I love Kieron Gillen.

#1 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been a comic fan ever since I picked up the first issue of Astonishing X-men. I truly enjoyed Whedon's run with that comic and how much he made me care for each character in the main roster. Heck I even really felt sorry for Wing and how he died. It wasn't until I picked up other comics that I realized how good I had it with that 24 issue run. Bendis, Fraction...the list can go on and on. I found myself disappointed in the mainstream comics and nearly gave up on reading. At least until I started reading Gillen and found myself enjoying these characters once more!

I'm a huge fan of Uncanny and the Extinction team he's created! Gillen is the reason for this surprising turnaround in my comic interest. He's changed old favorites, Colossus, to give them a newfound interest and brought back old enemies that I had little idea existed (Phalanx). However it's his work with Sinister that's truly awesome. If anyone hasn't read Uncanny X-men 14 I suggest you go spend five bucks on it immediately. It made me love the guy again.

Could things change? Could he go full retard? Sure, but I'm enjoying the ride for now. I'm sure there are others around that enjoy Gillen as much as myself and this thread is for them! Jason Aaron can't get all the love around here, eh?

#2 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Snap that. Gillen's great.

#3 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as i feel like a lot of people are licking his arse atm...he IS doing a good job.

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92622 posts) - - Show Bio

High five.

#5 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Tectonic bump

#6 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

His Journey into Mystery is truly one of Marvel's greatest books today.

#7 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twentyfive said:

His Journey into Mystery is truly one of Marvel's greatest books today.

QFT.
#8 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Clearly the op misspelled the name and meant Giffen :P

#9 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen is one of the best writers at Marvel. It's a shame Marvel mostly uses him as clean up (aka JIM during Fear Itself and Uncanny during AvX).

#10 Posted by Dman1366 (547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

I've been a comic fan ever since I picked up the first issue of Astonishing X-men. I truly enjoyed Whedon's run with that comic and how much he made me care for each character in the main roster. Heck I even really felt sorry for Wing and how he died. It wasn't until I picked up other comics that I realized how good I had it with that 24 issue run. Bendis, Fraction...the list can go on and on. I found myself disappointed in the mainstream comics and nearly gave up on reading. At least until I started reading Gillen and found myself enjoying these characters once more!

I'm a huge fan of Uncanny and the Extinction team he's created! Gillen is the reason for this surprising turnaround in my comic interest. He's changed old favorites, Colossus, to give them a newfound interest and brought back old enemies that I had little idea existed (Phalanx). However it's his work with Sinister that's truly awesome. If anyone hasn't read Uncanny X-men 14 I suggest you go spend five bucks on it immediately. It made me love the guy again.

Could things change? Could he go full retard? Sure, but I'm enjoying the ride for now. I'm sure there are others around that enjoy Gillen as much as myself and this thread is for them! Jason Aaron can't get all the love around here, eh?

@Mercy_

said:

High five.

@John Valentine

said:

Snap that. Gillen's great.

Truth

#11 Posted by Dman1366 (547 posts) - - Show Bio

oh and you can't forget how freaking amazing the tabula rasa story was!!!!!

#12 Posted by Skaddix (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his Journey. His Uncanny Run not so much. Too Much Focus on the Villains.

#13 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: If you love him so much why don't you marry him xP

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? I hate the mans guts 

#15 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

High five.
#16 Posted by Illuminatus (9496 posts) - - Show Bio

Journey into Mystery is full of absolutely phenomenal storytelling.

#17 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

He and the rest of the X crew have to be great to clean up the mess that Fraction made. Not only that, but they have to keep the X-Men afloat through AVX which deserves a round of applause, because the X-Men have been made to looks like total a$$'s in that event "so far at least".

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14467 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen is an awesome writer.

#19 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Maybe I will!

#20 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix said:

I love his Journey. His Uncanny Run not so much. Too Much Focus on the Villains.

Agreed. I think his Uncanny is better than Fraction's but is far too focused on the antagonists, and not enough on building the relationships in the team (outside of maybe Colossus & Magik).

