Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

GO AHEAD MARVEL…TAKE IT ALL AWAY

• 187 results
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

@frozon said:

I have stood by Marvel through some terrible books and stupid f**king decisions over the past 10 years. And read a lot of other terrible ones in old collections. And I have supported a lot of changes Marvel has made in the past few years. But retconning the Maximoff twins’ parentage is on New 52 levels of stupidity.

:(

in my opinion it's like 100 times worse.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll stick with my guns. Marvel losing fans will impact in some degree. And DC is 1000 times worst then any comic industry combined. All those reboots and reckons had made them the #1 worst ever. IMO.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowofthelight: I guess so.

It literally makes no sense. Pietro looks like a younger version of Magneto, and why would he if he’s not his son? Wanda’s children are mutants. Pietro’s daughter, Luna, is half-human, which doesn’t make sense if the plan is to make the twins Inhumans. Plus, Pietro lost his powers along with all the other mutants in Decimation.

Their identities, for good or ill, are tied up in both being mutants and the struggles that gives them and being Magneto’s children. They’ve spent a large part of their lives trying to prove that they’re not like their father. It plays a big part in their character development and to say it was all a lie makes it feel like everything that past writers and stories have worked towards was just a waste of time.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snurks said:

@shadowofthelight: I guess so.

It literally makes no sense. Pietro looks like a younger version of Magneto, and why would he if he’s not his son? Wanda’s children are mutants. Pietro’s daughter, Luna, is half-human, which doesn’t make sense if the plan is to make the twins Inhumans. Plus, Pietro lost his powers along with all the other mutants in Decimation.

Their identities, for good or ill, are tied up in both being mutants and the struggles that gives them and being Magneto’s children. They’ve spent a large part of their lives trying to prove that they’re not like their father. It plays a big part in their character development and to say it was all a lie makes it feel like everything that past writers and stories have worked towards was just a waste of time.

Too bad X factor is getting cancel. The bro and sis relationship was so great there.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: SJW agenda?

Lololololololololoooooooolllllllllll.

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sky_fire: Indeed.

There’s been so much good development between Pietro and Lorna in the All-New X-Factor series as they learn how to become siblings. It’s one of the best parts of that comic. And Wanda, in ANXF #14, started to try and bridge the gap between her and Lorna as siblings as well. And both of those developments have been so lovely and brilliant for all the characters involved. And by making them unrelated, that’s just throwing those developments away and saying, this meant nothing. Which is terrible, because it really has felt like it meant something.

In general, the twins’ story makes more sense, and is so much more powerful and interesting in terms of their development as people and their emotional journeys, if Magneto is their father. That’s why it was such a good move way back when it was revealed. And it’s not one worth ret-conning.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snurks said:

@sky_fire: Indeed.

There’s been so much good development between Pietro and Lorna in the All-New X-Factor series as they learn how to become siblings. It’s one of the best parts of that comic. And Wanda, in ANXF #14, started to try and bridge the gap between her and Lorna as siblings as well. And both of those developments have been so lovely and brilliant for all the characters involved. And by making them unrelated, that’s just throwing those developments away and saying, this meant nothing. Which is terrible, because it really has felt like it meant something.

In general, the twins’ story makes more sense, and is so much more powerful and interesting in terms of their development as people and their emotional journeys, if Magneto is their father. That’s why it was such a good move way back when it was revealed. And it’s not one worth ret-conning.

I know it seems like we’re jumping to apocalyptic/unrealistic conclusions here.

It would be easy to blame the whole debacle on Rick Remender and his debilitating addiction to hobo piss, but it’s rather clear that the decisions behind this madness has come from higher up the Marvel/Disney food-chain. This is all about sticking it to Fox Films and creating a more cohesive context for The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Which is something that is completely unnecessary. Why can’t the MCU and the 616 universe deviate from one another? There’s just no need for it.

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sky_fire:

It can no longer be denied that the mutants are being marginalized in the grander Marvel Universe. It doesn’t matter that some of the publisher’s best talents (Bendis, Soule, and now G. Willow Wilson) are working on X-Books. It’s become clear that Marvel films not having the rights to the X-Men will ultimately lead to the X-Men being edged out, possibly cancelled altogether in the not too distant future.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snurks said:

@sky_fire:

It can no longer be denied that the mutants are being marginalized in the grander Marvel Universe. It doesn’t matter that some of the publisher’s best talents (Bendis, Soule, and now G. Willow Wilson) are working on X-Books. It’s become clear that Marvel films not having the rights to the X-Men will ultimately lead to the X-Men being edged out, possibly cancelled altogether in the not too distant future.

