Gambler's X-Men Thread

#5101 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men #37 - best X-Title of the week.

#5102 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

DAMN YOU JASON AARON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's most likely not dead, but I wish he were.

#5104 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

"Cyclops Was Right" T-Shirt

LOL

#5105 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame that Gillen decided to end Uncanny with such a snooze-fest of an issue, the only interesting part of this 'big bang' was the Illyana/Cytorrak/Piotr closure thingy. Everything else was boring, as usual.

#5106 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

Lorna's new costume is ugly as sh!t and Havok's just looks ridiculous...shouldn't have taken fashion advice from Pip and stuck with his space costume

#5107 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

So is the professor dead dead now? Im trying to think how they will bring him back later if they do.

Its wierd to think that someone so iconic is dead. Even though he just died like a year or two ago, this one seems alot harder to come back from.

Speaking of, how did he come back from the dead from Messiah Complex after bishop shot him? I cant remember

#5108 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@unicornpuncher said:

So is the professor dead dead now? Im trying to think how they will bring him back later if they do.

Its wierd to think that someone so iconic is dead. Even though he just died like a year or two ago, this one seems alot harder to come back from.

Speaking of, how did he come back from the dead from Messiah Complex after bishop shot him? I cant remember

Tempo stopped time and Exodus stopped him from dying by piecing his head back together.

I think Death by Dark Phoenix is a little more permanent.

#5109 Posted by stormphoenix (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

"Cyclops Was Right" T-Shirt

And I WILL be buying that shirt.

#5110 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

man Gambit has got to be one of my favorite Marvel books right now

#5111 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

1st month in over a decade I have no X-books on my pull list, quit cold turkey

#5112 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I think, aside from the art, it's thoroughly average.

#5113 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself said:

I think, aside from the art, it's thoroughly average.

I like the thief and adventure type stuff...like the Tomb Raider book that Top Cow used to do....loved it and the Uncharted games...loved them

#5114 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33352 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine

Well, Havok's an absolute joke.

Yep
#5115 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#5116 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely picking up Legacy.

#5117 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Definitely picking up Legacy.

Assuming you've seen the preview?

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=48001

#5118 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: YES!

Loved every bit i got from Legion and am highly anticipating this issue's arrival. It's different and features characters that are underused and that i actually care about (Legion, Blindfold, some Trance cameos, etc..). Plus, from what has been shown, the writing's alright.

#5119 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Loved every bit i got from Legion and am highly anticipating this issue's arrival. It's different and features characters that are underused and that i actually care about (Legion, Blindfold, some Trance cameos, etc..). Plus, from what has been shown, the writing's alright.

Looks pretty good, certainly better than the old Legacy title from the last year or so. Maybe better than Carey's Legion stuff - time will tell.

I'm more excited for the new Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men, although I'm less excited for ANX now that the New Uncanny has been announced.

#5120 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Looks pretty good, certainly better than the old Legacy title from the last year or so. Maybe better than Carey's Legion stuff - time will tell.

I'm more excited for the new Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men, although I'm less excited for ANX now that the New Uncanny has been announced.

Hopefully, this is one of the Marvel NO! (yes, NO) titles that i'm looking forward to. I like Legion, a lot. And it's already looking much better than Gage's grovel.

As for UXM and ANXM, eh...Bendis is handling both, and it's not as if a profuse amount of fan-favorites are there for me to choose from, it's just a shame both titles are being headlined by stellar artists, but with a hit-or-miss writer. ANXM does look intriguing, and i'll check it out just to see what happens to Jean, also, to see what becomes of those two 'new mutants' (whom one of which, i was hoping would be Sofia Mantega, evidently not...lol).

#5121 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Legacy # 1 looks so meh to me. Also, I will begrudgingly withhold judgement on the Uncanny X-men relaunch till at least the first arc of all new Xmen finishes.

#5122 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Hopefully, this is one of the Marvel NO! (yes, NO) titles that i'm looking forward to. I like Legion, a lot. And it's already looking much better than Gage's grovel.