#21 Posted by MarvelGrey (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: He has an amazing handle on Magneto's interactions with Psylocke during the Tabula Rasa arc. It really felt natural something the Xmen haven't had in a long time. The problem though is the AVX tie-in, he has to slow his story for the event, my best day is with his writing in it, that Sinister issue was PURE GENIUS.

And for OP you pay $5 for $3.99 issues?

#22 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@MarvelGrey: Well it's around 4.40 after tax. It's basically five. I suppose I should have said go break a five.

#23 Posted by MarvelGrey (243 posts) - - Show Bio

OH If you were paying that much I would feel the pain for you. I sometimes pay $3 or $4.10

#24 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

His work on Uncanny has been great and Journey into Mystery more so. I look forward to more of his work....

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate X-Men is infinitely better than Uncanny 

#26 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

JIM is the best.

#27 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Ultimate X-Men is infinitely better than Uncanny

Quite right.

#28 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't speak for his X-Men work, not got around to it yet but Gillen on Thor and now Journey into Mystery is amongst some of my all time favorite comic writing.

#29 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

After ultimatum I just couldn't get into ultimate x-men anymore. IMO they killed off way too many characters and it seems like the ultimate x-men are more like underground rebels (from what previews I've seen). It's too different from the 616 x-men for my taste.

#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

After ultimatum I just couldn't get into ultimate x-men anymore. IMO they killed off way too many characters and it seems like the ultimate x-men are more like underground rebels (from what previews I've seen). It's too different from the 616 x-men for my taste.

Well that's entirely the point, who wants to read the same stuff over again 
#31 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Well that's entirely the point, who wants to read the same stuff over again

Yeah but I want to read about the characters I loved growing up. The ultimate universe is an almost radical departure from the 616 x-men, hell they might aswell be a different team these days! The thing that bothers me most about the ultimate universe is that although they said death was permanent if a character was really popular they just made a replacement out of nowhere who has exactly the same powers i.e. Miles Morales and Jimmy Howlett.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osian2 said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Yeah but I want to read about the characters I loved growing up. The ultimate universe is an almost radical departure from the 616 x-men, hell they might aswell be a different team these days! The thing that bothers me most about the ultimate universe is that although they said death was permanent if a character was really popular they just made a replacement out of nowhere who has exactly the same powers i.e. Miles Morales and Jimmy Howlett.

powers don't make the character, also youv already got like, what 8-9 books with the regular X-Men? there is no need for yet another one 
#33 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Nothing happens in Ultimate X-Men. Nothing.

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Well thats not true
#35 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Well thats not true

It's taken thirteen issues to get to a point that could have been reached in five or six. Each issue reads in like three minutes.

#36 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on, John. Lighten up abit.

#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32838 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Well thats not true

It's taken thirteen issues to get to a point that could have been reached in five or six. Each issue reads in like three minutes.

Its been setting up the world and characters post Ultimatum
#38 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

His character interactions are great, but that is about all I get from his writing, That is why My favorite x book by far is UXF because remender also has an interesting ongoing plots and character arcs.

#39 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Quite right.

Well thats not true

Its been setting up the world and characters post Ultimatum

At a painfully slow rate, correct. Doesn't match up with the other Ultimate titles.

#40 Edited by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate X-Men got Brian Wood (and so did the X-Men title) as its writer so yeah it's (they're) better.

#41 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

Ultimate X-Men got Brian Wood (and so did the X-Men title) as its writer so yeah it's (they're) better.

I wouldn't say Security Recon/X-Men is on par with Uncanny...yet. The title as a whole still has a LONG way to go.

#42 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Remi said:

I wouldn't say Security Recon/X-Men is on par with Uncanny...yet. The title as a whole still has a LONG way to go.

We've only seen one issue of Brian Woods X-men so far. It's way too soon to compare, for all we know it could go down hill from here. One great issue can't compare to a great 14 issue run so far.

#43 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it isn't. Wood just outclasses Gillen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.