Grant Morrison vs. Joss Whedon

• 67 results
#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

During the 2000s, both Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon have written stories of the X-Men that were considered either good or bad.  So, which writer do you think had the best writing for the X-Men during the 2000s? 

Personally, I've enjoyed Joss Whedon's run more because of how he was able to develop the characters and have really funny moments with the characters.  I especially loved what he did with Kitty and Colossus' relationship during that run and Emma's relationship with Kitty was very well handled!

#2 Posted by Rickbarry (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd personally go with Whedon as that was my first comic title that I picked up. I'm sure there have been better writers and arcs, but you always remember your first, right? Whedon fo' life. Plus The Avengers was a pretty solid movie.

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rickbarry said:

I'd personally go with Whedon as that was my first comic title that I picked up. I'm sure there have been better writers and arcs, but you always remember your first, right? Whedon fo' life. Plus The Avengers was a pretty solid movie.

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was the first time I've picked up an X-Men comic too, so I have so many fond memories of reading this for the first time!
#4 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

During the 2000s, both Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon have written stories of the X-Men that were considered either good or bad. So, which writer do you think had the best writing for the X-Men during the 2000s? Personally, I've enjoyed Joss Whedon's run more because of how he was able to develop the characters and have really funny moments with the characters. I especially loved what he did with Kitty and Colossus' relationship during that run and Emma's relationship with Kitty was very well handled!

When in doubt, Mark Millar!

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon. Without a moment's hesitation.

His Emma. His Kitty. His Colossus. His Wolverine. His Beast. His Cyclops. 100% accurate and believable.

Morrison's run was fantastic and unbelievable, but Whedon's is my absolute favorite X-Men writer ever. Morrsion's #2. His Cyclops, Emma, and Magneto were spot on excellent, and Whedon kept those characterizations alive, as well as adding to it with Kitty and Colossus.

#6 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Whedon. Without a moment's hesitation.

His Emma. His Kitty. His Colossus. His Wolverine. His Beast. His Cyclops. 100% accurate and believable.

Morrison's run was fantastic and unbelievable, but Whedon's is my absolute favorite X-Men writer ever. Morrsion's #2. His Cyclops, Emma, and Magneto were spot on excellent, and Whedon kept those characterizations alive, as well as adding to it with Kitty and Colossus.

I agree all of this!!
#7 Edited by stambo42 (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm for Morrison. His run was far more daring, with stronger and more memorable antagonists. He did more to make the struggles of mutants relevant, relate-able, and believable than any other writer I can think of. He dared to propose the idea that the 40 year ideological conflict between Magneto and Xavier was tired and irrelevant, and would seem trite and narrow to a younger generation. With one issue (139) He gave Emma more depth than anyone could hope to do before or since. He made her one of the best characters in comics. He dealt meaningfully with baggage other writers had been ignoring in Scott since Claremont regretfully bowed to a cheapening editorial mandate some 15 years before. Although Quitely has a peculiar way of drawing faces on the two main ladies, he's otherwise one of the most exciting artists the X-Franchise has ever had, up there with Bachalo, 80s Silvestri, and Lee.

Whedon was a conservative who was brought in to reel things in underneath some well played characterization. I didn't feel danger or weight though, not like with Morrison.

#8 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

@stambo42 said:

I'm for Morrison. His run was far more daring, with stronger and more memorable antagonists. He did more to make the struggles of mutants relevant, relate-able, and believable than any other writer I can think of. He dared to propose the idea that the 40 year ideological conflict between Magneto and Xavier was tired and irrelevant, and would seem trite and narrow to a younger generation. With one issue (139) He gave Emma more depth than anyone could hope to do before or since. He made her one of the best characters in comics. He dealt meaningfully with baggage other writers had been ignoring in Scott since Claremont regretfully bowed to a cheapening editorial mandate some 15 years before. Although Quitely has a peculiar way of drawing faces on the two main ladies, he's otherwise one of the most exciting artists the X-Franchise has ever had, up there with Bachalo, 80s Silvestri, and Lee.

Whedon was a conservative who was brought in reel things in underneath some well played characterization. I didn't feel danger or weight though, not like with Morrison.

I completely agree with you here.

#9 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I found Whedon to be more entertaining and witty, with some great action and stories. But Morrison really brought the X-Men into the modern age by making his line up really more human than superhero, and made everything much more bold and really anything could happen. Hell, he killed off Jean Grey with a clean cut, though she's coming back now, minus the baggage but oh well. Morrison also wrote a really good Beast before he became a douce bag.

Morrison for me.

