Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Has 2013 been a good year for X-Men comics.

• 66 results
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Edited By time1

Poll Has 2013 been a good year for X-Men comics. (40 votes)

Yes 28%
    No 28%
    It's ok, could of been better. 45%

So what your overview for X-Men comics 2013. Has it been a good year or not.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't think so.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Slow pace for comics like uncanny x-men and all-new x-men but fast pace for awful comics like x-men legacy. Although Amazing x-men and X-Men is at a regular pace and its good. 2013 is a bad luck year(BotA) so I'm glad its over. Although i like 2012 better then 2013.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By time1
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they could've done more. Like was said before, a lot of the books move way to slow or are just so far away from each other that you don't care. Astonishing had a big arc with Iceman that had no effect on anything because the book ended and All New X-Men and Uncanny feel like a week has passed.

For the first year off Utopia and back at the Mansion(mostly) things were kinda slow.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: I figure u would like 2013, with teen Jean being around.

Thats the only thing good that came from 2013, totally forgot about that, lol :) Although i hate the slow pace of all-new x-men, it took so long to throw mystique in jail and then she escaped.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By time1
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Everything from Michael Bendis was slow pace. I like some of the things he did though.

You know what's weird is that i dont think the GotG is slow pace, i bought one book where it was about Angela's story and it was pretty fast pace to me. I think it was GotG 5 or 6. Ironman and Starlord's witty banter. Although Starlord's personallity reminds me of Peter Parker except of course Peter is better.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By time1

@hopesummersforthefuture: Well I guess Bendis addresses the teams differently. I only red 2 issues of Guardians of the Galaxy, so I can't really judge the series. Looking back at All new X-Men comics, it deosn't seem like much has happened. If you pick up a issue, there a lot to enjoy from a single issue. I think it's very slow pace, cause Jean the focus. I don't think Bendis wants to rush her character.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

No. We get Bendis and Aaron continued to pollute WATX. Then we got BOTA. It's been one of the worst by far. Ugh. Goodness me. The retribution needs to be over.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: I think Bendis will be with the X-Men for a while now. At least Jason Aaron has left Wolverine and the X-Men.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@ageofhurricane: I think Bendis will be with the X-Men for a while now. At least Jason Aaron has left Wolverine and the X-Men.

He gon' be here for years.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: Probley. I like him more than Matt Fraction, Kieran Gillian and Jason Aaron. They were the worst.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looking back on the year now, nothing's really stood out that much.

The first three issues of Wood's X-Men Vol.4 were fantastic, but then we had that mediocre Jubilee issue. Also, BOTA really ruined the flow.

Cornell's Wolverine is getting good now.

Okay-poor on the whole.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

@john_valentine: I like that Jubilee and Wolverine issue. It was good.

I don't like Jubilee. I especially don't like this silly baby adoption thing.

This issue was just such a drastic change from the first few issues and not in a good way. The art really didn't hold up, either. I feel as though there are other things Wood should be doing than showing us that Wolverine's bought Jubilee a house.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@john_valentine: I like that Jubilee and Wolverine issue. It was good.

It was the best of the series. Narrative syntax and story quality went out of whack as soon as BOTA came along.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: I'm a big fan of Jubilee and Wolverine friendship.I thought it was nice that Logan wanted to buy her a house. I thought the final chapter of the first story of Brian Wood X-Men was poor. The first 2 issues were good.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

He gon' be here for years.

Shudders. Wont someone please think of the readers, lol. We need better writers when will whedon or morrison be back???

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I don't want Morrison back. He just destroy another character. I would like Kyle and Yost to work on another X-Men title.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: I didn't mind the Battle of atom chapters done by Brian Wood.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: I don't want Morrison back. He just destroy another character. I would like Kyle and Yost to work on another X-Men title.

Look at the bright side maybe he would destory emma's charcter next(evil grin). Also i felt he left new x-men in the middle of things, he should finnish what he started.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: He not going destroy Emma character, he loves her too much. What do you mean finished what he started.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: He not going destroy Emma character, he loves her too much. What do you mean finished what he started.

idk i just think he left really, really fast.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

No, it was NOT a good year for the X-Men. I VERY MUCH prefer the writers that the X-Verse had prior to Fraction, Gillen, and Bendis. They seemed to know the characters a lot better, knew their X-History, and told much better stories.

