Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Dis the sellouts, support the underdogs

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By adamTRMM

This is the thread where we confess that there are popular and loved characters we actually dislike/hate/don't give a crap about, and reveal the love for those whom fans generally tend to dis the same way you might have had with some of the popular characters you've never understood their success among fandom or just haven't felt anything positive about him/her.

For example:

Popular character I don't care about: Gambit

Unpopular character people tend to hate but I actually like: Vulcan

MadamFireblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try being a fan of the younger mutants.

Lord I miss them having an ongoing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I strongly dislike: Hank Mccoy. (He seems to completely misunderstand the concept of "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should") He's become more and more unlikeable, and even moments like him nearly dying tend not to get him the sympathy it should, because he crosses ethical lines even in near death.

I'm actually a supporter of: Angel- Warren Worthington. I mean i feel for the guy really, but no one seems to respect him no matter how cool he is in retrospect. Even now, he's had a huge culmination of all his storylines since he first lost his wings in X-Factor and yet he's just floating in the JGS, even as his kids run rampant as a major part of Uncanny Avengers. Plus his primary love interest is Psylocke....if you can't give him props for sticking it through despite her MANY issues, idk.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I've never really cared one way or the other about Jean Grey, Iceman, or Angel. Or Cable.

I actually really like Quire, Oya, Broo, Eye-boy, Bling, and all of the new students on Cyclop's team. And I think Doop is awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Try being a fan of the younger mutants.

Lord I miss them having an ongoing.

I can't add anything more to this. Outside of maybe mentioning the students who lost their powers post M-Day and left to rot while new ones get attention.

So, I guess sellouts are new mutant students (Tempus, etc) and underdogs are the older, powerless ones (Laurie, etc).

rodwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: dont you think ice man is so funny in all new xmen tho? I agree about jean grey and angel though.

I like the stepford cuckoos, love magik and think longshot is pretty cool (been reading the xmen in Australia era). i was actually surprised i liked long shot, but the way his powers work sometimes made me laugh.

I hate blue beast sometimes as he just hates on scott for crappy reasons. Also dont really like bishop, only read about him during the whole "lets kill hope". Forge is a mixed bag as i like his background but he just feels boring to me and i hate that he doesnt feel boring to storm. Actually i hate that black panther wasnt boring for storm either. I really wanted the whole storm and Dr Doom thing to happen :)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@rodwell said:

@oldnightcrawler: dont you think ice man is so funny in all new xmen tho? I agree about jean grey and angel though.

I stopped reading All-New X-Men after issue 15, but I did like him in that.

I do like Iceman, he can be a lot of fun, I just wouldn't care if I never saw him again.

He's a likable character, he just always seems like the that guy comic relief. Like the Human Torch, Sunspot, or Beast Boy, he's just got the kind of outspoken class-clown role. Which does make him likable, but the X-men have lots of characters who are actually more funny and have more distinct senses of humor without being just the bombastic funny guy.

I like the bombastic funny guy role, but the X-men already have Jubilee and Rockslide, both of whom interest me more, personally.

rodwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Why did you stop reading all new xmen? The trial of jean grey was really interesting? Plus isnt all new xmen and uncanny xmen the main x titles now. followed by xmen and wolverine and xmen? p.s. what essential series should i get next and do you know how magneto goes from headmaster to bad guy?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rodwell said:
    1. Why did you stop reading all new xmen? The trial of jean grey was really interesting?
    2. Plus isnt all new xmen and uncanny xmen the main x titles now. followed by xmen and wolverine and xmen?
    3. p.s. what essential series should i get next
    4. and do you know how magneto goes from headmaster to bad guy?

1. I was reading a lot of books at the time and lots of them were X-,men books, All-new' was a lot of fun, but I just didn't find the premise as interesting as those of the other teams at the time. And then I didn't like Battle of the Atom which was kind of revolving around the All-new X-men premises I was already getting tired of.

2. It's probably subjective based on which books you follow or prefer, but in my mind X-MenandUncanny X-Menare the two main books (and mostly* always have been). Even though the All-new' team ostensibly shares a base with the Uncanny team, they aren't really outlaws the way Cyclops' team is; they're kind of just their own thing. If there's more than two main books, I'd count Wolverine & the X-Men as third, but that's just me. If you only read or only like All-new' and Uncanny', I guess they'd be the main books to you.

3. what was the last one you read?

4. I don't know when he stopped being Headmaster, I think that must have happened in the original The New Mutants, which I never read. Then he was hanging around in the Savage Land for a while, but he didn't really go back to being a villain right away.. not until X-Men #1 - Rubicon.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dislike popular: Beast, Iceman, and recent Wolverine.

Liked underdogs: Stepford Cuckoos and most of the older mutants that get ignored for new ones.

But the best is the Golden God known as...

Goldballs!                                                                                             Kneel before him!
    Goldballs! Kneel before him!

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@rodwell said:

I hate blue beast sometimes as he just hates on scott for crappy reasons. Also dont really like bishop, only read about him during the whole "lets kill hope". Forge is a mixed bag as i like his background but he just feels boring to me and i hate that he doesnt feel boring to storm. Actually i hate that black panther wasnt boring for storm either. I really wanted the whole storm and Dr Doom thing to happen :)

I loved that in the Chaos Engine Trilogy

rodwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I have essential uncanny xmen 1-11, I made a thread to help me know what series to get next but no one is voting on it. I have mixed emotions about them all, for example, classic xmen 1-3 would be good to get as its the beginning of the series as so then i would have xmen 60's-90's. However told early stuff is kinda boring.

Xfactor would be good as i want to see how jean returned and what happened with scotts baby. Also apocoplypse and archangel. However some of the comics are already in the xmen1-11 set i have so will have duplicates.

Then their is wolverine, i would be intrested to read how he lost his healing factor (which he is without in extinction agenda) also what happened with mariko, relationship wise and her death. Plus look into death strike when she goes cyborg, dont know if thats in the collection. However looking at prices this will be the most expensive collection and i am reading the older comics to get the history/background of the xmen and so not sure if a solo series will be to limited only focusing on one character.

Then their is dazzler... i like how i only have to pick up 2 books and i have complete series and will be good to see the interaction with rouge dazzler that takes place. Down side same as wolverine, not sure if solo series is quickest way to learn xmen history, also not too sure how good the series is.

Ok so thats my take on the essential collections.... any advice appreciated.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rodwell: well, if you've already got the first 11 volumes of Essential X-Men, and it's X-men history in general that you're most interested in, there's two things I'd suggest, either

1. go for the Essential X-Factor run. It was basically the first other X-men book, and I think it holds up better as a series about the original team than going back and trudging through the 60's. or
    2. keep going forward into the 90's from where Essential X-men vol.11 leaves off. X-Men: Mutant Genesis is a solid place to start, and both X-men and Uncanny X-men had some great stories in '93-94, from The Uncanny X-Men #300 - Legacies through to Fatal Attractions, and on as far as Phalanx Covenant were all pretty solid, classic stories.

Most any X-men comics from 91'-95 are as good if not better than most of what happened in the 80's, so if I was going to suggest one of these directions more than the other, it would probably be the second, but they're both classic X-men eras in my mind. Hope that helps.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamTRMM

I think people don't really like Polaris, Exodus, Darwin, Azazel, Omega, Nezhno, Indra, people hate Joseph lol All are potentially great characters.

Never cared for most of the New Mutants even though on paper they seem to be ok characters, they're kinda too boring. Dazzler, Beast, Iceman, Cable, Shaw are other guys who look good on paper yet never did anything for me. Molly Hayes and Mardox, I just don't understand why they exist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.