Favorite X-Men Artist?

#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Which artist from the X-Men comics did you enjoyed the best?

For me, I really loved Jim Lee's artwork on X-Men: Mutant Genesis as it was so beautiful and really portrayed the action scenes so well. I also loved John Cassaday's artwork on Astonishing X-Men and John Byrne's artwork on Chris Claremont's original run of X-Men.

#2 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#3 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim lee is the best xmen artist, then itd be byrne followed by john cassaday an then frank quitely

#4 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim lee. I really like Staurt Immonen as well.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Bachalo is my personal favorite. His style is so chaotic and graffiti influenced, I feel it fits the X-Men universe very well

#6 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim lee is the best xmen artist, then itd be byrne followed by john cassaday an then frank quitely

Definitely agree!

#7 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10008 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a few that I really like and can't say who is a favorite. The most recent is Phil Briones (Uncanny X-Force) but I also like Larocca, Brooks, Bianchi and Molina.

#8 Posted by JROCK72 (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn between Greg Land and Andrea Di Vito. I'm a huge fan of both of their artwork.

#9 Edited by Squares (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

Phil Nolto.

#10 Posted by WeaponCatfish1 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

1. jim lee

2. john byrne

3. kubert bros

4. larocca

5. immomen

6. lenil francis yu

7. joe mad

not any actual order just the guys styles that are worth mentioning....jim lee is the best though

#11 Edited by judasnixon (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

Marc Silvestri.......

#12 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4255 posts) - - Show Bio

Which artist from the X-Men comics did you enjoyed the best?

For me, I really loved Jim Lee's artwork on X-Men: Mutant Genesis as it was so beautiful and really portrayed the action scenes so well. I also loved John Cassaday's artwork on Astonishing X-Men and John Byrne's artwork on Chris Claremont's original run of X-Men.

For me it changes over time. I remember that Jim Lee and Joe Madureira were my favorites when I got into the comics as a kid, but I don't really care much for either of their work now. Most of Joe Mad's stuff after '94 or '95 really bugs me, actually, while Jim Lee's stuff just all still looks the same. I sort of have the same problem with both of them, though, in that they rely so heavily on their surface styles that there doesn't seem to be a lot of individuality between the characters.

John Romita Jr.

Then there are artists who I didn't really appreciate at the time but love now, like John Romita Jr., Paul Smith, or Alan Davis. To me, these guys are the true masters among X-men artists, who I just seem to appreciate more and more as time goes on.

Paul Smith

There's a lot of contemporary artists I enjoy just as much as those guys, like John Cassaday, Olivier Coipel, Stuart Immonen, Frazer Irving and Daniel Acuña, but almost all of them are too different to compare.

#14 Posted by devilsgrin81 (535 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always loved Salvador Larocca.

I have a soft spot for Greg Land... only because as impractically posed as it is, it is STUNNING. Every character looks magnificent. A paragon of physical perfection. Love it.

Also love the story-telling greatness of the art from Chris Bachalo... it's perhaps more stylised than i usually like, but from him, there's so much detail even in the edges, not just the focus.

#15 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10008 posts) - - Show Bio

Marc Silvestri.......

Agreed x 2 - But isn't the first image David Yardin?

#16 Edited by Roddy010 (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of Olivier Copiel is saddening.

#17 Posted by Aeron_Glyndwr (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

Olivier Coipel, Chris Bachalo, Mike Choi/Sonia Oback

#18 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Bachalo is my personal favorite. His style is so chaotic and graffiti influenced, I feel it fits the X-Men universe very well

I couldn't have said it better myself.

(+)

#19 Posted by judasnixon (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

@thunderbolt30: Could be.... I just pulled it off of the Marc Silvestri page.....

#20 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10008 posts) - - Show Bio

@roddy010 said:

The lack of Olivier Copiel is saddening.

YES! I must have had a brain fart to not include him. He is MOS DEF a fave!

#21 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

That's very difficult; it's like answering what's my favorite sorbet. I have eight artists that have held my imagination for years:

Arthur Adams

John Byrne

*Note: First image is from Claremont's original plan for how the Dark Phoenix Saga would end. Very different from what ended up happening in canon. That comic is actually available if you can track it down.

Alan Davis

Bill Sienkiewicz

Jim Lee

Olivier Coipiel

Brett Blevins

Honorable Mention goes to Alex Ross

#22 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4255 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixofthetides:

.......Brett......Blevins???

Some artists excel in certain things but that guy was horrid in his New Mutants run, he drew lots of lines in their faces for teenagers, they all looked like weird squishy middle aged people, I have known freshman in art school that could pencil better than that. In fact, that title dropped in sales massively when he and Simonson took over. Perhaps he was just starting out, and maybe he is leagues better now...but, his New Mutants run. Bleh.

I mean, your opinion is you opinion and I am not trying to change it or argue it or anything. I just saw Blevins on here and something snapped in my mind. Sorry, lol.

Along with Sinkeiwicz I think Leonardi was one of the premier New Mutants artists

#24 Posted by Cutter (704 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Jim Lee and Chris Claremont (but loved Jim Lee better)...not only because they created the Acolytes, but because they are an incredible artists. I agree, Jim did a good job in the X-Men: Genesis, it was completely stunning.