No doubt. Shame Marvel.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And not only will this be a bad move in regards to overall comic sales, but it is sure to galvanize a reactive resentment toward the Inhumans. It won’t matter how good the Inhuman stories are, fans will avoid and/or deride the books simply on principle. It’s a lose/lose situation.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see it go right in and down

watch it go right in

Watch you flush it all awaaaayyyyyy

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Cutter

Copy Paste:

The real reason I’m not really bothered by this latest retcon is that I have a hard time believing that it’s going to have any staying power. Magneto’s been their dad for a really long time and in a bunch of different continuities too. AoA, Ultimates, a few Exiles universes, at least three of the cartoons. I’m pretty much assuming that, if this change lasts past the end of this particular story, it’ll just end up being retconned out again and whatever new parents they cook up for the twins will been duly forgotten.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have a theory about how Chthon is responsible for this and that it is, essentially, just a mislead for the upcoming Uncanny Avengers arc. You can read my thorough blog about it here. Anyways, after having read the solicitation bulletpoints, I see more and more possibility for that being the case. Just look at some of them...

• The tragedy at the end of AXIS has left the Uncanny Avengers vulnerable, and someone is taking advantage of it.

• One of the Avengers oldest foes returns with a terrible secret that will, all hyperbole aside, shatter the lives of two members of the squad.

• The New Men rise for what is theirs. They seek the chaos and the speed to create the true Earth, the true evolution.

• Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver discover a terrible truth about their past.

• What evil lurks on the moon of Counter Earth?

The New Men are the High Evolutionary's humanoid animal warriors who've dealt with Chthon previously and played a role in his defeat (which led to him putting his essence in Wanda and influencing her). My guess is that Chthon, one of the "Avenger's oldest foes", is going to "shatter their lives" and claim to be their father to turn them against the New Men while they're in a state of being "vulnerable" and susceptible to being "taken advantage of". He also has been shown to manipulate both of them and Wanda's powers also, if you have a story with Wanda, Pietro, and Wundagore/High Evolutionary...what are the chances Chthon is involved? Pretty good.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, Marvel could stand to respect their fans enough not to just jerk us around and hold our favorite characters hostage for publicity. Screw theoretical, non-existent, potential new fans, we are the fans who are currently paying Marvel, we're devoted already and we deserve a level of respect. Comics are a whole different beast than the movies, they existed for decades before the movies were even possible and they could never be synched to the movies completely. If Marvel values the MCU so much and wants it to work in conjunction with the movies, they should do some kind of Ultimate-esque title specifically tailored to that universe with new fans. Or maybe market differently? Market to a different demographic? I don't know. But I do know that it shouldn't be MY problem, it shouldn't interfere with MY experience of their product as a consumer.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Sovereign91001
    No Caption Provided

Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next up Alex and Scott aren't brothers. And there are too many speculations that none of them are confirmed. People are acting too quick and coming up with logical explanation when neither no one know anything for sure. Magneto didn't cast the spell so that's the only explanation? He's not the father? I'm sure there can be many more than just "he's not the father" There are a lot of explanation that can be added to this twist. There are more than just that. Funny cause we don't know what Marvel literally trying to do.

Roboticianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Roboticianist
    No Caption Provided

This is the best family ever.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EC2277
    Loading Video...

«Child there is something I must say: I'm not your father, I'm your mother!»

«And I am not your child: I am a marionette ia ia oh!»

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@koays: disney is one word. And you hush your mouth child

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad that I can just enjoy comics for the stories they provide and the art I have always loved. Most of you take things too personal, but it makes me laugh so please don't stop behaving this way.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess there's not much I can add to what has been already said.

What is amusing, how they pretend that the sole reason for this retcon was nothing but the urge to develop the "shady" past of the twins and nothing else dictated that motive. Like there's no f@cking blue whale in the room we might possibly spot. Oh God this is so stupid. Even worse if it's actually true.

Gazerbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gazerbeam

Every website I go is getting to look more like a fantasy, where everyone are jumping to conclusions lol. But what a bunch of sensationalist bulls%it, they haven't retconned them as Inhumans at all (let alone retcon lol). It's almost as if some of you guys want them to become Inhumans so you don't have to give Marvel the middle finger. How about we just wait to see what is actually going on instead of jumping to conclusions. So far speculation is all we have, is all there is, and will continue to be. I'm still so confused where it says that Pietro and Wanda are now Inhumans and can someone link me to that? But nope they can't, because it never said that. I'm sure it hasn't been stated anywhere. But I guess this is how people work.............jumping to conclusion. haha if I was ya I wouldn't get too hopeUP. Better ask yourself... are they really not Magneto's kids just because Wanda said so? Thats it? lol And because Scarlet say so...............so is a retcon lol.

Problem is that you're trying to follow the characters.

Follow the writers which it hasn't been done writing.

Roboticianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevin already said they aren't inhumans they would be retarded to make him seem like a lair.

Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Maximoff situation is horrible, Axis is terrible, and as far as the Magneto/Red Skull situation is concerned, I’ve very rarely seen such laughably blatant false equivalency.

Avatar image for themasterofmagnetism
    TheMasterofMagnetism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I guess people are starting to talk.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#76  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

Could be worse. Think of how it feels to be a Fantastic Four fan.