As for UXM and ANXM, eh...Bendis is handling both, and it's not as if a profuse amount of fan-favorites are there for me to choose from, it's just a shame both titles are being headlined by stellar artists, but with a hit-or-miss writer. ANXM does look intriguing, and i'll check it out just to see what happens to Jean, also, to see what becomes of those two 'new mutants' (whom one of which, i was hoping would be Sofia Mantega, evidently not...lol).

Oh, yeah, Gage's X-Men Legacy was utter crap.

Damn, yeah. It's a shame she's still depowered, but I suppose too much has happened since M-Day to reintroduce her - she hasn't featured in anything for years, although I'd love if she was. I was hoping that Hellion, Surge, Mercury, Dust, Cuckoos etc would leave the school and follow Cyclops. Hellion's viewpoint seems especially aligned with Scott's new line of action, Surge and Dust didn't want to be at the school anyway and supported Cyclops before AvX. They seem a little too old to be in that "school". Not sure about Anole, Rockslide, Glob Herman, Match, Ernst, No-Girl etc. Hopefully Elixir could join them too!

Oya, Genesis, Broo, Quentine Quire can stay at the school with the new recruits.

#5123 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33352 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so I HATE Wolverine but I LOVE Kid Omega, will I like Wolverine & the X-Men?

#5124 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yes, Wolverine doesn't actually have that much of a focus. Aaron usually centres around Idie, Quentin, Broo, Angel, Kitty, Iceman, Beast, Husk, Warbird etc.

Quentin's definitely one of the main characters.

#5125 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33352 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yes, Wolverine doesn't actually have that much of a focus. Aaron usually centres around Idie, Quentin, Broo, Angel, Kitty, Iceman, Beast, Husk, Warbird etc.

Quentin's definitely one of the main characters.

Ok cool, I enjoy those characters (except maybe Idie)

#5126 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely LOVE X-Treme X-Men, which is odd, considering I don't especially like any of the cast too much.

All-New X-Men was a good read. Love the two new mutants.

WaTXM was okay. Development for NuAngel was interesting.

Didn't enjoy X-Men Legacy, won't be picking it up again.

#5127 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

First X-Men is a f-ing terrible series. The art and writing are atrocious.

#5128 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Read it, too. It was okay, if anything. Not sure how Iceman's theory ties-in to Beast dragging the O5 back to the present, because Scott isn't attempting to commit mutant genocide, he's attempting to put things right but with a little flavor while doing so. Heck, i'm not even sure why that would be a good enough reason to mess with the time-space continuum anyways. Unless i'm not reading into it as much as i should. Dialogue's still silly, but it was good. I like the two New Mutants, but their powers are in no way original (even if we haven't exactly seen the extent to which they can be of use, both of them.)

We basically have another Elixir and Sway/Tempo

Ain't read Legacy yet, but uh...hmm.

Also, why the f*ck are you reading First X-Men ?

LOL.

#5129 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

Read it, too. It was okay, if anything. Not sure how Iceman's theory ties-in to Beast dragging the O5 back to the present, because Scott isn't attempting to commit mutant genocide, he's attempting to put things right but with a little flavor while doing so. Heck, i'm not even sure why that would be a good enough reason to mess with the time-space continuum anyways. Unless i'm not reading into it as much as i should. Dialogue's still silly, but it was good. I like the two New Mutants, but their powers are in no way original (even if we haven't exactly seen the extent to which they can be of use, both of them.)

LOL.

Not sure how I felt about Iceman's characterisation, actually. He seemed too whiny, maybe that's just how he feels after AvX. Still, sort of understandable. Scott kills their mentor and goes around fighting police and referencing things like "Children of the Atom", very Magneto.

At least whiny Beast now has some grounding with the devolution plot point.

