Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Eh what !?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eeshaan1685

So I heard Jubilee is a Vampire.

WHAT !?!? Who's idea was this ? And when the hell did this lunacy happen, as I wasn't keeping track of Marvel for awhile.

Also, why ? WHY, Marvel ? Why make jubilee a vampire ? I guess it's their way of cashing in on all this Twilight business ? Firecracker throwing friendly cute loveable vampire girl ? And why isn't she behaving like a real, badass, scary, VAMPIRE ? It would have been really interesting to see her as a villain, a really bad one, but instead they went the teen tomance route with this one :|

Seriously, Marvel is suffering from a shortage of creativity these days.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

No Caption Provided

Little late to the party on that one >.<

She was injected with a vampire virus and she got turned. She was meant to explode and turn them all into vampires or kill them or something can't really remember. The story was called curse of the mutants and you can probably get a good summary on her wiki page.

Could you explain how taking a character who's mutant power was basically energy blasts from her hands(which is easily the most generic super power ever), and giving her vampire powers, and also taking a character who was always light hearted and fun loving and introducing a blood lust that causes her a lot of emotional trauma that lead to great character development means marvel is short on creativity? Especially considering Marvel has never taking an established character and turned them into a vampire, or had many vampires in X-Men in general?

She became a vampire a while after twilight, so it's not like she was part of the huge Vampire rush in 2007-2009 after twilight came out.

In all honestly making her a vampire was the smartest things they could have done, and I wouldn't want to reverse it. It would feel like a big step back at this point.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@teerack:

Sorry I gotto disagree with you there, man.

I mean c'mon, man. How would you like to see Illyana Rasputin become a Werewolf ? Or Scott Summers a Zombie ? Or Wolverine a frankenstien ? And STILL, do the most common cliche that "monsters" do nowadays : retain a part of their humanity.

Yeah that kinds sounds ridiculous, doesn't it ? They could have at least made Jubilee a full villain then, turned her into a bloodthirsty monster. That would have been a refreshing change. But this thing about being "conflicted" with your good side battleing the evil part of you and your newly aquired Vampire bloodlust, THAT is something very cliched and generic that you can find in spades in your usual vampire/werewolf teen romance novel out there.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack:

Sorry I gotto disagree with you there, man.

I mean c'mon, man. How would you like to see Illyana Rasputin become a Werewolf ? Or Scott Summers a Zombie ? Or Wolverine a frankenstien ? And STILL, do the most common cliche that "monsters" do nowadays : retain a part of their humanity.

Yeah that kinds sounds ridiculous, doesn't it ? They could have at least made Jubilee a full villain then, turned her into a bloodthirsty monster. That would have been a refreshing change. But this thing about being "conflicted" with your good side battleing the evil part of you and your newly aquired Vampire bloodlust, THAT is something very cliched and generic that you can find in spades in your usual vampire/werewolf teen romance novel out there.

If there was a good story there I would be fine with it. Curse of the Mutants and it's after math had a really good story. You should really try reading some recent Jubilee stuff. The fact you think she should be a villain just because she's a vampire means you really need to read up on her.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@teerack:

Oh ok, I'll go have a look lol.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 SC  Moderator

Curse of Mutants Vampire stuff from Gischler was meh, but Immonen and Noto made Vampy Jubes work in her best story in a decade. they also gave her a great outfit redesign. Gischler was/is actually into Vampire stuff before Twilight got too huge, publishing around the same time as the first movie, but yeah maybe Marvel tried to capitalize on that. Making Jubes a vampire gives her a level of internal conflict most other characters can't have. She still has fun moments, when written well - her mini for example. Personally I find "really badass scary vampires" lame by virtue of trying to hard and being cliche. Its the vampires that have some sense of personality and stand out you have to watch out for and are sincerely scariest =p

Either way I recommend her four part mini.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Hey I can't remember did Jude get her powers back before she became a vampire and then re-lost them when she became a vampire, or was she still powerless and using the gear she got in New Warriors still? :o

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i understand that superhero comics and their characters often jump from genre to genre. drama. sci fi. fantasy. etc.

The core of what the X-Men are is their struggle with being accepted by society and humankind at large. The whole "feared and hated" thing. Parallels with prejudice as a theme, so on and so forth.

The cosmic sci fi aspect, with space pirates and war with aliens, seemed out of place with the themes at first. But now with the The Celestials and Apocalypse acting as the bridging gap between mutants and galactic sci fi, it kinda fits.

The X-Men even have links with fantasy & magic with their links to Captain Britain and the Omniverse. As well as Magick and all things demonic.

But Jubilation Lee as a vampire??? POINTLESS and RIDICULOUS.
    Angel becoming the Horseman Death? Cool
    Wolverine turned into a Werewolf? hmm. fine. i can see that.

But teen X-sidekick with former fireworks powers turned into a blood sucking vampire???
    W T F

Here's hoping Brian Wood gets that sorted asap.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 SC  Moderator

@teerack: I am not absolutely sure, but I do not think she got her powers back after M-Day. She went from mutant to powerless and technologically enhanced to no powers to vampire. I remember pre Curse of Mutants there was a story Nation X that had her powerless and meeting with some of the X-Students at that time but declining to go to Utopia.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

lol Wow.

In other news, X-Men, featuring the fearless Vampilee in question--is debuting in a couple of days!!!

*yaoi fan-girl scream*

But yeah, turning her into a Vampire, all things considered, was the only step in any direction they could take, for her to gain former relevancy. And it's saved a good character from years in Limbo. Cannot wait for what Wood's got planned for her.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lykopis

As a long-time fan of Jubilee (who by the way did not see Jubes as only a free-wheeling young teenager who snapped gum), I enjoyed the journey Jubilee has been on since becoming a vampire. This was a character in heavy need of character development since the 90's -- this helped transfer her from smart-mouthed, sassy -- hey, look at me, I'm more cooler than you because I was an X-Man! -- to a mature, conflicted but now accepting woman who has been dealt with some nasty cards in her life.

