Do you think these changes will be a good thing for X-Men comics.

#1 Posted by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

I know hard to predict right now, cause the changes will be happening over the next couple of months.

All-New X-Men

We have Cyclops with the new Uncanny X-Men and it looks like the team will be turn into the villains, even though Cyclops plans to protect the mutant race. I think Cyclops team will be enemies of the Avengers, the government and maybe the X-Men too.

Consequences

Emma and Scott will be breaking up. Not sure if Emma will stick by Cyclops or make it own her own. She may become leader of The Hellfire Club or hook up Namor. Who knows ?

Beast hopes the past Cyclops knocks some sense into the present Cyclops

Jean coming back, who knows what the writers have in store for her.

Wolverine is the headmaster and Storm is headmistress of Jean Grey institute. It looks like they will be leaders of the X-Men. There is a shift in leadership of the X-Men.

Cable's X-Force

Cable coming back, Bishop coming back , who knows what the future has in stored for them. Is Bishop still planning to killed Hope, will him and Cable be enemies again. Will Bishop be a good guy again or will he just be a villain of Psylocke team.

Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Cable and Psylocke will be leaders of the X-Men teams and titles.

Then Rogue and Havok are with the Avengers

Uncanny Avengers #1 Variant

With this in mind, do you think these changes will be a good for X-Men comics ? will it give positive development for those characters and what changes do you think you will enjoy the most ?

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue is a wh0re.

#3 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, but to be honest, I didn't like AVX or Schism, so the end results of both those events was bound to be uninteresting to me. And having read Uncanny Avengers #1, and reading the smarmy, psychotic crap that Wanda was spouting, I'm even more turned off. Pretty bad, since I've been a Wanda fan since her first appearance having read the reprints but she's been crapped on for years now. And to put it bluntly, it seems more like a way to get out of the contractual deals Marvel got into where different characters were tied up with different studios: if popular X-Men characters start to get identified with the Avengers, it strengthens their claim to be able to use the X-Men in future Avengers films.

All New X-Men: Not excited. Here is my problem with it: I've always said that since Bendis came on-board, it seemed that the creative teams for Marvels' titles preferred to tear down the heroes and make them the villains with little justification. The justification tends to be forced down our throats in the form of retcons and miniseries/teamups. I don't think a character becoming evil is that interesting; this already somewhat happened with the Cyclops/Apocalypse crap storyline, and even then it was boring.

Emma and Scott breaking up: Disappointing, but you need the right writing and creative team to pull it off well. It seems that most writers don't know how to write a woman that goes after what she wants and is blunt about her priorities. They just preferred to make her act like a b*&$%y assistant and cheerleader to Scott. At this point, I want her to go off and do her own thing, because she was always one of my favorite villains and she seemed to get watered down after Morrison's run on New X-Men. Not really caring if she hooks up with Namor - I think she may feel a physical attraction but he doesn't have anything of value that she could use, so that's a relationship that is a non-starter to me.

Jean coming back: I'm a Jean Grey fan, but I don't see anything interesting about bringing teen Jean back. I liked the Jean from "The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix" and the '80s-'00s stories, so I actually find her interesting without the Phoenix having anything to do with her storyline or power set. I generally don't like time travel when it seems like a mindwipe is going to erase the effects, and I don't see the value in this type of pseudo-retcon. Are they trying to suggest that the reason Jean/the Jean Clone created by the Phoenix chose to kill herself on the moon is because of Beasts' time tampering? I hope not, because that seriously weakens the impact of Jean's choice and character agency the original Dark Phoenix Saga had even after they've deconstructed and retconned the Force itself largely to irrelevance.

Storm in Wolverine and the X-Men: I'm against this idea mainly because she didn't take a stand before/during or after Schism and was written rather poorly in AvX, as well. I don't see her as a role model, any more, so this actually seems more like she will be Wolverines' assistant in the way Emma was versus being a co-leader. But I don't like WatX, anyway, so this is one of those comics I don't want to bash too much since I'm not likely to read it, anyway. However, there is the chance that she will be vindicated in this, so at least there is potential there. Honestly, though, I'd prefer her to be on X-Force versus being on multiple teams.