I have mixed feelings on Aaron. BotA was absolutely HORRIBLE and WatX was pretty weak-sauce for me, but I do like what he has done with Amazing (outside of he PIS) so far. Humphries run on UXF was pretty disappointing (only started getting good as his run was about to end so that was a waste), Wood's X-Men has been good but has been moving quite slowly (thanks to the BotA tie-in and then we lost Rogue :-(...), and I am hoping we get an actual team/family feel and some action vs the constant and so far unnecessary infighting.

On a scale of 1 -10 I'd give the X-Men's 2013 a 3 to 3.5.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By PeppeyHare

I think it was. All new,uncanny,adjective less, and amazing are great. WATXM was ok as well. I didn't think BOTA was great, but I don't hate it like everyone else here seems to.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

I think it was. All new,uncanny,adjective less, and amazing are great. WATXM was ok as well. I didn't think BOTA was great, but I don't hate it like everyone else here seems to.

BotA was a good event but not good enough for the 50th anniversary of x-men celebration, it was a real let down. The only thing that came out of it was kitty and the o5 leaving to join scott's team. Also if scott doesnt clean up his act then he will lose everything

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@hopesummersforthefuture: Scott's team> Wolverine's team

I agree that BOTA was a let down, I just don't think it deserves all the hate it gets.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phisigmatau

definetly not

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By poisonfleur

Yes. I'm happy. All the X-titles are awesome. Except Uncanny Avengers and X-men Legacy suck imo.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No 2013 was not a good year at all. I've actually gone back and re-read in my collection just to get thru because most of the writing has been slow and ridiculous.

The only good thing has been Uncanny Avengers!!!

Bendis and Aaron are terrible. WATX ws stupid. Bendis' premise for All New Xmen was something I couldn't believe the editors and powers-that-be at Marvel let go. Its just ridiculous and has made my all-tie favorite superheroes a big joke. I cant understand why Marvel doesn't even consider the fans.

I want Kyle and Yost back. Also Mike Carey. These should be he Xmen writers along with PAD, Wood and give Remender something besides Uncanny Avengers. The stories there should have been in the X-books not Avengers.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

Kyle and Yost would most probably destroy, quite literally, another character if they were given another shot at the X-Men. It's their stock-in-trade to provide pathos through constant character cessation. See NXM bus-load of students go boom.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

Kyle and Yost would most probably destroy, quite literally, another character if they were given another shot at the X-Men. It's their stock-in-trade to provide pathos through constant character cessation. See NXM bus-load of students go boom.

Did anyone care about those characters on the bus, though?

Tag is like the only character people could have actually cared about.

Avatar image for ace_of_spades90
    Ace_Of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to go ahead and say that I despise All New X-Men. I don't like Bendis' writing. And the characters grate on my nerves a bit. I understand that they are young and naive, but it's just too much for me at times.

Uncanny X-Men isn't that much better, as it is also incredibly slow-paced (has anything even happened?) and Bendis also happens to be the writer for this book...

Brian Wood's adjectiveless X-Men is probably one of the few good X books right now. Jubilee is relevant again! Writing is fantastic and the art is gorgeous. I just hate the fact that battle of the atom destroyed the pacing after issue 4.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also can we get rid of that ridiculous baby Shogo. I mean is Jubilee really on the Xmen or is she just a babysitter? She's done nothing on the team but run around with the baby. Brian Wood's book would be fine if not for this. And really the John Sublime and Arkea stuff is ridiculous as well. He's supposed to be bacteria? really? Why mess up stories with these stupid developments. I know Wood didn't invent the character but some of this stuff gets beyond stupid

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@hawk2916 said:

Also can we get rid of that ridiculous baby Shogo. I mean is Jubilee really on the Xmen or is she just a babysitter? She's done nothing on the team but run around with the baby. Brian Wood's book would be fine if not for this. And really the John Sublime and Arkea stuff is ridiculous as well. He's supposed to be bacteria? really? Why mess up stories with these stupid developments. I know Wood didn't invent the character but some of this stuff gets beyond stupid

Buuuuuuuh!

B'sides, it's not like you could have come up with a cool way to re-stamp Jubilee's footing in the franchise for the long run after an illogically advised hiatus whilst she was severely lacking in the relevance department. Shogo and motherhood are the two best things to happen to the character, imo. We want progression, not stagnation and reveling within the same old tropes.

Plus, Sublime's always been bacteria :S

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@john_valentine said:

@ageofhurricane said:

@time said:

Only character you could have care about. That bus was ripe-full of potential fan-favorites had they been given the chance. No such thing as a bad character (in some cases), only bad writers. No one really cared about Pixie prior to the bus incident yet she got a free pass and after Fraction got a hold of her, it went downhill for the character.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HAWK2916

@ageofhurricane:

Yeah.... again i already acknowledged that about Sublime and the point I was making is that it was a stupid idea from the beginning and revisiting it is not a great one either.

