Gen Next

#1 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Whose children are whose?

I bet the guy in front is Cyclops' and Jean's: looks liek X-Man.

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

Could this possibly not suck?

"You asked for it, X-Fans, and now, you got it! Marvel.com asked you what Chris Claremont’s next project should be. You, the fans, said you wanted to know what today’s new generation of X-Men would be like if the Marvel Universe aged in real-time! Who are the children of the X-Men? And what happened to the original team, Professor X, and Magneto after over 30 years of conflict, victories, and tragedies? Now, at last, the answers arrive as beloved X-Men scribe Chris Claremont reveals an all-new generation of mutant teens!"
#3 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

So Claremont is writing it? I might skim through an issue, but I'll probably pass on this.

#4 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping that it won't be bad because the idea is good. I don't like the kids I see though, they look like copies of their parents (at least the two I can see: generic glowy-eyed summers baby and kid colossus).

#5 Posted by Owen_Porter (83152 posts) - - Show Bio

I have mixed feelings about this.

#6 Posted by Cobalt (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the big guy on the right is Colossus and Kitty kid. Is the one with the goggles Cannonball's kid? Who would his mom be? Meltdown? Lila Chenney?

#7 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I know who three of those are:

The second one is Becky Monroe - Storm's daughter

The one on the middle is supposed to be Cable having grown up normally and not been sent to the future.

And the last one Kid Colossus, also seen in X-Men: The End.

#8 Posted by Cobalt (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't tell if the chick behind the summers baby is Storm's or Psylocke's? Her hair looks purple.

#9 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"fesak says:
"I know who three of those are:The second one is Becky Monroe - Storm's daughterThe one on the middle is supposed to be Cable having grown up normally and not been sent to the future.And the last one Kid Colossus, also seen in X-Men: The End."

Who'd Storm have a kid with? And speaking of The End, there were a whole bunch of kids in those books. I'd like to see some of them."

That i don't know. Let's just say she's been sleeping around so she doesn't know either.

#10 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"I know who three of those are:The second one is Becky Monroe - Storm's daughterThe one on the middle is supposed to be Cable having grown up normally and not been sent to the future.And the last one Kid Colossus, also seen in X-Men: The End."

Who'd Storm have a kid with? And speaking of The End, there were a whole bunch of kids in those books. I'd like to see some of them.

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't surprise me.

#12 Posted by Cobalt (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the one next to kid colossus isn't Icean's daughter.

#13 Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be okay but at the end, it'll just be fluff. I remember when they used to call these type of stories "What If..?"

I'm sure I'll be getting it regardless.

Staff
#14 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

Since it's Chris Claremont we're talking about, I'll pick it up and look at it. Otherwise, no. But I might like it but I might end up dropping it so who knows. As it gets closer I'll just find out more about it.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this just made my day.

#16 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Still has hopes that a Kitty Pryde-Pete Wisdom child lurks somewhere in the imaginations and retcons of the writers' minds.. I wouldn't care who she had a kid with, so long as it didn't have to be Colossus. blech

#17 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm a real big fan of claremont's work exiles rocks and i love future timeline stuff

#18 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"Still has hopes that a Kitty Pryde-Pete Wisdom child lurks somewhere in the imaginations and retcons of the writers' minds.. I wouldn't care who she had a kid with, so long as it didn't have to be Colossus. *blech*"

totally agree i hate collosus.... hmmm 7ft tall metal man.... bit awkward to have a kid with.

i hope a cyclops and emma frost child.

iceman and polaris.

#19 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

They robbed me blind!....Which one of you Viner's is a Marvel mole?! Any ways the Collossus Kitty kid better be like my creation December...or better. If these kids are pale duplicates of their parents the book is doomed. If Marvel doesn't have a mole on the Vine they should get one......And look for threads ffom Sling Shot lol.
Post Edited:2008-03-06 19:55:57

#20 Posted by Owen_Porter (83152 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"They robbed me blind!....Which one of you Viner's is a Marvel mole?! Any ways the Collossus Kitty kid better be like my creation Winter...or better. If these kids are pale duplicates of their parents the book is doomed. If Marvel doesn't have a mole on the Vine they should get one......And look for threads ffom Sling Shot lol."

