Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Does Xavier pay his X-Men?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

It just occurred to me reading Black Panther "The Bride" trade paperback and noting the sequence where his prospective bride Storm of the X-Men shops for a bridal suite-how do the X-Men support themselves- the Avengers have the Maria Stark Foundation to take care of their living expenses(and of course live rent free in Avengers' Mansion), the Fantastic Four live off various patents( Spider Man and Daredevil are respectively photographers/ teaching assistants or attorneys in their civilian identities of Peter Parker and Matt Murdock), Iron Man and Thor are as Tony Stark and Don Blake, billionaire industrialist /playboy and physician respectively ,but many of the X-Men(if not the majority), the late Janet Van Dyne (Wasp) was a heiress to a a fortune. yes, the Beast is a biochemist, Angel is heir to a fortune, Iceman's a CPA but Wolverine and Colossus to name but two , seem to have no marketable "real world" skills( unless you count killing people in Wolverine's case)?

Please clarify this issue for me.

Terry

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Xavier has vast wealth left over from his parents I believe, not to mention many of the X-Men have income of all different means. They probably "pool" their money

I imagine if the X-Men had to find jobs, guys like Wolverine and Colossus have many skills so they shouldn't have that tough of a time

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Thunderscream

Xavier, Archangel, Emma Frost, Magneto, Namor & Psylocke all have fortunes they've combined to keep the X-Men afloat

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

Killing people is a very marketable skill it's just not legal

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

It's pretty much a mutant commune.

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By OracleX

Where is he lately? I haven't seen any mention of him as siding with Logan or Scott.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jubilee042

@Thunderscream said:

Xavier, Archangel, Emma Frost, Magneto, Namor & Psylocke all have fortunes they've combined to keep the X-Men afloat

this

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By papad1992

Actually, Colossus is a great artist...

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By 218Comics

Pay? Probably not. But, the X-men are provided with the tools they need to train as mutants and to live their lives.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By butterflykyss

I always wondered how the X-men made a living outside of fighting crime. Very good question.

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By VanAce

@OracleX said:

Where is he lately? I haven't seen any mention of him as siding with Logan or Scott.

He was seen in the previous story arc in X-Men Legacy but I think he is either doing his own thing or will make a regular appearance in wolverine and the X-Men.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mayo88m

I read in one issue of X-Force, I think it was the Sex and Violence run with Domino, that they have credit cards apparently. At least that's what Wolverine says he's going to pay for his and Dom's beers with, but then again it may have just been sarcasm lost on me.

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By oldgum

Pay the teach, charge the students(as long as they have family and parents) and don't forget X-Corporation.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By armylife1124

Good question they always mentioned a monthly stipend in the Avengers, but I don't really remember mention from the X-Men comics, I guess they live off of Xaviers fortune, or maybe Psylocke, Angel and other X-Men contribute from theri considerable wealth as someone above stated.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

I don't think pay is the right word but he takes care of there various expensises

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By moywar700

They wear a disguise and rob banks, storm and gambit are really helpful being master theifs and whatnot.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jhazzroucher

nice topic. I wonder if all of them are being paid equally.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By batkevin74

Well Xavier is independently wealthy. He runs a private school which I'm guessing the first class or two actually paid money to go to, I think even Kitty Pryde's parents paid to get her in the door so did Bobby Drake's. Now that the Schism has happened well Wolverine probably owns a goldmine or seven in Canada and as others have pointed out several X-Men are loaded though Emma technically is living off the procedes of crime because for a long time she was a criminal.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By umbrafeline

chuckles gives them free room, board and education. that should be payment enough :-P

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By jordama

Can I just point out that Xavier hasn't lead the X-Men in years.

And I doubt that Cyclops would pay anyone.

Oh and the school has always been free I believe.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By John Valentine

@batkevin74 said:

Emma technically is living off the procedes of crime because for a long time she was a criminal.

Not necessarily. They're living off the profits of her business, which isn't a criminal enterprise.

edco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By edco76

They all have some marketable skills. I just assume they have some gigs on the side. Logan probably gets a pension, Colossus may do some free lance art. Kitty is a computer genius, so she can work from the school. Its not too hard to think that most of them have a way to earn money. Jubilee probably makes enough on July 4th to carry her through the year.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By nightwing91

I seem to recall an issue of X-Men where Collosus and Marrow go to an art museum where one of his paintings is hanging so I assume he sells his paintings or such. As for Wolverine he has money in the bank, and I believe an issue of New Avengers talked about his receiving compensation or such.

So I'm sure most of the X-Men have some kind of income.

Misterkyle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Misterkyle91

His mansion is really nice. They live in relative luxury when people aren't burning it down or trying to kill them. I wonder what he says to the freaky looking mutant students who can't pay tuition.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I would have to guess that the staff and students get some kind of weekly or monthly stipend. Most of the staff have never been able to hold a job, and many of the students are without families to support them.

- This makes a lot of sense as going out and getting jobs leaves them very exposed to be ambushed, and few still have any kind of secret ID. How hard would it be for a Purifier to assassinate Surge as she is standing bored behind the counter at 7-11? Set schedules that would be easy to get a hold of would make would make this too enticing to pass up. Never mind the moral aspect of the civilian casualties from these attempts on them.

- I would guess some kind of checking account where the money is direct deposited from a general fund for facility expenses. This would give them access to cash if needed or just pay via the card. Cards and accounts could also be set up under false names to make tracking them by purchase transactions difficult to impossible.

- The overall cost to give everyone a reasonable social life would be next to nothing in comparison to the wealth they have access to through Xavier, Warren, Emma, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.