Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Factions???

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Quite a bit on these boards we've talked about who should be on what side and on what team. While some are happy with the status-quot and everything is just a dreamland for them, there are others who dislike the characterizations and the way things were split during the Schism and subsequent events like AVX and BOTA.

One thing that it seems that most agree on though, is that it would make some sense for there to be more than just two sides to the equation. So I wanted to pose this question. Besides just the simple Cyclops side vs Wolverine side, what other factions or sides should there be and what should be the basis, premise or the stance for these? I guess in a sense Havok's stance with Uncanny Avengers is a bit of an example, as is Polaris and Gambit with X-factor. But I guess in some ways they still came down on one side or the other when it came to taking a stand. But what other options should there be for mutants besides just the JGS or NXS? Should there be a middle ground? or maybe a more government controlled or government friendly faction?

Any thoughts?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Koays  Online

Eh, with Wolverine and Beast so friendly with the Avengers (who are working with SHIELD) Wolverines team always seems very government friendly to me.

I think the often proposed book about X-kids going out and dealing with X-Men threats that the adults are to busy bickering to handle is a GREAT idea.

Also maybe a team of retired/semi retired X-Men getting together and actually doing stuff involving the mutant community, might be nice.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Factions within the X-Men or factions within the mutant community.

There are already many factions within the mutant community such as the Mutant Liberation Front, the Acolytes, the Hellfire Club, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and many others.

I thought the X-Men already had other factions hence the different teams like X-Men, X-Factor, X-Force, and so on.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe there should be more than two sides, but I just don't know who.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916 said:

Quite a bit on these boards we've talked about who should be on what side and on what team. While some are happy with the status-quot and everything is just a dreamland for them, there are others who dislike the characterizations and the way things were split during the Schism and subsequent events like AVX and BOTA.

One thing that it seems that most agree on though, is that it would make some sense for there to be more than just two sides to the equation. So I wanted to pose this question. Besides just the simple Cyclops side vs Wolverine side, what other factions or sides should there be and what should be the basis, premise or the stance for these? I guess in a sense Havok's stance with Uncanny Avengers is a bit of an example, as is Polaris and Gambit with X-factor. But I guess in some ways they still came down on one side or the other when it came to taking a stand. But what other options should there be for mutants besides just the JGS or NXS? Should there be a middle ground? or maybe a more government controlled or government friendly faction?

Any thoughts?

Good thread, I was always bothered by absence of what I'd call a movement alternative to the X-men (and until Morrison, to Magneto and his supporters) like mutantkind is a group of mindless sheep that can only be defined by two concepts, and not independent three-dimensional individuals that can think for themselves to decide whether this stances are relevant to them or not, but that was before HOM that changed the whole situation and previous status quo and demanded unity at first.

I didn't mind the Schism as I could totally see why some wouldn't appreciate the more militarized ways Cyclops started to be inclined to, of course the way it was handled, with that pathetic thought-farts Sh!tfire brats and a fight over memory of Jean? Wtf Aaron, wtf? (that's avoiding the whole discussion of how Wolverine shouldn't be there as the face of opposition to Cyclops for so many reasons that were also discussed to oblivion). I've read once Gillen's interview where he said that they had almost a war over characters as the result of this event. So beyond personal preferences over them, I don't think there was much of a logic either. Yet it gave us one of the all-time most incredible line-ups to ever be assembled on 616 as Extinction Team, to bad there was almost no time for developments and Gillen spent more than half of it over a boring and pretty crappy Tabula Rasa arc and AVX fillers (besides the actual fillers, the Unit arc was pretty much on the same course). One of the biggest missed opportunities ever, I could totally live with mutants on the brink of extinction with that team still kicking the 616's butt. I could even tolerate Aaron's trollfest pretending like it doesn't exist.

Post AvX though, there's nothing worthy about the flagships to be even mentioned. I enjoy me some X-force, ANXF and Magneto for now.

Remender had a potential there with the "mutants are just superhumans" but he totally ruined that giving these ideas to be mainly adopted and idolized by a such respected mutant as Scarlet Witch and a failure of brother that is Havok. Even I was disgusted.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@adamtrmm: I agree. I loved the idea of the Extinction Team. Ive tried to replicate it several times using different characters but the concept was awesome, the execution was sorely lacking though.

I think that there's no way everything should fit into two neat little categories especially when talking about the best course for a race or group of people

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Silver_Raven

I want to see an end to the rival schools that Wolverine and Cyclops started that provide nothing new or revolutionary for mutants. So leave them to their pissing contest and let the New Mutant Generation move the X-school to New York City, where they can integrate with the real world, in a diverse and progressive city with other super human beings as well. The "New Mutant Leadership Institute" would be headed by Professor (Kitty) Pryde, and include other original New Mutant alumni.

I also think the X-Corporation should make a come back and continue to spread support networks for mutants around the world, like they were doing before Decimaton. But the difference from the old incarnation to the new one would be having it work more like a business, think a talent agency with offices around the world recruiting mutants and providing good public relations. The two CEOs I think would be perfect for this job would be Iceman and the White Queen.

No more Brotherhoods and Sisterhoods, just let Mystique run the world the way she see fit but uniting radical mutants to her new cause, the Mutant Liberation Front. Give her a better reason to be evil than the cliche trope of psychopathic femme fatale. She is more that that and needs a manifesto unique to her and would be more morally grey than has been shown before. Mutant and mad is not working for her so let's roll what the movies has been doing and make her mutant and proud.

There also needs to be a better use for Cyclops, since they keep on telling us he's this revolutionary warrior but he done nothing of note that would be deemed good or bad, other than strutting around the Marvel U with his mutant harem. So why not him break free from his boy scout past and have him truly embrace his new rebel leader vibe and give him X-Force. Since he has now become his son, and Cable has become his father. Give him all those young and radical mutants that want to fight back and free mutants from their oppressors.

With Professor X gone, I think Magneto should take over the elder/patriarch role, and become a little wiser if possible. He should be more enlightened by now so maybe that can translate to a spiritual rebirth that can show him a new path for uniting and empowering mutants. He and his new Acolytes could rebuild his former mutant nation, on a reclaimed Genosha, Asteroid M/Utopia, or Muir Island. And start a new mutant culture.

As for the flagship team of mutant superheroes, if and when Wolverine "dies", let Storm take up her rightful place as the true successor of Professor X's legacy and lead the X-men. Only world-class superheroes on this team, that would be a mix the Extinction team, the X-treme Sanctions Executive team and the U.S government sponsered X-Factor. Storm can bridge the divides and factions and lead her team of mutant peacekeepers and law enforcers, sanctioned by the governments of the world t handle global threats and mutant emergencies. You know epic stuff like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.