Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Iceman preaching the truth in Amazing X-men #16 -spoilers-

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
    deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I heard you have omega level and omega class telepaths on your team, NO PROBLEM!

No Caption Provided
    Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm I wonder who's that?

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

No kidding! I hated how during "World War Hulk", there was never an option to just shut him down telepathically. C'mon, to have a character who's near-indestructible have some iron will of mind that is in no way reflected in their actions whatsoever is just silly. Meanwhile, characters like Jean Grey are dead for years for being "too powerful" or Wanda, for example, is always susceptible to a simple punch but if they're a brute!? Well, f--k, of course they can't be beat. Nutzo fanboy logic right there.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is funny but true.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As funny as it is, you guys are crazy if you think that there should be less TP shields....I mean Rachel, Emma and Psylocke would be diffusing situations over breakfast

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Iceman isn't wrong...

Tony Stark had the Avengers implanted with telepathic resistant implants in AVX, so that Emma Frost couldn't end they event in Issue 2

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh!

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: But current versions just make telepaths irrelevant . It'd be better if telepaths can fight against these shields but currently its all or nothing kind of situation . Even in case of other powers , even if they're weakened , they can fight back . Unfortunately telepathy cant

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhino999: Yea but lets not act like we havn't had some great moments when they have overcome the TP resistance and we can't forget some of the crazy powerful things they've done without things holding them back. The thing is that if you don't give them TP sheilds as a obstacle then the other characters will have a hard time shining. An issue that might be about Jubilee overcoming a personal weakness would be overshadowed by the fact that Rachel or Psylocke would KO the villain.

It would be different if they never got a chance to shine, but without some form of TP resistance then every issue would/should end the same. They may need to be more creative with it then everybody just having sheilds, but i'd prefer "insert TP immunity here" to them ruining the story with OP game enders.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why Iceman is one of my favorite X-Men. God Bless Bobby Drake!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

As funny as it is, you guys are crazy if you think that there should be less TP shields....I mean Rachel, Emma and Psylocke would be diffusing situations over breakfast

Yeah, pretty much what I was going to say. There would be no point in the X-Men fighting anyone or do anything if the telepaths could just show up and effect everyone's mind. It would be silly.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, what happened to the days when psis would overcome tp immunity and psi static and blocks to perform feats,

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prof x took down both x-men and and avengers who supposedly had psi shields during avx. He did this while being attacked by Rachel with both tp and tk outburst. still can't believe how he did that. hahaha

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I like when comics make fun of themselves.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@rhino999: Yea but lets not act like we havn't had some great moments when they have overcome the TP resistance and we can't forget some of the crazy powerful things they've done without things holding them back.

I dont think Rachel has ever done something like that though

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rachel didn't do anything in this issue.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psi resistance generally only applies to reading thoughts or mental probes. Psi blasts or psionic attacks usually aren't affected. Characters like Wolverine and Storm who have been said to have high psi resistance have been mentally controlled, and incapacitated by psionic attacks before.

Generally telepathic resistance is an easy PIS route for a writer to take to justify having to fight an enemy for events and multi-issue arcs.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By poisonfleur

Seriously... Main characters are immune to telepathy. Storm, Magneto, Cap, Iron Man, Psylocke, Daredevil, .... wow it's pretty useless nowadays...

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes what is the point of making all these strong telepaths when they really can only use their powers on baseline humans on only on people after they are beat up or have helmets and such removed

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of those character's aren't immune to telepathy, though - they are just strongly resistant to having their thoughts being read and/or certain telepathic techniques. Think of it like enhanced durability. Many characters have enhanced durability, but they can still be beaten down by someone with greater strength.

Seriously... Main characters are immune to telepathy. Storm, Magneto, Cap, Iron Man, Psylocke, Daredevil, .... wow it's pretty useless nowadays...

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rhino999

@phoenixofthetides: Iron Man is immune and he can extend it to pretty much everyone and so does Magneto with his helmet. And most of telepathic shields does make them immune to telepathy especially ones with Shield , magic users and aliens. Its weird that telepaths have one of weaker telepathic defenses right now.

