Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Favorite Current X-Title Feburary-2014

• 84 results
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koays  Online

I wanted to asks this question a while back but then WatX, was announced as ending, and Amazing X-Men was just starting. But with the X-Force's ending and the new books not coming out for a while, its gonna be some time before every book has enough issues to for this to be a fair question again.

So as of now, ignoring the fact that 3 books are ending:

Which current X-Book do you enjoy the most?
    Which one would you read again from the beginning?

Titles:
    All New X-Factor
    All New X-Men
    Amazing X-Men
    Cable and X-Force
    Uncanny Avengers (Because, why not?)
    Uncanny X-Force
    Uncanny X-Men
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Wolverine/Assorted Wolverine Solos

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Koays  Online

Personally, up until this week it would've been Uncanny X-Men since I tried to reread All New X-Men and got so interested in the Uncanny team that I switched books.

As of now, it's "X-Men"

because after 3 months of talking about/rereading "New X-Men" it was awesome to see a book balance out it's adult cast with the old and new X-students as was seen in X-Men issue 10. It made me genuinely happy.

Ironically enough its also the only one I left off the list of titles.......-_-

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3  Edited By McKlayn

@koays said:

I wanted to asks this question a while back but then WatX, was announced as ending, and Amazing X-Men was just starting. But with the X-Force's ending and the new books not coming out for a while, its gonna be some time before every book has enough issues to for this to be a fair question again.

So as of now, ignoring the fact that 3 books are ending:

Titles:

All New X-Factor

All New X-Men

Amazing X-Men

Cable and X-Force

Uncanny Avengers (Because, why not?)

Uncanny X-Force

Uncanny X-Men

Wolverine and the X-Men

Wolverine/Assorted Wolverine Solos

Cant really pick a favorite but if i had too i think Amazing might be slightly ahead i am loving the nightcrawler arc lol BUT you left "X-men" off your list and it would be tied for first with the other two i highlighted if it was on the list lol

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm o.k with all of them...except for Uncanny Avengers. The reason is...because I didn't liked seeing some of the X-Men taking place into the Avengers team. I believe...and always have...that their foremost group...is with the X-Men. Even though...at the time...it was something different for us, but to me...personally...it wasn't that appealing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Koays  Online

@mcklayn:

Lol dam....

@cutter:
    I kind of feel the same way, but more about the storyline. I was really annoyed when they did the whole Archangel is Apocalypse thing in X-Force and none of the other X-Men new or found out about it and that it turned into this and yet again the X-Men aren't involved really bothers me.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By frozenedge2

@koays: The only X-Men aside from X-Force who know about Warren's death/rebirth are probably Beast, Bobby, and maybe Kitty though if remember right Logan did say he'd tell Rogue what happened once they dealt with the Apocalypse Twins so she might find out if Remender brings her back. And storywise, the X-Men are all unconscious on the Apocalypse Twins ship so none of them are gonna know any of this happened unless someone mentions it to one of them

To answer the question favorites are probably Amazing X-Men, Wood's X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Uncanny Avengers

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing, Uncanny, and I've enjoyed Wolverines 1st issue.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Koays  Online

@frozenedge: And yet now we're dealing with Archangel's evil twins from the future....Time Travel, Future Kids, Apocalypse and Mutant Salvation....I can imagine a dozen ways that it could've made for a kickass X-Men story just with the rest of the team finding out about what happened when X-Force fought Apocalypse....

but now it seems like they may never actually have that moment because the consequences are playing out in an Avenger book, I mean besides Wolverine know one else was even there for that story. It just seems they could've done something else for the first major story for this book

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think Uncanny Avengers and Xmen are the best right now. I loosely follow Uncanny because I hope for the best and Spurrier did some interesting stuff with Legacy, so Im looking forward to his Xforce, though he seems to get screwed when it comes to artist. Remender is a helluva writer. In fact if I could transfer the storylines from the whole book over to Uncanny Xmen , we'd have a gem on our hands. Sadly the best x-stories happen to be in a book with Avengers name on it. Wood's Xmen is pretty cool though I have to psyche myself out to read the Sublime bacteria crap. I realize he didn't originally come up with this idea but resurrecting Grant Morrison's brain fart is hard to deal with, at least for. It brings back the distaste of the whole Xorn-Magneto debacle which Im still not clear on and..... God!!! We are talking about bacteria... really?!!