#10 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon, Morrison was great, but it was plague with bad art, while Whedon's was brilliant

#11 Posted by SC (13266 posts) - - Show Bio

I preferred Morrison's run, overall more, but there were aspects about the each handled their respective runs I wished the other writer could have adopted. Whedon is a bigger X-Men fan than Morrison for example, possibly thats why I found that he seemed to treat more of the characters warmer and kinder and consistent with their history and characterization, and so he sort of gave a definitive X-Men run. Morrison was more about reinventing and revolutionizing the X-Men and I believe he succeeded there, but it meant making some edgy moves and not all of them I thought were good or necessary, and were going to be erased anyway. If there was some way to give Potara Earrings to both writers or some way to force them to Fusion Dance... not just that, what would be great is if Morrison could be allowed to just write a out of continuity X-Men title so he wouldn't have to be restrained by the fact that the product will continue after him and having to abide by editors. It annoys me that he didn't get to use Moira MacTaggert or Colossus, to see how he would have handled both. Ironically I remember Whedon criticizing his own use of Colossus confessing he didn't know what to do with him. So basically to me, Whedon = good, safe, consistent and reliable X-Men stories and characterization. Morrison = great, original, edgy, revitalizing X-Men stories.       

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (15005 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's run was better.When I was reading Whedon's run on the X-Men I was never excited and the stories never entertained me much.

#13 Posted by Onemoreposter (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant by leaps and bounds. As a writer of comic's, Morrison just has Whedon beat hands down. Also, someone said there was bad art on Morrison's New X-Men run. Quitely did the art if I remember right. He was terrific.

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

Both wrote mediocre stories. X-fans just think that they were terrific when after a long time they got to read decent stories.
BB

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Grant by leaps and bounds. As a writer of comic's, Morrison just has Whedon beat hands down. Also, someone said there was bad art on Morrison's New X-Men run. Quitely did the art if I remember right. He was terrific.

No, Quitely was garbage as always.
BB

#16 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: But... but... Fantomex. ;/

#17 Posted by Onemoreposter (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: No way, Quitely was awesome...as always. The guys unique. I'll admit his art has gotten alot better over the last decade. He was certainly much better when he did All-Star Superman and even more so on his run of Batman and Robin.

He does seem to be an artist people are very polarized over.

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@Billy Batson: No way, Quitely was awesome...as always. The guys unique. I'll admit his art has gotten alot better over the last decade. He was certainly much better when he did All-Star Superman and even more so on his run of Batman and Robin.

Nothing awesome with the same faces in a different vegetable body.
BB

#19 Posted by John Valentine (16318 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison.

#20 Edited by stambo42 (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Onemoreposter said:

BB

He drew two characters with the same faces. Maybe you can extend that to the 5 in 1, but if so, you're missing the point. Logan, X, and Scott were widely differentiated. Any artist that strays too far from Jim Lee is "polarizing". Not that his faces vary widely.

I could have sworn the artist people hated from that run was Igor Kordey... It's definitely some of his sloppiest work. Meanwhile, John Cassaday was so boring I had to look his name up in the credits of Astonishing. He got the job done... that's about it.

#21 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually did like the way that Grant Morrison changed the status quo of the X-Men without making it too out there and I loved the idea that the X-Men were teachers and were teaching the students.

#22 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9204 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Whedon had the better run

#23 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon Atonishing X-men Gifted was the first comic I've ever got.

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232 said:

Whedon Atonishing X-men Gifted was the first comic I've ever got.

Mine too!

#25 Posted by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that both runs were terrific but I think I can say with certainty that I enjoyed reading Whedon's run significantly more.

#26 Posted by Mercy_ (92921 posts) - - Show Bio

@Krissyjump said:

I thought that both runs were terrific but I think I can say with certainty that I enjoyed reading Whedon's run significantly more.

This is my opinion as well.

#27 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@Krissyjump said:

Yeah, I loved the humor that Joss Whedon brought to his stories, especially this moment here:

#28 Posted by The_Diamond_Prince (66 posts) - - Show Bio

I sort of attribute both writers to my interest in the X men comics. Mainly because of my love for the animated show and the first couple of movies growing up, the first X men comic book I ever picked up was New X men 139 (Jean Walking in on Emma and Scott/ "Emma's murder") in my local library. I had no clue what was going on, but up until that point I never really thought of comics as being complicated and mature. Years later I sort of lost track of the series and was reading somewhere that Morrison's run with X men was over, but Joss Whedon's "Astonishing" would be the spiritual successor. Whedon sort of expanded on the qualities I found I loved in Morrison's run. Complicated character relations, witty dialogue, intricate plotting, and all around smart writing/ freakin weird writing. Plus you can't go wrong with Phil Jimenez and John Cassaday.