Read her mini with Wolverine -- read her interaction with the X-Students on Utopia (shakes fist at Surge) and also her relationship with X-23 near the end of the latter's series. If you don't like the character, fine - to dismiss it as some lame attempt at being relevant ala Twilight or some shallow attempt to draw angst and conflict to a character is short-sighted.

She is still a gum-snapping, sassy thing -- but she's a lot more bad@ss and fun since she's grown up with her vampiric affliction.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lykopis said:

As a long-time fan of Jubilee (who by the way did not see Jubes as a free-wheeling young teenager who snapped gum), I enjoyed the journey Jubilee has been on since becoming a vampire. This was a character in heavy need of character development since the 90's -- this helped transfer her from smart-mouthed, sassy -- hey, look at me, I'm more cooler than you because I was an X-Man! -- to a mature, conflicted but now accepting woman who has been dealt with some nasty cards in her life.

Read her mini with Wolverine -- read her interaction with the X-Students on Utopia (shakes fist at Surge) and also her relationship with X-23 near the end of the latter's series. If you don't like the character, fine - to dismiss it as some lame attempt at being relevant ala Twilight or some shallow attempt to draw angst and conflict to a character is short-sighted.

She is still a gum-snapping, sassy thing -- but she's a lot more bad@ss and fun since she's grown up with her vampiric affliction.

Lyko the all knowing has spoken loool she's right jubilee's vamp transformation has added some new dimentions to her character so its nice seeing her channel some more darker aspects into her usual persona :)

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@lykopis said:

As a long-time fan of Jubilee (who by the way did not see Jubes as only a free-wheeling young teenager who snapped gum), I enjoyed the journey Jubilee has been on since becoming a vampire. This was a character in heavy need of character development since the 90's -- this helped transfer her from smart-mouthed, sassy -- hey, look at me, I'm more cooler than you because I was an X-Man! -- to a mature, conflicted but now accepting woman who has been dealt with some nasty cards in her life.

yeah, I have to agree with all of this, really.

I mean, I don't think it was something her character needed to become cool again, but she's been pretty cool as a vampire (after the initial Curse of the Mutants stuff, anyway), and her old powers were the least interesting thing about her anyway, so I'm kind of okay with her having a whole arsenal of new ones.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I think you'll find her powers were one of the most interesting things about Jubilee. Jubilee - the flashy powers = something the majority of her fans won't take a liking to. Which is why Wondra (et al) received negative feedback.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I think you'll find her powers were one of the most interesting things about Jubilee. Jubilee - the flashy powers = something the majority of her fans won't take a liking to. Which is why Wondra (et al) received negative feedback.

yeah, I guess. but I'm not the majority of her fans, I'm just me.

I've read every X-men comic with Jubilee in it, and I, personally, never thought her mutant powers were all that interesting. I didn't like the Wondra thing, but I think I really do like the vampire thing. But that's just me.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@oldnightcrawler: Haven't read it either, but it looks like tons of fun for only six issues.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: I'll ask the Tay, he reads everything. I'll let you know.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

I think the same as well -- Jubilee didn't need the upgrade and while I understand how it can come off as an attempt to keep an old character relevant, it's been done well (in my opinion.) I just like her. :)

@kiss_lamia: <3

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@teerack said:
    No Caption Provided

That's a really funny pic!!

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kiss_lamia

@oldnightcrawler: well i like her new powers but its ashame because her origial power level could have been developed to sub atomic level (nuclear) detonation of her plasma blasts, well if they followed her original mutant powers.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: well i like her new powers but its ashame because her origial power level could have been developed to sub atomic level (nuclear) detonation of her plasma blasts, well if they followed her original mutant powers.

yeah, I guess so. I dunno, there's characters who can do that already; personally, that doesn't really interest me.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I would have preferred this.

@kiss_lamia said:

yeah, I guess so. I dunno, there's characters who can do that already; personally, that doesn't really interest me.

Not alot of characters can do that. That is DC comics Justice League level stuff.

They'd have to make Jubilee an omega level mutant for it. A huge upgrade to her powers indeed.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiss_lamia said:

Yes I would have preferred this.

@oldnightcrawler said:

Not alot of characters can do that. That is DC comics Justice League level stuff.

They'd have to make Jubilee an omega level mutant for it. A huge upgrade to her powers indeed.

WOW!! you're right! instead of just blinding people and blowing stuff up, she could blow things up wayyyy more!

that would make her wayyyy more interesting!!

...sorry, you're just not going to convince me that Jubilee's mutant powers are interesting, or were, or could be.

I like her, she's a great character, I like that she had mutant powers; but her powers were always just kinda nothing special to me, and now she's got cool ones, so I don't miss them at all.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kiss_lamia

@oldnightcrawler: @avenger85 i liked both to be honest loool :) usually coz her original powers would come with a sassy come back line which is always great lool and her new powers are cool too lol :D did you read the wovlie and jub mini series? she was cool in that.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: its pretty good, you get see her trying to cope with the fact shes a vamp, you can get it in like grahic novel form so all of them are in there :) maybe check it out next time you go comic shopping and see if you like it :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: So is little miss boring still a vampire ?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teerack

@z3ro180 said:

@teerack: So is little miss boring still a vampire ?

Yes. She actually just finished training with The Forgiven to learn how to control herself better. Personally I think Jude got pretty un-boring after M-Day when she lost her powers, and then joined the New Warriors.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.