Cable's X-Force: Seems like a status quo concept to me; throwback to the '90s era X-Force and all that crap.

X-Force: I like the lineup, but not really too excited for this. I generally dislike it when characters are on two different teams. Even if the Storm on that team is an alternate reality Storm, it seems like a waste of a slot. I would be more supportive of this if she was only on one team, though. If this is the 616 Storm and she was on the team, I would need to be convinced that Psylocke was really stable, in order to accept the idea that she would be a strong enough leader to control this group. Between Storm and Spiral (who created Japanese Betsy in the first place), I don't think Betsy has the willpower to really direct them.

Uncanny Avengers: Of all of the X-Men, New Mutants, X-Factor and former X-Force members out there, one of the mutants chosen to be on the Uncanny Avengers lineup is...the mutant who put Ms. Marvel into a comatose state. Water partially under the bridge now, but still somewhat of a slap to the face. Also, I don't "buy" Rogue being on the lineup - in terms of power alone, Polaris and Havok would make a better duo for the lineup. And Havok's costume isn't dramatic enough - it seems like a step back from some of his more attention-getting costumes, and it looks like a demotion from the leadership position he has been in for years - strange considering he is ostensibly the leader, but can Marvel really sell us on the idea that Cap. America or Wolverine won't end up steamrolling him? It's just an unbalanced team, to the extent that even seeing them on the variant cover looks garish. Story-Related Red Flag: Two characters having a justifiable conversation that should come to a logical conclusion getting interrupted by villains conveniently attacking. It's reminds me of the '90s era "Power Rangers" show when Putties would randomly attack the heroes while they are doing some mundane activity just to make sure the audience didn't have to think that much.

#4 Posted by SoA (4695 posts) - - Show Bio

im liking how cyclops is leading a rogue x-team

still do not understand colossus being on a team consisting of domino, forge, dr nemesis, and cable (what exactly is he going to do just punch things?)

ill see how past x-men meet present x-men plays out (sounds stupid but i would like to see how stupid)

storm in WatX is a good thing , and its a good series that im glad isnt complete taken over by NOW

x-force(black-ops) has never let me down and since ive been avoiding spoilers i wanna know whats up with lady fantomex

uncanny avengers is crap.

#5 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the direction Cyclops is being taken. It makes for a much more 3-dimensional character. And no, I wouldn't qualify the members of his team as villains.

#6 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure that Kitty is still the Headmistress of the school and that Storm is only a teacher

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: She doesn't look much like a Headmistress in that image. lol.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really excited for this team:

It's got so much of what I liked about X-Men in the 80s.

#9 Edited by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I like it too, should of replace puck with Frenzy or Jubilee

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

#10 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: She looks like a dwarf. I chuckled seeing that panel.

#11 Posted by Veitha (2897 posts) - - Show Bio

I was skeptical about Marvel NOW titles, but more they post covers and previews more I become excited

#12 Posted by cdeoleo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

WatX is always a great read so I look forward to that. I do want to read Cable and X-Force because I find Forge and Cable interesting. I want to see how Havok does in an important role so I will read Uncanny Avengers. That is about it though.

#13 Posted by McKlayn (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very excited about the changes, Cyclops is being made into a villain when he isn't if anything he is more of a Punisher Hero now, which of course has their ups and downs. I personally an very eager and optimistic about everything I have seen thus far, but like you said only time can tell

#14 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not care anymore.

#15 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

WORD.

I'm excited, especially for the new Uncanny X-Men, Cable and X-Force and Uncanny X-Force. I prefer these changes to the post-Schism ones and those gave us a few months/best part of a year of great titles.

Bishop will be the villain of the new Uncanny X-Force, for the first arc. However, I have sneaking suspicion that he'll somehow join the team after that.

Bishop spent sixteen years and killed billions of people in the attempt to kill Cable's daughter. There's not much that can reform a friendship between the two, really.

Also, Emma is sticking with Cyclops' team, even if she's not in a romantic relationship with him.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

I do not care anymore.

You and me, both.

The only team that looks remotely interesting to me is Cable's, but I still probably won't read it.

#17 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8876 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the X-men titles have the potential to be great

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

She's paid for sex. That's how.