Basically telepathy is useless against Magic users, advanced tech users and some resourceful people

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darthphoenix

@phoenixofthetides: i agree. The only character I know who is IMMUNE TO TP attacks or intrusion is spiderwoman because of her implants. I dont know if this implant is still effective when a telepath would use cerebro.

also, one ironic thing lately is that beast is able to use cerebro even though he is not a telepath. next thing we know, everyone will have tp abilities because of supposed technology.

sad, because telepathy is one power that sets mutants/x-men apart from the avengers.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rhino999

@darthphoenix: Rachel has done nothing in any Amazing X-men issue that cant be done by a radio

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know. they should have just taken her off the title. I think, its either they'll put a conflict between her and bobby or pair them together.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prof x took down both x-men and and avengers who supposedly had psi shields during avx. He did this while being attacked by Rachel with both tp and tk outburst. still can't believe how he did that. hahaha

he was the premier telepath on Earth. It can totally be believed. The most powerful telepath on Earth - and with the greatest skills to back it up. Professor X was a TP monster. We're just lucky that 616 Charles has SOME scruples or he'd have remade the world way back when.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rhino999

I know. they should have just taken her off the title. I think, its either they'll put a conflict between her and bobby or pair them together.

They're already pairing Firestar and Iceman(fortunately)

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still a fan of iceman and kitty. Though iceman and firestar would be a good combination too. I wonder if their future kid would have powers like oya

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still a fan of iceman and kitty. Though iceman and firestar would be a good combination too. I wonder if their future kid would have powers like oya

being life-long indifferent or actively hating Kitty... i really dislike her pairing with Bobby. He's one of my favourite characters. She's so mary-sue bland.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhino999 said:

@phoenixofthetides: Iron Man is immune and he can extend it to pretty much everyone and so does Magneto with his helmet. And most of telepathic shields does make them immune to telepathy especially ones with Shield , magic users and aliens. Its weird that telepaths have one of weaker telepathic defenses right now.

Basically telepathy is useless against Magic users, advanced tech users and some resourceful people

But, once again, the only thing we've seen actual telepathic immunity do in Iron Man's case is protect against having his thoughts read, or from psionic mind control. Characters with high telepathic resistance, such as Storm, gained it as a result of some natural resistance and training from other telepaths. Jean and Professor X could still enter Storm's mind, read her thoughts, and communicate with her (Psylocke in her heyday, as well). The same with Magneto. I don't recall Iron Man ever having immunity to a psionic attack like a mental bolt or psi blast. Even during AvX, all he had was the ability to prevent being shutdown psionically, and the battle against Emma really didn't have her try to use psibolts IIRC.

No Caption Provided

If we are talking about magic users and aliens, that has more to do with the fact that most Earth-born telepaths simply can't comprehend how they think. A psibolt is still effective, but reading an alien, magical being, or god(dess)'s thoughts is similar to hearing static on a radio. You can hear it, but it seems to simply be an issue with being able to tune in to what is actually being said. Enchantress had no issue shutting Prof. X out of her mind, and she could extend this protection to others without using a complicated spell. Couldn't find a good scan talking about this issue - it came up specifically when Prof. X first tried to read Magik's mind, and again when Dr. Strange did something similar, and IIRC it also came up during the Skrull storyline.

No Caption Provided

Here's a scan of Iron Man's armor from those Illuminati days. Once again, all it seems to do is prevent telepaths from reading his thoughts. And the terminology used, psychic dampeners, tends to indicate that they reduce mind-reading, but can be destroyed. Not really sure what his newest armors can do, since most of the heavy hitting telepaths haven't gone against him in their current forms, but I think the strength of his psychic dampeners probably depend on his energy level and the version of the armor he is wearing - i.e. if his armor has been badly damaged, and/or the energy management is compromised, the psych dampening tech might cut out.

No Caption Provided

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Psylocke is the only one immune to PSI bolts because of what his brother did to her

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

In a world where people fly, shoot lasers, Gods live in Oklahoma, and people can read minds it shouldn't come to a shock that the rest of the world, the non-powered world, would think up ways to defend themselves. Especially from telepathy. And surprise, the super powered bad guys decided to get in on that, too.

