Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Difference between all those X-Men books

Vermoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vermoot

I'm sorry guys, because I have the feeling that this question might have been asked a few times already, but...

I'm really new to X-Comics and I see all those books :

• X-Men
    • Uncanny X-Men
    • Astonishing X-Men
    • X-Men : Legacy

And maybe some more... Like New mutants or whatever.

My question is simple : What are the differences between all those books ? Is it like Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, etc ?

Are there some DO NOT READ and some MUST READ among those ?

Thanks a lot :)

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@Vermoot:

X-Men- Storm's strike team from Utopia

Uncanny X-Men - Utopia's Avengers/Nuclear Deterrent

Astonishing X-Men - Wolverine's street team

X-Men Legacy - The Xavier Institute (or Jean Grey School's) Security

Uncanny X-Force - The best title IMO, Wolverine's secret squad of killers. No one must know. Most of these stories will one day be considered classics.

Wolverine and the X-Men - Wolverine, Kitty, Iceman, Beast, and the students of the Institute fighting various threats.

X-Factor - Jamie Madrox (Multiple man's) Investigation Bureau

New Mutants - Utopian strike team

X-Treme X-Men - Dazzler's dimension-hopping adventures

The First X-Men - The first mutant freedom fighters from the 1950s

Wolverine - the adventures of a failed samurai

Gambit - the adventures of a reformed theif

This is the current line up of X-titles, but in a few months, there will be new cancellations and creative changes.

Vermoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vermoot

@Nightcrawler23:

Wow, no wonder I was confused. Thanks a lot :)

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@Vermoot: No problem. It's a very convoluted continuity.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#5  Edited By time1

If I was you I would wait till these come out, collect these titles in October and November

• X-Men - Ok title, the line up is good but the stories are bad. It should get better though
    • Uncanny X-Men- is a rubbish title, it's been rubbish for about 5 years now.
    • Astonishing X-Men - Average at Best
    • X-Men : Legacy- Good title

Read Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force and the Gambit series.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@time said:

If I was you I would wait till these come out, collect these titles in October and November

• X-Men - Ok title, the line up is good but the stories are bad. It should get better though

Read Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force and the Gambit series.

Lol.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daycrawler

@time said:

Legacy has been awful since Gage took over! All poorly scripted emo-drama and exposition via characters talking to themselves for no apparent reason other than the benefit of the reader. Stories have been pretty predictable and bland. The art has been pretty meh too.

On the other hand, X-Men has been great since Wood and Lopez took over the title and saved it from Gischler's aimless plots. Uncanny has also been great since Gillen took over IMO, but it's a pretty moot point given it's ending after issue #20.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By poisonfleur

X-men: It's pretty good. (Love the line up) If you are a Storm Fan it's a MUST

Uncanny X-men: Was good... Until regensis.. It's kinda meh If you are a Cylops and Emma fan, you should be reading this.

Astonishing X-men: It think is pretty good. Very unique stories. Imo it's worth a read. Almost all the books are good, give or take 2 of them. The first 5 or 6 are just amazing.

Legacy: If you are a Rogue fan, it's a MUST. It's okay.. I guess. I don't like the way Rogue is depicted.

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By MrArrogant

If you want to get in on an X-men book definitely check out Wolverine and the X-men, it's very new reader friendly (I myself being a new reader) and it both hilarious and features great stories. I would also definitely recommend Uncanny X-force (like everyone else will) as it's just awesome.

The upcoming All-New X-men will also be a very accessible jump on point, and the start of a huge run by Bendis (who can be very polarizing but is very good with teenage characters like the cast in the book) so I'd say check that out when it's available too if you want to be part of the next big thing for the X-franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.