Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Everything shouldn't be honky-dory between Hope and Cable in CAXF

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SummersBlood

Before I directly address the topic of this post, I feel compelled to re-iterate how completely ridiculous the plot thread was in AvX where somehow Spiderman is more qualified than Cable to train Hope in handling the Phoenix. Even Keiron Gillen acknowledged in a recent interview that the legitimacy of that whole set-up was questionable. Cable was raised by Rachel Summers, aka The Phoenix, so I'd imagine he'd have a thing or two to say on the subject. And before you say "well, Peter was really just teaching her the old great power/responsibility" spiel, I find it extremely unlikely that this was not pounded into her skull every single day of her life by a man who has possessed God-level powers and knows exactly the cost of one's actions.

All that aside, the real crux of the issue here is that Cable trained Hope her entire life, and when the time came for her to live up to her father's legacy, she balked. Faced with the Phoenix-force on the moon, she just caved and suddenly became an insecure teenager (Hope's characterization has wildly fluctuated over the years, so I guess it's no surprise she see-saws between hardened survivor and typically clueless teenager, but still.....) She had the opportunity to make her father proud and instead she royally screwed it up. Now, okay fine, Marvel...you want your teenage audience to identify with Hope, I get it..... but you know what happens when children fail to live up to their parents' expectations? Generally the parents are kinda disappointed. So I guess it just kinda upsets me to see Hope getting all mad at Cable for....what exactly? Letting her live her own life? But anyway, she gets to be mad at him, and he just takes it all in stride, with nary a word of "hey kid, you really forgot everything I ever taught you right when it counted most...I'm quite disappointed in you." In fact, throughout this constant back and forth argument of "Scott was right....No Cap was right!!!!" nobody seems to be assigning any blame at all to Hope. I would really just like Dennis Hopeless to have the Cable/Hope dynamic in CAXF a little less rosy and a little more complex.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honky-dory lol.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar

Cable shouldn't be the one to assign blame to Hope for this, he's her father, I think if anything it would be far easier for him to forgive her than Cyclops or any other mutant.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By x_29

True. Then again there was nothing really honky-dory about that first issue in general.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

I don't think there was anything wrong with her reaction....no matter what she's been through she's still a teenage girl and she was faced with a cosmic entity that wanted to possess her...there's nothing wrong with being afraid of that

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

whyd you have to go and bring race in to it?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    It's not
    It's not
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By papad1992

@AgeofHurricane said:

It's not
    It's not

F*CK YEAH!

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

It's not
    It's not

F*CK YEAH!

thats really jean disguised as hope lol..........JK

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

This is the first time I've heard the term Hunky Dory outside of television where it didn't come from my grand mother

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@joshmightbe said:

This is the first time I've heard the term Hunky Dory outside of television where it didn't come from my grand mother

Same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on their shared past, I do not think their relationship will ever be smooth sailing. Two Type A personalities are always going to butt heads at one time or another, it's inevitable.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By XsPectre28

spiderman was chosen for his "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" theme i didnt feel spiderman was qualified at all it should have been rachel but i understand the reason why he was picked

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By papad1992

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@papad1992 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

It's not
    It's not

F*CK YEAH!

thats really jean disguised as hope lol..........JK

Even better...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.