How would you alter Astonishing X-men to make it better?

#1 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

With the news that X-treme X-men and Age of Apocalpyse are ending. The only book left standing after the X-Terminated event will be AXM. But is it worth saving? What should Marjorie Liu do? Which artist could help make it look more attractive? What roster would work better?

I think it's not all Liu's fault, Marvel has given her a book so on the fringes no one really know about unless they heard about the Northstar wedding 'event'. I do believe she knows what she's doing but her cast could be more exciting and her stories could be more adventurous and alternative. The art from what i have seen leaves little to be desired. And the cast could be more interesting to me even though i like her giving Karma and Dr. Reyes some love. I feel she need a new direction and all new cast. Maybe get her to right the younger X-men and have a few adult X-men as mentors.

Any other suggestions?

#2 Posted by judasnixon (6465 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was up to me I would rotate the writes, cast, and artist per story arcs. First arc Chris Yost and Craig Kyle on writing, and Mike Choi on art. Second arc Brian wood on writing, and Phil Noto on art. Third arc Peter David on writing, and Amanda Conner on art. So on, and so on. Marjorie Lui is a fine writer, I just don't care for her X-Men run. 

#3 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Just bring back Joss Whedon already. Done. Fixed.

#4 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring back old members of the X-Lore like Christina Weir and Nunzio Defilipis, rotate them with Chris Yost and Craig Kyle and turn this into a teen-X-Book, labeling THEM the Astonishing X-Men.

We need some space for the fresh-blood and their own endeavors, it's an evident inclination that WATXM is not sufficing and ANXM is just as stupid and irrelevant. The kids NEED another opportunity as, clearly, none of them are good enough to appear in YA or even AA. Don't think this book needs another menstrual/testosterone saturated line-up anymore. It's boring.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Kick off Liu and replace her with Yost or just cancel it all together.

#6 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Joss Whedon back!

#7 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she needs to stop focusing so much on Northstar and his marriage. It was interesting to start with, but now it's gotten a little stale. It is like she has forgotten that she has another gay member on the team--Karma--and she is often brushed to the side. I don't think she needs to put a lot of focus into her, but I do think it is high time that they explored Karma's relationships a little more and give the character a little light in her life. She is one of those that is constantly beaten down, and has little in the way of 'success' and I would like to see a change in that. Unfortunately, Liu has only alienated her and further decimated her character with the first arc with her sister and long lost father. It's just a shame.

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X said:

I think she needs to stop focusing so much on Northstar and his marriage. It was interesting to start with, but now it's gotten a little stale. It is like she has forgotten that she has another gay member on the team--Karma--and she is often brushed to the side. I don't think she needs to put a lot of focus into her, but I do think it is high time that they explored Karma's relationships a little more and give the character a little light in her life. She is one of those that is constantly beaten down, and has little in the way of 'success' and I would like to see a change in that. Unfortunately, Liu has only alienated her and further decimated her character with the first arc with her sister and long lost father. It's just a shame.

Who actually cares about Northstar and Kyle? It's awful. I've never seen anyone claiming to enjoy it.

#9 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine:

I said I was tired of it, not that I enjoyed it. <.<

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X said:

@John Valentine:

I know. But I'm highlighting the main problem of Liu's run.

#11 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Target_X said:

@John Valentine:

Yeah, she's focused waaaaaay too long on him. She has a ton more interesting characters on the team. I really wish she would do something with Karma; something not bad, like I said. X.x

#12 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X said:

@John Valentine said:

@Target_X said:

@John Valentine:

Yeah, she's focused waaaaaay too long on him. She has a ton more interesting characters on the team. I really wish she would do something with Karma; something not bad, like I said. X.x

I agree with both of you on this. Northstar has taken too much attention on this book and his husband has gotten more development than actual X-men so i feel they have got to go back to Alpha Flight i am over Northstar as an X-man. Give Karma some of the iconic gay character spotlight and allow her to find somebody for once. She has been treated like an X-nun for so long she deserves some lovin. And maybe we need some other gay character now that i think about it. These two and Anole can't be the only ones.