I never really have been interested in the X-Men or Quicksilver & Scarlet Witcht though the funny thing is with the X-Men movie last year and all the news and rumors around the X-Men lately it actually sparked interest making me research the characters and their histories more. So good job Marvel. By another movie studio producing your movies and by screwing them over you're actually making me interested meaning there would be one more new fan to support your comics. I really hate how Marvel is operating and really DC too.

Both the companies are being way too influenced by outside media and I am getting tired of Marvel rejecting characters that have pretty much built their company up like the Fantastic Four and X-Men just because they don't own movie rights to them. Especially since Fox only got them due to Marvel selling the rights.

Really though haven't comics always been like this? Being influenced by the outside media too? The Batman serials of the 40's we got the Batcave and the Alfred look we all know and love that doesn't make him to be such a comedic character. The Superman radio show brought in Jimmy Olsen and the TV show brought Jimmy Olsen as a key member of the Superman family. The Batman TV show made Riddler more popular and brought Catwoman back. The Batman movies of the 80's gave us a redesigned Robin costume that didn't make the sidekick into ridicule with the speedo and more gothic Gotham. Harley Quinn made it big through the animated series.

Though I do wonder if this is just stir stuff up and just trying to do something way out there like @gazerbeam said. It probably is really. Fans tend to overreact.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@gazerbeam: That's what message boards do, so I would suggest not wasting your time criticizing passionate fans. In fact we need more passionate fans to call these writers and companies on their bulls*@t, instead of being the dumb sheep they think we are by accepting or defending their foolishness. Either way it was stupid idea/development or whatever you want to call it. If it turns out that they aren't Magneto kids then decades of development just went down the drain. If they are then this whole part of the story was a waste time that could have been better spent developing a better more cohesive and concise story.

On top of that to try u and cater to the movie watchers is ridiculous because many of them dont read. Movies based on books are usually called adaptations its not exact. And thinking that people who just picked up and went to a movie will all of a sudden become so invested after viewing for 2 hours that there is no need to care about or slightly consider the diehards, that through their support probably created the potential market for a movie in the first place, is just kind of arrogantly asinine and really could be considered shortsighted to rely on moviegoers to drive your decisions in books

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone seen Marvel editor Tom Brevoot's tumblr/formspring? It's right here and he's getting major s**t for the Maximoff drama but every which way, he's responding and saying some ridiculous things that make you want to pull your hair out. By all means, tell him how you feel.

Part of the problem, honestly, is that Marvel is being run right now by people who grew up in the 60's and 70's so they have the perspective that the X-men are the red-headed stepchildren of the titles. But if you grew up in the 90's or 00's or even the 80's, the X-men were boss because they had 2 animated series, a zillion action figures, they were (and sorta still are) the most consistent cinematic presence. People won't ditch them because, honestly, most of us from the 18-30 range grew up on the X-men and Spider-man and not the Avengers or even Iron Man or Captain America. They tried to sell kids on animated versions of Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and a really wacky version of the Avengers and none of it worked- all of the aforementioned lasted 2 seasons or less. Meanwhile Spider-Man's and the X-men's animated series both lasted 5 years. Then, if you were around my age or younger, you had the X-men and Spider-man movies as a kid and X-men: Evolution as well which lasted 4 seasons. So people won't take too kindly to the X-men being shafted and they'll continually rake in money that Marvel won't get as much of a chunk of.

I think a lot of people's attachment to the Maximoffs and Magneto is related to the message of the X-men which is all about being an outcast and feeling a heavy sense of alienation. Add to that the fact that Magneto's complex relationship with the twins further alienates them and that storyline, of course, resonates with a lot of people. Also, it's just a fricken interesting, cool, unique origin story all around which goes down 3 generations into WICCAN and Speed, both of whom are beloved. So it's a real crappy and stupid thing of Marvel to do or even just to taunt us with if it ends up not being true.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I did some more thinking and reading and really this does make no sense and is a shitty thing to do with to the fans. And really makes no sense in the long run since every form of media they entered they have been portrayed as the kids of Magneto. Not that I really was defending this before though still. I'm getting sick of stuff like this from Marvel with all the of characters they don't own movie rights too. Its wrong to do to the fans seeing that Marvel were the dumbasses who sold the rights in the first place. Selling the rights saved them from financial problems and helped sales in the long run getting more people interested in there properties. When I was a kid I got into the Fantastic Four from the movies wanting to collect the toys and wanting comics about them. I fell in love with the FF all because of the movie Fox made of them. In the long run Marvel got profit from a movie another studio made from my parents. Recently I've been more interested with the X-Men partially due to seeing Days of Future Past.

Cancelling books and forbidding toy sales all due to another company having movie rights you sold to them is stupid in the long run. Yeah they will be making more with the Avengers or Guardians though in the long run promoting all of their characters no matter movie ownership will bring in money. I don't like what Marvel does though there are still somethings I like about them. I just want them to stop putting more care into the movies and becoming a comic company again.

