Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

If you could re-do an x-character who would it be?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I dont know about anyone else but sometimes the powers or abilities of some of these mutants is a bit ridiculous and even redundant at times. I happen to be a fan of more simple easily explained powers not all this convoluted stuff. I know I cant be the only one who is at times confused or irritated by this. So who would you change or re-do/redefine?

For me one character is Dani Moonstar. I think her personality and her look is awesome but her powers have always been a bit ridiculous to me. Having psi-arrows much like Psylockes knife would be cool and all. Also I think she can communicate with animals and pull dreams/nightmares out of peoples minds. To me this is a bit crazy. I would say just make her a telepath like Emma Frost or even telekinetic like Jean Grey. As far communicating with animals and all. To me you could play on her being an Indian and being in touch with nature as her having the ability to fly/glide on the winds and maybe manipulate fire and water. This would make her very powerful instead of having a whole lot of low level stuff. I would do away with all that Valkryie riding on horses and all, to me thats not mutant, thats Thor and Loki Asgard Avengers stuff. But maybe thats just me.

Anyway what character if any would you re-do/change ?

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Polarity

I prefer Brit Betsy over Ninja Betsy, so there's that, but generally I'd prefer if we could get rid of 90% of the characterization that we've had in the past decade plus. Everyone is so OOC to me.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angel - I didn't find anything wrong with his billionaire playboy backstory or his powers (which become redundant when everyone and their grandmom can fly) but the whole Archangel angsty arc never felt relevant to me and this new, memory-less version is even worse.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@polarity said:

I prefer Brit Betsy over Ninja Betsy, so there's that, but generally I'd prefer if we could get rid of 90% of the characterization that we've had in the past decade plus. Everyone is so OOC to me.

I definitely agree with getting rid of the characterization of most of the characters too. They seem too depressing to me at the moment, even though they just went through a near genocide of their race.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hawk2916: I can see how Dani's power could be confusing to those not familiar with her story but when she had her powers i always saw her as mutant with shamanic abilities, so all those powers made sense. Just like Magik has powers tied to her being a mutant and a magician, Mirage had powers that merged together so you kind of get lost in where one ends and the other begins. The Demon Bear was her nemesis because of the mystical power she had and it devoured her parents so perhaps she summoned him from one of her nightmare. That mystery has to be be solved but that is my theory.

Now if she were to get a power reboot/upgrade, I hope they make her more an empath than a telepath. She would be able to feel the emotions of people and animals, project her own emotions, and manifest dreaming. Her minor telepathic power would be to lull people into a trance and have them live out their dreams or nightmares. No more illusions or psychic weapons.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angel should have died during the Mutant Massacre. And then revived as the Angel of Death and never have been an X-men again.

Karma seems to be treated like a joke in the psychic community and for all the years she has had them no writer ever develops them or has her master them. If i could redo her powers she would be a "bloodbender" like in Avatar. She could manipulate the flow of blood in people and animals and control them as puppets. It would be more of telekinetic power than the telepathic power she has now.

I don't like Chamber powers at all. I preferred it when he got repowered by Apocalypse and was renamed Decibel. Maybe he could have had super sonic voice that he had to muffle or else it would cause great damage. Like Blackbolt.

Then we have the Five Light, who all save for maybe Oya, had some of the most convoluted and confusing powers. They were a failed experiment and wasted our time.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@hawk2916: I can see how Dani's power could be confusing to those not familiar with her story but when she had her powers i always saw her as mutant with shamanic abilities, so all those powers made sense. Just like Magik has powers tied to her being a mutant and a magician, Mirage had powers that merged together so you kind of get lost in where one ends and the other begins. The Demon Bear was her nemesis because of the mystical power she had and it devoured her parents so perhaps she summoned him from one of her nightmare. That mystery has to be be solved but that is my theory.

I've noticed that there are some X-men characters who basically use the idea that they are mutants as a fictional explanation of characters from folk tales or mythology. The Scarlet Witch is a gypsy, and a witch, and creates bad luck, because she's a mutant. Witches and shape-changers and immortals exist in the stories of every culture, so, in some ways, X-men just uses mutation as the explanation of that.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Cyclops. I'd actually write him in character, which would be a huge change for Marvel.

Then again, I'd write all of the X-Men in character, so I'd be sacked after one issue.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Archangel should have died after Uncanny X-force's end or just after the Dark Angel Saga.It would have been better than him being that braiwashed retarded idiot he is currently.And it is even worse because Aaron is writing him and he is becoming even sillier.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Hope Summers, shes the messiah she should of been cooler :D

or Eye boy, id redo him by turning an eraser to him and getting rid of him lol

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silver_raven said:

I've noticed that there are some X-men characters who basically use the idea that they are mutants as a fictional explanation of characters from folk tales or mythology. The Scarlet Witch is a gypsy, and a witch, and creates bad luck, because she's a mutant. Witches and shape-changers and immortals exist in the stories of every culture, so, in some ways, X-men just uses mutation as the explanation of that.

I always saw it as them using cultural backgrounds as gimmicks when Marvel was going through the character creation process.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

I always saw it as them using cultural backgrounds as gimmicks when Marvel was going through the character creation process.

yeah, I think it's often a little of both, depending on how you look at it.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Definitely agreeing with you both, but as much as it was unimaginative at least we got characters from other cultures. I hope we will soon be seeing more new mutants from all new and all different cultures/countries without being too derivative.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Silver_Raven

Can we just redo the Summer-Grey family tree. If i could redo or even reboot that whole mess I would have preferred if only Rachel existed rather than having Cable. who is not technically Jean's child and X-man, who is a boy version of Rachel and a younger version of Nathaniel anyway. And what is Hope supposed to be because i am still confused as to why she was so special and was destined to be the host of the Phoenix.

