If they weren't called "X-Men" what wud u prefer them 2 b called?

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15809 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say you were Stan Lee and instead of saying to call them the X-Men, you would prefer something else but with the X-.

what would you prefer them to be called?

I'll start.

I think I'd go for X-People.

#2 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

"The Mutants" - that was actually the title that they were going to originally be called, but T.P.T.B. thought it sounded too weird and threatening. Ironically, that type of team name would work really well in the current style of team names.

#3 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: Right, that's why we got the New Mutants, when they first went back to the original concept in the 80's. but the X-men does just have so much more mystique to it..

@jhazzroucher: I'd go for X-people, if it were to do all over, but I think it would be silly to change now. I know some people read X-men as "men of X", which is gender qualifying, sure, but I always took the term X-man to differentiate from hu-man (taking into consideration that the X-mans just sounds silly), so I don't have that problem with the name.

But, yeah, the X-people sounds equally intimidating and mysterious, in some ways more so, so I guess I wouldn't mind it.

as long as it's not "the Individuals of Equal Worth United Under the X" (which, arguably, it should be, but doesn't really role off the tongue), I can live with it.

#4 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

how bout X-Files. to make it more mysterious.

#5 Edited by Teerack (6372 posts) - - Show Bio

The Protectors - cause of what they do

The Evolved - cause of what they are

The Brotherhood of Good Mutants - lol

Keeping the X- I'd go with

X-Heroes

X-Humans

#6 Posted by Med (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Children of the Atom

#7 Posted by Sissel (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

@Med said:

Children of the Atom

This really sounds badass when I first hear it. It still doesn't change now.

Next Men or Next People sounds funny. Since they are the supposedly evolution of humans.

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Doom Patrol. Nyahahahaha! Wait! WildCATS sounds better!

#9 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Church of Xavier. Cuz lets face it, they are a cult.

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

CYCLOPS AND OTHERS

#11 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@PhoenixoftheTides: Right, that's why we got the New Mutants, when they first went back to the original concept in the 80's. but the X-men does just have so much more mystique to it..

@jhazzroucher: I'd go for X-people, if it were to do all over, but I think it would be silly to change now. I know some people read X-men as "men of X", which is gender qualifying, sure, but I always took the term X-man to differentiate from hu-man (taking into consideration that the X-mans just sounds silly), so I don't have that problem with the name.

But, yeah, the X-people sounds equally intimidating and mysterious, in some ways more so, so I guess I wouldn't mind it.

as long as it's not "the Individuals of Equal Worth United Under the X" (which, arguably, it should be, but doesn't really role off the tongue), I can live with it.

My main problem with the "X-Men" is that it seems to encapsulate the image that Charles Xavier wanted to fight. "X" sounds very similar to "Ex", making their team name sound like they were no longer human and have evolved past human standards. It's a pretty flawed name when you are trying to prove that humans and mutants can live side-by-side. It sounds more like a team of monsters than superhuman mutants. Maybe something like "The Exceptionals" or something could keep the "X" sound without it sounding so negative.

@Med said:

Children of the Atom

I really like the sound of this. It really personalizes that these are someone's child (hence, they are still human) and that their powers are tied into a larger influence. The only problem is that this is already the title of a book that was published in 1953, so it might not be available.

#12 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

I always though New Mutants was always a cooler name than X-men.....

#13 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think the X-Men moniker should have retired the moment they stopped following the path of social integration. Maybe X-Militia would be more appropriate.

#14 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@Med said:

Children of the Atom

Just reminded me of the game Fallout 3.

#15 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

I would honestly like X-Force. As the whole team name. Maybe x force can be X-ops

#16 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

My main problem with the "X-Men" is that it seems to encapsulate the image that Charles Xavier wanted to fight. "X" sounds very similar to "Ex", making their team name sound like they were no longer human and have evolved past human standards. It's a pretty flawed name when you are trying to prove that humans and mutants can live side-by-side. It sounds more like a team of monsters than superhuman mutants. Maybe something like "The Exceptionals" or something could keep the "X" sound without it sounding so negative.

