Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Favorite Movies RESULTS: Bryan Singer's X2 vs. X-Men: Days of Future Past

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The future of the X-Men Cinematic Universe has never looked better. We have Apocalypse on the horizon and it's clear Fox wants to take a chance and make a big push with more of the mutants. But instead of looking forward, this week, we wanted you all to look back at Bryan Singer's work with the franchise. We all have our favorite X-Men movie, but we decided to place Singer's X2: X-Men UnitedandX-Men: Days of Future Past in the spotlight. Did the community side with Singer's sequel which focused on Wolverine and introduced Nightcrawler or did they support the franchise's latest effort about trying to prevent a dark future? Well, it turns out a pretty large majority sided with X-Men: Days of Future Past!

Poster by Richard Davies
    Poster by Richard Davies

Sure, the movie is loaded with characters, but the film wisely decided to really focus on just a handful of them. And while Wolverine is technically the lead character once again, the movie manages to spend much of its attention on Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique.Yes, the mutants in the future had basically no dialogue, but we were still able to learn about them as they utilized their powers in this bleak future and did everything they could to survive against an onslaught of advanced Sentinels. Plus, they did a great job showing off Blink's cool powers. On top of that, a fair amount of the performances -- most notably from James McAvoy -- were especially compelling.

It feels safe to say many of us were dead wrong about Quicksilver, too. Many of us thought Evan Peters looked silly when the first images of him in his costume were released, but his scenes were a total blast and, for some, the highlight of the entire movie. While the movie did have a more serious tone, they managed to sprinkle in just the right amount of humor to prevent it from feeling too dire. Last but most certainly not least, this movie has put the franchise in a whole new direction, so that's definitely exciting. Now, since Days of Future Past received more than enough love in the poll, let's see why some Comic Viners decided to side with X2: X-Men United.

No Caption Provided

IllyanaRasputi

"X2 hands down. DOFP wasn't anything special, it was basically what was expected. Nothing amazing happened throughout the entire film - I don't even think the Quicksilver scene was amazing like everyone else. The thing that really bothered me about DOFP was the urgency of saving the future yet no one in the past, especially Wolverine was urgent. It didn't feel real, it didn't feel like they were fighting to save the future. It was pretty nonchalant and I just wasn't buying it.

X2 had great character development and introduced an amazing cast. I loved Stryker, he's a great villain one of my favourites. His hatred for mutants is just so deep and the fact they touched based on his own son being a mutant even though its just the movie verse, I just loved it. Nightcrawler hands down is a better character than Blink (from what we've seen in the film). There was no character to Blink, there were possibilities but she was just a bad ass teleporter, we got to see Nightcrawler develop from attacking the president, to his religion and his belief in faith even though to most people mutants were an abomination. Plus Colossus' drawing of Rogue kissing bobby ftw. Just wish we got to see a more bad ass Rogue instead of seeing only Bobby and Pyro's character develop."

No Caption Provided

TheAcidSkull

"I know I'll get eaten for this, but I preferred X2 in all honesty. While Future past was definitely a powerhouse in terms of X movies, there was always something about X2 which I really enjoyed. Wolverine was still seeking his identity, Striker was a very cool villain, the story was interesting, the action was spectacular, and the list goes on. Plus I enjoyed the cast a bit more, because in DoFP essentially only two characters were developing, Raven and Charles, in X2 we had Wolverine, Rogue, Bobby, Pyro, Charles, Magneto and Nightcralwer( Who was awesome by the way) all dealing with their own stuff.

I loved both movies though, nice matchup."

No Caption Provided

G_leno

"X2. Wolverine VS Deathstrike, Nightcrawler VS white house security and the school invasion were all so good. The only thing that came close in DoFP is Quicksilver's job in the pentagon."

Here's the poll's results.

• X-Men: Days of Future Past 60%
    • X2: X-Men United 20%
    • I love both of them 15%
    • Sorry, I'm not a fan of either 3%
    • It brings me great shame to admit I haven't watched both and won't be able to before Friday 2%
    No Caption Provided

That's it for this week, Viners! Be sure to check the homepage on Monday for a brand new edition of this segment (it's between two animated movies!). In the meantime, go ahead and tell us your favorite scene in either of these X-Men movies. Also, if you want to suggest a future match-up for this segment, go ahead and tell us below or reach out via twitter.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

First!

