-Men are still selling books they will be around.

Quite right. Writers have tried to push individual X-Teens to that level in the past, but it looks like Editorial is strictly against it for some reason. Ellis did it for Armor during his Astonishing tenure and we got some good stories about it (even alternate ones), even if they didn't necessarily reflect on what was going on with the character personally, and an array of writers have done it for Pixie (currently happening for Blindfold in Legacy, which i'm loving, because we got an issue dedicated to her, which is what we should be getting on a wider scale), and she's the only one who ever proudly sports the status -

Shut up

But her push was to the detriment of her fellow New X-Students.

@dangallant984: I mean they've still got their own titles like UXF, CAXF, XM, et al, but it should be acknowledged that these "kids" are coming into their own right, it's not fair that the Avenger kids get screen-time to prove their worth (Young Avengers + Avengers Arena), but the X-Kids, don't. WATX clearly isn't cutting it if that's the facade Marvel's trying to pull, and i fear they're going to pull this for a long time.

#30 Posted by Xwraith (14508 posts) - - Show Bio

Go back in time and stop Wanda from altering reality so none of this BS happens.

#31 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh... none of what BS, Xwraith? Care to be a bit more specific?

#32 Posted by DurararaFTW (73 posts) - - Show Bio

If I could launch any X-teenbook I'd pick a small 10 members tops team and strand them in a other dimension or planet for a while. If I had to make it about the school, I'd take a page out of Nunzio's book and start with the training teams again, makes sense to do that now that the studentbody is more then just the ~30 teenage M-day survivor. Most prominent instructors would be Chamber, Rachel and Proudstar.

#33 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Quite right. Writers have tried to push individual X-Teens to that level in the past, but it looks like Editorial is strictly against it for some reason. Ellis did it for Armor during his Astonishing tenure and we got some good stories about it (even alternate ones), even if they didn't necessarily reflect on what was going on with the character personally, and an array of writers have done it for Pixie (currently happening for Blindfold in Legacy, which i'm loving, because we got an issue dedicated to her, which is what we should be getting on a wider scale), and she's the only one who ever proudly sports the status -

Shut up

I don't see the connection.

@dangallant984: I mean they've still got their own titles like UXF, CAXF, XM, et al, but it should be acknowledged that these "kids" are coming into their own right, it's not fair that the Avenger kids get screen-time to prove their worth (Young Avengers + Avengers Arena), but the X-Kids, don't. WATX clearly isn't cutting it if that's the facade Marvel's trying to pull, and i fear they're going to pull this for a long time.

I guess in my mind those aren't really Avengers; it's basically just using the term Avenger as shorthand for marvel superhero, and those books don't interest me at all because of it (though I do love me some Hawkeye & Hawkeye).

The X-men, on the other hand, have a long tradition of being or having teenage characters and I think it's really only that they have so many recognizable adult characters that has really held this back. It was one of the worst things about the 90's X-men, that they weren't really a school any more; for me, that's basically ignoring half of the premise that makes them great in the first place. They're supposed to be the world's strangest teens.

#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Rename it.

It's like naming a school "The Walt Whitman University of Higher Learning"

#35 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Shut up

I guess in my mind those aren't really Avengers; it's basically just using the term Avenger as shorthand for marvel superhero, and those books don't interest me at all because of it (though I do love me some Hawkeye & Hawkeye).

The X-men, on the other hand, have a long tradition of being or having teenage characters and I think it's really only that they have so many recognizable adult characters that has really held this back. It was one of the worst things about the 90's X-men, that they weren't really a school any more; for me, that's basically ignoring half of the premise that makes them great in the first place. They're supposed to be the world's strangest teens.

I didn't like the idea that they were ignoring the school aspect of the series either. I really enjoyed the earlier issues of the X-Men functioning in a school and I especially loved the school setting in Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men and Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men since it brought something new to the table.

#36 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I didn't like the idea that they were ignoring the school aspect of the series either. I really enjoyed the earlier issues of the X-Men functioning in a school and I especially loved the school setting in Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men and Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men since it brought something new to the table.

Yeah, exactly. I would even go so far as to say that all of the best eras of X-men incorporated that theme to some degree; even Claremont had Kitty and Rachel and the New Mutants, when he took those characters away, the X-men got pretty crappy pretty fast.

