Favorite Era of X-men

#1 Posted by Canemacar (66 posts) - - Show Bio

What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why?

Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee).

#2 Posted by G-Man (30696 posts) - - Show Bio

The first issue I got was Uncanny 188. This was the time that Rachel came to the X-Men. Rogue was there. Storm lost her powers (and hair to a mohawk). Kitty Pryde came back from Japan with Wolvie and became Shadowcat. We first see Nimrod (pink isn't menacing). I'd say that was my favorite time. Part nostalgia and part...because things were less hectic. There wasn't a gazillion different X-titles going on at the same time. Claremont was doing a decent job.

Second favorite would be Australia after they went through the Siege Perilous and the world thougth they were dead. That was a good line-up: Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Colossus, Havok, Wolverine, Dazzler, and (I think) Longshot.

Staff
#3 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

mmm

Probably Blue/Gold as well.

The Asteroid M arc from X-Men v2 was what made me get into Mags in the first place.

I really like the whole Claremont era, though. So I'm not so sure.

#4 Posted by Shatterstar (4522 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its probably whichever one you read first for most people, for me it was the Claremont/Silvestri run. Blue/Gold a close second.

#5 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the original "New" X-Men: Banshee, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Cyclops in the lead. When Logan and Kurt played tag in the forest for beer, Storm walked around naked 'cause she didn't know any better, and Banshee was so irish he should have been toting around a box of Lucky Charms.

#6 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#7 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

281 was my very first x-men comic book. I guess I was 12 years old at the time, it was just when Byrne was getting heavily into the series, but I had no idea who the hell he was back then, I just remember how awesome I thought this cover was. It's still one of my all time favorite covers and had the classic team in it.

Staff
#8 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#9 Posted by Shatterstar (4522 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats crazy I think that exact comic was my first one ever. Then for my birthday my dad bought me a dozen or so of older Uncanny X-Mens from the Claremont and Silvestri era and I was hooked.

#10 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely the team that started with Giant Size X-Men #1 with the mid-80's a close second

#11 Posted by asxz (213 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone can touch the work Claremont put into the X-Men althought I liked Grant Morrison's efforts and I really dig what Joss Whedon's been doing.

I find it hard to pick a favourite era although I don't think it would be the fanboy 90s from 281 onwards. Those years were all about silly costumes and big hair and boobs.

I love the early Brood stories with their genuine sense of peril. I love Days of Future Past which had a Dark Knight Returns feel to it first time around and I adore Uncanny 268 with that amazing Jim Lee cover and retro story. It was the first tme I realised that Wolverine's healing factor meant he could be decades older than we thought. Great stuff and a great combination of art and storytelling which went rapidly downhill.

#12 Posted by CrazyDragon (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The blue/gold era

#13 Posted by xgeek54 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

me again...i'm an o5 fan, though the claremont/byrne era defined who they are...

#14 Posted by demental (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Without A doubt The Claremont/Byrne/Austin Run Was By Far The Entire Best Run Of Any X-Series By Far And Everyone That Has Followed With Their Own Time On The Titles Has Basically Rehashed What Has Come Before

#15 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84652 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Thats the era that I love, I've always liked comics,but I got into other things. But then I saw a X-Man cover from..I think it was 1994,and I thought I got get that. Thats when Gambit was really popular and so was Omega Red two of my favorite characters.
" />http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/greg420_photos/GambitXZ1ANIMATEDGif.gif"
#16 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Canemacar says:

"What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why? Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee)."

Athoug I have enjoyed other incarnations, holistically I would have to sy this era as quintessential.

#17 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84652 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"King of Kings says:
"Thats the era that I love, I've always liked comics,but I got into other things. But then I saw a X-Man cover from..I think it was 1994,and I thought I got get that. Thats when Gambit was really popular and so was Omega Red two of my favorite characters.
" />http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/greg420_photos/GambitXZ1ANIMATEDGif.gif"

"

#18 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Mid 1970's through mid 1980's: the best Claremont years. These were the years that defined the X-Men.

#19 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10075 posts) - - Show Bio

The Uncanny X-men?

#20 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Ebony Bishop says:

"I like the original "New" X-Men: Banshee, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Cyclops in the lead. When Logan and Kurt played tag in the forest for beer, Storm walked around naked 'cause she didn't know any better, and Banshee was so irish he should have been toting around a box of Lucky Charms."
I LOVED Blue/Gold. Since my favorite character of ALL TIME is Storm, I'm glad that he gave her a background that made her , well, Storm. By the way, Storm may not have known better in the past, but she does now, and she still goes around naked. She's really not ashamed of her body.
#21 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Australian outback era

#22 Posted by nkyzack (53 posts) - - Show Bio

My parents were... frugal... so i didn't get a WHOLE lot of comics as a kid. But when My mom saw me saving my chore money to buy comics and drawing my own and stuff, she bought me like 1-25 of the plain X-men books for christmas. The blue/gold. So i gotta go with that. It wasn't the first X book I ever had but it was the first time I ever got to read full archs. I often bought the Dark Horse Alien or Predator (or crossover) books on accont of not being able to buy ongoing series on a regular bassis. I also got ALOT of Judge Dredds from the dollar box. I'm getting off topic now so i'll shut up. 