LMAO

#21 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"They robbed me blind!....Which one of you Viner's is a Marvel mole?! Any ways the Collossus Kitty kid better be like my creation Winter...or better. If these kids are pale duplicates of their parents the book is doomed. If Marvel doesn't have a mole on the Vine they should get one......And look for threads ffom Sling Shot lol."

LMAO

#22 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

You created a Kitty-Piotr child yourself? Curious. What powers did you give he/she? I've created my own char with Kitty as a mother. Let's just say Colossus wasn't the dad..

#23 Posted by Owen_Porter (83152 posts) - - Show Bio

Who was? Gambit :D

#24 Posted by Buckshot (18865 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"You created a Kitty-Piotr child yourself? Curious. What powers did you give he/she? I've created my own char with Kitty as a mother. Let's just say Colossus wasn't the dad.."

http://www.comicvine.com/message/love-child/29993/

Check his post on the second page.

#25 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Who was? Gambit :D"

No.. laughs softly It wasn't Gambit.

#26 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like it might suck.

#27 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"LexiCat says:
"You created a Kitty-Piotr child yourself? Curious. What powers did you give he/she? I've created my own char with Kitty as a mother. Let's just say Colossus wasn't the dad.."
http://www.comicvine.com/message/love-child/29993/ Check his post on the second page."

I saw.. Nice char, Buckshot. Probably way better and more original than what they can think up. ^_^

#28 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot or Sling Shot? ...or both?

#29 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they said who's the mother of Kid Colossus.

#30 Posted by Ninjasnake (47 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks alright, I'll probably read it just to see what its all about.

#31 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"I don't think they said who's the mother of Kid Colossus."

I know about the child in the Savage Land.. He got that woman pregnant while they were there. It could be hers? And there's also an allusion to perhaps another child with the alien who abducted him and healed him while he was presumed dead. So.. sure. Colossus gets around.

#32 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks interesting, I will pick up the first issue and hope it doesn't suck.

#33 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple of years back, Marvel Comics allowed fans to vote on what X-Project Chris Claremont would work on next—and it was decided that Claremont would pen a story about the X-Men as if they aged in real chronological time instead of that crazy thing comic fans call “comic book time”. This book was to show the next generation (or two) of mutants in the Marvel Universe as well as the fate of the remaining (much older) fan-favorite X-Men.

Today, Marvel releases GeNext #1 written by Claremont with artwork by Patrick Scherberger and cover art by Doug Gregory Alexander. GeNext #1 introduces readers to legacy of the X-Men 10 years after their near-destruction during the X-Men: The End storyline.

Newsarama contacted Chris Claremont to discuss GeNext—from the individuals on the team to the core themes in the book—as well as discussing some of Claremont’s legendary tenure with Marvel’s Uncanny X-Men.

Newsarama: Chris, what can you tell readers about the new faces that will be introduced in GeNext #1?

Chris Claremont: Let’s see—there’s Olivier Raven, the son of Rogue and Gambit; there’s Pavel Rasputin—Grandson of Peter; Rico—whose parents are not mentioned and won’t be until the last issue. It’s a challenge for the readers to figure him out. Becca, who is from the Savage Land, and her best friend is Pavel—Colossus—and her antecedents you can pretty much tell from her appearance but she doesn’t formally know who her mother is but there seems to be a link with Ororo. And there’s ‘No Name’—who, as the name implies, they know nothing about. He’s the team mystery.

NRAMA: Since this is in real time and there have been years and years worth of developments since the X-Men first came into existence in the early ‘60s—are there going to be story points that readers aren’t aware of? How much detail—regarding the past continuity—can you go into with a limited series like this?