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable & X-Force, by far. Though it's over now, as is Uncanny X-force so those are no longer "current" options and should probably be taken off the list altogether.

That being said, With CaXF off the list, I would go with Uncanny X-Men.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I like to think that the battle against the Apocalypse Twins could've been an X-Men story but looking at the X-Men sides now, it would've been messy. They could barely work together against the future Brotherhood, and they weren't even as big a threat as the Twin's or their Horsemen are.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Koays  Online

@frozenedge: Yea, but I think Logan's X-men could've used a big battle especially considering they have all the pieces of the story. Amazing, or WatXM....even Astonishing could've ran it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Uncanny, All-New X-Men, All-New X-Factor and Amazing are all great books so far.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: They probably could have but Scott's team would've been dragged into it eventually but it could've been great

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pick Legacy (which isn't on your list) but that's on the chopping block so I'll go with X-Men. It's too soon to fairly judge newer books, but as for re-reading previous runs, I think the original X-Factor would be fun to go through again.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

If I had to pick one right now, it would probably be Bendis' Uncanny X-Men (vol.3),

but it would be very closely followed Wood'sX-Men (vol.4) and Aaron's Amazing X-Men, both of which have been a lot of fun so far.

I could read any of those three again from the beginning and enjoy them, but I would skip the BotA issues of X-men and Uncanny'. That's only 25 issues between the three of them, which sounds like a decent afternoon to me.

I've actually been thinking of re-reading Wolverine & the X-Men again, partially because it's ending soon, but partially because the last three issues (38-40) have actually been pretty decent.

Personally, As of now, it's "X-Men" because after 3 months of talking about/rereading "New X-Men" it was awesome to see a book balance out it's adult cast with the old and new X-students as was seen in X-Men issue 10. It made me genuinely happy.

Yeah, I was really into issue #10, it might have been my favorite issue so far.

I'm really digging Kris Anka's art on the issue, though Mann's was actually a bit disappointing and rushed looking. I hope Anka sticks around for a while at least. And, as you say, it's great to see more of the students in action again.

I was sort of surprised that this was a .now issue, since it seems like a strange jumping on point (sort of in the middle of a story that's been going on for a while), but it did seem to do a decent job of getting the reader up to speed. And it felt like there was a lot going on, which I really appreciated, especially from Wood who can sometimes be somewhat sparse and/or slow-paced. If this had been the first issue I jumped on, I guess it would have grabbed me, though, so there ya go.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koays  Online

@lykopis: Totally forgot Legacy...I haven't been following it though and I don't even see it in my comic store

@oldnightcrawler: I kind of marked out, when I realized Hellion was mentioned by name and got to do something.

I am pleasantly surprised by Wood's pacing though. I think, going by his interviews prior to the title, he's trying to make X-Men a sort of alternative to all of the other books, and may be doing it by giving us more development per page then the other books.

By the scene with Pixie and Rockslide I thought the issue was over but he through a lot more things at us. It's like they gave a shot of adrenalin to the book this issue and I honestly didn't think Wood had it in him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This latest book was a great one. Like was mentioned it's automatically one of my favorites. The balance was great and I thought the appearances of the students was spot on. This is what we needed!!! I also am intrigued by who they might actually bring back. I hope it happens and I hope they stick pass this arc.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Koays  Online

@hawk2916: This book and Uncanny X-Men have very similar Mentor/Student field work things going on...I think next weeks Uncanny is going to start a good comparison in terms of the Xavier School cast and the JGS cast in terms of like ability.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Im struggling with Uncanny at the moment. The pace is killing me and really I dont like Bendis too much or his new creations. The guy has great ideas sometimes on paper and in interviews but the execution is very much lacking, at least to me it is. I do like Tempus and Hijack along with the Cuckoos but the rest....ughhh. Then again, I'm kind of partial to the New Xmen, so the mix in Wood's book was great to see. I have to admit though in Uncanny there has been a constant Mentor/Student thing going on and that format is not bad. In fact it's what Ive wanted for student book, actual field mission with the teachers, I just happen to dislike most of the students. That said, I havent dropped Uncanny from my list like I did All New, so i'll be reading next week to see what happens.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have a favorite at the moment. I am enjoying Amazing the most. Wood's X-Men is also good but has been dragging, and I haven't been liking the amount panel time given to irrelevant students and not the main cast that has hardly appeared in a quality way. I'm looking forward to Latour's run on WatX and Cornell's Wolverine.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've honestly been enjoying almost all the X-books. Only ones I've skipped were: wolverine solo's, X-factor, Legacy, and Uncanny Avengers.