#25 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

@cutter said:

I would say Jim Lee and Chris Claremont (but loved Jim Lee better)...not only because they created the Acolytes, but because they are an incredible artists. I agree, Jim did a good job in the X-Men: Genesis, it was completely stunning.

Chris Claremont isn't an artist. He is a writer.

#26 Posted by Cutter (704 posts) - - Show Bio

@cutter said:

Chris Claremont isn't an artist. He is a writer.

well then he's an incredible writer...and glad to see him back with Nightcrawler ongoing solo...

#27 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: To each his own. Once Bret Blevins got warmed up and familiar with the characters, I tend to think that his art was kinetic and the cartoony edge fit the New Mutants' age. And I had the opposite opinion - I've always appreciated that everyone looked different. Sam and Danielle, slender, tall and skinny characters, had more lines on their faces to symbolize their angular features, while Magik, Rahne and Doug, younger characters, tended to have smoother, less angular faces. It always seemed to me as if every character had a personality.

I especially appreciated his work on Ucanny X-Men 219; the pencils remind me of the sketches used for animated movies - there is a sense of movement. And look at that 2nd panel - he made sure to show the flow of action. Third and fourth panel just shows another example of how he made sure every face was different - you wouldn't mistake Storm and Psylocke for each other considering how he rendered their facial structure. Compared to many current artists, whose renderings of female characters often have the same face and build with minor differences in facial features (even Jim Lee was somewhat guilty of that...but we don't mind because his people were so great looking and detailed), and the level of character-specific detail is impressive. And I'm a big fan of the New Mutants 2nd round of graduation costumes going into the Gosamyr storyline, so I have a soft spot for his New Mutants run.

#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4255 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: To each his own. Once Bret Blevins got warmed up and familiar with the characters, I tend to think that his art was kinetic and the cartoony edge fit the New Mutants' age. And I had the opposite opinion - I've always appreciated that everyone looked different. ... he made sure every face was different - you wouldn't mistake Storm and Psylocke for each other considering how he rendered their facial structure. Compared to many current artists, whose renderings of female characters often have the same face and build with minor differences in facial features (even Jim Lee was somewhat guilty of that...but we don't mind because his people were so great looking and detailed), and the level of character-specific detail is impressive. And I'm a big fan of the New Mutants 2nd round of graduation costumes going into the Gosamyr storyline, so I have a soft spot for his New Mutants run.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. Jim Lee's a great artist if you like every character having the same face and body type.

Which, as much as I enjoy his style, makes him a much worse story artist than most of his contemporaries.

#29 Posted by darthphoenix (653 posts) - - Show Bio

JIMLEE

ARTHUR ADAMS

i still cant believe john romita jr is a comics artist.

#30 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: To each his own. Once Bret Blevins got warmed up and familiar with the characters, I tend to think that his art was kinetic and the cartoony edge fit the New Mutants' age. And I had the opposite opinion - I've always appreciated that everyone looked different. Sam and Danielle, slender, tall and skinny characters, had more lines on their faces to symbolize their angular features, while Magik, Rahne and Doug, younger characters, tended to have smoother, less angular faces. It always seemed to me as if every character had a personality.

I especially appreciated his work on Ucanny X-Men 219; the pencils remind me of the sketches used for animated movies - there is a sense of movement. And look at that 2nd panel - he made sure to show the flow of action. Third and fourth panel just shows another example of how he made sure every face was different - you wouldn't mistake Storm and Psylocke for each other considering how he rendered their facial structure. Compared to many current artists, whose renderings of female characters often have the same face and build with minor differences in facial features (even Jim Lee was somewhat guilty of that...but we don't mind because his people were so great looking and detailed), and the level of character-specific detail is impressive. And I'm a big fan of the New Mutants 2nd round of graduation costumes going into the Gosamyr storyline, so I have a soft spot for his New Mutants run.

Before I disagree with you, I just want to say I agree with what you said about artists drawing characters, particularly women, all looking the same (f**king Dodsons!! lol) I always thought it funny that all the women in X-Men always have the same figure so they are always drawn with different colored, or distinct hairdos to tell the apart in black and white. I mean, purple, pink, blue, white, red, brown and white, there is an X-female that possesses everyone of those colors, and I always imagined it was due to lack of difference in the rest of the physical appearance.

All those pictures you posted ared admittedly good, but those are also from when he was filling in on X-Men when they were looking for a steady artist, he probably had lots of time to do those. His New Mutants run, when he was the regular artist was terrible. The renderings of characters were completely flat and two dimensional, everyone looked like exaggerated cartoon characters, also, he did draw certain characters similarly, both Illyana and Dani would have the same hairstyle, and they were even drawn kind of similar, the way he drew hair on some characters heads looked like they had an extra foot of skull.....so weird. Look at the page I posted. Look at the bottom panel....you can't tell me that is pretty bad. What is the deal with Illyanas face?? Why are Magnetos eyebrows half the size of his forehead?? Why does Danis ahnd just disappear into Sams crotch?? lol. Its pretty amateur for a major Marvel title.

Again, art is completely subjective. People like what they like, but sometimes stuff is just obviously bad.

#31 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4255 posts) - - Show Bio

JIMLEE

ARTHUR ADAMS

i still cant believe john romita jr is a comics artist.

pfft.. really?

I know some people don't care for his surface style, but he really is a great artist.

from what I've seen (probably hundreds of issues by both) he's a much better artist than Jim Lee.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.