I think the fact that Bobby and Hank are so polarized against Scott is due to the fact that they used to be so close to him, but that person no longer exists. He's died and has been replaced with this radical reflection. They feel he's betraying Xavier's dream, something their friendship and lives has been based on.

"Mutant Genocide" is the worst that could happen, it's typical Beast being overdramatic. I suppose he's desperate.

At least they're decent powers. Not like Insect-Boy and Eye-Boy in WaTXM. As you said, we don't know exactly what they can do.

First X-Men is the biggest pile of crap I think I've ever read. It genuinely makes me angry. I can let a few mischaracterisations slide, but this is just AWFUL.

#5130 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Oh, yeah, Gage's X-Men Legacy was utter crap.

Damn, yeah. It's a shame she's still depowered, but I suppose too much has happened since M-Day to reintroduce her - she hasn't featured in anything for years, although I'd love if she was. I was hoping that Hellion, Surge, Mercury, Dust, Cuckoos etc would leave the school and follow Cyclops. Hellion's viewpoint seems especially aligned with Scott's new line of action, Surge and Dust didn't want to be at the school anyway and supported Cyclops before AvX. They seem a little too old to be in that "school". Not sure about Anole, Rockslide, Glob Herman, Match, Ernst, No-Girl etc. Hopefully Elixir could join them too!

Oya, Genesis, Broo, Quentine Quire can stay at the school with the new recruits.

None of the kids are ready to take on the heat and threats that Cyclops team will be tackling. Marvel has pushed the more popular of them into action to push sales while ignoring the relative inexperience (even the New Mutants had a lot more training before "graduating" to X-Force). Scott not involving any of the kids is him showing good judgement.

#5131 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Absolutely LOVE X-Treme X-Men, which is odd, considering I don't especially like any of the cast too much.

remember this?????

@danhimself said:

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself said:

I think I'm gonna like Xtreme X-men

It was a decent first issue, not sure if I'll continue reading.

it's one of those books where I have to see where it goes...I like the concept and the plot so far so we'll see

That's true. I'd still rather stick to Uncanny X-Force, WatXM and X-Factor, try out one or two of the new Marvel NOW! titles and keep the DC and Image titles I'm currently reading.

#5132 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Ha, how long ago was that? July?

@Brazen_Intellect:

I'd argue that the likes of Hellion, Surge and Prodigy are more than ready, but a valid point, nonetheless. Certainly more experienced than the new recruits.

#5133 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: around 3 months ago I think....I went digging as soon as I saw your post lol

#5134 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@John Valentine: around 3 months ago I think....I went digging as soon as I saw your post lol

The last three issues have been much better than the first three. Well, actually, the series has steadily got better. It reminds me of the original Exiles series.

Age of Apocalypse is another good Alt.Reality title, but it's considerably darker. Reads better in trade, too.

#5135 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself said:

The last three issues have been much better than the first three. Well, actually, the series has steadily got better. It reminds me of the original Exiles series.

Age of Apocalypse is another good Alt.Reality title, but it's considerably darker. Reads better in trade, too.

agreed...it's really given me a new appreciation of Dazzler though

Age of Apocalypse is one of those titles that I like but for some reason I can never remember what happened in the previous issue...I'm definitely going to have to go back and reread the series here soon

#5136 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself:

Never cared for her before.

I think Age of Apocalypse will probably last for another half year/year.

#5137 Posted by danhimself (22535 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself:

Never cared for her before.

I think Age of Apocalypse will probably last for another half year/year.

for me it wasn't that I didn't care for her it was that I didn't care about her but she's been one of the reasons that I like Extreme so much

I can definitely agree with that

#5138 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

LOL.

Not sure how I felt about Iceman's characterisation, actually. He seemed too whiny, maybe that's just how he feels after AvX. Still, sort of understandable. Scott kills their mentor and goes around fighting police and referencing things like "Children of the Atom", very Magneto.

At least whiny Beast now has some grounding with the devolution plot point.