CC: Well, it’s not that there is so much detail—it’s the reality of what is essential and what can be conveyed over the course of five issues. I like to think we provide a fairly comprehensive vision of Xavier’s school—obviously Charlie has moved on and so has Magneto. They’ve died over the last twenty years. Scott is still the head of the school—actually Scott and Emma—with Hank McCoy, the Beast, as the academic head. He is married to Cecilia Reyes.

In my mind—this story would take place 10 years after the end of the action seen in X-Men: The End. For example, Kat—Kitty—is getting ready to run for Governor of Illinois. She’s been Mayor of Chicago for two terms—it’s time for her to move up the ladder. Other members of the cast have similarly grown up—but the point though with this series is that the focus is on these five main characters…well, six actually since Olivier has a girlfriend…and it’s their life. We’re not trying to present a global vision of the school or where the reality fits in with the entire cast of the entire line of books—but we do get a sense of that as the story goes along. Our focus is on the kids. We really want to give readers a semblance of what happens next.

NRAMA: Are there any key moments on your run on Uncanny X-Men that may turn up in this story?

CC: Well, X-Men: The End is the frame of the mini-series. The school doesn’t cease to exist even though the original site of it is a big smoking hole in the ground now. A decade has past—things have been rebuilt and there is a way of dealing with the necessity of super-powered beings which still exist. The government still has their hands in the way super-powered beings are regulated—and this relationship is explored in No Name’s part of the story; the government and national security become factors in the story. The fate of Genosha is part of the story and how it has changed since X-Men: The End. We’re moving forward and attempting to introduce readers to a new group of characters they may like to see more of and perhaps a world they might be interested in as well.

The advantage of a book like GeNext or Exiles is that I can pretty much define the realities we are playing in—the disadvantage is that the reality we are playing in is only unique to this one book there are no other connecting elements beyond the core elements from within the Marvel publishing universe.

NRAMA: Right—the “The End” line of books don’t necessarily fall inside of Marvel continuity. Does that become a larger hurdle for your project in the hopes that it gains some credibility with the readers when they already know it may or may not be a part of the accepted mythos?

CC: I see it as more along the lines of a paradox—seeing as how I created most of the continuity in the first place. (laughs)

NRAMA: (laughs) Right…

CC: It’s like asking Stan [Lee], “Well, what continuity do you pay attention to when you’re writing Iron Man?” You know?

Out of courtesy you’d acknowledge the existence of other material but if you’re asking him to do a story based on his one or two unpublished Jack Kirby pages or something derived from the continuity that he and Jack established—the stuff that came afterwards may not ever be that pertinent.

In this instance, since the existing continuity is always subject to change—the continuity today isn’t the same as the continuity Grant [Morrison] established 6 or 7 years ago—when he did his X-Men. So, if you base something on the foundations that were established during Grant’s X-Men series that became invalid 6 months after he left…

NRAMA: It seemed a lot sooner than that…

CC: Right—see the stuff that I established on my run on the X-Men in 2000 became invalid five minutes after I left—that’s why GeNext exists for better or worst in it’s own bubble—it’s basically my version of an Ultimates book.

NRAMA: Sure—but do you ever get the feeling that this could be indicative of a worsening aspect of the mainstream industry—I mean—you ran on a book for seventeen years—and it seems like Marvel and DC reboot or at least readjust and refocus a book about every two years…

CC: Yeah, well, that’s not exactly a big surprise now is it? That was a reality of the business when I was there—I just happened to stick around longer than anyone expected or had stuck around before. I mean, I could have just as easily moved on after five years just as John [Byrne] did and Dave [Cockrum] did. The next writer would have come in and rebooted everything.

NRAMA: Why didn’t you?

CC: Because…it was too much fun. I was having a great time and Jim Shooter, to his credit, figured that if it came to a choice between booting me off of the Uncanny X-Men or John—it was more to Marvel’s advantage to give John a forum for which he could let me keep going with what I was doing and give him a forum where he could function with even more freedom than he had on the X-Men.

