Gambler's X-Men Thread

#5251 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@xxxddd said:

@Gambler: I believe X-Men should be completely retconned, with all current Marvel continuity(as well as Ultimate X-Men) eliminated, and have one X-Men title simply called "The X-Men," not "Uncanny X-Men."

Do you agree or disagree with this statement and why?

I'm so behind on the X-Men these days I really couldn't give you an intelligent answer.

That's it, you lose naming rights for the thread for not keeping up to date

Just like I'm 3 months behind

#5252 Edited by save.me.now (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to the nature of the book (new mutants always appearing) it would be really tough to just jam everything into one X book. Also there's all the marginalized characters that would become pretty much non existent. It wasn't even possible when no new mutants were being born, now it just couldn't be done.

I've seen it work out in smaller, less established universes like Invincible and Irredeemable. But even in Invincible they've had to break out into mini series like Guarding the Globe and the upcoming Invincible Universe.

So regardless you're going to eventually need some sort of mini series or spin off to develop the team. And If you've got a series running for like 300 - 800+ issues, instead of doing a new mini series every year you might as well make a spin off series. I'm not saying marvel couldn't get rid of one or two X titles but not all of them.

One interesting thing to note is that the eponymous X-Men title has had almost nothing to do with marvel current events for most of these 41 issues. Aside from the the issues that focus on jubilee you could have pretty much skipped the whole series and still been up to date with current x men events. weird right?

#5253 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Retcon everything!? No way. However many crappy stories the X-Men have gone through, I'd like to believe that the good ones outweigh the bad ones. Destroying all those years' worth of rich continuity and character development would be like taking all those great writers who have worked on X-Men over the years and slapping them across the face.

#5254 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Legacy just keeps on getting better and better. UXF was also dope, have of yet to read Ultimate.

#5255 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@RawrImADragon: Plenty of writers have been slapped in the face already most them worked between 1963 and 2000, so I'm not really seeing a big jump in the norm there. HOWEVER I do agree that editing out all the stories is a bad idea. I say hit the "flashpoint" then release a one compendium of actual events (hardcover would be NICE) that occurred prior to the new number 1's stories with the previous stories moderately altered to fit new continuity....I LOVE THAT WORD. Say it with me CONTINUITY...the only thing with a continuity worse than "X" is Star Trek. THAT WOULD BE SOOOOOO...awesome.

@John Valentine said:

I do, agree, however, that a revamp of the X-line would be beneficial. Marvel NOW! isn't fundamental enough.

Wise words my friend. Very wise.

#5256 Edited by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

So it turns the traitor is really a traitor

Although the magneto I know wouldn't back stab his own race to sheild of all people.

#5257 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate: It probably yet another clone, didnt you know that the Jackal and Magneto are old drinking buddies? A little hunch punch, bam twenty magnetos...

#5258 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: Almost forgot about magento's clones, but I highly doubt Bendis reads that far deep into X-men books.

#5259 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

Young Jean, you little bitch.

#5260 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

It's the hair.

#5261 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

So are we sure Domino hasn't had a secondary mutation? Perhaps she's super durable now cause...ya know...stuff.

#5262 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

@John Valentine said:

It's the hair.

her hair is liked your grandmother's hairstyle or maybe your great great grandmothers style

i hope she gets a better hairstyle soon, hopefully in anxm9 when the o5 get new costumes

#5264 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio
#5265 Posted by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio

That's little harsh John, Emma being doing that for that years, you don't call her a bitch.

#5266 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

soon the x-men thread will be good again tomorrow.......its so quiet now

#5267 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

her hair is liked your grandmother's hairstyle or maybe your great great grandmothers style

It's hideous. Her hair. It's absolutely hideous. She did it deliberately too. She had a ponytail before, so her hair had a chance to be normal. She rejected that possibility, so that she could look like Mary Tyler Moore's lesser

#5268 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Comics X-Men. Yeah.

#5269 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio
#5270 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Never thought it could get better, but the latest issue with Jean almost had me jizzing my pants. Love how Wood's still managing to shed some spotlight on characters that are criminally underused in the 616 - Magma, Shola Inkosi, Zero (?!) and others.

That, and the consequential scope of this storyline he's building up. To me, the whole concept of "Utopia" was handled better in this universe than it was during 616.

#5271 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Never thought it could get better, but the latest issue with Jean almost had me jizzing my pants. Love how Wood's still managing to shed some spotlight on characters that are criminally underused in the 616 - Magma, Shola Inkosi, Zero (?!) and others.

That, and the consequential scope of this storyline he's building up. To me, the whole concept of "Utopia" was handled better in this universe than it was during 616.

I'm pretty sure that I've said it before but I really didn't care for his X-men run...but his run on Ultimate X-men has been fantastic

#5272 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited which is great considering how a lot of the characters he's using I'm not even remotely fond of in 616. Again, this shows that there's a plethora of unused talent in 616 to work with.

#5273 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. So Cipher and Bling! (Pixie notwithstanding) will be recurring members of Wood's X-Men. I can't deal.

#5274 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3628 posts) - - Show Bio
#5275 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. So Cipher and Bling! (Pixie notwithstanding) will be recurring members of Wood's X-Men. I can't deal.

Indifferent.

@ageofhurricane: @john_valentine: @time: did anyone see that angel of the o5 joined cyclops revolution???

Yeah. Hmmm, he's probably the least interesting member of the O5, on par with Iceman. I'm guessing he'll be the member of the O5 to die in the present.

#5276 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Youth. Obscure characters. I believe there's hope for a few of these NXM yet if Wood has his way, as he's written a fantastic Pixie as well as Bling!.

Not that fcking hard, Aaron.

#5277 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Youth. Obscure characters. I believe there's hope for a few of these NXM yet if Wood has his way, as he's written a fantastic Pixie as well as Bling!.