Glad to see DoFP won. I loved the film.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I totally called Quicksilver being great

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Why was no Pro DoFP argument posted? Whateves, it won anyway in a stomp

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Now, since Days of Future Past received more than enough love in the poll, let's see why some Comic Viners decided to side with X2: X-Men United."

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hugh looks cool younger.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@k4tzm4n said:

@saint_wildcard said:

"Now, since Days of Future Past received more than enough love in the poll, let's see why some Comic Viners decided to side with X2: X-Men United."

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Avatar image for depressed_insomniac
    Depressed_Insomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are all mediocre

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RustyRoy
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

Hugh looks cool younger.

Hugh is a sexy, sexy man.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jonny_anonymous:

Not me, I thought Quicksilver was gonna be TERRIBLE lol. You know what won me over though? His cheeseburger commercial, you know, the one that everybody hates? Yup, won me over and I was like "Okay, he's gonna be cool in the movie."

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@clawfist said:

@jonny_anonymous:

Not me, I thought Quicksilver was gonna be TERRIBLE lol. You know what won me over though? His cheeseburger commercial, you know, the one that everybody hates? Yup, won me over and I was like "Okay, he's gonna be cool in the movie."

Haha really?

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Well I mean, I didn't think he was gonna be terrible IN the movie. I usually try to reserve my judgement for when I see the character in action, but his look just so completely threw me off that I didn't think he was gonna be as awesome as he turned out. But I dunno man, I saw that commercial and I just saw his acting chops and the display of his speed power and was like "O-kay, he's gonna be pretty cool." Haha

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clawfist: I think a lot of people were threw off because they weren't thinking about it in context, they just seen how he was dressed and thought it was stupid but when you think about it he's a teenage growing up in the 1970's and that is exactly how he would dress.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X-men are the main reason I have been reading comics for well over 30 years. That being said, I do not like any of these movies at all. Marvel has hit it out of the park as far as the Avengers are concerned, but Fox has botched the X-men badly IMO.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for DOFP beacuse of Quicksilver. Evan Peter really won me with his performance, a week after the movie i started to watch American Horror Story. Right now i'm on season 3

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Yeah, that's where my mind went when actually watching the movie. Well it's back in time, so he's a younger Quicksilver, so whatever. I did wish his and Wanda's ages were closer than they were, but that's just a nitpick. I'm glad they made a fleeting connection with Quicksilver and Magneto, as a fan that's all I really need in some cases. A fleeting line or sign of recognition here and there that shows some acknowledgement. That would of been awesome between say Juggernaut and Xavier in X3. Kitty having a new power, if you're gonna do that, tell me something, don't just give her a new power. Heck they have the FF liscence, they could of used Franklin if they wanted to, and Rachel like in the book. Again, those are just nitpicks. All an all, I really enjoyed the movie.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clawfist: The way I rationalize Kitty's power is that normally she can phase solid mass through other solid mass but in the future her power has evolved in a way where she can movie thoughts through UN-solid mass aka anti-matter which theoretically would let you travel back in time.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Be sure to check the homepage on Monday for a brand new edition of this segment (it's between two animated movies!)

Anyone care to take a guess? ;)

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By jonny1995

You guys should do a future match-up on which Ant-Man is the best.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, wait for the dust to settle, X2 will be the better remembered in 20 years time.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Yeah, I tried to rationalize it that way too, but in end... naw lol it just didn't work for me. I don't wanna come up with a reason she can use time travel powers, I want a reason. If that makes sense.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@rustyroy said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I totally called Quicksilver being great

So did I :)

hahah it's so funny. Everyone was sh*tting of Quicksilver so bad (mainly because how ridiculous he looked) before the movie came out. Now, he's one of the best things about the movie. Now it's Marvels turn. Lets see how their Quicksilver turns out.

Rangerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it's all a personal choice. Either movie is good, but I like other movies better.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

As long as we're talking about great X-Men movies (well, technically it was a pilot)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

This latest incarnation of the X-Men very, very pleasantly surprised me. It is what the X-Men films should have been from the get-go. The action sequences, character builds and overall special effects were far more loyal to the books and the characters power-sets and overall "look" and feel than previous incarnations. (Iceman ice slide FTW!!! WOOT!)

If only its predecessors were more in line with what DoFP delivered, I wouldn't gripe for a second. Alas, such is not the case. I found X2 extremely lack luster in comparison. In fact, the first three films are a blemish on both X-Men First Class and Days of Future Past IMHO. The two only good X-films in existence really. (The Wolverine was not terrible, but a letdown all the same with the Silver Samurai plot twist and the "broken" adamantium etc. etc.).

The "reboot" (i.e. the ending - without giving away too many spoilers) left a lot of leeway for future projects starting from scratch too.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Both are really good films, but I liked Days of Future Past more. I will admit that these two movies are definitely two of the best of superhero films ever made so far. Bryan Singer has been doing a fine job.

blh726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am kind of surprised DOFP won by so many votes. If it wasn't for the scene when Wolverine wakes up at end and seeing the old cast return, I wouldn't have liked it that much. I feel that most of the stuff in the 70s dragged and was kind of dull. It was cool watching once to see original cast return, but I have no desire to watch it again and again. I would rank it 5th amongst the X-Men movies.

1. X2

2. First Class

3. The Wolverine

4. X-Men

5. DOFP

6. The Last Stand (very distant 6th place, responsible for almost destroying the franchise)

7. Origins: Wolverine

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm the only person who didn't love Quicksilver. Sure, his scene in the Pentagon was great, but he was incredibly underutilized. As for his look, I could've dealt with it if his hair didn't look like a cheap wig... That said, I still loved DoFP, I just think the action scenes in the future did a lot more to sell me on it than Evan Peters.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both here's my ranking:
    1.X-2
    2. First Class
    3. X-men
    4. Days of Future past
    5. The Wolverine
    6. Last stand
    7. Origins: Wolverine

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

x2 was the better film

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@k4tzm4n: I'll take a guess...is it Flashpoint Paradox and Justice League War? Marvel got love in a team segment and DC has no live action equivalent so I'm going with those two.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I love both X2 and DOFP. I'd really have to rewatch both a few times to see if I like one better than the other.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TBEMrMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Winter_Kills

Um neither. I feel like Fox is just making the movies for this:

No Caption Provided

Make Mine Marvel Studios!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X-men are the main reason I have been reading comics for well over 30 years. That being said, I do not like any of these movies at all. Marvel has hit it out of the park as far as the Avengers are concerned, but Fox has botched the X-men badly IMO.

This is how I feel 100%. I dream of the day Marvel Studios can get the rights and make a freakin' awesome X-Men movie. Maybe in 2045 Fox will let up & Marvel Studios can play ball & create a truly epic X-Men film.

THOR-tastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear that the film is brilliant and awesome, I really want to watch the film.

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 122

these are his only good films

Superman Returns SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 122

@iron_fist_angel said:

This is how I feel 100%. I dream of the day Marvel Studios can get the rights and make a freakin' awesome X-Men movie. Maybe in 2045 Fox will let up & Marvel Studios can play ball & create a truly epic X-Men film.

same with Spider-man

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottyhawkeye:

I hear ya, man. There would be a lot more potential from Spidey in the hands of Marvel Studios. Both Spidey & the X-Men have those epic films in 'em- it just takes Marvel Studios to make 'em. The same way with Fantastic Four, too. Marvel Studios could provide us a great FF film and cast someone as Doc Doom that captures all the epic villainy he epitomizes.

bigfoot09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clayscarface: lol what action scenes from the future? You surely can't be talking bout the two, 2min ones?? Lol I'm sorry but they should have and could have done more with the future characters. It still bothers me they had a total of 5min screen time! The future sequences would have made the movie and the action coulda been mind blowing. But they can't take focus away from mystique?? for once wolverine wasn't the problem lol. But I respect ur opinion. Everyone has one. I just would have thought if this was the last time seein the original cast they would have done more with them is all.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reasonable

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.