Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How do you feel about ANXM pace?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

How do you feel about ANXM pace of story?
    I think it is a little slow and the issues feel very short. An enjoyable read but It gives the feeling that it drags on.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@squalleon said:

I think it is a little slow and the issues feel very short. An enjoyable read but It gives the feeling that it drags on.

I agree with this summation overall, but I do think it's done a pretty good job of establishing the world that the X-men currently inhabit. Much of this introduction may seem redundant to long time readers, but I feel like this book is meant to be more of an introduction to newer readers; consider what we're introduced to in the first 13 issues:

• The original X-men characters, and their perspective on recent events,
    • several synopses of recent X-men events from House of M to Avengers Vs. X-Men,
    • some relevant X-men history, such as the Dark Phoenix saga, and the idea that Xavier had a history of mind-wiping people,
    • Cyclops' revolution and the team that he's building.
    • The X-men who currently run the school.
    • The school itself, and a few of the newer students like Quire and the Cuckoos,
    • The current Avengers, some of their history with the X-men, and how they connect to the rest of the MU, as well as some of the relevant characters that connect the teams, like Scarlet Witch, Havok, etc,
    • And several relevant villains from the X-men's history, both in characters who are still villains like Mystique's Brotherhood (with it's new Mastermind) or the Sentinels, as well as those who have somewhat reformed like Emma, Magneto, or the Scarlet Witch. In fact, virtually every classic villain is introduced in some capacity.

yeah, it takes 14 issues before the X-men finally face the Brotherhood and get anything done, but it does cover enough ground as a contemporary primer to the characters and themes to be worthwhile for newer readers. And, for someone like me who's read most of the stories already, well, the art's really good, and it still has a lot of neat little in-jokes and character interactions to keep it really fun.

I've actually stopped reading it, myself, but I would still recommend it to anyone who feels new to the characters.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By theTimeStreamer

it's fine.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like ANXM. It is one of my favorite X titles at the moment. I like the pace and the interaction between the Past and Present X-Men. It is a world the O5 did not expect.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

its too slow and this is coming from a person who bought every issue and graphic novel......:)

bendis evil plot to go slow on purpose so he can stretch out the stories that go no where

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#6  Edited By knighthood

The pace is a bit slow, but I like every issue... so no complaints here.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think the pace of All new as well as Uncanny are both slow. I do agree with the thought that if it's introducing new readers then being a slow and recapping is ok. That being said that's the excuse for All New... there is no excuse for Uncanny to be so slow. The last issue was the best because something actually happened and hopefully we get a continuation along that pace. But for the longest nothing really happened, I mean I'm still not so sure at this point that I even really know what the mutant revolution really is but maybe that's just me. IMO an example of good pace is Wood's books so far, though I hope to see whats up with Jubilee soon.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its slow but enjoyable

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By McKlayn

@squalleon said:

I agree with this summation overall, but I do think it's done a pretty good job of establishing the world that the X-men currently inhabit. Much of this introduction may seem redundant to long time readers, but I feel like this book is meant to be more of an introduction to newer readers; consider what we're introduced to in the first 13 issues:

• The original X-men characters, and their perspective on recent events,
    • several synopses of recent X-men events from House of M to Avengers Vs. X-Men,
    • some relevant X-men history, such as the Dark Phoenix saga, and the idea that Xavier had a history of mind-wiping people,
    • Cyclops' revolution and the team that he's building.
    • The X-men who currently run the school.
    • The school itself, and a few of the newer students like Quire and the Cuckoos,
    • The current Avengers, some of their history with the X-men, and how they connect to the rest of the MU, as well as some of the relevant characters that connect the teams, like Scarlet Witch, Havok, etc,
    • And several relevant villains from the X-men's history, both in characters who are still villains like Mystique's Brotherhood (with it's new Mastermind) or the Sentinels, as well as those who have somewhat reformed like Emma, Magneto, or the Scarlet Witch. In fact, virtually every classic villain is introduced in some capacity.

yeah, it takes 14 issues before the X-men finally face the Brotherhood and get anything done, but it does cover enough ground as a contemporary primer to the characters and themes to be worthwhile for newer readers. And, for someone like me who's read most of the stories already, well, the art's really good, and it still has a lot of neat little in-jokes and character interactions to keep it really fun.

I've actually stopped reading it, myself, but I would still recommend it to anyone who feels new to the characters.

it is slow, i totally agree with pretty much everything you said, quick question though why did you drop the title exactly? You were one of the bigger fans of it on the site

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@mcklayn: I actually dropped it due to the pace.

