Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How does X-Necrosha compare to....

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blazinasian112

How does X-Necrosha compare to Second Coming, Messiah War, and Messiah Complex?  I loved all three....was thinking about picking up the X-Necrosha TPB.  Opinions?
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

I personally hated it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Not as good as any of them, IMO.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Hmm depends really like most things do Today, my library for the first time handed me over the Giant Sized Hardback Necrosha TPB, its has all of it in one Graphic Novel. X-Force, Legacy etc, its like the largest Marvel book I have ever hired from a library, usually its the softcover TPB's lol 

So maybe I am entering this thread with bias, but yeah, I like Necrosha quite a lot. First things first though, are you a fan of Clayton Crain? Cause I am a huge fan, but I noticed a lot of people found his art hard to see, hard to follow, and hard to kill... whoops sorry, that last criticism is a Steven Seagal movie. Anyway, I love how dark and twisted, and distorted Crain's art is, and if you read Messiah War you have a rough idea of what I mean? To me, his art oozes dark, silky awesome.  

I think I preferred this to Messiah War, and I liked this about the same as Second Coming, which I thought started strong, and ended weak. I thought this book did that as well. Messiah Complex, I found patchy. Anyway, positive Necrosha things for me were   

GOOD
    - The art,  Clayton Crain, Clay Mann, and covers by Adi Granov.

- Getting to see so many characters I love that I haven't seen in ages, don't want to spoil, but there were heaps.  

- The Following characters got at least one Moment of Awesome, Moment of Badass, or Moment of Cool. Some even got Crowning Moments. So, Dani Moonstar, Cypher, Warpath, Magneto, Rogue, Loa, Husk, Selene, Deadpool, and a bunch of returning characters too...

- Some actual resolution to old plots from X-Stories from years past. Nice resolution too. Ties up some loose ends.  

- Variant covers. They had a homage to like every single badass vampire movie ever. James Proudstar playing Jason Patric's role in Lost Boys? Seriously probably coolest Marvel cover ever... except for maybe that one with the baby Beta Ray Bill being rode by baby Thor over a rainbow.  

BAD 
    -  The Ending. Typical really, of X-Events. Things start cracking but sort of fizzle. At least for me...  

- Felt a bit, well I think it might read better now, eyeing up my TPB, for one reading it like a TPB, but the timeframe of the story, spread over a couple of weeks, like one poster said, it feels like just a bunch of fights. I think that can work, in one sitting, but over a couple of weeks, it sort of feels like dragging.  

- The ending. -_- 

- Maybe the art for some? Might lack your favorite character? Concentrates on X-Force, New Mutants, but side story features a bunch of X-Mainstays. (Legacy part) 

- Emma felt really off here for me. I did. Not. Like. 

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By pixelized
    @SC:  Gotta Say, I didn't love Crain's art. It was hard to make out who/what was happening in a lot of scenes. If I'm having trouble distinguishing Emma from Cyclops, we have a major problem.

Overall I felt my hype for the serious was leaps and bounds higher than what it could deliver so I was let down in the end. looking back at it though without my expectations, I'd still be let down. There's no way to justify that horrid, horrid ending.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @pixelized said:
    " @SC:  Gotta Say, I didn't love Crain's art. It was hard to make out who/what was happening in a lot of scenes. If I'm having trouble distinguishing Emma from Cyclops, we have a major problem.  Overall I felt my hype for the serious was leaps and bounds higher than what it could deliver so I was let down in the end. looking back at it though without my expectations, I'd still be let down. There's no way to justify that horrid, horrid ending. "

Yeah, he is a very polarizing artist. I love how he uses shade and light, as if they almost characters themselves, and no other artist can make Pyro look as awesome as he did in his scenes, none ever. On the other hand as you say, maybe light and darkness shouldn't be as important characters as the, actual characters themselves, so if you can't tell your Emma's from your Scott's then yes... lol a problem. I actually just identified Emma as the one on her knees sobbing. -_- 

I have found almost all the endings to X-Books bad myself but yeah, this one was especially... I liked how Legacy's part ended though, maybe if I pretend thats the ending...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @SC: I think that's a pretty good review!  :) 

Personally, I think Necrosha had so many ups & downs.  The core story in X-Force was drawn out.  It could have been two issues shorter.  But at the same time it did give a little time to some of my favourite characters.   It also felt anti-climactic, that so much time was spent building it up that the end was kinda rushed.

Necrosha was a different kind of cross-over though.  The Messiah trilogy was one long running story, while Necrosha had different stories in each title.  Which helped, since you weren't dragged down by inferior writing skills in Uncanny X-Men ;) 

A lot of people don't like Necrosha, but I still kinda like it. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @xerox-kitty: I have a love/hate relationship with Necrosha.  

