Grant Morrison's X-Men....

• 58 results
Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Grant Morrison's X-Men.... (69 votes)

Good 75%
Bad 22%
#51 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's X-Men is one of those things that is better read as a whole than in single-issue format.

I remember reading it every month and feeling worn out and bored.

In many ways, it's a lot like his run on Batman. It feels meandering if read month-to-month, but taken as a whole has some impressive storytelling.

At the time it ginned up a bunch of haters, but since many X-men stories since then have been weak to say the least, I think it's aged well.

#52 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis

It wasn't meant to be a harsh word, I genuinely found it difficult to sort out the legitimate complaints from the sarcastic commentary in your reply, and I'm still a little lost as to some of your viewpoints. Don't take this the wrong way, and it's not a personal slight on you, but a lot of it comes across as incoherent. You're certainly entitled to hold your own opinions, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

As I said before, 'vapid' is fine because that seems to be more of a personal distinction, but I still disagree with 'trite'. I thought that Morrison's run introduced a number of new concepts and ideas that maintain their relevance today, and he really did try to expand the mythos. As for our discussion regarding Xavier's policies, I'll drop the matter since we seem to have hit an impasse. And for my 'hip-hop metaphor', I think you've missed the analogy I was trying to illustrate. Not that hip-hop proponents were 'rebels against adults' like mutants, but that they - much like the fictional mutant subculture - started out as a small, regional niche, but their rising popularity and relevance in popular culture eventually led to the genre's mainstream acceptance. I don't want to go off on a tangent about rap music's history, but the genre was predominantly black and NY-centered before expansion - and the subculture shares more than just music - it ranges from fashion to visual art to dance to even language (ebonics and slang). Regardless of whatever merits you feel the idea of a mutant subculture lacks, it does prove a point that Morrison was trying to invent a new way to approach the concept (Though Remender seems to have retconned this). That 'fluff' simply adds texture to create a more complete world.

I try to be open-minded in my tastes regarding comics. Predominantly, I'm a superhero fan, though I do branch out to other genres of the medium occasionally. But heroes vs villains is still my main focus, and I enjoy variety in my superhero books. Some days I might want to read a gritty Batman noir tale, others a sci-fi cosmic GL one. I don't necessarily have any one blueprint for what I consider a good comic, but just in general, a strong story, decent art, and characters I care about are the base prerequisites. Being a wait-for-trader, I only buy books that have received a good response, and no matter how pretty the art is, I often can't enjoy a poor story. It just feels like a colossal waste of time and dime. Being visually-inclined, I am partial to pretty art, bad art often distracts me. Comics are a marriage of art and story after all. And there are some characters that I'm just indifferent to, so while the comic's well-done, I might not necessarily enjoy it if it has say, Rocket Raccoon.

Appreciate the comments, I'll see if I can post it up soon.

#53 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Incoherent? Not really, I like to think of my posts as a meta-series. Everything you need is all right there but there's no new reader jump on points, you have to buy the back issues. If you missed something, find another post I made, true believer.

Rocket Raccoon? a bit of an extreme example. How about this, something related a little closer to topic. Let's talk about the Morrison (trash) cast. What are you thoughts on Beak?

#54 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

John Sublime, Fantomex, Cassandra Nova,finally revealing Wolverines past,

All terrible ideas in my opinion.

#55 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Incoherent? Not really, I like to think of my posts as a meta-series. Everything you need is all right there but there's no new reader jump on points, you have to buy the back issues. If you missed something, find another post I made, true believer.

Rocket Raccoon? a bit of an extreme example. How about this, something related a little closer to topic. Let's talk about the Morrison (trash) cast. What are you thoughts on Beak?

I think I'll just wait for the trade to come out ;)

Extreme example? How so? And Beak? I'm pretty apathetic to the character, nothing about him struck me as interesting.

#56 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Sorry Veshark. Im not seeing any of my notifications. ARGH. With the Beak thing, I'd like to use him as a stepping stone to (at moderate not exhaustive length) expressing my impressions on the Morrison run as we didn't really communicate well with each other first go-round.I thought then (and still do) that he contributed nothing to the "X" universe as a whole. Sure getting a girl pregnant as a mutant is a niche idea but over all it wastes my time because it does not contribute to seeing Xavier's dream making even a single step closer to "reality". Thus I refer to Beak as a trash character. When a character is not a foil, a plot vehicle or constant support I can't find the value in it. The further it falls away from that story the less enjoyment I derive from it.

I have an essentials TPB coming out in May, it will have a chromium gatefold cover with holographic eyes and foil lettering by Adam Warren. Super nice with a foreword by Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

#57 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis

No problem, I've been having issues with the notifs system all day. Haven't got a single notif, I've actually had to keep track of all the threads I posted in just to check if anyone's replied. I only stumbled upon your reply by chance, on that note. As for Beak, before I respond, I just want to note my first post in this thread, where I said that while I thought Morrison introduced a lot of new and innovative concepts to the run, I didn't necessarily agree with some of the execution. Regarding Beak himself, I remain apathetic to the character as I mentioned earlier. He serves as sort of the 'student PoV' along with Angel and the Stepford Cuckoos, beyond that I don't really care one way or the other about the character.

What, no polybag xD?

#58 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I do have a special edition coming in June polybagged with a random card, forgot to put that out there. Collect all 5!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.