Did they have it coming?

• 65 results
#1 Edited by time (4576 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe in Karma, you know, what goes around, comes around. If you do something bad to someone, it will come back on you sometime in the future. This topic is about Emma and Scott, did they have it coming.

As we know Cyclops will be fighting Emma Frost in the Avengers vs. X-Men story and one of them might be killed off by the end of story. I’m sure Emma kissing Namor and the Phoenix Force will be cause of it. So did they have it coming?

Cyclops has treated Jean Grey with such disrespect during Morrison run. He has treated other X-Men characters poorly as well. So does he deserve it, does he deserve to die.

Then there is Emma Frost, who has had everything handed to her on a plate. Not really earning her right to be X-Men leading lady. Marvel sent Jean packing and Emma Frost has had no real competition from any other X-lady. To make matters worse, she hasn’t really done much since she been X-Men leading lady, she just lived in Scott Summers shadow. So did she have it coming, if she is killed off, does she deserve it. What about Emma relationship with Scott, does it deserve to end.

Whether your a fan of Emma, Scott or Jean Grey, please share your views. Did they have it coming.

#2 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

................................................Yes to both

However, if it comes down to it, I don't think that Emma should die, and Cyclops walks..............though both of them are going to have a helluva lot of potential (story wise) if they are allowed to live at the end of this crazy event.

#3 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that is a little onesided. I can't think of a single current X-Men who hasn't made mistakes that could be talked about in this scenario. Yes Scott made mistakes down the road, but he was put in an impossible situation and some how kept his people afloat. I agree he treated some of his subordinates poorly and should have been more open to their ideas and opinions, but to say he deserves to kill his partner over his mistakes doesn't seem right.

As for Emma, she fell in love with a taken person and if Scott didn't feel something for her he wouldn't have stayed with her all this time. She is currently the Phoenix and I can't say if I know how much control she has. She almost killed Hawkeye "I'm PO'd about that one" and made out with Namor, but how much of that is really her?

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Yet another pointless Time Cyclops/Emma hate thread....

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27343 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

#6 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and no.

Scott and jean where on the out's when emma made her pitch. Scott's actions of late have being more of a leader then the combat teams leader. I agree emma's had little challenge but then she was a lesser jean rip off.

The fact that scott and emma believe that the phoenix could save the mutant race always bugged me considering there history with the PF.

#7 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Haha

And I think they should just both die so we can have Wolverine and Storm lead the X-Men together!

#8 Posted by Rickbarry (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

No. The only person that deserves to die is Namor. He's a mass murderer at this point. Scott really doesn't deserve anything to happen to him. He started seeing another woman. Emma should be thrown to the curb, but that's about it.

#9 Posted by Yasiiii4 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill them both, I've had enough of them for a while

#10 Posted by God_Spawn (35981 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

#11 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yasiiii4 said:

Kill them both, I've had enough of them for a while

#12 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Haha

And I think they should just both die so we can have Wolverine and Storm lead the X-Men together!

Dood thatd be so kewl and stuff lyke omg.

Seriously though, being tired of a character is never an excuse for them to die. They can lose the focus for a bit easily. Death is stupid, and it's very hypocritical to complain about Marvel killing so many characters when you'd like to use character death as a tool to get make characters lose the spotlight as you wish. That wasn't directed towards anyone specifically, besides the OP I guess.

#13 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Haha

Seriously though, being tired of a character is never an excuse for them to die. They can lose the focus for a bit easily. Death is stupid, and it's very hypocritical to complain about Marvel killing so many characters when you'd like to use character death as a tool to get make characters lose the spotlight as you wish. That wasn't directed towards anyone specifically, besides the OP I guess.

Someone is going in a box at the end of this event......Given a choice between the two, I'm sparing Emma

#14 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Haha

Someone is going in a box at the end of this event......Given a choice between the two, I'm sparing Emma

It won't be Cyclops. I don't feel like retyping it all, so enjoy.

#15 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

@White Mage said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@papad1992 said:

@John Valentine said:

Haha

It won't be Cyclops. I don't feel like retyping it all, so enjoy.

I doubt either one of them are going to die in this event.......However, should one need to go.....I will personally ship him off to the morgue.

#16 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott is going to probably get a pretty bad reputation after this event. Hope not though.

Emma is probably going to come out of it worse. She kissed Namor and led him to Wakanda. But seeing them conspire against an African nation just annoys me. Scott is trying to do good but Emma and Namor are going to ruin it with their big egos. They're the Phoenixes. They can go and retrieve Transonic but they shouldn't flood a country as seen in previews.