This is a good point, but it actually makes me think of some thing that I like about the name, which is that it isn't overtly negative or positive. To me, something like the Exceptionals sounds like they're saying that they're somehow better than other people, instead of just different.

X-men, to me, is neutral enough that whatever meaning you ascribe to it is based on your own prejudices, therefore bringing those judgements to the forefront of the concept, which is pretty elegant in it's simplicity.

#17 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

The Z-Men.

#18 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

Church of Xavier. Cuz lets face it, they are a cult.

I think if you look at the original comics from the 60's, they do come off as such, but I think that with the introduction of adult loners in the 70's and 80's, there were enough members thinking critically about the concept that it didn't go that way, really.

#19 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Exiles because they live on the outside of society perhaps?

#20 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

Exiles because they live on the outside of society perhaps?

I entertained that one too, but it doesn't really speak to the dream of integration very well, does it?

#21 Posted by ThanoStomp (789 posts) - - Show Bio

Stinkin Mutties!!!!

#22 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

This is a good point, but it actually makes me think of some thing that I like about the name, which is that it isn't overtly negative or positive. To me, something like the Exceptionals sounds like they're saying that they're somehow better than other people, instead of just different.

X-men, to me, is neutral enough that whatever meaning you ascribe to it is based on your own prejudices, therefore bringing those judgements to the forefront of the concept, which is pretty elegant in it's simplicity.

But the Professor originally wanted the 'X' to stand for 'extra power' which normal people didn't have. Which would be similar to implying they are somewhat better or at least +1 than normal people.

#23 Posted by Spawn92 (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Superiors (like homo-superior) or The Mutants.

The only X title that I ever thought made sense was Generation X (they were in fact GenX kids). Oh, and Academy X to some extent

#24 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

But the Professor originally wanted the 'X' to stand for 'extra power' which normal people didn't have. Which would be similar to implying they are somewhat better or at least +1 than normal people.

good quote!

but, that notwithstanding, you can see how that sentiment runs contradictory to his dream of equality, can't you?

@Spawn92 said:

Superiors (like homo-superior) or The Mutants.

The only X title that I ever thought made sense was Generation X (they were in fact GenX kids). Oh, and Academy X to some extent

history may remember it that way, but, no, they were not actually Gen.X kids. Generation X came out when I was a teenager, in 1994, meaning that they were actually a generation too late too be included; though they were created by members of Gen. X (Lobdell and Bachalo), they themselves were not actually members of it.

#25 Posted by lectriccolossus (436 posts) - - Show Bio

hard to say, every so oftehn you come across a name or a title that just fits and encompasses every thing that nothing else will do.

#26 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Sexual Chocolate

#27 Posted by The_Hooligan (97 posts) - - Show Bio

The Merry Mutants.

#28 Posted by cattlebattle (12781 posts) - - Show Bio

The Retconning Retconners

Now with 80% more Retcons.....................

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio

Double Pits to Chesty.

#30 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20254 posts) - - Show Bio

Teenage Mutant Insecure Humans

#31 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the suggestion of calling the team "X-Force." And as for the title of the book, perhaps "X-Factor."

#32 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@unicornpuncher said:

@Med:X2 on Children of the atom

Maybe "The Gifted"

@dangallant984 said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

good quote!

but, that notwithstanding, you can see how that sentiment runs contradictory to his dream of equality, can't you?

That's why I said 'X-Men' isn't a good name for a team with the mission he had outlined for them. I think "The Mutants" or something else would have been better. "The Gifted" or "The Children of the Atom" would be great.

#33 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

@Med:X2 on Children of the atom

Maybe "The Gifted"

#34 Posted by FearTheLiving (3137 posts) - - Show Bio

Evolution X

X-traordinary

@unicornpuncher:

I also like the sound of The Gifted.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.