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Snurks

@gazerbeam: I think you seem to be nervous about the whole theory of the twins as well. No one here are "jumping to conclusions". Unless you're speaking about those who are outside of the field, making up this whole parentage theory. Fans are going by other articles, which it appear everywhere (as you stated) and it makes them nervous, scared, and worried at the same time... because nothing is clear enough about the whole thing, but you must be prepared when people are hearing about Marvel and Fox are not on good terms. Marvel and Fox are on terrible terms. In fact, Marvel is actively killing off Fox-owned characters in the Comics Universe and has tied Fox's hands in regards to marketing and merchandising characters for which Fox owns the movie rights. This make people wonder what Marvel have in store for us since this whole drama about Fox and Marvel are actually getting the fans worried. In one of Remender's descriptions, he says, "Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver discover a terrible truth about their past." And since we all know what happened in Axis #7, so it's clear we might have a bad taste coming to our mouth. I understand what you mean about people "jumping to conclusions", but since is all there is "speculations" we can only expect the worst.

I agree with @hawk2916 wholeheartedly, we do need more passionate fans to come forward about the whole dilemma. If you're one of them, you should participate with the rest of the fans.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By HexThis

@crazyscarecrow What I find most disrespectful is the 75 Years of Marvel promotions. They expressly exclude the X-men and Fatnastic Four as if the they had nothing to do with their success, it's crass and stupid. No offense to Guardians of the Galaxy but who the f--k even knew who they were before the movies? Marvel's survival and their entire movie legacy was, in the beginning, contingent on the X-men back in 2000 and it was a killer sleeper hit and it opened the door for big, blockbuster superhero movies in the 21'st century. I never thought I would say this but where is WOLVERINE, one of the most profitable characters Marvel has had ever, one who definitely was more profitable than even Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America for quite some time.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis: Agreed. Without the Fantastic Four the Marvel universe would not even be around today. Marvel wouldn't be known as how they were today and characters and teams like Namor, Dr. Doom, the Inhumans, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, and Galactus wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for that book. Yeah, the team hasn't been doing anything extraordinary recently though they did much more the Guardians or the Avengers. The X-Men makes up the majority of their books and even has been the record breaking highest selling for a long time. Most of their supeheroes are mutants.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I am surprised at how they are treating these properties especially the Fantastic Four.

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Azalae
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

"No More Money.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m done giving my money to Marvel until this fiasco has been cleared up. Canceling my subscriptions. Not going to any more movies. 100% done. I have my back issues and fandom to keep me company in the meanwhile. And if it never gets changed back, well… I guess that’s just that much more money I’ll save.

To be clear: No one is being fooled here. They can crow “all about the story” as much as they want, but none of us are buying it (hah). This is clearly somewhere between a legal maneuvering to wrest control of the Maximoffs away from Fox by re-branding them as “not mutants”, and opting to try and smash MCU and 616 canons together. Either way, it’s NOT about story; it’s about money. Well, fine. If that’s the game we’re playing.

No More Money."

I'm hoping since we don't really know what's going on or what's going to happen, that it's all speculation just to mess with Fox's mind. I though this can be one of the reason like "GOTCHA"

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@hexthis said:

@crazyscarecrow What I find most disrespectful is the 75 Years of Marvel promotions. They expressly exclude the X-men and Fatnastic Four as if the they had nothing to do with their success, it's crass and stupid. No offense to Guardians of the Galaxy but who the f--k even knew who they were before the movies? Marvel's survival and their entire movie legacy was, in the beginning, contingent on the X-men back in 2000 and it was a killer sleeper hit and it opened the door for big, blockbuster superhero movies in the 21'st century. I never thought I would say this but where is WOLVERINE, one of the most profitable characters Marvel has had ever, one who definitely was more profitable than even Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America for quite some time.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This truly disgusts me^^
    They do this a lot though with their Marvel images.

HOWEVER
    Storm made it on the icon Contest of Champions with Thor, Spiderman, and Hulk. It's kind of like she's on the cover. We take our wins when we can. :)

amadeasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone is jumping the gun here. I personally think this was done to create some intrigue but ultimately will be explained away. I mean all we really have here is one of Wanda's spells. And also, I could be wrong here but if the spell worked properly, shouldn't Pietro be dead? I would think, if they were going to do away with their relationship then they would have dedicated a bit more time to it. I think we all need to wait and see what happens. That being said, I did actually write to Marvel to voice my opinion on this. Probably won't matter, but it did make me feel better. I got out of comics awhile ago, but would always come back to check on my favorite characters, the twins being my all-time favorites. It really doesn't make sense for Magneto to not be their father and it made all three characters far more interesting. Without the twins, Magneto only has Lorna and I just find that relationship boring. No offense if you're a Lorna fan, but I do think her dynamic with Magneto also benefits from his dynamic with the twins. To retcon that relationship, Marvel would have to explain away far too many things. For starters, I think it has been pretty well established that the twins are Magda's children. But just from a realistic standpoint, when Magneto came along he was the 3rd man claiming to be their father. I find it really hard to believe Pietro at the least didn't demand a paternity test on the spot.

nicos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87  Edited By nicos

They do stuff like this all the time.....

