Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How did you get into X-Men comics?

• 68 results
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By papad1992

Was it either by film, TV series, or did you just stumble upon it!?

My story was when I was little my family and I were going to Israel, we were waiting in the terminal and my dad told me to get something to read (because the flight is like 14 hours long) so I stumbled upon a rack full of X-Men comic books in one of the bookstores and I grabbed most of them (they were like a dollar a piece). They were: Uncanny X-Men #315-318, tie-ins to the Phalanx Covenant. I must have read those issues a hundreds times while I was in the air.

So let's here your story.

**My curiosity spans from wondering if any of the X-films, that have been made, had created an X-Men comic-book-fan.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@papad1992: My father bought me a copy of new mutants v1 #8, for doing well in school. To this day my favorite part was Dani in the black string bikini being saved by Sam and running into the Native tribe (which would eventually spawn a new teammate in Amara). From there I mainly enjoyed reading about the O5 in X-Factor number v1 #1 after seeing an issue of Avengers 263. (it wasn't till years later did I ever read FF 286). However I was hooked by Scott and Jean and their friends Hank, Bobby and Warren. Wherever they went I followed and rarely was there ever a story in X-Factor that I did not like. Louise Simonson is the unheralded peer of Claremont on every level. While they did not tell the same types of stories, both were key elements in my childhood to say the least. Neither failed to reel in my full attention, nor fail to satisfy the adventuresome spirit of me so long ago. Sadly I don't get much of that feeling from modern Marvel comics, its just too weighed down in its own continuity errors and/or inept / disrespectful writing. I mostly collect DC now, but I have always had a major soft spot for the merry mutants of marvel.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In about 6th or 7th grade my mother got me Ultimate x-men vol 1 and 2 for Christmas.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By comic_book_fan

the x-men cartoon I really liked it I wanted an action figure my mom said no so I got mad an ran into the store across from kb toys in my local mom which just happened to be a comic shop and the comic was much cheaper so I asked for it and she caved and bought them for me I bought the fatal attractions story that day.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: I first learned of the X-men in the early 90's, when I stumbled across this little gem in a local antique store:

No Caption Provided

That got me hooked on Marvel in general, but the X-men definitely appealed to me more than most of the characters. So after getting into Spider-man, I moved onto X-men Classics (since those were the X-men I recognized), and then into X-men and Uncanny X-men.. probably about '92, because the X-cutioner's Song was just getting over, and I was really confused.

No Caption Provided

Luckily, at that time it was still pretty easy to find the first issues of Claremont and Lee's X-men (1991), so by the time The Uncanny X-Men #300 - Legacies came out, I had it sorted well enough to read in both directions. From there, I was a fan for life.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the Credit goes to this guy

No Caption Provided
    Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here it is. Don`t know who bought it, probably my younger brother but it`s the first time that I read a X-Men (or X:en) comic

No Caption Provided

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By tupiaz

I saw the X-Man movie a couple of years before I started to get into comics. It was even after I saw Spider-man however I first started reading Spider-man when a saw an add in a Playstation magazine.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hel: Marvelklubben is old school, nice.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Veitha

It was quite random lol I had read a few Marvel comics before I started reading mutant comics because my cousin read them and sometimes he gave them to me(but it didn't happen very often). One day I was very bored and so my father told me "Hey, why don't you read a comic?" and he bought me an issue Uncanny X-Men, something related to the Dark Reign. I read it and then I started reading them steadily, and I also started reading older stories... then one day I read a Morrison comic and I fell in love with Emma Frost lol (but that's another story).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

An old rerun of this where the X-Men appear.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@hel: Marvelklubben is old school, nice.

Sure is ;)

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

It was quite random lol I had read a few Marvel comics before I started reading mutant comics because my cousin read them and sometimes he gave them to me(but it didn't happen very often). One day I was very bored and so my father told me "Hey, why don't you read a comic?" and he bought me an issue Uncanny X-Men, something related to the Dark Reign. I read it and then I started reading them steadily, and I also started reading older stories... then one day I read a Morrison comic and I fell in love with Emma Frost lol (but that's another story).

So you are a pretty recent discovery. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was aware of the X-Men during their 90s heyday, but it wasn't until X2 came out in 2003 that I really got into their world.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

Yeah hahaha but it's like I've read X-Men comics for ages lol

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@papad1992 said:

Just like me... my first comic(s) were from the crossover Phalanx Covenant and I felt a little confused but intrigued, so I proceeded forward but also back tracked and now I feel like I've been reading the X-Men since day one!

mr_gone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mr_gone

the 90's cartoon for sure, but the books that started my collection were the first issues of cable's x-force. still love those stories. i'll always have a a soft spot for that team

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@papad1992 said:

Just like me... my first comic(s) were from the crossover Phalanx Covenant and I felt a little confused but intrigued, so I proceeded forward but also back tracked and now I feel like I've been reading the X-Men since day one!

