Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Gambit's deck of cards...

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This past winter break I was playing lots of card games (went to a cabin in the mountains for two weeks), and it got me thinking about Gambit and his signature choice of "weapon": his cards. I wonder how many deck of cards Gambit has gone through in his life? Or for that matter does he buy any sort of cards or are they a specific brand? Just a random thought...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

He prolly buys them in bulk.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

He prolly buys them in bulk.

Ha. SAMs or Costco membership...

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@papad1992:

Gambit's probably used to be a gambler, so......

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This past winter break I was playing lots of card games (went to a cabin in the mountains for two weeks), and it got me thinking about Gambit and his signature choice of "weapon": his cards. I wonder how many deck of cards Gambit has gone through in his life? Or for that matter does he buy any sort of cards or are they a specific brand? Just a random thought...

if you pay attention to the art, pretty much any time he throws a bunch of cards, there's at least one Ace of Spades in there. Other cards like the Queen of Hearts also come up as often as is symbolically relevant to the story. Based on this, I don't think he even uses full decks so much as random bunches of cards that he likes.

And that he likes Motorhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he just steals them. This is Gambit after all.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7  Edited By McKlayn

there were cards on sale for 50 cent a pack at the dollar store the other day, maybe he uses those <.<

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

there were cards on sale for 50 cent a pack at the dollar store the other day, maybe he uses those <.<

He mostly uses Aces, thats alot of other cards waste. He should use the whole pack but seeing a light up number 2 card is just silly.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could have sworn he picks up a particular kind. Now this is going to bug me until I confirm this. :/

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah I've noticed that he uses aces too a lot (in most of the comics I have).

@mcklayn said:

He mostly uses Aces, thats alot of other cards waste. He should use the whole pack but seeing a light up number 2 card is just silly.

A flying number 2 card is no less silly than a flying number 3 card. Maybe he saves the more appealing and symbolic cards for fights and the rest of the deck for doors and leave notes on! :P

SleightOfHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really he should be doing the opposite - throwing the low-numbered cards and keeping the aces and face cards. It's much easier to cheat with a spare ace up your sleeve than with a spare four.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would it be cooler if he started using chess pieces like mini-grenades or would that be too similar to Tabitha's powerset?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mn_logan said:

I'm sure he just steals them. This is Gambit after all.

bingo

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#14  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@phoenixofthetides said:

Would it be cooler if he started using chess pieces like mini-grenades or would that be too similar to Tabitha's powerset?

but Gambit doesn't strike me as a chess player. I see him more as a card player. plus cards are easier to carry than chess players (can carry more)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lykopis

Originally Gambit used these dart looking thingees (that's the best way I can describe them) and it evolved to the use of cards which was a good decision. While the Queen of Hearts is drawn with him in covers, etc, it was mostly the Joker cards (along with Ace of Spades) that were used in his fights. Just a play on him being a ladies' man, and for me, a representation of his love for Rogue.

I haven't figured out what deck of cards he prefers (if there is one at all) and although it's been bugging me something fierce, I'm giving up. Maybe I saw it in a dream or something. ;)

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lykopis: I think in the 90's cartoon he went to a store and asked for certain cards but again I can't be sure. Was a long time ago I watched it.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah I've noticed that he uses aces too a lot (in most of the comics I have).

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@mcklayn said:

A flying number 2 card is no less silly than a flying number 3 card. Maybe he saves the more appealing and symbolic cards for fights and the rest of the deck for doors and leave notes on! :P

No the joke was "Flaming number 2" card. XD

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

@lykopis: I think in the 90's cartoon he went to a store and asked for certain cards but again I can't be sure. Was a long time ago I watched it.

GAHHHHHHHHHH. O_O

I think you're right -- bells are going off. Now I am back to obsessing over this...

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JonSmith

He probably separates and organizes his card's into two piles 'special occasions', and 'general use'. Blowing up doors, or thugs, or just general ammunition? That all comes from general use, and is composed of 2 to 10's. The special occasions deck is composed of Aces, Kings, Queen's, and Jack's. That deck is solely used for dramatic flair or tricks. Or cheating.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@mcklayn said:

No the joke was "Flaming number 2" card. XD

... -_-

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.