#37 Posted by Xwraith (14508 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: If House of M hadn't happened, there would be no Decimation, no Schism, and no AVX (among other crappy stories).

#38 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

@DarkxSeraph: If House of M hadn't happened, there would be no Decimation, no Schism, and no AVX (among other crappy stories).

Exactly!

#39 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Xwraith said:

Exactly!

well, maybe. but, as much as I could have done without Schism and AvsX, I think House of M and Decimation were themselves good stories, and I think a lot of cool stories came out of those premises as well.

#40 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Shut up

Connection between what ?

#41 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: the connection between Pixie getting to be on the X-men and other characters not getting to be.

#42 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane: the connection between Pixie getting to be on the X-men and other characters not getting to be.

That's not so much a conspirate connection as much as it is just plain obvious. Not a lot of people from Megan's generation consistently receive the time of day like she does.

#43 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@dangallant984 said:

That's not so much a conspirate connection as much it as it just plain obvious. Not a lot of people from Megan's generation consistently receive the time of day like she does.

Pixie getting to be on the X-men has nothing to do with other characters not being on the X-men.

#44 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@dangallant984 said:

That's not so much a conspirate connection as much it as it just plain obvious. Not a lot of people from Megan's generation consistently receive the time of day like she does.

Pixie getting to be on the X-men has nothing to do with other characters not being on the X-men.

Right. So then there's a valid reason as to why, out of all the others, she's the only one who's been chosen to represent ? I get the idea that most of the writers/editors feel the need to not add the other characters because she constitutes the young X-Teen quota. She renders the rest of them inert just by being there.

#45 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@dangallant984 said:

Right. So then there's a valid reason as to why, out of all the others, she's the only one who's been chosen to represent ? I get the idea that most of the writers/editors feel the need to not add the other characters because she constitutes the young X-Teen quota. She renders the rest of them inert just by being there.

She's been the only one written lately to show the initiative to want to join. I don't see how other characters not being written that way is her fault.

#46 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@dangallant984 said:

She's been the only one written lately to show the initiative to want to join. I don't see how other characters not being written that way is her fault.

It's not directly her fault, but spreading her across the field has allowed other writers to fall under the normative influence, and she's given them a schema to abide by.

#47 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

It's not directly her fault, but spreading her across the field has allowed other writers to fall under the normative influence, and she's given them a schema to abide by.

Sure. Maybe; I just don't think there's any reason to blame a particular character for the misuse of other characters. It defies logic and achieves nothing.

#48 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Many, if not all, comic book related arguments defy logic and achieve nothing. It's just a bit of banter, intellectual or not. In this context, it's an age old debate, more prevalent in this decade. The outcome of pushing a female character in comics is oft misconstrued, gaining certain results and the outcome may bring about certain arguments.

This isn't any different, it could be argued that Polaris' incompetency during the 80s/90s was because of Claremont's love for Storm and her dominance (i.e push) during that period, it's been argued that Emma's push from 01 caused several other X-Women to falter, and it's also been argued that Rogue's push in X-Men Legacy caused that series to fail miserably also increasing the negligence of other characters in that series, from a reader's perspective, i think those are all quite fair and valid arguments to make, regardless of if it "defies logic and achieves nothing".

#49 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@dangallant984: Many, if not all, comic book related arguments defy logic and achieve nothing. It's just a bit of banter, intellectual or not. In this context, it's an age old debate, more prevalent in this decade. The outcome of pushing a female character in comics is oft misconstrued, gaining certain results and the outcome may bring about certain arguments.

This isn't any different, it could be argued that Polaris' incompetency during the 80s/90s was because of Claremont's love for Storm and her dominance (i.e push) during that period, it's been argued that Emma's push from 01 caused several other X-Women to falter, and it's also been argued that Rogue's push in X-Men Legacy caused that series to fail miserably also increasing the negligence of other characters in that series, from a reader's perspective, i think those are all quite fair and valid arguments to make, regardless of if it "defies logic and achieves nothing".

fair enough. I do totally see your point there, I just think it's pointless to blame the character.

#50 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixie was a horrible choice regardless. I absolutely do not like that character. She's everything in a teen character I do not like.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.