#13 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver_Raven: if you'd asked me this a week ago, I would have said to replace Warbird for Storm, Psylocke, and Kitty, make them the focus, move Wolverine further into the background, and keep the rest of the team the same.

But now Storm, Psylocke and Kitty will be in X-men, so scratch that plan and put Cecilia in X-men.

As for what to do with this book,

@AgeofHurricane said:

Bring back old members of the X-Lore like Christina Weir and Nunzio Defilipis, rotate them with Chris Yost and Craig Kyle and turn this into a teen-X-Book, labeling THEM the Astonishing X-Men.

We need some space for the fresh-blood and their own endeavors, it's an evident inclination that WATXM is not sufficing and ANXM is just as stupid and irrelevant. The kids NEED another opportunity as, clearly, none of them are good enough to appear in YA or even AA. Don't think this book needs another menstrual/testosterone saturated line-up anymore. It's boring.

I'd have to say I mostly agree with the Hurricane on this one. And, yeah, I'm as surprised as anyone by this.

And you wouldn't have to completely scrap it, since both Northstar and Karma have been great mentor type roles, Iceman and Kitty could be in the supporting cast, but really let the focus be on the younger characters like

Maybe Chamber could be their leader? I dunno, but something like this would interest me.

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Get Joss Whedon back!

haha! couldn't hurt!

#14 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

I agree with everything but bringing back Yost and Kyle. They did more harm than good for the x-kids. And ruined a lot of the things i loved about Weir's and Defilipis' stories. But i would love a return to the Academy X days. Having the mentor/mentee relationships back and more youthful, fun stories. This is very much need again.

I think Marjorie can do it too, like she did with NYX, but she has to open up her world to more characters than her favourites. I just wish she had a better niche to work with. So the New/Young X-men would be perfect. And they are such a diverse group of mutants i am sure she can develop them well. She can also bring in her NYX kids too.

#15 Posted by judasnixon (6465 posts) - - Show Bio

Josh Whedon is never coming back to write astonishing X-men. That man is make way to much money doing other things now.

#16 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk. Liu is a good writer, but her astonishing run is mediocre. Perhaps just end it.

#17 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver_Raven said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I agree with everything but bringing back Yost and Kyle. They did more harm than good for the x-kids. And ruined a lot of the things i loved about Weir's and Defilipis' stories. But i would love a return to the Academy X days. Having the mentor/mentee relationships back and more youthful, fun stories. This is very much need again.

I think Marjorie can do it too, like she did with NYX, but she has to open up her world to more characters than her favourites. I just wish she had a better niche to work with. So the New/Young X-men would be perfect. And they are such a diverse group of mutants i am sure she can develop them well. She can also bring in her NYX kids too.

I think the New X-Men kids are too old to go back to that school-mentor phase of Academy X. Moreover, which X-Men would act as their mentors? Beast, Storm, Iceman and Kitty seem pre-occupied. Wolverine's pretty much handed over the running of the school to Kitty and is too damn busy to be a full-time mentor. In fact, I think they're too old to be in school at all, given everything they've been through. They're definitely too old to be mixed in a class with the likes of Idie, Broo, Genesis etc.

I think Storm would make a good mentor to the older New X-Men characters, I feel. Hell, Rachel would be a good choice!

In an ideal world, I'd choose Cable. I'd scrap CaTXF and have Cable run a team with Hellion, X-23, Rockslide, Surge, Anole, Mercury and Dust.

Problem is that these characters are just wallpaper/have been integrated into ranks with the other,younger students a la Rockslide.

#18 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Silver_Raven said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I think the New X-Men kids are too old to go back to that school-mentor phase of Academy X. Moreover, which X-Men would act as their mentors? Beast, Storm, Iceman and Kitty seem pre-occupied. Wolverine's pretty much handed over the running of the school to Kitty and is too damn busy to be a full-time mentor. In fact, I think they're too old to be in school at all, given everything they've been through. They're definitely too old to be mixed in a class with the likes of Idie, Broo, Genesis etc.

I think Storm would make a good mentor to the older New X-Men characters, I feel. Hell, Rachel would be a good choice!

In an ideal world, I'd choose Cable. I'd scrap CaTXF and have Cable run a team with Hellion, X-23, Rockslide, Surge, Anole, Mercury and Dust.