If society didn't evolve and advance, we'd still be dying of tuberculosis and stuff. This particular society just happens to exist in the same universe as telepaths.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rhino999

@phoenixofthetides said:

@rhino999 said:

But, once again, the only thing we've seen actual telepathic immunity do in Iron Man's case is protect against having his thoughts read, or from psionic mind control. Characters with high telepathic resistance, such as Storm, gained it as a result of some natural resistance and training from other telepaths. Jean and Professor X could still enter Storm's mind, read her thoughts, and communicate with her (Psylocke in her heyday, as well). The same with Magneto. I don't recall Iron Man ever having immunity to a psionic attack like a mental bolt or psi blast. Even during AvX, all he had was the ability to prevent being shutdown psionically, and the battle against Emma really didn't have her try to use psibolts IIRC.

If we are talking about magic users and aliens, that has more to do with the fact that most Earth-born telepaths simply can't comprehend how they think. A psibolt is still effective, but reading an alien, magical being, or god(dess)'s thoughts is similar to hearing static on a radio. You can hear it, but it seems to simply be an issue with being able to tune in to what is actually being said. Enchantress had no issue shutting Prof. X out of her mind, and she could extend this protection to others without using a complicated spell. Couldn't find a good scan talking about this issue - it came up specifically when Prof. X first tried to read Magik's mind, and again when Dr. Strange did something similar, and IIRC it also came up during the Skrull storyline.

Now it is mentioned that psychics cannot beat magic users so it is safe to assume that they have defense against psi bolts . In similar case , Magneto's helmet protects him from psi attacks including psibolts and Tony was able to completely shut down any psi attacks in AXIS and shown to be able to defend against magic. So it is highly unlikely that psi-bolts are effective

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhino999: btw magneo helmet dosent make him immune jean has TPed through the helmet

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rhino999
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I think it´s funny because is so true. Both DC and Marvel have some power/ability/gadget that makes immune or taking less damage to telepathy or some other powerful power/ability/gadget in fact most characther at least main characthers are loosing weakness or gaining resistances.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhino999: not really, it shows she can get through massive TP resistance as this was shown vs juggy like you mentioned and also emma in diamond form which is also highly resistant

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By darthphoenix

Magic wielders are immune to tp manipulations but not psi-bolts. One of the cuckoos was able to attack Magik after BOTA.

I think TP dampeners can be bypassed depending on one's Raw Powers.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Magik thing was PIS since Jean was able to mind control her quite easily which should not be possible since she is supposed to have very strong shields

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: It is a plot hole in case of Juggs because it was never replicated ever again after that (or be retconned since it happened before Claremont began X-men)and same in case of Magneto since Jean was beaten by Magneto even when she was Phoenix

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhino999: you can't just call of them feats PiS thats 3 examples of jean getting through apparantley immune TP defence thats consistant

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rhino999

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: When did she affect Emma in diamond form? In that form she is supposed to be immune to telepathy at cost of her own.

And Only Jean has shown those feats which still makes rest of the psychics in MU or at least X-men pretty useless since they have never shown such capabilities which includes phoenix boosted Madelyn Pryor who needed to destroy Magneto's helmet before she could affect him.

And those are only 3 isolated incidents with three separate characters when there are hundreds of other incidents which contradict that statement

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In fatal attractions prof x psi bolted mags with his helmet on

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix said:

being life-long indifferent or actively hating Kitty... i really dislike her pairing with Bobby. He's one of my favourite characters. She's so mary-sue bland.

i like firestar with iceman but my god i though jean grey was mary sueish, firestar is worst. i dont know if firestar would make it as a x-men. who put her there i the first place?!?!?!?!?

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rhino999

@darthphoenix: Like I said , nothing like that has happened in over a decade so it is very difficult to assume that it is even possible

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Difference is that for Jean they already stated that her telepathy is strong enough to overcome natural or artificial psychic shields.

She overcame mandroid tp shields, Emma frost diamond form, Cypher, juggernaut (twice), magneto, has a strong tp bond with storm, scanning the planet on a plane with psi shields to restrict a psychic entity . Doesn't seem like pis. Xavier, Emma frost, and xman, have similar feats of overcoming psi shields and blocks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Iceman..........shut up.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rhino999

@del_torro: Psi blocks for most parts are plot devices just to make telepaths useless. There are times when people have overcome psi-blocks but those are incredibly rare and/or hasnt been done in a long time. So right now in current Marvel universe only people who seemingly doesnt have telepathic defenses are X-men themselves and for some reason telepaths have worst psi-defenses of all

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.