Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Favorite Era of X-men

Canemacar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Canemacar

What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why?

Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee).

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

The first issue I got was Uncanny 188. This was the time that Rachel came to the X-Men. Rogue was there. Storm lost her powers (and hair to a mohawk). Kitty Pryde came back from Japan with Wolvie and became Shadowcat. We first see Nimrod (pink isn't menacing). I'd say that was my favorite time. Part nostalgia and part...because things were less hectic. There wasn't a gazillion different X-titles going on at the same time. Claremont was doing a decent job.

Second favorite would be Australia after they went through the Siege Perilous and the world thougth they were dead. That was a good line-up: Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Colossus, Havok, Wolverine, Dazzler, and (I think) Longshot.

Chediablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chediablo

mmm

Probably Blue/Gold as well.

The Asteroid M arc from X-Men v2 was what made me get into Mags in the first place.

I really like the whole Claremont era, though. So I'm not so sure.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I think its probably whichever one you read first for most people, for me it was the Claremont/Silvestri run. Blue/Gold a close second.

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ebony Bishop

I like the original "New" X-Men: Banshee, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Cyclops in the lead. When Logan and Kurt played tag in the forest for beer, Storm walked around naked 'cause she didn't know any better, and Banshee was so irish he should have been toting around a box of Lucky Charms.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Prodigal Son

Post Deleted.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Captain Cascader

281 was my very first x-men comic book. I guess I was 12 years old at the time, it was just when Byrne was getting heavily into the series, but I had no idea who the hell he was back then, I just remember how awesome I thought this cover was. It's still one of my all time favorite covers and had the classic team in it.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Prodigal Son

Post Deleted.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Thats crazy I think that exact comic was my first one ever. Then for my birthday my dad bought me a dozen or so of older Uncanny X-Mens from the Claremont and Silvestri era and I was hooked.

Liverwurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Liverwurst

Definitely the team that started with Giant Size X-Men #1 with the mid-80's a close second

asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By asxz

I don't think anyone can touch the work Claremont put into the X-Men althought I liked Grant Morrison's efforts and I really dig what Joss Whedon's been doing.

I find it hard to pick a favourite era although I don't think it would be the fanboy 90s from 281 onwards. Those years were all about silly costumes and big hair and boobs.

I love the early Brood stories with their genuine sense of peril. I love Days of Future Past which had a Dark Knight Returns feel to it first time around and I adore Uncanny 268 with that amazing Jim Lee cover and retro story. It was the first tme I realised that Wolverine's healing factor meant he could be decades older than we thought. Great stuff and a great combination of art and storytelling which went rapidly downhill.

CrazyDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrazyDragon

The blue/gold era

xgeek54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xgeek54

me again...i'm an o5 fan, though the claremont/byrne era defined who they are...

demental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By demental

Without A doubt The Claremont/Byrne/Austin Run Was By Far The Entire Best Run Of Any X-Series By Far And Everyone That Has Followed With Their Own Time On The Titles Has Basically Rehashed What Has Come Before

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

King of Kings says:

"Thats the era that I love, I've always liked comics,but I got into other things. But then I saw a X-Man cover from..I think it was 1994,and I thought I got get that. Thats when Gambit was really popular and so was Omega Red two of my favorite characters.
    " />http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/greg420_photos/GambitXZ1ANIMATEDGif.gif"
    Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sling Shot

Canemacar says:

"What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why? Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee)."

Athoug I have enjoyed other incarnations, holistically I would have to sy this era as quintessential.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

King of Kings says:

"King of Kings says:
    "Thats the era that I love, I've always liked comics,but I got into other things. But then I saw a X-Man cover from..I think it was 1994,and I thought I got get that. Thats when Gambit was really popular and so was Omega Red two of my favorite characters.
    " />http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/greg420_photos/GambitXZ1ANIMATEDGif.gif"

"

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Pania

Mid 1970's through mid 1980's: the best Claremont years. These were the years that defined the X-Men.

Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Akira Overdrive

The Uncanny X-men?

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Ebony Bishop says:

"I like the original "New" X-Men: Banshee, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Cyclops in the lead. When Logan and Kurt played tag in the forest for beer, Storm walked around naked 'cause she didn't know any better, and Banshee was so irish he should have been toting around a box of Lucky Charms."
    I LOVED Blue/Gold. Since my favorite character of ALL TIME is Storm, I'm glad that he gave her a background that made her , well, Storm. By the way, Storm may not have known better in the past, but she does now, and she still goes around naked. She's really not ashamed of her body.
    ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ahumancartoon

Australian outback era

nkyzack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nkyzack

My parents were... frugal... so i didn't get a WHOLE lot of comics as a kid. But when My mom saw me saving my chore money to buy comics and drawing my own and stuff, she bought me like 1-25 of the plain X-men books for christmas. The blue/gold. So i gotta go with that. It wasn't the first X book I ever had but it was the first time I ever got to read full archs. I often bought the Dark Horse Alien or Predator (or crossover) books on accont of not being able to buy ongoing series on a regular bassis. I also got ALOT of Judge Dredds from the dollar box. I'm getting off topic now so i'll shut up. 

Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Blazing Eagle
    asxz said:
    "

I find it hard to pick a favourite era although I don't think it would be the fanboy 90s from 281 onwards. Those years were all about silly costumes and big hair and boobs.

"

Damn Straight, one of the things I love about Jim Lee's art. But your right majority of comics back in the 90's were about Steriod Muscles, and Big boobs. Reference JLA #1 in 96.

Canemacar said:

"

What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why?

Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee).

"

Me too I love the Blue and Gold years.Shatterstar said:

"

I think its probably whichever one you read first for most people, for me it was the Claremont/Silvestri run. Blue/Gold a close second.

"

Your right it is I was like 10 yrs old when I first read the X-men back in 92, and I remember reading the relaunch of X-men #1 that introduced both teams,  I liked it because I got to get a different feel with each title. X-men Blue had mostly scrappers on that team so majority of their battles was espionage and slashing battles.

X-men Gold had more of the power heavy hitters like Bishop, Forge, Colossius, Storm, Archangel and Iceman on that team. Both books offered not only heroics but also soap opera drama at times which I absolutely love. Not to mention in those days the titles crossed over much of the time.

Unfortunately I had to stop collecting X-men in 94 due money problems then life happen, and now at age 25 I am now coming back to X-men,

What is the O5 era? I remember New X-men by Grant Morrison, and the Astonishing era we are in now.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself

the blue/gold stuff was the best...pretty much everything up until the end of the onslaught saga was classic x-men for me after that i think it just went downhill i can't even read the new stuff anymore...although i did just read astonishing 25 today and it seems to me like they're trying to get them back to there roots i can't wait for uncanny 500 and the return of magneto

Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
    The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Absolute
    G~man said:
    "

The first issue I got was Uncanny 188. This was the time that Rachel came to the X-Men. Rogue was there. Storm lost her powers (and hair to a mohawk). Kitty Pryde came back from Japan with Wolvie and became Shadowcat. We first see Nimrod (pink isn't menacing). I'd say that was my favorite time. Part nostalgia and part...because things were less hectic. There wasn't a gazillion different X-titles going on at the same time. Claremont was doing a decent job.

Second favorite would be Australia after they went through the Siege Perilous and the world thougth they were dead. That was a good line-up: Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Colossus, Havok, Wolverine, Dazzler, and (I think) Longshot.

"
    What you said, exactly. And To add: they weren't in costume all the time. and their stories post the dark phoenix saga and days of futures past were sharp and personal. I like the entire run between the opening of Inferno all the way through to the end of the Shi'ar episode and Xavier's return.
    Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Blazing Eagle

magento's returning Man I definitly need to stop double dipping between DC and Marvel and start focusing on my X-men.

danhimself
    said:

"

the blue/gold stuff was the best...pretty much everything up until the end of the onslaught saga was classic x-men for me after that i think it just went downhill i can't even read the new stuff anymore...although i did just read astonishing 25 today and it seems to me like they're trying to get them back to there roots i can't wait for uncanny 500 and the return of magneto

"

I totally agree with you man things just went down the toilet, I mean I hated gRant Morrisons New X-men run. X-treme X-men was ok, but Rogues look (wheww yuck) Bring back her curly hair and voluptous body! I also hated what happen to beast, I understand Psylocke dying even though I missed that her fine ass. Thank god that pussy is back alive again.

So what is the O5 era?   Canemacar talking about anyway.
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IcePrince_X

The Blue/Gold Team they defined the X-Men to the mainstream comics as well as it was the time that the hit cartoon show was being shown and produced. It was the one who first hooked me up with comics.

Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Suigetsu

I liked the era of the animated series back in the 90's, I belice its the blue/gold era if I am right.
    Cause right now its a f*** mess.

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VZA

I agree with the above post.  The era with the blue and gold teams was the best ever.  I personally loved the blue team more and with Jim Lee drawing it... what more could you ask for?

Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Suigetsu

well that was uber, after that everything when straight downhill, btw why did they killed Jean? same goes for psylocke, her storie its now a total mess.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Last_Guardian

late 80's early 90's.....

Jaadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32  Edited By Jaadu

I MISS THE OLD X-men!

my FAVORITE era is during the early 90's (like when blue and gold team were present! and all the COOL mutants were in the x-men...... Psylocke, Jubilee, Storm, Jean, WOLVERINE!........ ALL TOGETHER!)

then my 2nd favorite era is the late 90's with Cecila Reyes (MISS HER!)

