Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Greg Pak On Astonishing X-Men

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AgeofHurricane

So bloody glad that Storm's rocking the mohawk again.

Following X-Men: Schism, essentially every series in Marvel's slate of X-books have taken sides in the "Regenesis" era, with each book depicting either Cyclops or Wolverine's portion of the mutant world.

Astonishing X-Men — which, though always in Marvel Universe continuity, has traditionally operated a couple of degrees separate from the day-to-day events of the other titles — is the exception, and following a one-issue stint by writer James Asmus (who talks to us about his story here), long-time Incredible Hulk writer Greg Pak joins the series as of November's issue #44, with artist Mike McKone, recently of Fear Itself: Spider-Man and Spider-Island: Avengers, in tow.

So, what can readers expect from Astonishing X-Men going forward? Newsarama talked via email with Pak about his plans for the book, which has already caught attention due to the rather provocative cover of issue #44, showing Cyclops (in a long-term relationship with Emma Frost) kissing Storm (who is married to Black Panther). Plus, peruse a few pages of fresh interior pages from Mike McKone, courtesy of Marvel.

Newsarama: Greg, you're clearly an X-Men fan, and have written X-characters before in books like Phoenix Endsong/Warsong and Magneto: Testament, but this is definitely your biggest X-Men "proper" story yet. How does it feel to be writing not only one of the main X-titles for the first time, but one with the history of being a "showcase" book like Astonishing X-Men?

Greg Pak: When I first started working at Marvel seven years ago, Astonishing X-Men was my favorite book and my fantasy dream gig. I was writing X-Men: Phoenix – Endsong at the time, and was hugely inspired by the voices that Joss Whedon had developed for so many key characters.

I've had a blast following the book ever since — I was particularly happy when Warren Ellis brought Storm on board. Now it's a thrill to run with the title with Storm and Cyclops in key roles and with the brilliant Mike McKone on pencils. Mike's bringing that special magic that the title's so well known for — clean lines, gorgeous textures, phenomenal action, and beautiful little character moments.

Nrama: You've mentioned a couple of times now when discussing Astonishing X-Men, the X-characters' capacity to make a grown man cry. So, which X-Men stories have moved you the most over the years?

Pak: Most recently? Kitty Pryde's rescue and the Kitty and Colossus reunion, natch. I knew it was coming and I still choked up. Well played, X-creators!

Nrama: Looks like the focus of this story is on Cyclops and Storm. What led you to that pairing of lead characters? Seems like even though they've been pillars of the X-Men for decades (and on the same side post-Schism), there still seems to be a lot of potential to explore in their dynamic.

Pak: As two of the small number of heroes who have served as leaders of the X-Men, Storm and Cyclops have huge grounds for bonding over shared experiences. But they also have a great, contentious history together, highlighted by the classic Claremont story of their fight for the leadership of the team. But as far as I know, there hasn't been much done to explore any potential romantic tension between the two. That's one of the glories of the X-Men, actually. The cast is so big and diverse and interesting that there's always another juicy story to explore.

Nrama: Speaking of Schism — how does your story work given the dynamics of the current "Regenesis" status quo? Essentially every other X-book other than Astonishing is taking sides, and though obviously this story features Cyclops and Storm, there are going to be folks on Wolverine's side too, correct? (Including, it seems, Wolverine?)

Pak: The strange and wonderful quirks of the story we're telling means that Astonishing may be the only book on the stands where you can see characters from both sides of the split on the same pages. We're also absolutely exploring the emotional fallout of Schism on Cyclops in particular.

Nrama: Now that the arc's first issue is about a month away, what can you share about what the X-Men are facing in your story? Based on the solicitation for December's #45, it looks like it involves altered versions of the X-Men — including Wolverine with a mustache and Kid Nightcrawler.

Pak: Mysterious, isn't it? I don't want to spoil too much plotwise — there are two or three big surprises in issue #44. But I can say that during the course of this story, Cyclops will face fundamental questions about what it is to be a hero and a leader. It remains to be seen whether those two roles might someday come into conflict...

Nrama: Obviously the kiss on the cover of #44 is intriguing, but so is something else — Storm's haircut. Is that a fake-out, flashback, metaphor of some kind, or is she indeed returning to the mohawk?

Pak: Well, we've seen Storm with a mohawk before in Warren Ellis's Astonishing run, so there's a precedent.

Nrama: You're joined on the series by artist Mike McKone, the first time the two of you have worked together. You're a bit into it now — how has working with him been thus far?