As far as Shogo, its cool for her to be a mother and all, but do we really need to see him on her back in every scene. I mean is she an Xman or just there for moral support. I get it, she's a mother now but when he's in a car seat while the team is on a mission and in every scene he's there, i dont call that character development. It's just plain silly

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HAWK2916

There is a such thing as a bad character. Not every idea these writers come up with is great.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@ageofhurricane:

Yeah.... again i already acknowledged that about Sublime and the point I was making is that it was a stupid idea from the beginning and revisiting it is not a great one either.

Morrison's run was/is overflowing with lustrous gems for the X-Mythos, it's only natural that another writer wanting to cement their presence within X-Lore plucks something that was well-received in the past--for the present. Least it's not generic.

Ace_Of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ace_Of_Spades90

When I first heard that Jubilee was going to be paired with a baby I was apprehensive, thinking that it was going to be lame. Now, I love the concept and I feel like it actually gives Jubilee purpose for once!

But, like Hawk, I, too, feel like it would be nice to see Jubilee without the baby every once in a while.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By John Valentine

@ageofhurricane said:

@john_valentine said:

@ageofhurricane said:

@time said:

Only character you could have care about. That bus was ripe-full of potential fan-favorites had they been given the chance. No such thing as a bad character (in some cases), only bad writers No one really cared about Pixie prior to the bus incident yet she got a free pass and after Fraction got a hold of her, it went downhill for the character.

No, I didn't really care for Tag when he was alive, in all honesty.

Most of the characters on the bus were just power sets with background appearances. You're complaining that Kyle/Yost offed them because, what, someone may have given one of them the Pixie treatment? Highly unlikely. I think the grief/guilt felt by the already established characters and their subsequent development through 25+ issues of New X-Men was good enough to warrant this "constant character cessation".

But I'm sorry if anyone really liked DJ or Rubbermaid, they have my condolences.

With regard to Wallflower and Icarus, who are more relevant mutants to be looking at; yes, it sucks that they died as I'm sure they were people's favourites, but at least Aaron didn't get to write them (and their deaths served as major turning points for other characters in a great, great arc)?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2013 was a pretty bad year for the X-men, it just feels like nothing happened and as everyone has pointed out the event was a joke, even worse when it was the 50th anniversary.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2013 was a pretty bad year for the X-men, it just feels like nothing happened and as everyone has pointed out the event was a joke, even worse when it was the 50th anniversary.

Too true.

Ace_Of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Pixy, I thought she was an X-Men? Was she demoted or something? In Brian Wood's X-Men, she is apparently a student again.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Pixy, I thought she was an X-Men? Was she demoted or something? In Brian Wood's X-Men, she is apparently a student again.

I don't think she's really been an X-Man since Schism, or even Second Coming? She's kind of pointless when Illyana's around. She was on Gen Hope prior to AvX and since then I think she just moved to the JGSHL with the Lights.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MarcosVergara14

This year sucked for the Xmen we only got Bttle of the Atom and it was not good for a 50th anniversary.

WATXM sucked so bad the story was pretty boring to read. Uncanny Xmen was good but not great. All New Xmen the same the writing was basically DOFP but with past Xmen. At least it was good to see the O5 before the Xmen where divided and plitical crap where included to the plot.

The only thing that changed was Kitty joining Scott´s team.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I get that there were a few bad stories in the past year, Battle of the Atom ended up being a real stinker, a few of the books were not great overall, etc.. but I think there were a lot of decent stories this year.

I mean, with the exception of BotA, I've enjoyed every issue of Wood's X-Menand Bendis' Uncanny X-Men. I know a lot of people don't like Bendis' style, but I really like the direction he's taken Uncanny' in; it really feels different.

and, though I've mostly lost interest in it since the x-over, I did have a lot of fun reading the first 15 issues of All-New X-Men. Speaking of which, did anyone read The Arms of The Octopus 3 -issue crossover? Because it was really good.

Astonishing X-Men was pretty hit or miss overall, but that 4-issue Iceman arc (Astonishing X-Men #62-65) was great. oh, and the first two issues of Nightcrawler's return in Amazing X-Men were just wonderful.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but even that's more than 40 good, new X-men comics I read this year.

That seems like a good year to me.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The titles are increasingly starting to seem like fanfiction for me. Bad fanfiction, written by someone who watches "Twilight", "True Blood", and too many '80s era cartoons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.