NRAMA: Which was when he moved over to the Fantastic Four…

CC: Correct—from Shooter’s position it was a win-win situation which I wasn’t going to argue with at the time. I was able to have a lot more fun. You’re balancing too different things—the need of the publisher to maintain continuity in the sense of a steady, dependable source of income or product; but at the same time, you want to keep re-energizing the character, the structure and the format to attract new audiences. From my perspective, when I look at a book like GeNext or The Exiles—my approach is not a solo-title it is a potential foundation for new line and perhaps if we are successful we can bring back GeNext for a second arc or try it out on a one-year basis or even as a potential ongoing—or even create a spin-off. It’s almost like having the potential for a second line of “Ultimate-style” books.

Now, whether or not that fits into Marvel’s publishing schedule, from my perspective—it’s a nice hope; but it’s not entirely relevant. I have to work under the assumption that if we do the best we can in terms of quality of product—in terms of writing, the art, and the characters (but not necessarily in that order) and the stories are attractive to an audience who come back for all five issues and the end they want more—Marvel, like any rational publisher—will try it’s best to give them what they want. That’s what happened with the X-Men; so, maybe, history will repeat itself and lightning will strike again.

That’s the ambition I think any creator has for their work; to strike a chord with the audience and sustain it and expand upon it. You always keep your fingers crossed—it’s enthusiasm and it’s hope.

NRAMA: Okay, changing gears back to GeNext—what kind of threats will this young group of X-Men face?

CC: Well, let’s see—evaluations from their professors, tests, young romance, mysterious adversaries from the past, you name it-they got it. A couple of surprises here and there—a couple of faces you wouldn’t expect to see popping and their evolution from five disparate individuals into a team.

For example, Rico doesn’t want to be a superhero—he wants to play his guitar. He’s got to go to high school and once he gets out of there—he figures he’ll go to college—but he really wants to go live on the East Side and play his guitar and take a band on a circuit of all the clubs in New York. His dad was a superhero, his granddad was a superhero, he wants to try something different.

As for Colossus, he basically wants to be a painter.

NRAMA: So the apple doesn’t fall from the tree—

CC: And why should it? We spend the whole second issue with his work—the frame of the second issue is that every page starts with a page from Pavel’s sketchbook. So, you get to see if he’s any good and, at the same time, you get a wider vision of the world and the characters—like a vision of his Grandmother who is from the Savage Land.

Again, this is to try and put our five or six heroes in a context that shows you a sense of their lives within the school and the reality of the school within the wider community and how these kids come to a point in their lives where they face a choice that every character with a major power would eventually come to in this set of circumstances: “Do I follow in my parent(s) footsteps?” Bare in mind, this lifestyle killed Olivier’s mother—one of the seminal events of X-Men: The End is the death of Rogue. He and his sister haven’t talked for years because he stayed at the school and she left with her Dad—Gambit. He doesn’t much care for the parents of his son’s girlfriend—we’ve got soap opera galore around here!

NRAMA: This was one of five projects that were voted on, correct?

CC: Initially, there was something like ten projects—which were voted on in-house at Marvel. Five were put out for the readers to decide.

NRAMA: I remember voting—I actually voted for GeNext.

CC: Well, I hope you enjoy it! (laughs)

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=157047

#34 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read it and .....whelp......Chris Claremont is officially retired. Back with extreme X-Men he proved it, but GeNext is the icing on the cake.

I really want to like this book because the concept is so near and dear, but the kids they got for this are tired, trite, blase. I read the character descriptions in the back and it was basically the manifestation of exactly what I warned makes a boring aka bad offspring, from my lovechild thread (in the old days of yore).

The characters are prepackaged predictable enigmas, the way they interact is...well..redundant.

Marvel has taken an idea I had high hopes for and turned it into mediocrity. I also don't like the diversity of characters, ethnically nor archetypally( if thats a word) because i have been a X-fan my whole comic life I will see it to it's end but so far I am immensely underwhelmed, and have no prospects for that to change.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.