So to to sum it up, It's hard for me to decide a favorite of the two when I use both they're runs as a guide for what I look for in a superhero comic . They sort of go hand in hand for me.

#29 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Diamond_Prince said:

I sort of attribute both writers to my interest in the X men comics. Mainly because of my love for the animated show and the first couple of movies growing up, the first X men comic book I ever picked up was New X men 139 (Jean Walking in on Emma and Scott/ "Emma's murder") in my local library. I had no clue what was going on, but up until that point I never really thought of comics as being complicated and mature. Years later I sort of lost track of the series and was reading somewhere that Morrison's run with X men was over, but Joss Whedon's "Astonishing" would be the spiritual successor. Whedon sort of expanded on the qualities I found I loved in Morrison's run. Complicated character relations, witty dialogue, intricate plotting, and all around smart writing/ freakin weird writing. Plus you can't go wrong with Phil Jimenez and John Cassaday.

So to to sum it up, It's hard for me to decide a favorite of the two when I use both they're runs as a guide for what I look for in a superhero comic . They sort of go hand in hand for me.

Yeah, I loved the way that Joss Whedon's work just followed Grant Morrison's run smoothly.

#30 Posted by pwnda (59 posts) - - Show Bio

whedon for sure, Morrison wasnt original in killing off jean grey

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91291 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon is overrated.

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92921 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro is overrated =)

#33 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

They both are.
BB

#34 Posted by emperium (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were great. I just finished reading Whedon's run and Morrison's New X-Men a couple of weeks ago so it is all fresh in the mind. They all have pros and few cons.

Morrison really made X-Men something else and was a really welcomed change in my opinion (been reading the volume for the first time since around January this year). There were plenty of moments where I didn't want to stop reading and wanted to know more. Then there is the shock factor, plot twists that were all well planned. The art was different, not to say it was bad or good, but it did not bother me after I got accustomed to it.

Whedon's run was well written. I think it had the most humor that I have ever read in all the X-Men comics. The story is unique but not as strong as Morrison's. I think as plenty of posts above have mentioned, the best that Whedon's run has to offer is excellent characterization and artwork.

#35 Posted by EternalGrandMaster (121 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with most of the points made on both of the writers. Whendon and Morrison each had a fantastic run with Writing Xmen and I enjoyed both stories. Clips of Messiah Complex and Messiah War caught my attention of Xmen comics again as for I'm BIG fan of the Franchise and Title. Ive actual this year have started to dwell into Comics Xmen being my lead comic. Astonishing Xmen was my 1st time reading through a X-Story and I enjoyed I found it well written into character of what I knew of my X characters and was givin enough info to comprehen the Xmen world and place at the time. Whendon work was Astonishing better art than Morrison He def takes the win the there..........Morrison to me is the better writer and I love the direction he took the xmen However I always heard the buzz aroundMorrison work on New Xmen as I dabbled more and more into Xmen and Comics. I had the urge to follow through on Astonishing and finished with Giant Size Xmen#1(excuse me if I'm incorrect on the issue) But I was dyin to get My hands on Morrison infamous run on New xmen. and I've recently in past 2 months collected 114-154 of New Xmen and Morrison story line is Revolutionary! You have to get use to the art But Fantomex, Weapon Plus, and Cassandra Nova not to Mention all set their mark on the x world and are still functioning pieces apart from Cassandra. Morrison to me is the better writer and iinovated the Xmen and I like where he was taking them the art just could have been better and he shouldn't have killed jean off....Even though I like Cyclops for who is now. Whendon on the other hand keeps it classical with a new feel of adventure and his humor with the characters was great. I enjoyed both Writers run but more so Morrison as for I felt he was taking the Xmen in a great direction and opened up something new in New Xmen

#36 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Both wrote mediocre stories. X-fans just think that they were terrific when after a long time they got to read decent stories.
BB

GTFO.  

Morrison by a field. 

#37 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL.
BB

#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't remember either run... :P

Moderator Online
#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@emperium said:

Both were great. I just finished reading Whedon's run and Morrison's New X-Men a couple of weeks ago so it is all fresh in the mind. They all have pros and few cons.

Morrison really made X-Men something else and was a really welcomed change in my opinion (been reading the volume for the first time since around January this year). There were plenty of moments where I didn't want to stop reading and wanted to know more. Then there is the shock factor, plot twists that were all well planned. The art was different, not to say it was bad or good, but it did not bother me after I got accustomed to it.