X-men to me are always supposed to be team books, so mostly solo stories like Wolverines and Legacy don't appeal to me (have to wait and see if Magneto's solo convinces me otherwise), never been a big x-factor person, and Uncanny Avengers basically just another avenger book

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@lordmordor said:

I've honestly been enjoying almost all the X-books. Only ones I've skipped were: wolverine solo's, X-factor, Legacy, and Uncanny Avengers.

X-men to me are always supposed to be team books, so mostly solo stories like Wolverines and Legacy don't appeal to me (have to wait and see if Magneto's solo convinces me otherwise), never been a big x-factor person, and Uncanny Avengers basically just another avenger book

Uncanny Avengers is totally an Avengers book, but it might be the best one out right now.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers feels like an Xmen book though. Honestly it seems like an Avengers book in name only. Most of the themes seem to center around mutants. In reality it comes off as a perfect amalgam of the xmen and avengers

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None are good sadly. I'm an X-fan since Claremont's God Love, Man Kills, but this is a sad period for us.

Bendis slow pace is ruining half of the x-book.

Then you have Aaron and his childish books.

All New X-Factor is decent, we need to see more issues

X-Force is still trying to make Fantomex happen.

Uncanny Avengers is an Avengers book.

And finally, you have all the Wolverine book.

If you like the x-women buy X-Men. It's the only good book.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@cheesesticks said:

None are good sadly. I'm an X-fan since Claremont's God Love, Man Kills, but this is a sad period for us.

he's only writing two books (and one of them's really good).

Then you have Aaron and his childish books.

what's wrong with that? his books aren't any more childish than a lot of The New Mutants, Excalibur, or Generation X, and most people who like X-men like at least some of those..

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fav is the Uncanny Avengers. I thought that was cool, in my opinion.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By poisonfleur
    No Caption Provided

X-men by Brian Wood
    HANDS DOWN. Best X-title of Marvel-NOW

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fav is the Uncanny Avengers. I thought that was cool, in my opinion.

Uncanny Avengers is probably my favorite Avengers book right now (though, Mighty Avengers gaining), but even with the initial premise it doesn't feel like an X-men book to me, so it doesn't really feel fair to compare them. It's like apples and oranges.

If Avengers are apples and X-men are oranges, Uncanny Avengers would be like a candied apple with orange flavored candy.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Koays  Online

@cheesesticks said:

he's only writing two books (and one of them's really good).

While I agree about the pacing, you gotta give credit to him. This is the most time we've spent with mutants who get their powers and don't turn instant expert the moment they join the X-Men.

And All New isn't slow at all.....it's just not focused.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

While I agree about the pacing, you gotta give credit to him. This is the most time we've spent with mutants who get their powers and don't turn instant expert the moment they join the X-Men.

I don't get the slow thing in this case, I don't find Uncanny slow at all, in fact i think it's got a better pace than a lot of books.

And, yeah, I like that those X-men are actually in training. It's a theme that's central to the X-men that, as you say, so often gets skipped over or rushed through; I'm really enjoying the time Bendis is taking with this class.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Koays  Online

@oldnightcrawler: I think it's a combination of three things that make the pacing bothersome.

We still haven't seen Scott's team do anything. Other then the occasional battle or show down, they havn't done anything but train and get attacked when they step outside.

We haven't seen much in the way of team dynamics.

And the fact that the issue by issue this book is great, especially at making the readers want more after every issue. But every time they set up one great idea (Magneto dealing with Shield, Magik's powers messing up, Angel joining the team), it's interrupted by the beginnings of another (great) idea.

