How is Astonishing X-Men?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm referring to the team that consists of Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Gambit, and Northstar. Any good? Where would I start if I chose to catch up?

#2 Posted by judasnixon (7168 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not very good. Go buy something else. 

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Reason I'm asking is because comixology is having a sale for a dollar per issue. Really, it's not good? I like almost all those characters...

#4 Edited by ScarletBatman (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Reason I'm asking is because comixology is having a sale for a dollar per issue. Really, it's not good? I like almost all those characters...

Even if they're bad (I haven't read this comic series), they're still only a dollar an issue. You'll pay more than that for the TPB. Take a chance and live a little. I say go for it. The character alone sound like it should at least be entertaining.

#5 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Liu is a solid writer, but her work on the current Astonishing is not good. Not terrible, but not good. I'd say borrow it.

#6 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@ScarletBatman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Reason I'm asking is because comixology is having a sale for a dollar per issue. Really, it's not good? I like almost all those characters...

Even if they're bad (I haven't read this comic series), they're still only a dollar an issue. You'll pay more than that for the TPB. Take a chance and live a little. I say go for it. The character alone sound like it should at least be entertaining.

He's right. I've read them, and I liked them, but they aren't mind-blowing or essential. They definitely aren't for everyone. If you aren't a fan of Karma or Northstar, I wouldn't bother. But the cast is quite good, I like how Cecilia and Gambit are written quite a lot, I like Wolverine's role, and that he's more in the background. Warbird is quite gimmicky and out of place, but she doesn't ruin it for me. Long story short, if I could have got them for a buck apiece, I would have.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

About how much of it is about Iceman and Gambit? Those two are the main reason I'd wanna read this. Northstar is pretty cool too

#8 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: they're on the core of the team, but so far it's been more about Nothstar and Karma. and Warbird I guess. But, like I said, the use of Gambit is very well done. Refreshing even. He seems much more of an integral part of this team than others he's been on.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmm I might give it a shot then. What issue do I begin with?

#10 Posted by time (5166 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't buy it, it's boring.

#11 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

And btw, that's not Storm, it's Warbird. No worries though, you're not the first to make that mistake.

But yeah, it's not that good, was supposed to be along the lines of dark and gritty, but no. Liu's just not doing enough and sadly, she's pretty much fallen flat on her face after the Wedding. Had this turned into a comic centered around the New X-Men, i'm pretty sure it would have been much better all round. But no. Marvel went for this.

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: @ScarletBatman: The first arc (minus the wedding) is mainly about Karma... Iceman, Wolverine, Gambit, and Cecilia are mainly in the background, Northstar and his husband Kyle are pretty much featured often, and the current story involves Warbird, which, to be honest, is much more entertaining and edgy than the first story arc! It seems Gambit and Cecilia are forming a close relationship too! Their are some sparks of hope for this series, but Iceman doesn't bring anything to this series so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets removed from the book.

#13 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read issues 1-24 I think.I was finished after the story over was over and the X-Men came down from space.I would recommend that run,it was a fun read.It was fun yet serious,more comics should be written like this.In this run,you'll find

-space adventures

-Cyclops yet forming another X-Men team

-Action,Danger,Romance

-A cure for mutants

-Killer and crazy robot

#14 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

I've only read issues 1-24 I think.I was finished after the story over was over and the X-Men came down from space.I would recommend that run,it was a fun read.It was fun yet serious,more comics should be written like this.In this run,you'll find

-space adventures

-Cyclops yet forming another X-Men team

-Action,Danger,Romance

-A cure for mutants

-Killer and crazy robot

oh yeah, everyone should read that run; it really is the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.