I think the fact that Bobby and Hank are so polarized against Scott is due to the fact that they used to be so close to him, but that person no longer exists. He's died and has been replaced with this radical reflection. They feel he's betraying Xavier's dream, something their friendship and lives has been based on.

"Mutant Genocide" is the worst that could happen, it's typical Beast being overdramatic. I suppose he's desperate.

At least they're decent powers. Not like Insect-Boy and Eye-Boy in WaTXM. As you said, we don't know exactly what they can do.

First X-Men is the biggest pile of crap I think I've ever read. It genuinely makes me angry. I can let a few mischaracterisations slide, but this is just AWFUL.

Lol. I remember Bendis forcing Iceman to go all preachy on Scott during AvX 11. Yeah, that's Bendis. Was probably building from then or something, but it sounded stupid then, as well as now.

Feel sorry for Beast. Won't be surprised if Bendis ends up offing him, somehow.

WaTXM is a pile of trash. Got the latest issue and i wasn't that much impressed. Not sure why Marvel's going down this route of having characters commit genocidal destruction then proceed to literally wipe their slates clean within the blink of an eye (NuAngel/Jean Grey). I'm more annoyed with the fact that this is just low-level recycling, use another, more interesting character out of that convoluted cast to go down this 'save the new mutants' path instead of Angel. He's boring.

#5139 Posted by Rickbarry (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Preach, brudda.

I read All New X-men in my local comic store and bought Gambit shortly thereafter. Aside from perhaps Storm I kind of feel like this team is X-men lite. I'm not a huge fan of any of the mainstay characters and am already wanting to read the first issue of Uncanny. Although the best part of the comic would be the Cable and X-force tease at the back of the book. I inner monologued it with the super deep voice trailer guy. You know...the one from the 90's?

#5140 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane:

I'm growing less and less fond of WaTXM. The novelty is wearing off and it seems childish and silly.

I much prefer Blacklixir and Evie to any mutants, save Genesis, that have been created in the last few years.

#5141 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how I feel about the ending of Uncanny X-Force 34.

But, I think I kind of like it.

Not happy that Darkholme remained a traitor. No redemption.

The Daken death was kind of touching.

It's nice that Genesis didn't fall to the dark side, though. Just wish he'd messed Sabretooth up some more.

#5142 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Treme X-Men is one of the absolute bests.

#5143 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

God damn do I love the art for Uncanny Avengers. On a side note, X-treme X-men continues to be horrendous.

#5144 Posted by Trapaceira (46 posts) - - Show Bio

paralelepipado

#5145 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh goodness. Those preview pages for Cable and X-Force are inexplicably stunning. Cannot wait for it all the more.

Larroca </3.

#5146 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

X-Treme X-Men is one of the absolute bests.

True.

@AgeofHurricane said:

Oh goodness. Those preview pages for Cable and X-Force are inexplicably stunning. Cannot wait for it all the more.

Larroca </3.

Looking forward to it.

#5147 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol Wow, Bendis.

If the Emma that appeared in ANXM #3 doesn't turn out to be Mystique or some ish' by the end of this endeavor...well lol.

#5149 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Lol Wow, Bendis.

If the Emma that appeared in ANXM #3 doesn't turn out to be Mystique or some ish' by the end of this endeavor...well lol.

So far, this has to be the one major flaw in All-New X-Men. I've liked everything else, and even the rest of the issue was good (such as seeing Magneto lose his cool a bit with Scott), but Bendis needs a serious course in how to write Emma.

Perhaps read some Whedon material from Astonishing X-Men or Morrison's New X-Men. :P

I'm not quite sold on his 'happy go luck Illyana Rasputin intertwined with random sassy-blonde chick from Beverly Hills" either. I wasn't expecting anything, but i cannot believe Marvel has left such a sought after flagship in the hands of Bendis. This issue read like it was written through his phone or something ffs.

Also clear proof that he failed to check in with Gillen regarding the events of Consequences, clear proof that he didn't even READ Consequences.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.