#19 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it COULD be. Whether it WILL be or not remains to be seen.

Also, Ororo's eyes in that fourth picture are quite alarming. There's something inexplicably evil about them.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio

They have potential, hopefully Batman won't fack it up

#21 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

When was she paid for sex? Or are you just being misogynistic?

#22 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

All the time. Do you not read X-Men?

#23 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

Ah. Trolling. Got it.

#24 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

Ah. Trolling. Got it.

On a more serious note, she's an absolute failure of a character.

#25 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

Ah. Trolling. Got it.

Well it is John Valentine.

#26 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

You're no better than I am. Don't act like it.

Posting sh!t like http://www.comicvine.com/x-23/29-3560/on-marjorie-lius-x-23-a-letter-to-helix-fangirls/92-678864/#21, replying with "She-Hulk's Vagina" and creating a thread about farting and burping really doesn't help your case.

#27 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@x_29 said:

Posting sh!t like http://www.comicvine.com/x-23/29-3560/on-marjorie-lius-x-23-a-letter-to-helix-fangirls/92-678864/#21, replying with "She-Hulk's Vagina" and creating a thread about farting and burping really doesn't help your case.

1. Yes I am.
  2. How is a thread that discusses my personal feelings towards the Hellion and X-23 breakup on an X-23 forum where i posted valid points and given a respectable argument considered trolling? If you do not agree with what I said that is fine, but just because you disagree with someone does not mean that they are automatically a troll.
  3. I asked people in the off-topic section whether or not they find fart and burp jokes funny since we see it a lot of it on television and movies and hear most viewers either lol or smh whenever there is one. Again, how is that trolling?
  4. Learn how to create a fully proper link.
#28 Posted by poisonfleur (2960 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

YES!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

@John Valentine said:

@x_29 said:

1. Yes I am.
  2. How is a thread that discusses my personal feelings towards the Hellion and X-23 breakup on an X-23 forum where i posted valid points and given a respectable argument considered trolling? If you do not agree with what I said that is fine, but just because you disagree with someone does not mean that they are automatically a troll.
  3. I asked people in the off-topic section whether or not they find fart and burp jokes funny since we see it a lot of it on television and movies and hear most viewers either lol or smh whenever there is one. Again, how is that trolling?
  4. Learn how to create a fully proper link.

1. If you think so.

2. Much that same as my views upon certain X-characters in my blog.

4. Ouch.

#30 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make a lot more sense if that was Frenzy and not Storm in the pic of X-Force.

#31 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29: @John Valentine:

Apologies for making that crass comment. Didn't exactly think it would result in this. I'm sorry, both of you.

@PhoenixoftheTides: Lol. Unfortunately for you, that's not the case.

(That's Ororo Munroe of the 616 Marvel Universe, if you needed any clarification).

#32 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@x_29: @John Valentine:

Apologies for making that crass comment. Didn't exactly think it would result in this. I'm sorry, both of you.

@PhoenixoftheTides: Lol. Unfortunately for you, that's not the case.

(That's Ororo Munroe of the 616 Marvel Universe, if you needed any clarification).

Is she going to have a mohawk from now on or is she going to have a mohawk in one title but long hair in the other at the same time?

#33 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: Lowe said that it'd be sported in multiple titles other than UXF, but i don't trust him. Considering she's sporting a mohawk in the Ultimate Universe now :s.

#34 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Hey, do not worry about it :)

#35 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1300 posts) - - Show Bio

WatX is fun and lighthearted beats the heavier stuff that the other X books dealt with and I hope it stays that way.

It well be interesting to see how scott is going to evolve.

The rest I well give a shot and if they don,t stack up they get dropped.

#36 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6029 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh I'm in between with these discussions

#37 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimsonlord53 said:

WatX is fun and lighthearted beats the heavier stuff that the other X books dealt with and I hope it stays that way.

WaTXM is just plain stupid.

#38 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1300 posts) - - Show Bio

^^To each there own.^^

#39 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

It definitely takes a lighter tone on the whole X-Men situation, I mean, we already have Peter David's X-Factor for comedic value, so I'm not overjoyed with WaTXM, but its a good addition as it diverges from the super-serious tone the X-Men have been trying to build up for a long time now.