3rd favorite era is like the mid 80s/late 80s with wolverine, storm, dazzler, psylocke........ it was fun seeing thing like the morlock massacre (which was actually really sad :/) to the debut of JUBILEE!

other eras i loved were the debut of the new x-men and when the hellfire club debuted!

beastmanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beastmanX
    Suigetsu said:
    "I liked the era of the animated series back in the 90's, I belice its the blue/gold era if I am right.
    Cause right now its a f*** mess.
    "
    i agree with that. my favortie era was 1990s with the the line up from the animated series
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#34  Edited By time1

i my faverite era of x-men was 1990's with the blue team and gold team
    i think the blue was brillant tough, sexy and creative
    i think the gold team was pretty powerful and unique with  the powers they do seem  abit x-men style, they had the originally three x-men, then storm, colossus & bishop.
    my faverite is the blue team out of both they had such good stories and interesting allias and enemies.

i did like age of apcoalypse x-men rogue as the second leader brillant

i did like x-treme x-men, storm leader again

new x-men scott leader again, jean, emma, wolverine and beast

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By John Valentine

Late 1980's to late 1990's, New X-Men Academy X, and X-Factor.

Jaadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#36  Edited By Jaadu
    John Valentine said:
    "Late 1980's to late 1990's, New X-Men Academy X, and X-Factor."
    Agreeeeeeee 100%
    iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iSHADOW

early to mid 90's x-factor and generation x

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ultimate Ronin

my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved.

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ahumancartoon
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved."

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By John Valentine
    ahumancartoon said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved."

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?"
    Damn right.
    ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ahumancartoon
    John Valentine said:
    "ahumancartoon said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?"
    Damn right."
    I remember reading in Wizard before of that started and they made it seem like the AoA was gonna be permanent deal, at the time it threw me for a loop.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#42  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I loved the 80s era where Chris Claremont wrote the majority of the stories and we got great stories like Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Wolverine's storyline in Japan and many more.  I also loved the introduction of the second generation X-Men (Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Banshee).

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#43  Edited By x_29

JOSS WHEDON!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @x_29 said:

JOSS WHEDON!!

I loved that era also!!!
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By One_Eye

I like the early to mid-2000s era myself. About when Morrison and Whedon were writing. Cyclops finally got his due, we saw a much-welcomed change/shake-up in the roster, and received some awesome new villains. Felt like the happy-medium that I had been hoping for since Claremont left.

bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By bamaboykmb
    Counter clockwise Beast, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Cyclops
    Counter clockwise Beast, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Cyclops

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@One_Eye said:

I like the early to mid-2000s era myself. About when Morrison and Whedon were writing. Cyclops finally got his due, we saw a much-welcomed change/shake-up in the roster, and received some awesome new villains. Felt like the happy-medium that I had been hoping for since Claremont left.

Loved the Whedon era too!

@bamaboykmb said:

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

I loved Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men!

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hareil0079

@Captain Cascader said:

281 was my very first x-men comic book. I guess I was 12 years old at the time, it was just when Byrne was getting heavily into the series, but I had no idea who the hell he was back then, I just remember how awesome I thought this cover was. It's still one of my all time favorite covers and had the classic team in it.

Yea, that's my fav. Blue/Gold era. Storm/Cyclops

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Blood1991

70's-90's X-Men were freakin great love it all, but I'm going to go with the Blue/Gold era as my all time favorite. That was my childhood right there.

Especially the Gold team I love those stories.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Daycrawler

Claremont era, 70's to just into the 90's for me. Muthafunking awesomeness that I never tire of reading. Classic characters introduced, amazing stories, great art. Just the right balance of drama, theatrics and action.

Mid to late 90's I've not really read much of, partly due to the fact that the art was sooooooo, so ugly a high percentage of the time. Tit's, ass and muscles everywhere. Ridiculous body proportions (Liiiiiiieeeeefieeeeeld!!!). Stupid poses and no flow to the art in actually telling a story. Pouches, shoulder-pads, belts and huuuuge guns everywhere. It was like a mental mix of Dynasty, Dallas and mutants.

Have loved the 2000's too with Morrison, Whedon, etc and seem to be one of the few (on here anyways) that has loved the recent stuff too. People love to hate the modern era but it's brought us all sorts of awesome with X-Force, Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor, WATXM, Carey's run on Legacy, Gillen on Uncanny and major arcs like Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Angel Saga, Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, etc. I liked House of M and I'm not afraid to say it Goddamnit!

Fraction sucked tho. And Necrosha made me weep at the money I'd wasted on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.