Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

how should i get caught up on xmen from where i left off

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i have most of the xmen books digitally and i left off after magnetos trial and he took over the xmen so right before xfactor. i then stopped and read other things like preacher,watchmen, green lantern etc. i quit since keeping up on 4 different titles got really slow and boring and i wasnt a fan of the newmutants style. now my questions are 1. could i just read xmen abd xfactor and stop new mutants without being lost 2. if i stopped and just jumped to more recent stories lets say 2000 and later where shoulf i start 3. if i jump ahead can i read all of wolverine without keeping up with xmen and 4. what are the best xmen arcs from magnetos trial til now that i would enjoy like say the mutant massacre arc. sorry for long post

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

i have most of the xmen books digitally and i left off after magnetos trial and he took over the xmen so right before xfactor. i then stopped and read other things like preacher,watchmen, green lantern etc. i quit since keeping up on 4 different titles got really slow and boring and i wasnt a fan of the newmutants style. now my questions are

1. could i just read xmen abd xfactor and stop new mutants without being lost

yeah, I think so. That's how I did it originally.

2. if i stopped and just jumped to more recent stories lets say 2000 and later where shoulf i start

Grant Morrison's new X-men (2001) started off pretty decently, I would recommend the first 3 or 4 trades of that, but it's pretty different from the golden age you've already read, and not really for everyone. Some neat ideas, but pretty inconsistent storytelling (and art). But reading the first few trades does set up some ideas further explored in..

Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-men (2004) is really solid, classic style X-men. While it might not be the most original era of X-men stories, it's certainly one of the most enjoyable. I'd recommend all four trades (Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstoppable) to just about anyone. From this same period, you might want to check out House of M (2005), as it sets the stage for the contemporary era of X-men and their place in the MU, and features some great art by Olivier Coipel.

3. if i jump ahead can i read all of wolverine without keeping up with xmen

That I can't speak on with any authority, since I haven't followed his solo book(s) with any regularity since the mid-90's. sorry.

4. what are the best xmen arcs from magnetos trial til now that i would enjoy like say the mutant massacre arc.

I would recommend reading everything up until the end of the Mutant Massacre (1986), at least. After that, the X-men go into their "outback" (or replacement X-men) era, and a lot of it's pretty contrived and doesn't have that much to do with them being X-men; but I would recommend reading the original Genosha story line (Uncanny X-men #235-238) from this period. It's probably the only essential story from this period, although, if you like it, you may like it's sequel the X-tinction Agenda.

Both X-men and Uncanny X-men were pretty solid and good in the early 90's, with the re-formation of the team in X-men #1, the X-cutioners Song, Fatal Attractions, and the Phalanx Covanent, but went from mediocre to bad in the late 90's. But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure people will be quick to point out stories like Legion Quest, the subsequent Age of Apocalypse crossover, and Operation: Zero Tolerance as decent stories from that period, though I myself don't recommend them very highly.

sorry for long post

no worries; I do hope this helps!

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#3  Edited By time1

i have most of the xmen books digitally and i left off after magnetos trial and he took over the xmen so right before xfactor. i then stopped and read other things like preacher,watchmen, green lantern etc. i quit since keeping up on 4 different titles got really slow and boring and i wasnt a fan of the newmutants style. now my questions are 1. could i just read xmen abd xfactor and stop new mutants without being lost 2. if i stopped and just jumped to more recent stories lets say 2000 and later where shoulf i start 3. if i jump ahead can i read all of wolverine without keeping up with xmen and 4. what are the best xmen arcs from magnetos trial til now that i would enjoy like say the mutant massacre arc. sorry for long post

I think these questions get ask all time. This is what I suggest, check out one of my lists, It's called X-Men recommendations, it's a list of major story arcs. if you just want to get back into comics now, then start reading the main x-titles, All new X-Men and uncanny X-Men. Go on marvel website to check out the current X-Men titles.

Past titles you should read is

New X-Men(Grant Morrison)

X-treme X-Men ( Chris Claremont)

Kyle and Yost X-Force.

Uncanny X-Force( Rick Reminder)

Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men.

Any questions pm me.

From what I understand, is that you red X-Men comics in the 1980's, I suggest you read all of the comics from the early 1990's, including Age of Apocalypse, which is a great story arc. After that story I don't think the X-Men comics were that great, the late 1990's were not that that good. From 1990 to 1997 I think, which is when I Age of Apcoalypse story ended. The early 1990's was amazing. I suggest you read those titles.

Also read Grant Morrison from the year 2000 and X-Treme X-Men ( chris Claremont). The X-Force titles and Joss whedon series came after that. Don't read Matt Fraction run, it's rubbish, it started in 2008 and ended in 2011. Infact Uncanny X-Men has been rubbish for past 6 years between 2008 and 2012. The divided we stand story arc was pretty good, it was release after Messiah complex story arc, in 2008.

I hope this helps

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@time: @oldnightcrawler: @bigtewell:

I'd throw in the Academy X/New X-Men Childhood's End series just to get a hold of the younger mutants too.

yeah, it's not essential, but it is quite good. I second this recommendation.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

I actually didn't read academy X or New X-Men, childhood End series. I heard it was good though.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Getting into X-Men seems about as maddening and arduous as getting a doctorate. Maybe I'll do that instead.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@oldnightcrawler: thIs actually helps a lot! my goal whIle class Is out Is to catch up on xmen and Im really,curIous to,see how cyclopse turns Into a magneto lIke,vIllaIn sInce hes my thIrd favorIte xmen after colossus and nIghtcrawler and Is It true hes stIll dead?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@time said:

I actually didn't read academy X or New X-Men, childhood End series. I heard it was good though.

Read it. Within my top five favourite X-runs of all time.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: thIs actually helps a lot! my goal whIle class Is out Is to catch up on xmen and Im really,curIous to,see how cyclopse turns Into a magneto lIke,vIllaIn sInce hes my thIrd favorIte xmen after colossus and nIghtcrawler and Is It true hes stIll dead?

hey, no problem; I'm glad to help.

Nightcrawler? yeah, his is one of the deaths that has stuck, sadly. At least he had a great, heroic death, even if it was in a not so great story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.