Yeah, at first I didn't understand much (there were too many characters lol) but when I started reading older comics I was more and more interesting to know the X-Universe better

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@papad1992 said:

@veitha said:

Yeah, at first I didn't understand much (there were too many characters lol) but when I started reading older comics I was more and more interesting to know the X-Universe better

Agreed... I think that is mainly the base of most everyone's story!

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_gone said:

the 90's cartoon for sure, but the books that started my collection were the first issues of cable's x-force. still love those stories. i'll always have a a soft spot for that team

I think most would credit the 90's cartoon..............I used to watch it when I was a kid but mainly for wolverine. I didn't start reading X-men comics until maybe 3-4 years ago before that it was always Wolverine solo titles. I eventually said hey might as well read X-men since a lot of Wolverine development happened with those titles and I've been an X-head since.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Spider-man and his Amazing Freinds got me interested in learning more about the Xmen so I can honestly say Iceman was my first favorite xman

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kidchipotle

Started reading X-Men at the start of Schism, but I've followed X-Men for years before that and watched the TV series'. But lately I've been catching up on most of the X-Titles starting from late 90's.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1990 Marvel Universe card set. I latched onto the X-characters more than any of the other Marvel U characters.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#25  Edited By time1

My brother got me into comics.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
    NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First the 90s cartoon, then the movies, wasn't until I picked up Claremont's work that I fell in love with reading them. (the scale of the Dark Phoenix Saga just blew my mind and kickstarted my love for comics)

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@papad1992: That's great! You had them all to yourself! How many times did you read over them? Do you still have them? I remember when they sold those everywhere.

For me it was Jim Lee and Chris Claremont. I was kinda avoiding costume characters but I could not escape the pull of Jim Lee's X-Men relaunch! The art was so amazing! Jim Lee is such a master! All his poses seemed perfect! All the panels were so full of action and each character was a god or goddess! You had no choice but to stare in awe! Then reading it Claremont was able to infuse enough character into all the heros that I was so hooked! Right away you could tell Cyclops was a square, Wolverine was a BAMF and Gambit was gonna be a cool jerk that you hated!

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bigtewell

when i was a little little kid it was holloween and i saw a wolverine costume and thought it was the coolest thing ever and i became an xmen fanatic. now 16 years later im a cyclops fanatic but wolvie still has a special place in my heart

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine/X-men were my gateway to Marvel U period

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I think i told this story once before but i picked them up from the local Piggly Wiggly (yes thats a real store lol) because i loved to draw and i bought a shit ton of various ones (x men, batman, spiderman ect) and never read the shit just drew from them, the stories all confused me when i tried to read them and made little to know since that was until...! (i was like 10 atm btw)

Professor Xavier and the X men NUMBER!!!

No Caption Provided

It was cheap, and started from the very scratch so not as confusing for a young and new reader, i got like the first (14?) issues of these and then started picking up regular X men titles just in time for the Phalanx Covenant, at that time and i got Every Issue of Generation X ;D

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tohoma

This

Loading Video...

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll always love that story. I remember being really into Joe Mad's cover's from X-men Classic, and always wishing that he was the regular X-men artist (yes, instead of Kubert and JRJr., I know, I was a Philistine), and then he was! but, I still think the Phalanx Covenant was my favorite of all of his work. It had that awesome prelude with Gambit, Storm, and Yukio; that was the best.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And it introduced most of Gen'X. And it was kind of the first time we see Emma as a hero. Definitely a high water mark for 90's era X-men.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arinya said:

@papad1992: That's great! You had them all to yourself! How many times did you read over them? Do you still have them? I remember when they sold those everywhere.

For me it was Jim Lee and Chris Claremont. I was kinda avoiding costume characters but I could not escape the pull of Jim Lee's X-Men relaunch! The art was so amazing! Jim Lee is such a master! All his poses seemed perfect! All the panels were so full of action and each character was a god or goddess! You had no choice but to stare in awe! Then reading it Claremont was able to infuse enough character into all the heros that I was so hooked! Right away you could tell Cyclops was a square, Wolverine was a BAMF and Gambit was gonna be a cool jerk that you hated!