It just seems like there's a lot of set up still being done that may have great payoff down the line, But reader's who want immediate resolution might be bothered by the fact that their exploring one character at a time. ....I disagree but I'm hopeful that this book is going to have a LONG run.

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Djainess

Hmm the book I'm enjoying the most right now is probably Uncanny X-men. But the first two issues of X-factor have been great! Wood's X-men is very good too and I like uncanny avengers. Don't really care about ANXM, at least not after Bota.

@koays said:

I don't get the slow thing in this case, I don't find Uncanny slow at all, in fact i think it's got a better pace than a lot of books.

Uncanny doesn't feel slow to me either. Bendis takes his time to introduce the new cast, which is really good. But that doesn't make it slow in my opinion.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Uncanny X-Men and X-Men are my personal favorites. All-New used to be with the other two but has been a little slow-especially now that Kitty and Originals have joined with the Uncanny team

The two X-Force books are good, and besides Uncanny Avengers (which I personally just don't like) all the others are just ok

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I think it's a combination of three things that make the pacing bothersome.

We still haven't seen Scott's team do anything. Other then the occasional battle or show down, they havn't done anything but train and get attacked when they step outside.

I feel like between SHIELD, the Avengers, the Sentinels, Dormammu, the crossover, the Brotherhood, and introducing 5 new characters on top of the already great cast, they've done a lot of stuff for 16 issues.

We haven't seen much in the way of team dynamics.

I can always go for that. So far, it feels like it's been just enough considering how many characters are new, but I do agree we could certainly go with more of that for sure.

And the fact that the issue by issue this book is great, especially at making the readers want more after every issue. But every time they set up one great idea (Magneto dealing with Shield, Magik's powers messing up, Angel joining the team), it's interrupted by the beginnings of another (great) idea.

i'm not saying this isn't a fair criticism, but I really feel it applies to most regular runs of X-men, even Claremont; actually, arguably because of Claremont. That's largely been my experience, anyway; it certainly seemed to be the norm in the 80's and 90's.

It just seems like there's a lot of set up still being done that may have great payoff down the line, But reader's who want immediate resolution might be bothered by the fact that their exploring one character at a time. ....I disagree but I'm hopeful that this book is going to have a LONG run.

I actually feel pretty confident that it will, based on both it's popularity and generally consistent level of quality.

I guess as someone who's been reading for as long as me, I both don't mind waiting and don't really expect everything I'm curious about to be resolved right away (or sometimes ever). But, for me, if every issue remains compelling in itself, that's a good thing.

@djainess said:

Uncanny doesn't feel slow to me either. Bendis takes his time to introduce the new cast, which is really good. But that doesn't make it slow in my opinion.

yeah, that's sort of how I feel too. If it hadn't worked, if I hadn't been interested by now, I'd feel differently, but now I am, so I figure he must be doing a decent job.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Koays  Online

@oldnightcrawler: The more I try to explain the issue the more it comes of as nitpicking to myself honestly especially when I really do like the series. But I guess the point I was trying to make is that since it's been about 20 issues (counting the All New X-Men issues) and we haven't closed a story arc I can see why it's a problem.

Regardless, this book has a lot of potential and I'd hate for them to change something about it just because in a year they haven't made enough progress....though crossovers/tie ins are most of a reason

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: dont worry, your not the only one who's not in love with Bendis. Ive said before that some of his ideas are good but the execution is not. The reason his pacing seems slow is because its been a year now and we still are trying to define this so-called revolution. The new creations are....blah too imo. I cant help but think that Kyle and Yost or Mike Carey or Remender would have been infinitely better. For the revolution theme Gillen would have done well also. To me more xmen stuff has happened in Uncanny Avengers than in Uncanny Xmen. If Remenders stories were somehow transferred over the Uncanny Xmen I think we see shouting and dancing in the streets lol. My biggest gripes against Bendis though is All New Xmen, his new mutant creations, the lack of use of more experienced Xmen characters, and his pacing and direction which feel like they are all over the place. But some folks swear by him so to each his own. As long fans continue to justify what he does he will have that long run you were mentioning. Which that thought in and of itself makes me cringe

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Koays  Online

@hawk2916: Well yea, we differ because I like All New X-Men, but despite liking it I find myself asking the same questions I was asking in the first few issues regarding the direction: "What are they trying to accomplish?"
    IF from the very beginning they were stuck in the future and couldn't get back it would be different, but after they pretty much found out they came here under false information they for the most part said "oh well" and decided to stay anyway.