Problem is that these characters are just wallpaper/have been integrated into ranks with the other,younger students a la Rockslide.

Well i don't want the squads back or want the to focus to much on the school since i think there is a book that should be doing this (but isn't). I would just like to see an extension almost of the street teams that Dazzler was in charge of after Regenesis. I like the idea of elder X-men taking younger ones under their wing and giving them training and experience in the field. I am sure some of those kids at the school are old enough to decide what kind of life they want to lead and should be branching off and becoming X-men in their own right. They just need the right mentors to show them the ropes. Maybe some New Mutants and Gen Xers can, since they have been not utlized enough.

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon.

#20 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver_Raven said:I think Marjorie can do it too, like she did with NYX, but she has to open up her world to more characters than her favourites. I just wish she had a better niche to work with. So the New/Young X-men would be perfect. And they are such a diverse group of mutants i am sure she can develop them well. She can also bring in her NYX kids too.

Well i don't want the squads back or want the to focus to much on the school since i think there is a book that should be doing this (but isn't). I would just like to see an extension almost of the street teams that Dazzler was in charge of after Regenesis. I like the idea of elder X-men taking younger ones under their wing and giving them training and experience in the field. I am sure some of those kids at the school are old enough to decide what kind of life they want to lead and should be branching off and becoming X-men in their own right. They just need the right mentors to show them the ropes. Maybe some New Mutants and Gen Xers can, since they have been not utlized enough.

I totally forgot she did NYX! -that would be cool.

And I agree that this type of mentor role might be better for some of the characters they don't seem to know what to do with, like Northstar, Karma or Chamber. Hell, maybe it's even time for Cannonball to have his own X-men team again; younger characters would certainly be better for that.

#21 Posted by Veitha (3034 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon with Emma, Scott, Kitty, Beast, Colossus, Kitty and Logan as the roster... But this is impossible lol

#22 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Astonishing can go two ways.

It can bring back the alternative feel of Gen X, with Cannonball and Dani in place of Banshee and Emma, along with Husk, Chamber, M, Rictor and Shatterstar as instructors/agents and new recruits like Surge, Dust, Hellion, Transonic and Velocity. They could be like X-Corporation, travelling the world, setting up mutant embassies or agencies and developing mutant-human relations.

It could get a radical new cast of characters who you would not think of as X-men under the leadership of a notable but underplayed character like Polaris or Bishop? Then have a team with characters like Sage, Dazzler, Longshot, Exodus, Blink and Mimic. They can work on the West Coast and be a private agency that does security/search/rescue but also be public heroes. Almost celebrities. If they have Dazzler on the team then they should be stars.

#23 Posted by poisonfleur (3026 posts) - - Show Bio

The cast and plot in astonishing has been random lately.

Unlike Uncany X-men, X-men, or Wolverine and the X-men, X-force, or Legacy it doesn't serve a certain plot.

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

Whedon with Emma, Scott, Kitty, Beast, Colossus, Kitty and Logan as the roster... But this is impossible lol

This 1000x!!!!

#25 Posted by Selina_Sublime (151 posts) - - Show Bio

The Astonishing lineup was so wonder bread boring other than the Kitty/Emma stuff (which was being achingly overdone in other titles with Rachel, Psylocke, and Moonstar).

I'd like to see:

Chamber
Frenzy
Rockslide
M
Cannonball

Maybe swap Karma for Blindfold

#26 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selina_Sublime said:

The Astonishing lineup was so wonder bread boring other than the Kitty/Emma stuff (which was being achingly overdone in other titles with Rachel, Psylocke, and Moonstar).

I'd like to see:

Chamber
Frenzy
Rockslide
M
Cannonball

Maybe swap Karma for Blindfold

This line-up looks amazing to me!

..although I would keep Northstar, and just not focus on Kyle so much.

And I would never slam Whedon's run; it's just too perfect.

#27 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

what about..

#28 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selina_Sublime: Nice lineup. not too different but with enough change to make it interesting. I hope Kitty is the leader.

I am kind of hoping Astonishing recruits Dazzler and Sage and maybe a Nightcrawler after the X-terminated event.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.