I need to be sold on Morrison's New X-Men omnibus

#1 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

So with AvX coming to an end soon I'm wanting more Cyclops, I'm curious about Morrison's New X-Men but I really need to be sold on it. How does it compare to Whedon's Astonishing run? Is it just following the main team or are other mutants featured in it as well like Iceman, Gambit, Angel, etc?

#2 Posted by Squalleon (4498 posts) - - Show Bio

@aaunderoath: Wheadon's run is far better in my opinion.As for team members there are basically the same but Grant's run has Jean Gray,Xorn and some kids that i don't remember now.

#3 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant's run is one of the best of all time IMO. I like it more than Whedon's run.

#4 Edited by Billy Batson (57922 posts) - - Show Bio

It's meh but X-Men fans seem to enjoy, particularly because of the horrible stuff before it, so even mediocre stuff is good compared to it.
The main X-Men are Cyclops, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Wolverine, Beast and Professor X.
It also features Fantomex, Beak, Angel Salvadore, The Cuckoos, Kid Omega and the Omega Gang, some other annoying lame mutants too, Magneto and Xorn (hehe).
BB

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@aaunderoath: Wheadon's run is far better in my opinion.As for team members there are basically the same but Grant's run has Jean Gray,Xorn and some kids that i don't remember now.

I disagree with it being "far better" on the whole, but Whedon's run is better for Cyclops.

#6 Posted by stambo42 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I had trouble caring about the events of Whedon's run, Morrison takes the basic concepts of the X-men, and makes them relevant to the 21st century. He was really the first to consider the idea that young mutants might be bored with the Xavier/Magneto debate, what a mutant school and mutant subculture might look like. The whole thing builds upon itself, and considers the ramifications of the events taking place. 139 might be the single best issue ever written regarding Emma Frost. Some arcs are better than others, and some people aren't entirely happy with his depiction of Magneto (myself included). Still he tells a self contained story that carries a degree of relevance within its own universe, which is more than I can say for most mainstream comics. Whedon's run tried to maintain the characters and relationships that Morrison had built, but it lacks the sense of eventful consequence that Morrison had, and I always found Ord to be a lame and uninteresting antagonist.

#7 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men is the greatest. Period. I liked Whedon's run just fine but even that was inspired by what Morrison did on New X-Men. In fact, after those two runs I feel like you could've probably stopped making X-Men comics altogether and I would have been just fine. Yet, it goes on...

Get that Omnibus. Grant's run is every great X-Men story told one right after the other.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jekylhyde14 said:

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men is the greatest. Period. I liked Whedon's run just fine but even that was inspired by what Morrison did on New X-Men. In fact, after those two runs I feel like you could've probably stopped making X-Men comics altogether and I would have been just fine. Yet, it goes on...

Get that Omnibus. Grant's run is every great X-Men story told one right after the other.

I agree. X-Men should have ended when Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon's run on X-Men went off.
#9 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

I agree. X-Men should have ended when Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon's run on X-Men went off.

Ditto

#10 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: your overwhelming enthusiasm in favor of it has sold me! thanks!

#11 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

.... Um, no.

#12 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@aaunderoath:

No problem! Glad you're going to pick it up.

#13 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@aaunderoath said:

@Jekylhyde14: your overwhelming enthusiasm in favor of it has sold me! thanks!

My personal favourite X-run. Definitely won't regret the purchase!

#14 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison. Was. The. Best.

#15 Posted by CoastCityBlues (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's run is amazing (alot like everything else I've read by him). There are pretty much the main character you would expect, but there are also some "new" characters you will LOVE... Get it, pal! You won't hate yourself for it!

#16 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: @Jekylhyde14: @CoastCityBlues: Ok so I got the omnibus and finished it last night. Simply incredible!!! LOVED the new characters, the twists were mind blowing, and in a way makes Whedon's run even better!!

Although there's something that confused me and I'm hoping one of you guys can explain it to me. (just in case people haven't read it yet)

The whole Xorn/Magneto thing confused me to no end. WAS it actually Magneto or was Xorn really a mutant? I ask because Xorn had abilities that I don't remember Magneto ever having. Also I've read the X-Men arc that follows this and Havok has to stop Xorn's head from creating a black hole in china... so if Xorn wasn't real how is that happening??

#17 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@aaunderoath said:

@John Valentine: @Jekylhyde14: @CoastCityBlues: Ok so I got the omnibus and finished it last night. Simply incredible!!! LOVED the new characters, the twists were mind blowing, and in a way makes Whedon's run even better!!

Although there's something that confused me and I'm hoping one of you guys can explain it to me. (just in case people haven't read it yet)

The whole Xorn/Magneto thing confused me to no end. WAS it actually Magneto or was Xorn really a mutant? I ask because Xorn had abilities that I don't remember Magneto ever having. Also I've read the X-Men arc that follows this and Havok has to stop Xorn's head from creating a black hole in china... so if Xorn wasn't real how is that happening??

Yes, this is the one thing that makes me hesitate to recommend this run, and what ultimately makes me prefer Whedon's run.

Essentially, Xorn was Magneto throughout the run. All of Xorn's powers were actually him using nanites to simulate healing. So Xorn was this new and interesting character but wait, nope, actually it was Magneto the WHOLE TIME!

A lot of readers thought it was kind of cheap and out of left field. And some writers as well because later we found out that there WAS actually a Xorn and blah blah blah. Kind of like how Hush introduced Jason Todd as resurrected but not really but other writers like the idea so much they made it real.

So yeah, it was Magneto the whole time, but after the fact other writers made a real Xorn who was never there that Magneto was apparently impersonating.

Edit: Another thing, the arc doesn't age well because any "return of magneto" story doesn't resonate as much when he's on the X-Men these days.

#18 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3525 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run is basically the definitive X-Men story for me at this point. It sounds lofty, but I actually liked his run more than the Phoenix Saga and many other memorable Claremont stories. He made the X-Men human, and not many writers could do that with comic book characters who usually wear spandex.

#19 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: wow ok that's kind of annoying haha but it's good I didn't miss something while reading it. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.