Then again, it's your opinion, so meh.

#40 Posted by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

It definitely takes a lighter tone on the whole X-Men situation, I mean, we already have Peter David's X-Factor for comedic value, so I'm not overjoyed with WaTXM, but its a good addition as it diverges from the super-serious tone the X-Men have been trying to build up for a long time now.

I think Wolverine and X-Men is too childish, I mean the artwork is dreadful and some of the stories are pretty boring. One of the schools major villians is a kid. So far I've only like three chapters from the series. The first story arc. Then were 2 titles that were part of the Avengers VS X-Men event. One where Cyclops team turn up at school asking for help and the other one focus on Rachel Grey. The title is too childish, a least we can relied on the other titles, not to be like that.

@John Valentine said:

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@fodigg said:

@John Valentine said:

@time said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Rogue is a wh0re.

How is she a whore ?

Ah. Trolling. Got it.

How she a failure of character by the way. You do realise she had be the only X-lady who has grown up more than anyone and she be only X-lady who had a title dedicated to her for about 5/6 years. What growth have you seen in Emma and Storm character ?

What about Iceman, kitty or even Kurt, what growth have you seem in them ? over the last couple of years.

Only Cyclops and Wolverine have had more development than she has. Maybe Hope too

#41 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@John Valentine said:

How she a failure of character by the way. You do realise she had be the only X-lady who has grown up more than anyone and she be only X-lady who had a title dedicated to her for about 5/6 years. What growth have you seen in Emma and Storm character ?

What about Iceman, kitty or even Kurt, what growth have you seem in them ? over the last couple of years.

Only Cyclops and Wolverine have had more development than she has. Maybe Hope too

Nice to know that she's no longer working for a terrorist cell with Mystique and absorbing Avengers' personalities and powers. She should get a medal from Captain America.

Comparing her to Emma and Storm is pointless as we weren't talking about either of them. We were talking about Rogue.

But, admittedly, Emma and Storm haven't had much going on with them either. Emma's been treated badly, especially under Fraction, but the Namor thing with her and the Phoenix Force possession is considerable development. Storm's had her squad in X-Men Vol. 3 for the last year too.

Psylocke's had more development in the last few years in Uncanny X-Force, much more than anything that's happened to Rogue. Legacy, for the most part, was a really boring book when it just centered on Rogue. Psylocke and Storm have also had mini-series devoted to them in 2009 and 2008, respectively.

Magik has had MUCH more development than any X-Woman in the past four years. From X-Infernus, to New Mutants to Uncanny X-Men. So much more complex than Rogue's constant failings in the positions she's been put in and the trivial love triangles.

So, what's happened with Rogue? She's been featured a lot, like Emma, but not much has happened with her. Even when she led that squad of dysfunctional X-Men pre-MC she ended up comatose and half that team betraying her. Members she chose to have on the team. Poor judgement.

She was then crazy and wandering around the Australian Outback for a while.

Oh, she can control her powers now? Cool. Still doesn't change the fact that her teammate, Nightcrawler, was killed in protecting Hope with her.

Her job as mentor to younger mutants hardly went down well. She threatened Hellion for doing what she failed to do, save Hope (and a human child) from near certain death at the hands of Omega Sentinel (someone Rogue chose to have on the squad again after she went crazy last time - stupid). Cyclops deemed her so incompetent that he removed her from her job as Hope's guardian a few issues post SC, when, yet again, Rogue failed to protect her.

What about the time she called in Cyclops' team to take down Exodus, but it ended in the younger Utopian mutants coming to help instead?

Or the fact she allowed Weapon Omega and Mimic to stay at the school?

The constant Rogue-Gambit thing is boring as - thank god that's over. The Magneto-Rogue thing was even worse and a massive diservice to the Master in Magnetism.

I'd say Kitty sacrificing herself to save Earth from the space bullet, being brought back to Earth by Magneto, finishing her relationship with Colossus and acting as headmistress of the JGSHL counts as a considerable amount of development.

Iceman had a ridiculous amount of development in Carey's pre-MC X-Men. More so than Rogue.

But, development doesn't equate to competence. Rogue has been featured a lot, but constantly shown to suck in any position she's been in.