I think it will be either Emma or Namor. Scott's got enough crap to deal with and he does't need their drama.

I honestly think it's Illyana who is the most badas$ Phoenix. She gets sh*t done!

#17 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Madame_Mist said:

Scott is going to probably get a pretty bad reputation after this event. Hope not though.

Emma is probably going to come out of it worse. She kissed Namor and led him to Wakanda. But seeing them conspire against an African nation just annoys me. Scott is trying to do good but Emma and Namor are going to ruin it with their big egos. They're the Phoenixes. They can go and retrieve Transonic but they shouldn't flood a country as seen in previews.

I think it will be either Emma or Namor. Scott's got enough crap to deal with and he does't need their drama.

I honestly think it's Illyana who is the most badas$ Phoenix. She gets sh*t done!

I think (and hope) Scott will end up being the saviour of this event. He's the most rational and controlled of the Phoenix Five. Whereas it's apparent that the others have their worse human traits taking over (Namor and Emma have their arrogance, their lust etc). This coupled with the power of the Phoenix Force will lead to serious consequences.

It's largely irrelevant where the nation is. It just so happens that it's Wakanda.

#18 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

I believe in Karma, you know, what goes around, comes around. If you do something bad to someone, it will come back on you sometime in the future. This topic is about Emma and Scott, did they have it coming.

As we know Cyclops will be fighting Emma Frost in the Avengers vs. X-Men story and one of them might be killed off by the end of story. I’m sure Emma kissing Namor and the Phoenix Force will be cause of it. So did they have it coming?

Cyclops has treated Jean Grey with such disrespect during Morrison run. He has treated other X-Men characters poorly as well. So does he deserve it, does he deserve to die.

Then there is Emma Frost, who has had everything handed to her on a plate. Not really earning her right to be X-Men leading lady. Marvel sent Jean packing and Emma Frost has had no real competition from any other X-lady. To make matters worse, she hasn’t really done much since she been X-Men leading lady, she just lived in Scott Summers shadow. So did she have it coming, if she is killed off, does she deserve it. What about Emma relationship with Scott, does it deserve to end.

Whether your a fan of Emma, Scott or Jean Grey, please share your views. Did they have it coming.

Yeah remember when he went up to the forest to kiss Wolverine? No, that was Jean.

Other than Beast I don't think he's treated any characters badly. He let Beast suffer for a while longer until he could gather x-force to rescue him and even now Beast has forgiven the people who tortured him (Mimic and Weapon Omega).

Emma didn't get given everything on a plate she's stood by the x-men since Morrissons run. She's been there for every crisis like Messiah Complex, Second Coming and Utopia. Where was Storm or Rogue? (I know they would have been there, but they weren't while Emma was).

People keep saying that she lives in Scotts shadow and hasn't really done anything but that's because she agrees with him most of the time so she's not going to argue against him for the sake of it. What did Jean do anyway when Scott was in charge? The x-men when Jean was were just a team it was alright if Jean/Storm/Logan went off on a mission with their own team. Nowadays the x-men are on the verge of extinction it's much more important Scott to know what's happening and to have control.

#19 Posted by poisonfleur (2708 posts) - - Show Bio

I am still surprised Emma has become the leader of the X-men... It's a bit of a slap in the face to a few other X-men.... I liked her better as being a professor snape-like character. But Emma is cool. Does she deserve to die? No, I don't think so.. :/

But I think Scott is everything a 90s/80s X-men isn't. And should go out as a villain, since that's the path he is on.

Namor--- Needs to get out of the X-men's spotlight.. Seriously Marvel? Deciding Namor was a mutant and head X-men with the Phoenix Force...?? ....Really? That was wayyy too forced in our faces...

#20 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7200 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@time said:

Yeah remember when he went up to the forest to kiss Wolverine? No, that was Jean.

Other than Beast I don't think he's treated any characters badly. He let Beast suffer for a while longer until he could gather x-force to rescue him and even now Beast has forgiven the people who tortured him (Mimic and Weapon Omega).

Emma didn't get given everything on a plate she's stood by the x-men since Morrissons run. She's been there for every crisis like Messiah Complex, Second Coming and Utopia. Where was Storm or Rogue? (I know they would have been there, but they weren't while Emma was).

People keep saying that she lives in Scotts shadow and hasn't really done anything but that's because she agrees with him most of the time so she's not going to argue against him for the sake of it. What did Jean do anyway when Scott was in charge? The x-men when Jean was were just a team it was alright if Jean/Storm/Logan went off on a mission with their own team. Nowadays the x-men are on the verge of extinction it's much more important Scott to know what's happening and to have control.