In the same vein, I don't know what Scott's Revolution is, or if they've dropped that angle because it been so long since they addressed it. Is he creating a mutant protection team or are they just taking in whoever they find? I'm still trying to define the book, just like I was a year ago.

The thing is, I could see Uncanny spinning off into a book like "New Mutants" or a crossover with another book (X-Force or UA). Its just that there's so much to do and so many conversations that need to be had (Scott/Kitty) and we haven't even been properly introduced to the team's healer yet!!

But the worst part is that I don't trust another writer to come in and takeover because it would mess up the set-up that we've got.
    I don't think Bendis has done nearly as bad a job as most people think, but 2013's 4th quarter took the book off focus and he needs to deliver on something.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HAWK2916

@koays: Like I said to each his own. I actually enjoy the explainations of what he's doing from the people on this forum more so than his books to be honest. Personally Ive just never cared for what they guy does. IMO he seems to want destroy and rewrite everything. I think weve discussed it before but with All New I just have a different feeling and thought toward. Some would say its a fresh take and new direction, I disagree. I think alot of what he does is unnecessary. Also in oreder for me to get behind a book I have to like or at least be intrigued by the plot. But whatever Im not the be all end all. I just happen to think there are better writers out there. And since Xmen is the franchise Ive always followed, I happen to want the best stories and the best writers with the best plots and concepts. I dont equate Bendis with anything coming close to that and so naturally Im disappointed

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@koays: dont worry, your not the only one who's not in love with Bendis. Ive said before that some of his ideas are good but the execution is not. The reason his pacing seems slow is because its been a year now and we still are trying to define this so-called revolution.

I'm not "in love with Bendis", he's done plenty of stuff I don't like, I just think that (other than BotA) Uncanny' has been good. I don't understand people not understanding his outlaw team; it seems pretty well defined to me.

..The new creations are....blah too imo. I cant help but think that Kyle and Yost or Mike Carey or Remender would have been infinitely better. For the revolution theme Gillen would have done well also. To me more xmen stuff has happened in Uncanny Avengers than in Uncanny Xmen. If Remenders stories were somehow transferred over the Uncanny Xmen I think we see shouting and dancing in the streets lol.

I wasn't wild about the new characters at first, but criticizing the book for what it's not isn't much of a criticism.

My biggest gripes against Bendis though is All New Xmen, his new mutant creations, the lack of use of more experienced Xmen characters, and his pacing and direction which feel like they are all over the place. But some folks swear by him so to each his own. As long fans continue to justify what he does he will have that long run you were mentioning. Which that thought in and of itself makes me cringe

Like I say, All-new' has lost it's novelty for me some time ago, so I'm totally with you on that, but the criticism that he's using new characters instead of already existing ones doesn't feel like much of a criticism.

@koays said:

The thing is, I could see Uncanny spinning off into a book like "New Mutants" or a crossover with another book (X-Force or UA). Its just that there's so much to do and so many conversations that need to be had (Scott/Kitty) and we haven't even been properly introduced to the team's healer yet!!

I guess I see Uncanny' as already being more in the vein of New Mutants, in the sense that, like the original X-men, the bulk of the team are still students, so the idea of a spin-off seems like it would be redundant. Though, I do agree that it would be nice to get a little more definition from the new characters.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legacy - I totally missed this title, for the first time I've read the first issue I was like "mehh lame" but that's because I wasn't in the right mood and everything felt chaotic and abstract, which I dig usually but this time I felt like this wasn't mine chaos. But, people kept talking about this book, so I gave it another try and it still wasn't mine format, then I gave up again. While people started praising this run even more, I saw Cyclops and Emma on the cover and I thought, maybe in these desperate times, that is exactly where I can see which way the writer was going with the character that I always felt had the right potential for. So I picked the issue where it all starts, and I pretty much liked everything which I didn't completely understand, yet some parts of the first issue started to gain a logical shape and than I realized - I want to understand more. Right now, I'm processing so I'll tell more in the end.