#23 Posted by Blazing Eagle (280 posts) - - Show Bio
asxz said:
"

I find it hard to pick a favourite era although I don't think it would be the fanboy 90s from 281 onwards. Those years were all about silly costumes and big hair and boobs.

"

Damn Straight, one of the things I love about Jim Lee's art. But your right majority of comics back in the 90's were about Steriod Muscles, and Big boobs. Reference JLA #1 in 96.

Canemacar said:

"

What is your favorite time period of the X-men(Australian, Blue/Gold, O5, All-New, etc) and why?

Personally, my favorite was the Blue/Gold years. It had everyone I consider "core" X-men and some of my favorite writing(Claremont at his peak) and art(Jim Lee).

"

Me too I love the Blue and Gold years.Shatterstar said:

"

I think its probably whichever one you read first for most people, for me it was the Claremont/Silvestri run. Blue/Gold a close second.

"

Your right it is I was like 10 yrs old when I first read the X-men back in 92, and I remember reading the relaunch of X-men #1 that introduced both teams,  I liked it because I got to get a different feel with each title. X-men Blue had mostly scrappers on that team so majority of their battles was espionage and slashing battles.

X-men Gold had more of the power heavy hitters like Bishop, Forge, Colossius, Storm, Archangel and Iceman on that team. Both books offered not only heroics but also soap opera drama at times which I absolutely love. Not to mention in those days the titles crossed over much of the time.

Unfortunately I had to stop collecting X-men in 94 due money problems then life happen, and now at age 25 I am now coming back to X-men,

What is the O5 era? I remember New X-men by Grant Morrison, and the Astonishing era we are in now.

#24 Posted by danhimself (22313 posts) - - Show Bio

the blue/gold stuff was the best...pretty much everything up until the end of the onslaught saga was classic x-men for me after that i think it just went downhill i can't even read the new stuff anymore...although i did just read astonishing 25 today and it seems to me like they're trying to get them back to there roots i can't wait for uncanny 500 and the return of magneto

#25 Posted by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio
G~man said:
"

The first issue I got was Uncanny 188. This was the time that Rachel came to the X-Men. Rogue was there. Storm lost her powers (and hair to a mohawk). Kitty Pryde came back from Japan with Wolvie and became Shadowcat. We first see Nimrod (pink isn't menacing). I'd say that was my favorite time. Part nostalgia and part...because things were less hectic. There wasn't a gazillion different X-titles going on at the same time. Claremont was doing a decent job.

Second favorite would be Australia after they went through the Siege Perilous and the world thougth they were dead. That was a good line-up: Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Colossus, Havok, Wolverine, Dazzler, and (I think) Longshot.

"
What you said, exactly. And To add: they weren't in costume all the time. and their stories post the dark phoenix saga and days of futures past were sharp and personal. I like the entire run between the opening of Inferno all the way through to the end of the Shi'ar episode and Xavier's return.
#26 Posted by Blazing Eagle (280 posts) - - Show Bio

magento's returning Man I definitly need to stop double dipping between DC and Marvel and start focusing on my X-men.

danhimself
said:

"

the blue/gold stuff was the best...pretty much everything up until the end of the onslaught saga was classic x-men for me after that i think it just went downhill i can't even read the new stuff anymore...although i did just read astonishing 25 today and it seems to me like they're trying to get them back to there roots i can't wait for uncanny 500 and the return of magneto

"

I totally agree with you man things just went down the toilet, I mean I hated gRant Morrisons New X-men run. X-treme X-men was ok, but Rogues look (wheww yuck) Bring back her curly hair and voluptous body! I also hated what happen to beast, I understand Psylocke dying even though I missed that her fine ass. Thank god that pussy is back alive again.

So what is the O5 era?   Canemacar talking about anyway.
#27 Posted by IcePrince_X (4856 posts) - - Show Bio

The Blue/Gold Team they defined the X-Men to the mainstream comics as well as it was the time that the hit cartoon show was being shown and produced. It was the one who first hooked me up with comics.

#28 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the era of the animated series back in the 90's, I belice its the blue/gold era if I am right.
Cause right now its a f*** mess.

#29 Posted by VZA (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the above post.  The era with the blue and gold teams was the best ever.  I personally loved the blue team more and with Jim Lee drawing it... what more could you ask for?

#30 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

well that was uber, after that everything when straight downhill, btw why did they killed Jean? same goes for psylocke, her storie its now a total mess.

#31 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

late 80's early 90's.....