Rachel is the best and only option in my opinion. I wonder why she got so over looked and under used?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

Definitely agreeing with you both, but as much as it was unimaginative at least we got characters from other cultures. I hope we will soon be seeing more new mutants from all new and all different cultures/countries without being too derivative.

oh, I wouldn't say it's unimaginative. Without being inspired by mythology, we wouldn't have had characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, the Angel, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wolverine, Moonstar, Magik, Pixie.. all of whom are great characters, or ideas like telepathy, telekineses, pyrokineses, invisability, shape-shifting, or a lot of other cool powers that have served lots of characters.

Rachel is the best and only option in my opinion. I wonder why she got so over looked and under used?

ironically, I think it was in favor of Jean, whom she had been meant to replace.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Well i don't have that much of a problem with it since i like multicultural characters but as a writer i think a lot of the powers behind certain characters are not very original.

A Romany mutant with the power to hex and going by the Scarlet Witch. An Irish mutant with the powers of a real life banshee. A Japanese mutant with the powers of the sun's fire. A Chinese mutant named Jubilation Lee who could shoot fireworks. An Afghan mutant with the power to turn into a dust storm. Another Japanese mutant who was a "wiz kid" with technology. And a Russian mutant that can turn into a bear.

Sometimes certain characters are almost too cliche for their own good.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For starters?

Lets get Scott back to his true self, not what he is currently.

Same goes for Logan. He's just a tool now.

The Summers-Grey Line needs attention....save for Cable, he's fine as is.

Rachel needs to be a bigger presence in the X-Men. Especially with Hope and Teen Jean around.

Hope needs an overhaul thanks to AvX

Nate needs to get re-powered and remolded into a character that does him justice. Make him more of hero like Spidey. Nightwing him up.

And Wanda is self explanatory.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Veitha

@hawk2916:

Now if she were to get a power reboot/upgrade, I hope they make her more an empath than a telepath. She would be able to feel the emotions of people and animals, project her own emotions, and manifest dreaming. Her minor telepathic power would be to lull people into a trance and have them live out their dreams or nightmares. No more illusions or psychic weapons.

This

@tdk_1997 said:

Archangel should have died after Uncanny X-force's end or just after the Dark Angel Saga.It would have been better than him being that braiwashed retarded idiot he is currently.And it is even worse because Aaron is writing him and he is becoming even sillier.

And this

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Well i don't have that much of a problem with it since i like multicultural characters but as a writer i think a lot of the powers behind certain characters are not very original.

A Romany mutant with the power to hex and going by the Scarlet Witch. An Irish mutant with the powers of a real life banshee. A Japanese mutant with the powers of the sun's fire. A Chinese mutant named Jubilation Lee who could shoot fireworks. An Afghan mutant with the power to turn into a dust storm. Another Japanese mutant who was a "wiz kid" with technology. And a Russian mutant that can turn into a bear.

those are some really good examples of what I meant when I said I thought it was a bit of both. While those characters are good examples of characters being designed around powers that can be identified as cliches when paired with their cultural backgrounds, at least some of them (Scarlet Witch, Banshee, and Ursa Major) also have the mutation-explaining-folklore thing going for them, too.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silver_raven said:

those are some really good examples of what I meant when I said I thought it was a bit of both. While those characters are good examples of characters being designed around powers that can be identified as cliches when paired with their cultural backgrounds, at least some of them (Scarlet Witch, Banshee, and Ursa Major) also have the mutation-explaining-folklore thing going for them, too.

We are operating on a willful suspension of disbelief here, so I don't want to read too deeply into it, but still - if that mutation-explaining-folklore thing were to hold water, more mutants born in that area should have similar powers. It just seems that certain characters powers fit into racial stereotypes too neatly, and it's best to just accept it and move on since a single mutant with a power that so happened to fit the stereotype couldn't explain that theory. Perhaps certain family genotypes have predispositions towards certain powersets, though: Northstar and Aurorora have powers that are both complimentary and similar but unique, while Banshee and Siryn had similar powers though hers was more developed (perhaps evolution was fine tuning the powers Sean was born with and his daughter gained a more advanced set) and Monet and her siblings had some similarity with their powers, as well. We even see this with Scott and his brothers and Emma and her sisters.

But, yeah, best not to dwell on the possibly racist origins of certain character designs.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kwannon (Revanche) would have been a real person and not just a body for the writers to give to Psylocke to make her edgier. I would have had her join the X-men along and develop her power as an empathic healer and psychic ninja.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Kwannon (Revanche) would have been a real person and not just a body for the writers to give to Psylocke to make her edgier. I would have had her join the X-men along and develop her power as an empathic healer and psychic ninja.

that definitely would've been more interesting. It's unfortunate that during the era in which she was introduced (say, '90-94), they seemed uninterested in developing new characters. There were no new mutants being trained, the "school" was really just a big house, and the X-men themselves seemed almost retired because of it.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The first thing that comes to mind is Hope Summers. She's basically a cross between Cable & Rogue with random plot-based powers whenever convenient. She should have either just been a mini-Cable or should have had a unique powerset.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#24  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

wolverine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.