I'd been thinking about cutting back on my pull list anyway, in favor of waiting for the trades for certain titles (basically just to save some bucks in the long run); and I just felt like this is a book I would probably enjoy more in trade form.

I'd also like to point out that while I do champion the merits of this book, I generally try to acknowledge that it has more to offer new readers than it does to long-time fans. That's not to say I haven't been enjoying it, because I really have; but at this point I know it's a thing I'll come back and finish reading later, and there are other X-men books that I currently have a more immediate curiosity about.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: yea cutting back on a pull list is hard, ive had to do it lately thankfully i can afford about a dozen books at a time and that mostly covers my X titles, i have actually recently dropped WaTXM in favor of Superior Spiderman, and weaseled New Avengers into my pull list some how lol, i tried Fan Four but i just couldn't get interested

Just out of curiosity what is your pull list like?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I've been trying to keep my pull list within ten books. I know I'll end up trying new things all the time, so I try to keep it tight. Mostly I cut books when I get bored of them, but sometimes I cut my favorites. I just cut Daredevil after 27 really good issues, because I figured I knew I liked it enough to wait for the next trade, which would just make for a more pleasant read. Though, if it had been a less popular book, or one that I especially wanted to show my support for, I would have stuck with getting it issue to issue.

I think right now my pull-list includes Brain Wood's X-men, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, and Astonishing X-Men (until it wraps up in a few months), for X-men books, as well as Hawkeye(which is great),Uncanny Avengers(which really deserves more love), andNew Avengers (which should be called the Illuminati, but is really good all the same.

That's only 7 books at the moment, but that lets me justify getting whatever else strikes my fancy on slow weeks, or books that are part of crossovers or whatever. And I'm sure I'll probably end up giving both Amazing X-men and Mighty Avengers a try when they come out, so there's that sort of thing to consider too.

why, what are you reading right now?

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think ANXM is a throwback to classic Bendis. His style has always been heavy on character interaction with some action mixed in and ANXM does this better than most of his new stuff.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigtewell

@hawk2916: uncanny just seems slow since they are basocally starting from nothing. they have few characters a new location and no main bad guys for that team besides the avengers so they really have to establish some stuff. as for all new i like it and i have a feelijg the pace will start to pick up. i personally find young bobby hilarious especially when he saw himself making out with kitty.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McKlayn

@oldnightcrawler said:

@mcklayn: I've been trying to keep my pull list within ten books. I know I'll end up trying new things all the time, so I try to keep it tight. Mostly I cut books when I get bored of them, but sometimes I cut my favorites. I just cut Daredevil after 27 really good issues, because I figured I knew I liked it enough to wait for the next trade, which would just make for a more pleasant read. Though, if it had been a less popular book, or one that I especially wanted to show my support for, I would have stuck with getting it issue to issue.

I think right now my pull-list includes Brain Wood's X-men, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, and Astonishing X-Men (until it wraps up in a few months), for X-men books, as well as Hawkeye(which is great),Uncanny Avengers(which really deserves more love), andNew Avengers (which should be called the Illuminati, but is really good all the same.

That's only 7 books at the moment, but that lets me justify getting whatever else strikes my fancy on slow weeks, or books that are part of crossovers or whatever. And I'm sure I'll probably end up giving both Amazing X-men and Mighty Avengers a try when they come out, so there's that sort of thing to consider too.

why, what are you reading right now?

Well i kind of cheat, me and my best friend both have about 10-12 books on our pull list, and we share a Marvel account where we put all of our digital codes to read each others books lol so i read ALOT but my actual pull list atm is (also any 2 99 titles we just buy digitally so we can both read them)

X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All New X-Men, Cable & X -Force, Uncanny X -Force, Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Superior Spiderman, Astonishing X -Men (i plan to at least try amazing when this one cancels as well) and X -Men Legacy

My Friend buys atm (so i read these too lol) Avengers, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Gambit, Hulk, Thor, deadpool, Secret Avengers, Super Foes of Spiderman (new series its kind of fun lol), Iron Man, and Captain America

so yea ;D I dropped WaTXM & Fan Four recently he dropped Thunderbolts and Avengers Arena (he already picked up one replacement with Superior foes) I am trying to find a couple more worth reading i guess is why i asked, and just curious really you seem to share alot of views similar to me so i thought you might read something i dont lol i might check into it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.