#32 Posted by Jaadu (537 posts) - - Show Bio

I MISS THE OLD X-men!

my FAVORITE era is during the early 90's (like when blue and gold team were present! and all the COOL mutants were in the x-men...... Psylocke, Jubilee, Storm, Jean, WOLVERINE!........ ALL TOGETHER!)

then my 2nd favorite era is the late 90's with Cecila Reyes (MISS HER!)

3rd favorite era is like the mid 80s/late 80s with wolverine, storm, dazzler, psylocke........ it was fun seeing thing like the morlock massacre (which was actually really sad :/) to the debut of JUBILEE!

other eras i loved were the debut of the new x-men and when the hellfire club debuted!

#33 Posted by beastmanX (285 posts) - - Show Bio
Suigetsu said:
"I liked the era of the animated series back in the 90's, I belice its the blue/gold era if I am right.
Cause right now its a f*** mess.
"
i agree with that. my favortie era was 1990s with the the line up from the animated series
#34 Posted by time (4916 posts) - - Show Bio

i my faverite era of x-men was 1990's with the blue team and gold team
i think the blue was brillant tough, sexy and creative
i think the gold team was pretty powerful and unique with  the powers they do seem  abit x-men style, they had the originally three x-men, then storm, colossus & bishop.
my faverite is the blue team out of both they had such good stories and interesting allias and enemies.

i did like age of apcoalypse x-men rogue as the second leader brillant

i did like x-treme x-men, storm leader again

new x-men scott leader again, jean, emma, wolverine and beast

#35 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Late 1980's to late 1990's, New X-Men Academy X, and X-Factor.

#36 Posted by Jaadu (537 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Late 1980's to late 1990's, New X-Men Academy X, and X-Factor."
Agreeeeeeee 100%
#37 Posted by iSHADOW (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

early to mid 90's x-factor and generation x

#38 Posted by Ultimate Ronin (2800 posts) - - Show Bio

my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved.

#39 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Ultimate Ronin said:
"my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved."

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?
#40 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Ultimate Ronin said:
"my all time favorite is the Age of Apocalypse era. i loved the story and all involved."

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?"
Damn right.
#41 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"ahumancartoon said:
"Ultimate Ronin said:

I have to agree. That was a wild time to be an X-fan eh?"
Damn right."
I remember reading in Wizard before of that started and they made it seem like the AoA was gonna be permanent deal, at the time it threw me for a loop.
#42 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the 80s era where Chris Claremont wrote the majority of the stories and we got great stories like Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Wolverine's storyline in Japan and many more.  I also loved the introduction of the second generation X-Men (Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Banshee).

#43 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

JOSS WHEDON!!

#44 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29 said:

JOSS WHEDON!!

I loved that era also!!!
#45 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the early to mid-2000s era myself. About when Morrison and Whedon were writing. Cyclops finally got his due, we saw a much-welcomed change/shake-up in the roster, and received some awesome new villains. Felt like the happy-medium that I had been hoping for since Claremont left.

#46 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio
Counter clockwise Beast, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Cyclops

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

#47 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@One_Eye said:

I like the early to mid-2000s era myself. About when Morrison and Whedon were writing. Cyclops finally got his due, we saw a much-welcomed change/shake-up in the roster, and received some awesome new villains. Felt like the happy-medium that I had been hoping for since Claremont left.

Loved the Whedon era too!

@bamaboykmb said:

Counter clockwise Beast, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Cyclops

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

I loved Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men!

#48 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain Cascader said:

281 was my very first x-men comic book. I guess I was 12 years old at the time, it was just when Byrne was getting heavily into the series, but I had no idea who the hell he was back then, I just remember how awesome I thought this cover was. It's still one of my all time favorite covers and had the classic team in it.

Yea, that's my fav. Blue/Gold era. Storm/Cyclops

#49 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

70's-90's X-Men were freakin great love it all, but I'm going to go with the Blue/Gold era as my all time favorite. That was my childhood right there.

Especially the Gold team I love those stories.

#50 Posted by Daycrawler (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont era, 70's to just into the 90's for me. Muthafunking awesomeness that I never tire of reading. Classic characters introduced, amazing stories, great art. Just the right balance of drama, theatrics and action.

Mid to late 90's I've not really read much of, partly due to the fact that the art was sooooooo, so ugly a high percentage of the time. Tit's, ass and muscles everywhere. Ridiculous body proportions (Liiiiiiieeeeefieeeeeld!!!). Stupid poses and no flow to the art in actually telling a story. Pouches, shoulder-pads, belts and huuuuge guns everywhere. It was like a mental mix of Dynasty, Dallas and mutants.

Have loved the 2000's too with Morrison, Whedon, etc and seem to be one of the few (on here anyways) that has loved the recent stuff too. People love to hate the modern era but it's brought us all sorts of awesome with X-Force, Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor, WATXM, Carey's run on Legacy, Gillen on Uncanny and major arcs like Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Angel Saga, Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, etc. I liked House of M and I'm not afraid to say it Goddamnit!

Fraction sucked tho. And Necrosha made me weep at the money I'd wasted on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.