#42 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

It was entertaining for the first few issues, but now it's getting in the way of itself with its focus on silly jokes more than actual valid development of characters people want to see and plot progression, IMO. WaTXM needs to focus on characters most readers want to see (New X-Men characters, NOT Kade Kildore) and cut the stupidity.

I feel that New X-Men and Gen X were much, much better titles for younger X-Men.

#43 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have been okay with these changes if they weren't so forced. But since it's happening now, I like to see where these new directions take the characters, whether it will make the character good or evil in the long run.

#44 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

It was entertaining for the first few issues, but now it's getting in the way of itself with its focus on silly jokes more than actual valid development of characters people want to see and plot progression, IMO. WaTXM needs to focus on characters most readers want to see (New X-Men characters, NOT Kade Kildore) and cut the stupidity.

I feel that New X-Men and Gen X were much, much better titles for younger X-Men.

I blame AvX, I mean, it has literally taken out half the issues released. Fair enough, when WatXM first came out, it was fresh and new, and really entertaining. then AvX blew the doors open.

I feel WatXM should have more focus on students too. That was pretty much the reason why I was hooked to New X-Men, but I also don't mind them focusing on the teachers too, but should at least try to spend less time on the characters we already see everywhere, I mean, Wolverine appears everywhere already, and we barely get any Dust, Surge, Chamber (who appeared once), and Frenzy (who has been tossed into limbo since AvX started and her spotlight issue passed).

#45 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

I blame AvX, I mean, it has literally taken out half the issues released. Fair enough, when WatXM first came out, it was fresh and new, and really entertaining. then AvX blew the doors open.

I feel WatXM should have more focus on students too. That was pretty much the reason why I was hooked to New X-Men, but I also don't mind them focusing on the teachers too, but should at least try to spend less time on the characters we already see everywhere, I mean, Wolverine appears everywhere already, and we barely get any Dust, Surge, Chamber (who appeared once), and Frenzy (who has been tossed into limbo since AvX started and her spotlight issue passed).

I don't really find AvX to be a valid excuse for it falling to sh!t. Uncanny managed to be awesome throughout AvX. Every single issue was great. Half of WaTXM's so-called AvX issue focused on other irrelevant stuff - Kade Kilgore and Doop (although, the Doop issue's the best issue since the first arc). I found the actual AvX WaTXM to be somewhat tolerable.

The focus on Iceman, Kitty etc is welcome in my mind.

#46 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@tomchu said:

@John Valentine said:

@Crimsonlord53 said:

I don't really find AvX to be a valid excuse for it falling to sh!t. Uncanny managed to be awesome throughout AvX. Every single issue was great. Half of WaTXM's so-called AvX issue focused on other irrelevant stuff - Kade Kilgore and Doop (although, the Doop issue's the best issue since the first arc). I found the actual AvX WaTXM to be somewhat tolerable.

The focus on Iceman, Kitty etc is welcome in my mind.

I found Uncanny's AvX Tie-ins irrelevant to the overall outcome of AvX, and Magik's whole ''I could have made you back to normal, but I was being a total b!tch" thing felt too rushed IMO. The first two issues of Uncanny's AvX crossover though I felt were awesome, I mean, it delivered what we wanted, Avengers fighting X-Men, but then the plot drifted off and made almost no sense. For starters, the Phoenix 5, 5 people who claim they can wipe out the world any time they wanted to, gets captured by Sinister and needs to rely on the other X-Men to save their butts. Also, if you're giving crap to focusing on Kade Kilgore, then you should also criticize Sinister's issue (which I actually liked significantly more than Kade's spotlight issue). Also, Sinister has more to talk about since he's been around since the late 80s, and is more of a familiar figure, whereas Kade needs some time to grow, Jason Aaron needs to experiment a little to see what works and what doesn't work for the character.

Fact is, we don't get Kitty and Iceman in any other series (well, Iceman appears in Astonishing, but that's about it). I don't mind who they focus the issue on, as long as its not Wolverine (even though this is HIS book), since he's everywhere on the market already. Any approach works for me here, as long as the characters stay in character.

And yes, Doop's issue has been since AvX started

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.