Whedon's run was well written. I think it had the most humor that I have ever read in all the X-Men comics. The story is unique but not as strong as Morrison's. I think as plenty of posts above have mentioned, the best that Whedon's run has to offer is excellent characterization and artwork.

I agree that both writers had done interesting things in their runs.
#40 Posted by stambo42 (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@pwnda said:

whedon for sure, Morrison wasnt original in killing off jean grey

It's my theory that embracing this convention was an effort to ground such a daring and unorthodox run. ;)

#41 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes said:

I would say Whedon had the better run

I agree.
#42 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Grant Morrison just because it bought the idea of adventure back to the series without them needing to leave the mansion. There was drama in many interactions not involving combat or superheroics, and it felt more as if they had a daily life outside of fighting super villains or training.

#43 Posted by Roddy010 (5312 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they both were pretty great in their own unique styles. Morrison had a more dramatic and emotional approach to his writing. I felt the tension between Scott, Emma and Jean during new X-men...Morrison did an awesome job with that arc...There wasn't much shock value but the emotion was definitely there....Wheddon on the other hand gave us a delightful team of x-men....He gave each character a little something to contribute to the story...He blended comedy with action and made the characters lovable...He also did an outstanding job in Astonishing....Compare them both is like comparing comedy and drama...It's really just your preference...I prefer both...

#44 Posted by cattlebattle (13040 posts) - - Show Bio

You could have easily swapped the X-Men for a multitude of characters and Whedon would have wrote them the same....if you know what I mean, basically I am saying he always has his angsty, witty humor coupled with the unnecessary death and other Whedon themes. While giving us some good characters like Abigail Brand he also gave us Danger......who I consider to be one of the dumbest X-characters introduced in a while

Morrison changed the game and gave great delineations on all sorts of mutant affairs and plot points, not to mention he wrot Jean Grey spectacularly which i have noticed is hard for some to do.

#45 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon's run started off great, his take on the characters was top notch, but once the Breakworld arc really took hold it went downhill from there. His characterization was stellar, but his storylines were pretty weak. Whedon needed a co-writer to handle the action based plots while he focused on the character driven parts (which are obviously his strong suit).

Morrison took the bold router (as usual) and pretty much reinvented the wheel during his run, IMO a lot of his changes were not for the better, but at least it was something we haven't seen before. Too much change, too quick, many of which seemed like change for changes sake and not part of a greater plan.

I really can not pick which run was better, both had their good and bad points, and neither were as awe inspiring as many seem to think. Both pale in comparison to Claremont's truely legendary run on the title.

#46 Posted by Onemoreposter (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

The only problem concerning Whedon's run is that the villain got retconned.

I mean they could have AT LEAST made it Joseph (Mag's clone). The whole, "I'm Xorn, no I'm not....YES I AM" thing Marvel ended up making it into was lame.

Besides that though, Grant + New X-Men was boss. Not that I dislike Whedon or his run. I just feel like I always know about what to expect with that guy.

#47 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
You could have easily swapped the X-Men for a multitude of characters and Whedon would have wrote them the same....if you know what I mean, basically I am saying he always has his angsty, witty humor coupled with the unnecessary death and other Whedon themes. While giving us some good characters like Abigail Brand he also gave us Danger......who I consider to be one of the dumbest X-characters introduced in a while  Morrison changed the game and gave great delineations on all sorts of mutant affairs and plot points, not to mention he wrot Jean Grey spectacularly which i have noticed is hard for some to do.
I loved the way that Jean was written in Grant Morrison's run too! I loved the fact that she was portrayed as a strong character who was also a teacher too.
#48 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Whedon.

@Billy Batson said:

@Onemoreposter said:

BB

LOL.
#49 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

...ARE THE MORALES ON?

#50 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brazen_Intellect said:

Joss Whedon's run started off great, his take on the characters was top notch, but once the Breakworld arc really took hold it went downhill from there. His characterization was stellar, but his storylines were pretty weak. Whedon needed a co-writer to handle the action based plots while he focused on the character driven parts (which are obviously his strong suit).

Morrison took the bold router (as usual) and pretty much reinvented the wheel during his run, IMO a lot of his changes were not for the better, but at least it was something we haven't seen before. Too much change, too quick, many of which seemed like change for changes sake and not part of a greater plan.

I really can not pick which run was better, both had their good and bad points, and neither were as awe inspiring as many seem to think. Both pale in comparison to Claremont's truely legendary run on the title.

I honestly loved Chris Claremont's run on X-Men!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.