Do people like the New X-Men looks (Morrison)

#1 Posted by jojo111 (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I've noticed there's some hatred for the Morrsion's xmen's looks, but I for one like them, though I do prefer Jean to be in this jacket. Do yall hate them?

#2 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked them, so uniform.

#3 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked them, it held a breath of fresh air as compared to the colourful individuality they had in the 80s, and it reminded me of the 90s where they all had uniforms.

But I hate to admit, I personally don't like that image used, and the art felt a bit rushed, with shoddy results.

#4 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

@jojo111: I liked the look overall, but I wasn't a big fan of how most of the artists of that period drew them, and there were some things I wasn't crazy about.

the Good- The overall look and feel of them having a unified style that was distinct from the rest of marvel's characters (and not overly superhero-y) worked well for establishing the tone of the stories at the time. I liked that they stopped bothering with masks and (especially) those 90's style headpieces.

And I still think cat-Beast is the coolest looking version of the character but..

the Bad- I hated how Wolverine just stopped wearing a shirt. (And the little goatee Quietly drew on him; luckily, most artists ignored it).

I hated how the Beast always seemed to be wearing more clothes than everyone else (even if it did make sense with the story, it just seemed out of character).

I didn't like Emma's outfit at all (Quietly pulled it off, but it made no sense and everyone else who drew it just underlined how ridiculous it was).

Every character just seemed to have wayyy too many X's on them.

#5 Posted by Veitha (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Emma's outfit, it's one of my favourites

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

I love them.One of the best X-Men outfits ever!

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved. Loved. Loved them. These outfits simply exude modern Vivenne Westwood. Fit the real era. Fit the real mandate. They killed it. Probably love them so much because they were part of a run i adore so much, but Jean Grey never looked so dominant.

Also love how the color code applied to the other teams, too. The good ole' days.

#8 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

In the E for Extinction TPB, there's a little behind-the-scenes look where Morrison explained the new costume designs. He said basically it was modernizing the X-Men look - imitating contemporary military/leather fashions that were in style. He wanted to make the X-Men culturally relevant again, so the idea of going against their traditional superhero costumes was the idea.

Personally, I liked them. I wouldn't want them to permanently keep the look, but just for Morrison's run, it served its purpose. It does look like the uniforms of a countercultural movement would wear. That being said, there are way too many Xs, and the only artist capable of doing them justice is Quitely. Even Reis' depiction was kinda meh.

Loved Emma Frost's flesh-X as well.

#9 Posted by judasnixon (6653 posts) - - Show Bio

Never liked them.....

#10 Posted by Teerack (7069 posts) - - Show Bio

I always hated those outfits. they looked more like a band then a super hero team :P

#11 Edited by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked them, specially Emma's.

#12 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it more than its contemporary -Ultimate X-Men costume.

#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved. Loved. Loved them. These outfits simply exude modern Vivenne Westwood. Fit the real era. Fit the real mandate. They killed it. Probably love them so much because they were part of a run i adore so much, but Jean Grey never looked so dominant.

Also love how the color code applied to the other teams, too. The good ole' days.

I totally agree with you about Jean. And I thought it was a great look for Cyclops, and to a lesser extent Beast. Those were great uniforms, and, like you say, especially for the way the team was operating at the time.

But I still will never understand why Wolverine inexplicably stopped wearing a shirt, or anything about what Emma was wearing.

#14 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3632 posts) - - Show Bio

beast looks like hes going to the opera and he look like beast from beauty and the beast and i dont like scott's or jean's x on the glove thing...ick

#15 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3600 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved these outfits. Mainly because they looked like something adults would wear, instead of the random color combinations and swimwear most of the members of the team would wear. Those belts rocked!

#16 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared for them and really disliked Quitely's art, to boot.

#17 Edited by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean and Scott costumes look good. Shame the series was over-rated.

#18 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

Jean and Scott costumes look good. Shame the series was over-rated.

I don't know that it's overrated, it is a very polarizing series for most X-fans.

The real shame is that it didn't have more consistency, especially with the art.

#19 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked them, never had a problem with them, but i don't love them. i liked emma's a lot though, a very iconic look for her. I think the look actually suited the boys a lot but jean should have had something more unique like Emma had.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.