It's nothing to be mad about, it's not like 50 years of comics including some great stories featuring Magneto and his kids are not going to exist anymore. They are still there. Also, it's not like Pietro and Wanda are that deeply rooted to the X-Men anyways, there connection is tangential if anything.

Whenever something that people don't agree with is announced people always say "bah, I am not reading this anymore", but, they still do anyways.....never change, comic fans.

yeh true but some people like good stories well threaded together, it's all part of their enjoyment experience. and retcons like this kinda shakes it up for them a bit makes it less believable almost makes them feel like they've been wasting their time reading. its true these stories things never end and change is inevitable but as a fan you'd like to experience a solid build over time not a wrecking ball.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicos said:

@cattlebattle said:

They do stuff like this all the time.....

It's nothing to be mad about, it's not like 50 years of comics including some great stories featuring Magneto and his kids are not going to exist anymore. They are still there. Also, it's not like Pietro and Wanda are that deeply rooted to the X-Men anyways, there connection is tangential if anything.

Whenever something that people don't agree with is announced people always say "bah, I am not reading this anymore", but, they still do anyways.....never change, comic fans.

yeh true but some people like good stories well threaded together, it's all part of their enjoyment experience. and retcons like this kinda shakes it up for them a bit makes it less believable almost makes them feel like they've been wasting their time reading. its true these stories things never end and change is inevitable but as a fan you'd like to experience a solid build over time not a wrecking ball.

I'd add that I prefer to read stories that cover new ground, and that don't rehash or destroy story lines that had already been covered before. I really do miss when comic writers and artists would work with the editorial team to confirm and accurately portray a pre-established limit or tier, whereas now, you can have one character being called a planetary threat in one event, and then job to some random villain like Joe Blow the Rando in another story line.

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Noctum

Does this mean that Magneto is going to be more sympathetic then what he is now? I mean, we saw he joined the XM, helped them, he showed his redemption (several times), he's being portrayed as an anti-HERO, he still protecting his kind, he finally saw the light of Xavier's dream (and how touching this last issue was to me), he saved the world in several occasions, he saved the heroes during Axis (and more), and now... his children are not his? This is hard for me since I was saying that Magneto deserve a chance like every villain who had turned to hero or anti-hero (knowing that no one is perfect).

Does anyone remember this image? I remember having the original one for quite sometime and now I found this yesterday.

No Caption Provided

Magneto seems sad on the sec image. Oh I can't let Marvel do this to him. I did send Marvel an email, but not insulting them, It was more me saying how horrible I feel about this.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noctum said:

Does this mean that Magneto is going to be more sympathetic then what he is now? I mean, we saw he joined the XM, helped them, he showed his redemption (several times), he's being portrayed as an anti-HERO, he still protecting his kind, he finally saw the light of Xavier's dream (and how touching this last issue was to me), he saved the world in several occasions, he saved the heroes during Axis (and more), and now... his children are not his? This is hard for me since I was saying that Magneto deserve a chance like every villain who had turned to hero or anti-hero (knowing that no one is perfect).

I don't think so, Magneto loved Wanda. When she went mad during "Avengers: Disassembled", he was the one that brought her to safety in Genosha and all throughout her psychosis he read "The Hobbit" to her to calm her down. As a matter in fact, House of M started with Magneto lamenting about how he felt as though he failed her in every way. Then there was the Children's Crusade where he was determined to prove her innocence, saying that her power created life and wasn't meant to destroy it. He also went against the X-men to defend Wanda when they tried to rally against her. She reminded him of Magda who was the love his life and being that they are very similar in looks and personality, he always felt more obligated to her.

What they got wrong in this Axis event was also that Wanda hated Magneto or that she didn't want him to refer to her as her father. There was some truth to Wanda feeling as though he wouldn't ever change for her but overall, I have a hard time believing that her creation of the House of M (a world centered entirely around Magneto) was just in vain. She wanted a relationship with her father.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By cattlebattle

@nicos said:

The X-Men stories haven't really been a threaded together narrative since the days when Claremont wrote it, maybe at the very least the days when Nicieza and Lobdell.

Things like this with Wanda, Magneto and Pietro is no different from when they retconned Dark Phoenix into being a construct and subsequently Cyclops leaving his wife to be with her despite his growth as a character. Or how after Wolverine had spent his existence from 1975 to the early 90s learning to quell the savage animal within himself and find inner peace as well as a family with the X-Men, they just made him feral once more after Magneto ripped his skeleton out, again, undoing years of character development. Or the whole Xorneto nonsense, or Wolverines whole business with Romulus in general.