All New X-factor - not much have happened, but I like the lineup and I'm looking forward for more, by now it is just good.

XX-men and Uncanny are good, but might be better. Uncanny Avengers ARE Avengers, removing the X-characters Remender finally convinced us in this.

But, I see a bright hope for the near future with X-force and Magneto.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: yeah well most people dont seem to understand criticism they dont agree with. I think you can criticize something for what it's not. Example you could criticize your girl for not being a good cook (not recommended by the way lol) or on the job you could be criticized or disciplined for what you are not doing. All that's happening is someone is pointing out a flaw.

I just find it hard to believe that Bendis would follow Aaron's Schism idea and have us believe that only 3 other mutants believe along the same lines as Cyclops while everyone else follows Wolverine. That makes no sense at all.

The revolution has been about recruiting other mutants which is no different from what all the Xmen are doing, so what defines his book as so different. In a year's time though there have been some "things" that have happened, what has happened that's clearly advanced his agenda for a revolution. Besides a tangle with the Avengers.... yet again... something that's been done already and fighting Sentinels... which has been done constantly (and much that I understand took place in WATX). I admit the latest issue was pretty cool because finally Magneto wasnt portrayed as a lackey. Initially, I was excited about a Revolution and what would happen after AVX but instead Ive gotten issues that have 3-4 pages blacked out with Magik yelling how dare you, a supposedly gay shape-shifter where have we seen that before (and what a gimmick to sell more comics) and Emma sleeping ass up in an open for business position which amazingly is the first time Im seeing this though there have plenty of depictions of her sleeping. My criticism is that I want more to happen, you know get on with the story.

But I say again to each his own. Those are a few of my criticism and to me they are valid.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: yeah well most people dont seem to understand criticism they dont agree with. I think you can criticize something for what it's not. Example you could criticize your girl for not being a good cook (not recommended by the way lol) or on the job you could be criticized or disciplined for what you are not doing. All that's happening is someone is pointing out a flaw.

But you were criticizing Uncanny' for not being written by someone else; Bendis can't be someone else, so you're not really criticizing what he is doing with that line of criticism. It's like criticizing an apple for not being an orange.

Similarly, you criticize that he uses new characters instead of ones you'd rather see; that would be like me saying I didn't like an Avengers comic because it doesn't have Falcon in it, Falcon might be a great character, but that doesn't mean an Avengers comic is less good because he's not in it. See what I mean?

I just find it hard to believe that Bendis would follow Aaron's Schism idea and have us believe that only 3 other mutants believe along the same lines as Cyclops while everyone else follows Wolverine. That makes no sense at all.

That Wolverine spearheaded the Schism doesn't mean that it's solely his side or that the other X-men are all just following him. It's more like most of the X-men are doing what the X-men always have, and only a few have followed Cyclops in exile. Those who left with Wolverine were leaving Cyclops to be the X-men again just as much as Wolverine was; it's like there's the X-men and there's Cyclops' X-men, that's all.

The revolution has been about recruiting other mutants which is no different from what all the Xmen are doing, so what defines his book as so different (?)

Yes, rescuing and recruiting mutants has always been what the X-men have done, but there is a difference in the way Cyclops is doing it.

He's making a point to rescue mutants being persecuted by recognized law enforcement agencies, and in a very public way. Where Xavier (or the other X-men) would have used either his political connections or his mental powers to circumvent these types of confrontations, Cyclops is making a point to emphasize the confrontation, to show how the law enforcement systematically criminalizes mutants. That's what his revolution is about, that's what makes it distinct.

With Magic on his team, he could just as easily go back to the moments before these mutants were engaged with the law, avoiding the conflict altogether, and that's more like what Xavier would do. But Cyclops wants these new mutants -and the world- to be exposed to this injustice, to show what mutants have to deal with that other humans don't, to show that it's wrong, and to show that that's what he's fighting.

Given that Cyclops and his team no longer really have the luxury of working within the system themselves (the common trait that unites and defines them as a group), it makes sense that this would be the fight that they would champion, I think.

