Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Differences between the movies and books.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Funrush

Recently, I watched the first two movies in the X-Men series. (X-Men and X2.) I've decided that I want to start reading or at least get into the X-Men series. What are the differences that I should know between the books and the first two movies, and what should I start reading first?

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Nudeviking

Wolverine is not 6 feet tall in the comics. He is a tiny, tiny dude. Also Rogue is not a teenager. As to what to read first? If you liked the movies you could read God Loves, Man Kills which is what the second movie was kind of based on and is probably one of the best X-Men books ever drafted. If you kind of just want to jump into more recent stuff you could read the Messiah Trilogy starting with Messiah Complex.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By tomchu

There are ALOT of differences between the movie and comic books, the list will be endless...

The few that come to mind are:

a) Sabretooth is not on the Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants

b) Magneto did not lead a Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants with Mystique in it

c) Lady Deathstrike is not mind-controlled by Stryker, she worked for another group known as The Reavers

d) There was a story arc where the Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants tried assassinating Senator Kelly, but the X-Men intervened.

e) Senator Kelly was not transformed into a blob of goo/ Mutant.

f) Wolverine DID kiss Rogue to save her life, but it was in an entirely different story arc.

... and the list goes on.

The Movies are based off famous storylines

X-Men is based (loosely) on "Days of Future's Past"

X2 is based off "God Loves, Man Kills"

X-Men: The Last Stand is also based (loosely) on Dark Phoenix Saga

If you want to find out what the X-Men are doing RIGHT NOW, read Regenesis, and then proceed with the current Marvel Crossover, Avengers Vs. X-Men

If you want to have some background information about WHY the X-Men are in their situation right now, Read Messiah Complex, Second Coming and Messiah War. The Messiah Trilogy is collected in three separate TPBs or you can hunt down the individual issues.

If you want to know X-Men from a more classic point of view, pick up the 3 TPBs the movies are based off, they have pretty good story lines (but a bit dated too).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.