It is literally no different from any of that really. Major changes and retcons happen all the time in Marvel. Fans just love to complain.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things like this with Wanda, Magneto and Pietro is no different from when they retconned Dark Phoenix into being a construct and subsequently Cyclops leaving his wife to be with her despite his growth as a character. Or how after Wolverine had spent his existence from 1975 to the early 90s learning to quell the savage animal within himself and find inner peace as well as a family with the X-Men, they just made him feral once more after Magneto ripped his skeleton out, again, undoing years of character development. Or the whole Xorneto nonsense, or Wolverines whole business with Romulus in general.

But by citing terrible retcons, you'd think that would make a case for why Marvel shouldn't retcon this, right? Are we supposed to be so complacent and say nothing when they just make arbitrary shifts to storylines? Literally, the whole point of comics is to tell stories. If we hate a story then is that us just wanting to complain or being justifiably critical?

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

@noctum said:

I don't think so, Magneto loved Wanda. When she went mad during "Avengers: Disassembled", he was the one that brought her to safety in Genosha and all throughout her psychosis he read "The Hobbit" to her to calm her down. As a matter in fact, House of M started with Magneto lamenting about how he felt as though he failed her in every way. Then there was the Children's Crusade where he was determined to prove her innocence, saying that her power created life and wasn't meant to destroy it. He also went against the X-men to defend Wanda when they tried to rally against her. She reminded him of Magda who was the love his life and being that they are very similar in looks and personality, he always felt more obligated to her.

What they got wrong in this Axis event was also that Wanda hated Magneto or that she didn't want him to refer to her as her father. There was some truth to Wanda feeling as though he wouldn't ever change for her but overall, I have a hard time believing that her creation of the House of M (a world centered entirely around Magneto) was just in vain. She wanted a relationship with her father.

I deeply agree with you. Magneto does love his children very much and his grandchildren, as well, especially Luna. He did save his children on a lot of occasions. He's always there when they're in danger. Wanda wanted to be with her father and family while she created the reality where she granted everyone's passions and happiness. And her happiness was her family including her 2 children. In Children's Crusade, Magneto was the one who wanted to prove her innocence and went to get his grandchildren for help. He wanted to take Wanda with him to Paris, France, a place where she can be in peace and happy just to take care of her. I do remember Magneto reading stories to Wanda while in her sleep. I do remember how hard he tried to gain Pietro's trust and love to feel the affection of father and son. Despite them not understanding what their father;s been through. They might not know or understand the pain their father been through all his life, which is what causes him to be they way he was. Let alone how Anya died before his eyes.

Despite how Pietro might be the only one who kept his heart as a stone toward his father compared to Wanda and Lorna, Erik showed how much he loves Pietro. Pietro is his only boy, whose anger and physically look so much like Magneto and can't be denied that it run through their blood. When Pietro died (I don't remember the issue's name), Magneto was kneeing next to him and show his emotions for his son and wanted to avenge him (can you tell me what issues was this? Cause I can't seem to remember). So yes, Magneto love his kids no matter what.

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Retcon from Magneto's family never happened after almost 36 years. This can't be compare to any retcons you has just mentioned. It's not the same... really. Let alone in 616 universe.

Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Lallypops

I was told these were real sisters.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noctum said:

I deeply agree with you. Magneto does love his children very much and his grandchildren, as well, especially Luna. He did save his children on a lot of occasions. He's always there when they're in danger. Wanda wanted to be with her father and family while she created the reality where she granted everyone's passions and happiness. And her happiness was her family including her 2 children. In Children's Crusade, Magneto was the one who wanted to prove her innocence and went to get his grandchildren for help. He wanted to take Wanda with him to Paris, France, a place where she can be in peace and happy just to take care of her. I do remember Magneto reading stories to Wanda while in her sleep. I do remember how hard he tried to gain Pietro's trust and love to feel the affection of father and son. Despite them not understanding what their father;s been through. They might not know or understand the pain their father been through all his life, which is what causes him to be they way he was. Let alone how Anya died before his eyes.

Not to mention, can you think of a single other family dynamic in Marvel that is this strong? Fantastic Four, maybe. But this is the only instance wherein fans of one character like all the other family members by osmosis. Yes, Wanda is my favorite but through Wanda I got to see the best of Magneto and Pietro and through those two I got invested in Lorna too. Of course, Wiccan for me is a no-brainer, I loved him from the moment he was introduced but Children's Crusade really enhanced that whole connection to the rest of the House of M. The truth is that Marvel didn't start writing any of these characters with too much complexity until they all became involved. Wanda was very downtrodden by the sexism of the times, always fainting or being saved and more often having love stories as subplots whereas Pietro was really reduced to just being the protective older brother. Magneto was a straight-up villain before Wanda and Pietro with no real pathos and, like a lot of characters in the 80's, these three evolved into complicated characters together. Same with Lorna, her only distinguishing characteristic was being a chick with green hair before then, through her troubled relationship with Magneto, she became multi-faceted independently.