I know Bendis is a very stylized writer, so I definitely do get why people don't like him, and if it's not for you then it's not. I just think the book's been really compelling and distinct so far, so I'm digging it is all.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Koays  Online

@hawk2916 said:

After rereading the issue I think the reason only the Cuckoo's left with Scott's side is because they were so fresh off of burying Xavier at the time. And even the Utopia kids had to be a little nervous about hanging around the group that went nuts and tried to takeover the world. If it's ever addressed, I think that'll be the reason given.

Again though, this is guess work because it's a conversation that wasn't had within the books, and won't be had within the books since all the different writers seem to wanna do their own thing. Just one editor to get everyone on the same page would help.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: That's the thing I have criticized his writing on numerous occasions and in this thread. The only thing I said about other writers is that he's basically inferior to them which in fact is a criticism directed at Marvel.

There are so many Xmen already (some would say too many) and on top of that villains are becoming Xmen, and to leave them in limbo and create new characters is, well kind of ridiculous. You may really be in love with his new creations which is fine for you. But Im sorry, there's no one that can convince me that Goldballs, the shape-shifter, Triage, and even Hijack and Tempus (the only two whom I think are decent), are more compelling characters or are better suited for an X-book over: Wolfsbane, Warpath, Magma, Dani Moonstar, and Frenzy. Its a matter of personal preference i know, but I'd just rather see stories involving and including them rather than the newbies. There's also the New Xmen who would be better as well. But i tire of going around and around about this.

Coincidentally on a side note, how happy are you with the idea of there being two schools for mutants? JGS and Xavier's. Do you like the idea?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: That's the thing I have criticized his writing on numerous occasions and in this thread. The only thing I said about other writers is that he's basically inferior to them which in fact is a criticism directed at Marvel.

There are so many Xmen already (some would say too many) and on top of that villains are becoming Xmen, and to leave them in limbo and create new characters is, well kind of ridiculous. You may really be in love with his new creations which is fine for you. But Im sorry, there's no one that can convince me that Goldballs, the shape-shifter, Triage, and even Hijack and Tempus (the only two whom I think are decent), are more compelling characters or are better suited for an X-book over: Wolfsbane, Warpath, Magma, Dani Moonstar, and Frenzy. Its a matter of personal preference i know, but I'd just rather see stories involving and including them rather than the newbies.

hey, I'd love to see more of the The New Mutants and the New X-Men too, but wanting to see them isn't a criticism of what Bendis is doing. It would like be if someone didn't like the new X-men because they weren't Generation X.

Coincidentally on a side note, how happy are you with the idea of there being two schools for mutants? JGS and Xavier's. Do you like the idea?

Personally I like it. It's cool that there's more than one version of the X-men without it being a spin off or separate thing. And I don't think the X-men need Cyclops, Emma, etc.. to be cool and what I like about the team/concept, while, at the same time, I like seeing Cyclops and his group being in this new context with new characters that renews my interest in the old inner circle characters. It works well at playing to the strengths of a lot more main characters this way, rather than having them all on the same side where most of them would be less central overall.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HAWK2916

@oldnightcrawler: yeah I guess its not bad. I really dislike the JGS though. Im a fan of just the mansion and classrooms and a seperate danger room, not the school with the ground alive and floating pieces of it all over the place. I look at Scott's school as a type of training base (camp x). In fact I think I'd almost rather they called it that and did away with JGS and just used Xavier's as the school back in New York

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: yeah I guess its not bad. I really dislike the JGS though. Im a fan of just the mansion and classrooms and a seperate danger room, not the school with the ground alive and floating pieces of it all over the place. I look at Scott's school as a type of training base (camp x). In fact I think I'd almost rather they called it that and did away with JGS and just used Xavier's as the school back in New York

I kind of get what you mean about the JG School; it does seem a bit over-the-top compared to the way the school's been represented classically, but I guess that's the idea.

I like that it plays to how outrageously diverse the X-men's mythos is, like a Hogwart's of the MU, but it wouldn't hurt for it to be a little more grounded some times. Then again, Wood's X-men is also set there, and in that it doesn't seem so over the top, so I guess it really just depends on the tone of the story. I think between Storm's more traditional team and Cyclops' more edgy, contemporary school, there's a balance where a wackier side of the X-universe, that references the diverse history of their mythos, can have a place too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.