Not that fcking hard, Aaron.

I suppose it's better than nothing! Wood is really pretty good at using obscure characters. Good on him.

#5278 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@ageofhurricane: @john_valentine: @time: did anyone see that angel of the o5 joined cyclops revolution???

Yeah. Hmmm, he's probably the least interesting member of the O5, on par with Iceman. I'm guessing he'll be the member of the O5 to die in the present.

you know what i just thought of??? what if jean grey was still mind controlling warren, so she could spy on cyclops new team and find out where the location was?????

#5279 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio
#5280 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm. Prodigy for the Young Avengers.

#5281 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm. Prodigy for the Young Avengers.

Not one of my favourite New X-Men, but it makes sense and Gillen's doing a great job with the title so far. My favourite Marvel NOW! title by far.

#5282 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: The title seriously is great, even if i didn't necessarily enjoy Gillen's Uncanny.

#5283 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

I KNEW IT!!!!

X-Factor's last issue is #262 :(

#5284 Edited by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

I KNEW IT!!!!

Yeah. It's still a good read, but it hasn't been fantastic in years.

Glad to see that the last few issues will spend more time focusing on interpersonal character relationships. That's what PAD does best.

#5285 Edited by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I KNEW IT!!!!

Glad to see that the last few issues will spend more time focusing on interpersonal character relationships. That's what PAD does best.

you are correct with all of that

#5286 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine said:

@danhimself said:

I KNEW IT!!!!

U guys see the video he made!?

#5287 Edited by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@john_valentine said:

@danhimself said:

I KNEW IT!!!!

U guys see the video he made!?

Nope, can you link it please?

#5288 Edited by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio
#5289 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

Guilty confession - I liked Deadly Genesis.

#5290 Edited by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked up Astonishing on a whim this afternoon. It must suck to be Bobby. Piotr hasn't been to the mansion in a year or so and Kitty wants him. He can't catch a break in the romance department.

#5291 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry said:

I picked up Astonishing on a whim this afternoon. It must suck to be Bobby. Piotr hasn't been to the mansion in a year or so and Kitty wants him. He can't catch a break in the romance department.

But, but.... Piotr's an obsessive creep.

#5292 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry said:

But, but.... Piotr's an obsessive creep.

The guy's last name is Rasputin. Him being weird is a given.

#5293 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio
#5294 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, saw that earlier, knew it was fake. I should've been excited at the prospect of a title focusing around the New X-Men as that's what i'm currently bloody asking for and seriously want, but Bendis. Lol no.

#5295 Edited by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, saw that earlier, knew it was fake. I should've been excited at the prospect of a title focusing around the New X-Men as that's what i'm currently bloody asking for and seriously want, but Bendis. Lol no.

I don't get your Bendis hate. He's certainly not the worst X-writer in the past 10 years, and he's certainly not the worst right now. Wood and PAD (though X-Factor has lost its way) are the only current writers who top him, IMO.

#5296 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio
#5297 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12019 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote for the rerereturn of original 616 Jean Grey!

#5298 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: It's the incessant character freak-outs and repetitive dialogue. Also, the story that fails to realize some substantial progression after 11 issues with characters stretched between two titles in addition to the fact that he's avoiding logical and meaningful character interaction, just so he can push his "story", a "story" that fails to be going anywhere . It doesn't help that he makes my favorite character look like a flipping idiot every time he opts to include her in his stories.

I'm aware a vast majority of people enjoy stuff like this (as evidenced by the sales, although that could be as a result of those leading covers and "hype") and actually find back and forth character chit-chat intertwined with boring, stale and regurgitated cliche gimmicks--compelling, but the sooner the likes of uninspiring/unimaginative and lackluster hacks such as himself and Aaron leave the franchise in exchange for more competent writers, the better.

#5299 Edited by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@john_valentine said:

Imagine if this were real (sadly, it's not):

I would by the hell out of this book! God, damn. That's the ideal cast with Clay Mann on art! Plus, what ever people say about him, Bendis is at his best writing teen/young adult heroes - Ult. Spider-Man and Ult. X-Men - and his X-Men work so far has been good.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?453622-New-X-Men-by-Brian-Bendis-amp-Clay-Mann-!-!-!

I wanted this to be legit SO DAMN BAD!!! D:

So do I! I was excited for all of ten minutes before I realised it wasn't true :(.

@john_valentine: It's the incessant character freak-outs and repetitive dialogue. Also, the story that fails to realize some substantial progression after 11 issues with characters stretched between two titles in addition to the fact that he's avoiding logical and meaningful character interaction, just so he can push his "story", a "story" that fails to be going anywhere . It doesn't help that he makes my favorite character look like a flipping idiot every time he opts to include her in his stories.

I'm aware a vast majority of people enjoy stuff like this (as evidenced by the sales, although that could be as a result of those leading covers and "hype") and actually find back and forth character chit-chat intertwined with boring, stale and regurgitated cliche gimmicks--compelling, but the sooner the likes of uninspiring/unimaginative and lackluster hacks such as himself and Aaron leave the franchise in exchange for more competent writers, the better.

I can see your criticisms about All-New, however, I think the title, on the whole, is good. Hopefully this settup will pay off later down the line. And, if we're being honest about it, most of this criticisms aren't just applicable to Bendis.

Bendis is good for the franchise. It's a smart move by Marvel having their biggest writer on a franchise that's tragically under-performed in recent years.

#5300 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Considering just about everything these days is looked at through a Marketing perspective/money-incentive-based, he may be better on the sense that he can generate substantial sales. And that's true, cause i shouldn't be blaming him--but Marvel instead, since it's gotten to the stage where we'll need to maximize profits at the expense of quality story-telling.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.