She was there in the first two, in Utopia, she was too busy looking after her dying husband, thanks.

#21 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Like I said Storm would have been there for Utopia if she could but she wasn't and Emma was. I'm not saying Storm should have left BP in the hospital i'm just saying that Emma has been there for everything she's more than earned her place as the leading lady of the x-men.

#22 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane: Like I said Storm would have been there for Utopia if she could but she wasn't and Emma was. I'm not saying Storm should have left BP in the hospital i'm just saying that Emma has been there for everything she's more than earned her place as the leading lady of the x-men.

Being there and doing things are 2 different things

#23 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#24 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

Being there and doing things are 2 different things

Are you trying to say that Emma did nothing? What do you mean?

#25 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

WHat has she done? other than being their in scotts shadow?

#26 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7200 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

Sorry for misunderstanding your statement. You've got a very valid point.

#27 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

In that case what has anyone done? She was a part of almost every crisis and every mission fighting and using her telepathy to aid the x-men. Just because she doesn't go off on her own all the time doesn't mean she doesn't do anything. It's like people think that to be an independent woman they have to disagree and argue with men all the time. Almost everyone is in Scotts shadow, He's the leader, he makes the decisions. It's funny you never see anyone saying that Magneto or Colossus is in Scotts shadow even though they have less indepenence than Emma.

#28 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

In that case what has anyone done? She was a part of almost every crisis and every mission fighting and using her telepathy to aid the x-men. Just because she doesn't go off on her own all the time doesn't mean she doesn't do anything. It's like people think that to be an independent woman they have to disagree and argue with men all the time. Almost everyone is in Scotts shadow, He's the leader, he makes the decisions. It's funny you never see anyone saying that Magneto or Colossus is in Scotts shadow even though they have less indepenence than Emma.

Yet you omitt storm cause she has business and makes her less than a member cause of other concerns that popped up.

#29 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

Yet you omitt storm cause she has business and makes her less than a member cause of other concerns that popped up.

I'm not saying Storm is less of a member for not being there for events like Utopia i'm pointing out that Emma has more than earned her place. If being the best/most important meant being with the x-men the longest then Cyclops should have his own series instead of Wolverine but most people would rather see him dead. Emma has been loyal to the x-men since the day she joined and has been a part of every major battle since she joined.

#30 Posted by Teerack (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn muties, we should just round them all up and put them on an island.

#31 Edited by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

I'm not saying Storm is less of a member for not being there for events like Utopia i'm pointing out that Emma has more than earned her place. If being the best/most important meant being with the x-men the longest then Cyclops should have his own series instead of Wolverine but most people would rather see him dead. Emma has been loyal to the x-men since the day she joined and has been a part of every major battle since she joined.

Emma became loyal after Jean exposed her. Not the min. she joined

Even then she didn't have everyone's trust and Emma herself went on record to point it out to the likes of Storm and Logan

#32 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Utopia.....

and for the record I can't see a X-Woman that has only been in the spot light for ten years as their leading lady. Give Emma another decade and she can compete with Jean, Storm, Kitty, and Rogue.

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Teerack said:

Utopia.....

and for the record I can't see a X-Woman that has only been in the spot light for ten years as their leading lady. Give Emma another decade and she can compete with Jean, Storm, Kitty, and Rogue.

Whereas Storm and Jean have been out of the spotlight for the better part of the last ten years...

#34 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: Yet both have had prominence for over 20 years each. One bad decade in my opinion doesn't make them any less important in the X-Men's history.

#35 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Hareil0079 said:

Emma became loyal after Jean exposed her. Not the min. she joined

Even then she didn't have everyone's trust and Emma herself went on record to point it out to the likes of Storm and Logan

I have no idea what your point is anymore. That because some didn't trust her she shouldn't be a leader? She's earned that trust over the years.

It wasn't that long after she joined that Jean confronted her anyway you're just nitpicking.

#36 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@John Valentine: Yet both have had prominence for over 20 years each. One bad decade in my opinion doesn't make them any less important in the X-Men's history.

For the x-mens overall history Storm and Jean are more prominent but currently it's Emma who gets the spotlight. Though this might change now that Storm is being used more these days like in Brian Woods X-men.

#37 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

For the x-mens overall history Storm and Jean are more prominent but currently it's Emma who gets the spotlight. Though this might change now that Storm is being used more these days like in Brian Woods X-men.

True and pretty much my point. I like Emma and am glad Marvel took the time to give her a real shot at popularity, but it may be over for Emma "at least for awhile" AvX may either kill her or turn her evil or even worse make her the new Phoenix "a fate worse then comic death". I hope not, but somethings going to happen to her.