I read them on the plane ride to Israel at least 50 times! And then when I got to Israel, they were my most treasured items. When I moved to Israel... they really weren't any X-Men comics available (I mainly researched on the internet, and pieced events and characters together), so I had to wait till I moved back to the states to really get involved!

And when I think of X-Men, Jim Lee and Chris Claremont are what pop into my mind immediately! I feel like they revolutionized the X-Men.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

I'll always love that story. I remember being really into Joe Mad's cover's from X-men Classic, and always wishing that he was the regular X-men artist (yes, instead of Kubert and JRJr., I know, I was a Philistine), and then he was! but, I still think the Phalanx Covenant was my favorite of all of his work. It had that awesome prelude with Gambit, Storm, and Yukio; that was the best.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And it introduced most of Gen'X. And it was kind of the first time we see Emma as a hero. Definitely a high water mark for 90's era X-men.

It's one of my favorites... probably the reason why I love Generation X and its characters: M, Husk, Chamber, and Jubilee!

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@tohoma said:

This

Loading Video...

This is also classic X-Men for me. Although my first comics were a mixture of Claremont's penultimate X-Treme arc and Morrison's HCT. I was so blessed.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polarity said:

1990 Marvel Universe card set. I latched onto the X-characters more than any of the other Marvel U characters.

So the trading cards got you interested in the comics!? That's pretty unique.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: I guess so, I'd assume for most it would have been the opposite. I can't remember how long it took me to get a comic store, but it was pretty soon after buying a couple of packs. It was definitely my gateway drug.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Actually those X-Men and Marvel Universe cards were big business back then. Having the entire Jim Lee set back then was a gold mine...

Avatar image for uncannyoutsiders
    UncannyOutsiders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine!

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chasereis: I know... I have a few myself

@polarity said:

@papad1992: I guess so, I'd assume for most it would have been the opposite. I can't remember how long it took me to get a comic store, but it was pretty soon after buying a couple of packs. It was definitely my gateway drug.

Either way... that is a unique starting point.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tomchu

I think I probably win the "most recent" award. A few years ago, I had just moved to England at that point and booked into an all boys boarding school in the middle of nowhere. So having no friends, I was quite lonely. I stumbled across somewhere that Uncanny X-Men was ending, and seeing that Ive been wiki reading a ton of superheroes, I might as well try out comics. I pestered a friend to go onto amazon and buy me Uncanny X-Men #544.

No Caption Provided

And since I heard about the franchise being rebooted instead of being cancelled completely, I bought Wolverine and the X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #1. A ton of Marvel Essential reading, back issue buying and selling, and I guess here's I am now. X-Men became my gateway drug to comic books I guess, and since then, have read a lot of stories which I consider my favourite, like Y The Last Man, Daredevil (Bendis, Waid and Miller) and Sandman (the holy grail of my collection. Bought all 75 from some guy for surprisingly cheap). Then again, X-Men hold a special place in my heart, and dedicate myself to buying All New X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men (the main flagship books IMO) regardless how weird it is. Also got my friend into comics after he got me UXM 544 hahaha.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#42  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
    No Caption Provided

XMEN EVOLUTION! I LOVED THIS CARTOON!

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No Caption Provided

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

XMEN EVOLUTION! I LOVED THIS CARTOON!

I loved that cartoon too... but I love the original series more.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Actually those X-Men and Marvel Universe cards were big business back then. Having the entire Jim Lee set back then was a gold mine...

Really? I had the whole set!

It was one of my most prized possessions, just having a well colored Jim Lee picture of every character was what I loved. Didn't realize they were worth anything. I gave them to my social worker's kid when I went to university.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Through the movies.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yea back in the day the Jim Lee and Hildebrant sets were solid cashola. Card market fell to shit and then poof, no value.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By HAWK2916

My Granddad was in the military and so he had a whole bunch of 1st edition comics. He was also big into Star Trek and the old Batman series and I used to watch it with him all the time and then my cousins and I would act out missions. He eventually told me that if I really like Star Trek and Batman I'd love the comic books. Most of his had been ruined while moving from overseas but what was left I read and then he took me to the PX and bought me Iron Man, Spiderman, Xmen and Batman like 50 dollars worth of them (all were a 1.00 at the time). I've been into them ever since

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A kid on the bus handed me this. It was the greatest thing I ever read.

No Caption Provided

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My mom got me a Wolverine comic when I was sick and home from school one day. Then the cartoon came out and BOOM!!! I was hooked!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.