Pak: Mike is a dream. We were lucky enough to meet at the San Diego Comic-Con shortly after he'd started working on the book, and his great good humor and huge enthusiasm for the book was infectious. I'm doing my best to give him lots of fun character bits as well as some insane action to sink his teeth into, and I'm constantly having my breath taken away when the pages come in.

Nrama: One last thing: How many issues is the story scheduled for?

Pak: Four issues. Get 'em while they're hot! Preordering with your local store is your friend and mine — the best way for comic shop owners to know how many issues to buy. Find your local store

IMAGES - *SPOILERS*

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jhazzroucher

I hope this will not only be 4 issues.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Looks amazing! I wish Cyclops was not that scrawny though.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Really curious to see why Scott and Ororo lock lips. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Edgeworth_11 said:

Looks amazing! I wish Cyclops was not that scrawny though.

I guess he's back to being... Slim?

Storm looks gorgeous, but I'm wondering what (if any) explanation there is for the drastically different hair in Astonishing & adjectiveless.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

@lykopis said:

Wow - this looks pretty good. And I see Dust in one panel (guess she's with Cyclop's group?) and not Wolverine's?

Anyway - looking forward to this. :)

I missed Dust! That's a real shame... I guess they changed their minds, or there was an artist mistake :(

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Fan-service.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@xerox_kitty: Even though this is cannon...to me this looks like what would have happened if Scott had a fight with Ororo instead of Logan.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daycrawler

I'm guessing that it's alternate timeline versions of Storm and Wolverine. Or time-displaced versions maybe?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Static Shock

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

For all we know, it's just a cover.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock

@FadeToBlackBolt: Well, you've busted my bubble.

I want to say that it may just be nothing. After all, Wolverine and Emma Frost kissed before, and she was with Cyclops at the time.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

.......neat....i think.....haven't finished contemplating this yet give me a sec.......yeah it's neat

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Static Shock said:

I want to say that it may just be nothing. After all, Wolverine and Emma Frost kissed before, and she was with Cyclops at the time.

I'm hazy on the details due to not having read Whedon's Astonishing run in quite a while, but the Wolverine/Emma kiss was actually a Cyclops/Emma kiss. Cyclops was being projected as being Wolverine. Now, Namor/Emma seems more fitting given Namor's attitude towards her, and she wasn't indifferent, either, but I dropped Uncanny after a certain point so I never got to see if they kissed or not.
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jhazzroucher

@lykopis said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@lykopis said:

Wow - this looks pretty good. And I see Dust in one panel (guess she's with Cyclop's group?) and not Wolverine's?

I missed Dust! That's a real shame... I guess they changed their minds, or there was an artist mistake :(

I'm hoping its a mistake - or pre Schism? I want Dust with everyone else at the school. She'll be lost with Hope and her gang of lightbulbs if she stays with Cyclops.

alternate universe, that's what somebody told me.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Static Shock

@Morpheus_ said:

I'm hazy on the details due to not having read Whedon's Astonishing run in quite a while, but the Wolverine/Emma kiss was actually a Cyclops/Emma kiss. Cyclops was being projected as being Wolverine. Now, Namor/Emma seems more fitting given Namor's attitude towards her, and she wasn't indifferent, either, but I dropped Uncanny after a certain point so I never got to see if they kissed or not.

Well, that's what I get for going just by the cover.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mercy_

@Static Shock said:

@Morpheus_ said:

Well, that's what I get for going just by the cover.

Cover art is notoriously misleading ;)

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#18  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis:

I'm hoping its a mistake - or pre Schism? I want Dust with everyone else at the school. She'll be lost with Hope and her gang of lightbulbs if she stays with Cyclops.

Hehe.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Static Shock said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

For all we know, it's just a cover.

It's just the first few pages. : )

Looks like CYclops is throwing band-aids too. hehehe. : )

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By CATPANEXE

I've been distant from this title since Whedon left, but Paks run on Hulk was just stellar, so this has my interest peaked just with him being helming it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@jhazzroucher said:

@lykopis said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@lykopis said:

No it's not, it's 616 and Post-Schism.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jhazzroucher

@AgeofHurricane said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@lykopis said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@lykopis said:

Really???? So why is Storm and Cyclops fighting?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@jhazzroucher: Yeah and i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @jhazzroucher said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@lykopis said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@lykopis said:

Really???? So why is Storm and Cyclops fighting?

It looks like a training exercise. Neither one are fighting like it matters.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Yeah, Dust is in Utopia.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.