#38 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

True and pretty much my point. I like Emma and am glad Marvel took the time to give her a real shot at popularity, but it may be over for Emma "at least for awhile" AvX may either kill her or turn her evil or even worse make her the new Phoenix "a fate worse then comic death". I hope not, but somethings going to happen to her.

My biggest fear is that AVX could very well destroy "Team Cyclops" it's only the X-men of Utopia who are being seen as the villains.

#39 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

My biggest fear is that AVX could very well destroy "Team Cyclops" it's only the X-men of Utopia who are being seen as the villains.

Uncanny is being cancelled, but X-Men "a great read" will be continuing though I'm not sure if Storm will be heading Utopia or just doing her own thing with her team.

#40 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Uncanny is being cancelled, but X-Men "a great read" will be continuing though I'm not sure if Storm will be heading Utopia or just doing her own thing with her team.

I wonder how Storms team will be affected by AVX. Colossus might leave depending on how he handles the phoenix and I still think Magneto would lead Utopia before Storm (that's if something happens to both Scott and Emma). Storm I feel might leave Utopia as she is technically an Avenger so she could be a main character in "Uncanny Avengers" or "Avengers". She could still go over to Logans X-men as the only reason she stayed on Utopia was for Scott.

#41 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: She is second in command "something that must have happened for some reason" though Magneto would probably want to take leadership, but I just don't see the majority of the X-Men following him over Ororo based on their histories, but it is certainly a possibility. Those two are really the only candidates unless Emma lives in which case without Scott around I don't see her taking a position of leadership.

#42 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@time said:

I can see people being more wary of Scott but I believe that it will pass given how Tony Stark's been treated after Civil War.

As far as Beast; I feel that matter is blown out of proportion more than it should be and that Scott doesn't deserve even half the attitude that he's given Scott. Given his actions in Secret Avengers #16 after he killed a group of villains, he has no room to talk.

Emma has been paying her dues as far as I'm concerned and yes due to the Phoenix Force her actions have been very villainous, however, she's certainly showed that her interest lies in keeping mutants safe.

The main point people seem to forget is that mutants are on the verge of extinction and that one mutant death serverly hurts the population and puts them that much closer to genocide. As far as Jean's contributions she certainly did her part but nothing that really stood out. I don't think either one of them deserves to die. However the deaths are approached it's just gonna be cheap.

#43 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:I always see Storm as the one who doesn't fit in with the Utopia X-men. She wanted to go with Logan and IMO opinion that's where she has more personal relationships like Logan, Remy, Rogue, Rachel and Beast. I don't really see a reason for her to want to stick around on Utopia if Scott leaves or dies I see her going to Logans X-men/Avengers/Wakanda.

#44 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: She has close relationships with Dazzler, Psylocke, and Colossus too, but yes I see her best over there however, I don't see that as where she will be going the school is crowded with to many big name X-Men as is and want to focus on the students. I do think she may have her own ideas for how Utopia should be run as well as her own opinion on leaving Magneto in charge. I suppose we will have to wait and see, maybe tomorrows X-Men will hint at where she will be headed as well as the rest of her team.

#45 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:I don't read WATX but do they not have an actual x-men team at all? You know a team that goes on missions or is it all school focused? Maybe Storm will form a new team but operate from the school like the x-men pre-messiah complex. Only time will tell though but i'm not liking anything to do with the x-men in the upcoming Marvel Now! Especially Bendis All New X-men. (Who at Marvel thought that letting a writer who has no x-men experience write the flagship x-men title was a good idea?)

#46 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: Don't even et me started on Bendis "He is dead to me".... WATX has Uncanny X-Force "I think that is under Logan's faction sorta" and Legacy under them. They handle missions and what not. I'm happy with Storm and her new team in X-Men Brian Wood is an amazingly talented writer.

#47 Posted by Rickbarry (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: Nah, they don't really do any type of x-related missions. Pretty much everyone there is in a teaching position. It's not to say there isn't action as Beast had a run-in with Sabretooth and Wolverine/Quentin attempt to count cards at a space casino. I do think it's a pretty nice change of pace comic and hope it goes back to it's lighter tones after AvX is over.

#48 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: I only started reading Legacy during AVX, what did they do over there before?

#49 Posted by Rickbarry (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: I personally don't read Legacy, but from what I hear it seems to be a Rogue centered book.

#50 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: Yeah I know that part. I was wondering if they did missions and stuff for Wolverine and Kitty.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.