Has x-men writers lost there edge?

#1 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Factor, X-Force and X-Men: Legacy are all good.

Astonishing and Uncanny X-Men are decent.
New Exiles is a bit dull.
Cable is pretty uneventful but not bad. Young X-Men is awful
#3 Posted by G-Man (32708 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really blame the writers if the the artists draw the characters staring out into nothingness.  Since art plays a big role in selling the books, I'm sure the directive is being given to make the characters look as pretty as possible.  I agree that it seems a bit odd.  Maybe there's just too many characters running around and they're looking/hoping for something to do.

Staff Online
#4 Posted by fesak (7052 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with some points. Brubaker's for example is not very good compared to his other stuff, the worst offender being Wolverine doesn't know Magneto's powers in #500 despite having fought him... what? 50 times?

Exiles is at an all-time low both on quality and sales. Last issue slipped under 24.000. Before Claremont the sales were steady at the 32-35K mark.
Claremont has really seen better days, and at this rate they either have to cancel it or bring in a new writer and bring back the old cast.

#5 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

too right mate what woul you like to see in x-men moderator

#6 Posted by fesak (7052 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question, i don't know really.
I feel like everything's been done so maybe some really unexpected stuff like making someone of the X-Men a villain.
I don't think they've done that story without it involving brain-washing or mind control. Also there's plenty of villains that has become heroes, but none the other way around.
Emma would be the obvious choice, so that's would not be unexpected, so i would pick Rogue. She would be really deadly as a bad guy.

#7 Posted by inferiorego (23212 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"I agree with some points. Brubaker's for example is not very good compared to his other stuff, the worst offender being Wolverine doesn't know Magneto's powers in #500 despite having fought him... what? 50 times?

Exiles is at an all-time low both on quality and sales. Last issue slipped under 24.000. Before Claremont the sales were steady at the 32-35K mark.
Claremont has really seen better days, and at this rate they either have to cancel it or bring in a new writer and bring back the old cast."
Before Claremont, the book was the best thing in Marvel. We used to sell 60 copies a month at least (which in no way was the highest selling Marvel book, just the best read)... Now, we sell maybe 20... if we're lucky
Staff
#8 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like see  to x-men the way they were when you had few female leads like jean, psylocke and rogue and gambit more in x-men comics. there should be only two x-men comics for 2 teams and maybe other one to address big storyarcs or crossovers and more villains.

#9 Edited by Jaadu (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my opinion of the current x-titles

LOVING: X-factor and X-force: These current series are probably the best of the x-titles out their right now! it's actually interesting, good art, and the storyline is JUST good.

OKAY: Astonishing X-men, Ultimate X-men, and X-men Legacy are good, but not as great as they were before (except ultimate x-men is getting a little better)

NOT liking: OKAY UNCANNY X-MEN, YOUNG X-MEN, and NEW EXILES are just not as good as what they were before. Uncanny x-men is my favorite series (I've read almost all the uncanny x-men issues) and like what it was before is definitely NOT  what it is now. Don't get me wrong, the art is lovely and the storyline isn't bad, but what it was before was A LLLLLLOTTT better than what it was now.
Young X-men at first seemed like it would be pretty cool, with the new mutants and dust being in it, but the writers are just making the plot sooooo pointless and just not fun to read, New X-men should've stayed as what it was before and not been cancelled for this series!
New Exiles, hmmmmmmm it's just not my style of reading, and having Psylocke is just pissing me off, she needs to go back to the mainstream X-men titles! And i loved the old exiles, with Blink and all!

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men is fine....

#11 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

how is x-men fine explain

#12 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no doubt about it. Ya say X-Men writers are living in the past?! I'm living in the past for X-Men writers. I long for the old Claremont days that I will probably never see again. I'll freely admit that Claremont has lost his edge.

I miss the days when I could read stories with multiple plots that run through the main story lines. Some of my most memorable comics are Uncanny issues 200 through 300 are probably my best example. These days you have writers that focus on one plot and that's it. They don't leave me with any suspense at all. It's only my guess but I think the reason is one of two things. Ether today's writers feel that we as readers wouldn't be able to comprehend that kind of story telling these days or they ain't smart enough to write em'.

#13 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

you know what i missed the most from early years, one the blue team and not every comics was based on the main characters, like today, then  you have other indiviual storyries with different characters.  

#14 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I've said before in another post that I think when they started X-Men and introduced the blue and gold teams that where featured in each book they where on to something. I was hoping when they started the Astonishing title that was the route they where going again but it didn't last. It's easy to see that the writers have their favorite characters and will never give the lesser known ones a shot.