To sever that is to send all these characters back to the 60's and 70's. Don't get me wrong, they were still great but not nearly as much as they became, they made eachother. I feel like all of them would've fallen by the wayside without the cataclysm of their lineage.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By cattlebattle

@hexthis said:

But by citing terrible retcons, you'd think that would make a case for why Marvel shouldn't retcon this, right? Are we supposed to be so complacent and say nothing when they just make arbitrary shifts to storylines? Literally, the whole point of comics is to tell stories. If we hate a story then is that us just wanting to complain or being justifiably critical?

You have to look at it like this: 150 years from now, me and you will be dead and there will be some other people arguing on the internet, or whatever they have then, and they will be discussing Pietro and Wanda and someone will say "Actually, Pietro and Wanda were related to Magneto for almost 40 years!" and the other person will say, "That was like 150 years ago, who cares." My point is, that this development is outrageous because you are used to it being one way, Marvel is a business, they are thinking about the future and the new readers that will pick up the books within the next 10 years, they change things all the time to accommodate their business plan. Whether it pisses the current fans off or not. There is a very small niche of comic readers that actually stay readers their whole lives, most Marvel and DC readers range from 13-25, and they are primarily constantly concerned with that demographic.They will make arbitrary shifts to better fit their interests, and consider it part of the story.

Making and keeping new readers is always the concern and since their movies is what is making a lot of money right now, expect the comics to better reflect them. I would totally expect the X-Men to get phased out more increasingly in the next 5-10 years in favor of the Inhumans, and there is likely nothing the fans can or will do about it.

I mean, people always complain when the status quo is changed....go try and find issues from when the All New, All Different X-Men team started and look at the letter pages, people were outraged that the old X-Men were all but gone and threatened Marvel that they would quit reading, the same thing when Jean Grey was killed, the same when Rogue joined the team, etc. Its an endless cycle of weird, needless changes that fans won't like

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to look at it like this: 150 years from now, me and you will be dead and there will be some other people arguing on the internet, or whatever they have then, and they will be discussing Pietro and Wanda and someone will say "Actually, Pietro and Wanda were related to Magneto for almost 40 years!" and the other person will say, "That was like 150 years ago, who cares." My point is, that this development is outrageous because you are used to it being one way, Marvel is a business, they are thinking about the future and the new readers that will pick up the books within the next 10 years, they change things all the time to accommodate their business plan. Whether it pisses the current fans off or not. There is a very small niche of comic readers that actually stay readers their whole lives, most Marvel and DC readers range from 13-25, and they are primarily constantly concerned with that demographic.They will make arbitrary shifts to better fit their interests, and consider it part of the story.

Making and keeping new readers is always the concern and since their movies is what is making a lot of money right now, expect the comics to better reflect them. I would totally expect the X-Men to get phased out more increasingly in the next 5-10 years in favor of the Inhumans, and there is likely nothing the fans can or will do about it.

I mean, people always complain when the status quo is changed....go try and find issues from when the All New, All Different X-Men team started and look at the letter pages, people were outraged that the old X-Men were all but gone and threatened Marvel that they would quit reading, the same thing when Jean Grey was killed, the same when Rogue joined the team, etc. Its an endless cycle of weird, needless changes that fans won't like

Marvel's key demo is actually 18-35, that is the audience they are trying to reach, Tom Brevoot has said it on his blog a couple times. And in films? It's all about the coveted 18-49 demographic. Kids don't buy comic books or movie tickets, it's not like the 50's, comics aren't readily available to them in many places and they have to be sought out. Moreover, like I said, people who are of Marvel's key demographic likely grew up with the X-men and Spider-Man so it's not as though Marvel can make these shifts and alter the minds of their audience, the X-men are still very much present in a lot of fan's minds. So if you wanna think of it this way, it actually is bad business to treat their audience like children who won't notice their favorite characters are being swept under the rug.

Also, people forget that in the 90's the comicbook industry was basically collapsing to the extent where Marvel was bankrupt. And what happened in that decade? Kid Tony Stark, the Avengers reborn, an attempt at "realistic" non-superhero comics- a bunch of changes that didn't stick and were epically horrible. It nearly ended Marvel to make all those stupid decisions and it could happen again because comicbook sales are always on the verge of tanking and maybe it's because of all of this indecision and revision.

Anyways, the fact you are so aware of what a business Marvel is just goes to show you how badly they're managing this. Do people who watch Game of Thrones have any awareness of HBO's feuds? Do we know the marketing strategy of AMC executives behind Walking Dead? No. People just write good stuff, turn out a good product, and though people have grievances it never gets to the level of taking umbrage with the network, it's fair game but those criticisms are a matter of subjectivity.