@pixelized said:
    " @SC:  Gotta Say, I didn't love Crain's art. It was hard to make out who/what was happening in a lot of scenes. If I'm having trouble distinguishing Emma from Cyclops, we have a major problem.  Overall I felt my hype for the serious was leaps and bounds higher than what it could deliver so I was let down in the end. looking back at it though without my expectations, I'd still be let down. There's no way to justify that horrid, horrid ending. "
    Crain has a very unique art style. It's well-suited to X-Force but is very busy. So when it's applied to a large crossover, things get lost. Give me Choi and Oback any day of the week. And do not get me started on the ending. -___-
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @SC:  nice! i like your summary. Necrosha wasn't really bad or really good.  it was alright but i don't think it was better than Second Coming, Messiah War, or Messiah Complex. i do love Clayton Crain's art though :) he should be on my list of favorite artists along with Adi Granov.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @xerox-kitty: I have a love/hate relationship with Necrosha."
    I'm quite similar... but not so extreme (I don't 'hate' it ;)
    Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

Necrosha was not that great, they only made it to bring back Cypher. Messiah War was very intresting, it showed a glimce of power Hope has. Second Coming was very interisting it showed lots of action.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By papad1992

Necrosha was good.... no, acceptable.... no, alright.....no, fine....no, disappointing-ish.... yeah, disappointing-ish!!!! It felt like one big never-ending fight that spread for over a few months. It was kind of messy and not clear at some points!!! (Like Feral having her mutant powers after she died even though she didn't.... she just had the appearance!!! oh and there's the robot part of her that's also confusing!!!!)

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pixelized
    @SC said:
    " @pixelized said:
     Yeah, he is a very polarizing artist. I love how he uses shade and light, as if they almost characters themselves, and no other artist can make Pyro look as awesome as he did in his scenes, none ever. On the other hand as you say, maybe light and darkness shouldn't be as important characters as the, actual characters themselves, so if you can't tell your Emma's from your Scott's then yes... lol a problem. I actually just identified Emma as the one on her knees sobbing. -_-  I have found almost all the endings to X-Books bad myself but yeah, this one was especially... I liked how Legacy's part ended though, maybe if I pretend thats the ending... "
    I Didn't mean to come across so harsh on Crain, I'm actually a fan, but something happened in Necrosha that put me off a little... well a lot.

@The Dark Huntress said:
    " @xerox-kitty: I have a love/hate relationship with Necrosha.  

@pixelized said:
    Crain has a very unique art style. It's well-suited to X-Force but is very busy. So when it's applied to a large crossover, things get lost. Give me Choi and Oback any day of the week. And do not get me started on the ending. -___- "
    I'm not a Mike Choi fan, at all. 

I'm ready to be skewered.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
    @pixelized: ..............................explain to me what you don't like about his art so that I can try and understand where you're coming from. 
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pixelized
    @The Dark Huntress:  I feel as though he has a standard model for all his normal human characters, and he just recycles that endlessly. His Emma, Gambit, and X-23 all look identical with hair color being the exception.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_
    @pixelized said:
    " @The Dark Huntress:  I feel as though he has a standard model for all his normal human characters, and he just recycles that endlessly. His Emma, Gambit, and X-23 all look identical with hair color being the exception. "
    I definitely know what you mean. There are similarities between the characters. 
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Apparently absorbing a bunch of souls just makes you all big and electric blue, not a goddess. Who knew?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thunderscream

yeah, the ending was lame, but i loved most of the story AND the art. of course i paid more attention in Legacy where Psylocke faced off against Proteus with Magneto, Rogue, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Husk, Trance and Blindfold....there was alot of drama and it was written incredibly well.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_
    @Thunderscream said:
    " yeah, the ending was lame, but i loved most of the story AND the art. of course i paid more attention in Legacy where Psylocke faced off against Proteus with Magneto, Rogue, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Husk, Trance and Blindfold....there was alot of drama and it was written incredibly well. "
    That might have been my favorite part. 

@xerox-kitty said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @xerox-kitty: I have a love/hate relationship with Necrosha."
    I'm quite similar... but not so extreme (I don't 'hate' it ;) "
    I don't really hate the story as a whole...just the ending. 
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By papad1992
    @The Dark Huntress:

I second that hatred!!!!
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unicornpuncher

I really enjoyed the buildup for Necrosha, but the end was totally a let down.  Its like they spent all that time building it up then were in a rush to get to second coming or whatever crossover was next as they were coming to a close with it.  Like "okay wrap this crap up, we need to start pushing this next new even better story.  Dont worry about a good ending, we need to keep moving"

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By John Valentine

@Mercy_ said:

Not as good as any of them, IMO.

So true.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.