#15 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

your right mate

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
time said:
"how is x-men fine explain"
Because the storylines are still good and Marvel is still rich....
#17 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"time said:
Because the storylines are still good and Marvel is still rich...."
Your right, some of the stories are still good but I just think they could be so much better.
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Vance Astro said:
"time said:
Your right, some of the stories are still good but I just think they could be so much better."
X-men was created before I was born...I am 22.Don't you think it's possible that they are running out of ideas.There is only so much you can do with one concept.
#19 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"ahumancartoon said:
"Vance Astro said:
"time said:
Your right, some of the stories are still good but I just think they could be so much better."
X-men was created before I was born...I am 22.Don't you think it's possible that they are running out of ideas.There is only so much you can do with one concept."
I don't feel that's the case. I think they don't have any passion for it.
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Vance Astro said:
"ahumancartoon said:
"Vance Astro said:
"time said:
X-men was created before I was born...I am 22.Don't you think it's possible that they are running out of ideas.There is only so much you can do with one concept."
I don't feel that's the case. I think they don't have any passion for it."
There is no way that is true.It's possible maybe one writer doesn't have the passion for it but as for all people writing for X-books not having the passion.I don't believe it.I don't see what's happening in X-men that is so bad that it makes the writers seem like they have given up.
#21 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it just seems like all the stories are simplified and catered to attract new readers, with is all fine and good. but nowadays a comic reads like your watching a movie these days. One thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is that they have taken editorial notes out of the panels when a past reference is brought up. I'm sayin' if they really cared for about the characters and they history they would put more of an effort in it. I'm 34 and I remember picking up my first comic Uncanny X-Men Annual 4. I didn't know the characters for nothin' but that didn't stop me from enjoying it and they was a lot of stuff going on in that issue. That's the kind of stories I'm talking about though. Quite babying everybody by dumbing down the plots to attract new readers and start treating us like adults and worry more about history and continuity.

#22 Posted by Queen Kong (1603 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men=win

#23 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker just needs to go. He may be great on single character, street level titles, but he can't write the X-Men. His characterization sucks, his dialog is silted, his storylines are meandering and pointless and he can't choreograph a team fight to save his life.

He may be a good writer elsewhere, but he was the wrong guy for the X-Men. It's time to just see what Fraction can do on his own.

Assuming that is, Fraction can get over his 13-year-old-boy-like obsession with sex.

#24 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Well it just seems like all the stories are simplified and catered to attract new readers, with is all fine and good. but nowadays a comic reads like your watching a movie these days. One thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is that they have taken editorial notes out of the panels when a past reference is brought up. I'm sayin' if they really cared for about the characters and they history they would put more of an effort in it. I'm 34 and I remember picking up my first comic Uncanny X-Men Annual 4. I didn't know the characters for nothin' but that didn't stop me from enjoying it and they was a lot of stuff going on in that issue. That's the kind of stories I'm talking about though. Quite babying everybody by dumbing down the plots to attract new readers and start treating us like adults and worry more about history and continuity."

I second that.
#25 Posted by Greystone (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, Ahumancartoon is right on the money with that.

#26 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Scrap Cable and Young X-Men, whilst removing Brubaker from Uncanny leaving Bribaker alone.

Mike Carey and Peter David are excellent, as are Kyle and Yost ,except they should be put on a New X-Men type book, as well as X-Force.

#27 Edited by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I loved Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, but almost everything since has been getting progressively worse in my opinion. If the current creative team is kept on Uncanny much longer I'm going to drop it like I did New Exiles (the Exiles aren't the Exiles without Blink.)

#28 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"Hmmm, I loved Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, but almost everything since has been getting progressively worse in my opinion. If the current creative team is kept on Uncanny much longer I'm going to drop it like I did New Exiles (the Exiles aren't the Exiles without Blink.)"

I liked Rise and Fall and I thought that Deadly Genesis was great too.(I liked Brubaker's work on that).
If you thought that Rise and Fall was good, you should try X-Men: Emperor Vulcan.
#29 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Slinger said:
"Hmmm, I loved Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, but almost everything since has been getting progressively worse in my opinion. If the current creative team is kept on Uncanny much longer I'm going to drop it like I did New Exiles (the Exiles aren't the Exiles without Blink.)"

I liked Rise and Fall and I thought that Deadly Genesis was great too.(I liked Brubaker's work on that).
If you thought that Rise and Fall was good, you should try X-Men: Emperor Vulcan."
I read that too and was disappointed, I'm not sure why that one didn't click for me. I liked the idea in Rise and Fall, about the "renegade" X-Men being on a path to redemption, the second time around it didn't feel like they were still that "rag-tag" group fighting insurmountable odds. Honestly I've never given X-Factor a good look, but may soon be switching to it from Uncanny on my pull list. Deadly Genesis was just okay for me.

I think that one of my own personal problems with the X-Men is that they seem so cut off from the rest of the Marvel U. It just seems like everything is happening and they're off in their own world where no other teams or heroes exist.
#30 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

The seclusion is what I like about the X-Men: it's in it's own little area so that it's not affected by the big events so much, but at the same time it still plays a role. The X-Universe is also large enough to have self-contained events (a la Messiah Complex), which I though was great.

I would buy X-Factor, even if the art is a let-down at the moment, as the story will make up for that. I'd also get X-Force and X-Men: Legacy.
In my opinion, Astonishing is a decent book but it's not as good as teh previous three and in my opinion Uncanny is mediocre.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.