Marvel owes their entire existence to comics, their survival through 90's to the X-men, and their transition into film is also owed to the X-men. The Marvel movies might not always be "in" and do you think Disney will give a s__t about them then? No. They have many other properties. So Marvel ought to keep a stronghold of hardcore fans on their side because they were the ones who subsidized their ambitions when there was no Disney. That's good business.

Tweetie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Tweetie

@dman1366: I thought this might help Marvel see how these characters mean a lot to us.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By cattlebattle

@hexthis said:

Marvel's key demo is actually 18-35, that is the audience they are trying to reach, Tom Brevoot has said it on his blog a couple times. And in films? It's all about the coveted 18-49 demographic. Kids don't buy comic books or movie tickets, it's not like the 50's, comics aren't readily available to them in many places and they have to be sought out. Moreover, like I said, people who are of Marvel's key demographic likely grew up with the X-men and Spider-Man so it's not as though Marvel can make these shifts and alter the minds of their audience, the X-men are still very much present in a lot of fan's minds. So if you wanna think of it this way, it actually is bad business to treat their audience like children who won't notice their favorite characters are being swept under the rug.

These people are fans now, but not might be so in 10 years, when Marvel will focus more on the Inhumans. They always look ahead to the new generation of readers and the newer readers never really look back at the old stuff anyways. Heck, there is a lot of people on these very forums that have never even cared to read the Claremont stuff, or the stuff from the 90s, or have vaguely skimmed through it, so, when they make a change to something that is remembered from that point in time, people tend not to care a whole lot.
    Its no different to someone that would potentially start reading in the upcoming years if they change Pietro and Wandas relations, said person will be familiar with the Marvel films and the new status quo. If you tell them "hey, those guys used to be Magnetos children" it probably wouldn't matter to them because that is in the past.
    @hexthis said:

Also, people forget that in the 90's the comicbook industry was basically collapsing to the extent where Marvel was bankrupt. And what happened in that decade? Kid Tony Stark, the Avengers reborn, an attempt at "realistic" non-superhero comics- a bunch of changes that didn't stick and were epically horrible. It nearly ended Marvel to make all those stupid decisions and it could happen again because comicbook sales are always on the verge of tanking and maybe it's because of all of this indecision and revision.

Well Marvel nearly went bankrupt for more reasons than that. Changing things was only one tangle in a gordian knot. They shelled out millions of dollars to guys like Jim Lee to write one series for a year, they made so much merchandise like playing cards, video games, pogs, lunchboxes, that when the "comic craze" fizzled out, they had all this massive amounts of debt from the manufacturers. I would adamantly stand by the fact that it had to do with a lot more things then just what people considered the "staus quo" being altered. As I have reiterated....they change stuff all the time. Look at "One More Day" for example, fans hated it......people still read Spider-Man. The DC new 52 changed a crap load of things, fans hated it......people still buy it.

@hexthis said:

Anyways, the fact you are so aware of what a business Marvel is just goes to show you how badly they're managing this. Do people who watch Game of Thrones have any awareness of HBO's feuds? Do we know the marketing strategy of AMC executives behind Walking Dead? No. People just write good stuff, turn out a good product, and though people have grievances it never gets to the level of taking umbrage with the network, it's fair game but those criticisms are a matter of subjectivity.

Yes, yes they do. Have you used the internet?? ;) People complain about Game of Thrones changing things from the book and altering the characters all the time. They make long, introspective Youtube videos about it and everything, and I am sure in some cases, they are desperate enough to write to the network. Same goes for the Walking Dead. This is kind of the point I have been trying to make since my first post on this thread. Things are always going to get altered, especially in comics, its what is expected and fans are always going to take umbrage with it. Its kind of what they do. Have you heard anything about the new Fantastic Four film? People already hate it with absolutely no context, because the released information has stated that there are things that are different from what they are used to.
    @hexthis said:

Marvel owes their entire existence to comics, their survival through 90's to the X-men, and their transition into film is also owed to the X-men. The Marvel movies might not always be "in" and do you think Disney will give a s__t about them then? No. They have many other properties. So Marvel ought to keep a stronghold of hardcore fans on their side because they were the ones who subsidized their ambitions when there was no Disney. That's good business.

I have never at any point said that you are wrong. I agree with you 100 percent on this. Marvel should be more worried about catering to the longtime fans and less worried about what Disney wants from them and their film universe. I love the X-Men mythos but honestly the comics haven't interested me in years. Back in the day the whole X-Men universe felt united, the X-Men themselves, the supporting characters, even the villains were kept track of and would go through developments of their own.....it was like one big, over arcing story. Sadly these days the X-Men feel like a bunch of generic super heroes with no real goals or purpose. I feel like we will be seeing a lot less of them in the upcoming years so I think we should just get used to it. Even if people do stop reading to spite Marvel the movies will likely jump start a new wave of readers so I am sure Marvel could really care in the least.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.