Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Did Monet and Emma get along?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I know at one time Emma was her teacher. What was the dynamic between them? Did they get along and would they get along now or would it be constant snarkville like a springer episode?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anybody?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think towards the middle of the Gen-X series, they reached somewhat of a common ground between them. There's a memorable scene during the first couple of issues where M bashes Emma for entering her mind without permission. Not sure where they stand after all these years.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

They never hated each other. They are both bitchy so they each had snappy remarks. Emma has never been portrayed hating any of her students. She may be rough on them and has explained it is to push them to be better.

There's a wonderful scene around Generation X #20 where Emma sneak attacks the students to remove them from Onslaught's threat. M remarks she expected better attacks from Emma. After Emma takes down M by making M a lightning rod for all ambient psychic energy in the area, Emma whispers she will teach M that trick one day.

M enjoyed learning and honing her powers with Emma.

Today, they respect each other but they are not bosom buddies.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Today, they don't interact because, like most teen X-Books, Gen X didn't happen. ;_;

I want to post a collage of images to show how they interacted in a nutshell. I may come back in a few to post something like that.

Anyway, I really loved Emma and M's relationship. M was far from my favorite character at the time (mostly due to the confusing M-Twins stuff), but once she got going in X-Factor I realized that I really like how she plays off of other characters. Her and Emma were very similar (and in more ways than one, I remember Monet commenting on Emma's lack of clothing and flashforward to X-Factor's Zippergate). Its a fun, twisted relationship that I find superior to the one Emma has with the Cuckoos or Eva.

I ended up liking PAD's Monet a lot (errr....just up until the Blackcat team-up arc before/during the really gross parts of the Strong Guy relationship), but she ended up a little too much like Emma. That's only partly acceptable since Whedon, Fraction, and the like have all slowly diluted Frost down so the throne is open for a new queen.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 SC  Moderator

@selina_sublime said:

Today, they don't interact because, like most teen X-Books, Gen X didn't happen. ;_;

I want to post a collage of images to show how they interacted in a nutshell. I may come back in a few to post something like that.

I know right!!! How can Jono just stand around aimlessly in one panel of Wolverine and the X-Men's 20 plus issues when Husk is going loco!!?!?!

Sorry just your line triggered that reaction from me.

As for thread.

I think the term Frenemy is an alright way to describe Emma and Monet, in the friendly rival sense. There is another funny interaction going on here because Emma is obviously so superior as to graciously impart wisdom and truths to well basically everyone and so everyone should be complimented when she instructs them or imparts life wisdom and advice. Except Monet is also so superior and always has been, she doesn't need advice given how stunningly intelligent and gifted she is and always has been.

I love their exchange in Generation X about midway through where Monet implies that Emma's character is still bad, she just got better at hiding her true qualities, and then Jubliee's attempts to stick up for Emma made her sound worse heh heh.

I think Emma and Monet should be 70 percent passive aggression, snark and implied and intelligent insults. 20% outright vicious and cruel cattiness and mud slinging and psychic slapping. Then 10% gushy warm, heartfelt sentimentality and d'awwh.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

No they didn't, they began to tolerate each other, maybe even respect but they never were bffs or anything

Avatar image for ultimatejonathan
    UltimateJonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimateJonathan

Aren't they the same person :P

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@hawk2916 said:

I know at one time Emma was her teacher. What was the dynamic between them? Did they get along and would they get along now or would it be constant snarkville like a springer episode?

The current M was Penance for like the first 34 issues of Gen X. The twins did not get along with Emma because they were acting the way they thought their sister would, and from the way I remember she was even worse than they portrayed. She was even pissed at how she was treated as Penance and said it was like being treated like a pet when she and Jubilee had it out IIRC. It seems many people in this tread are making reference to the time when M was the twins and not the real Monet, Gen X. began to suck as it continued IMO, so if there was Emma/M interaction with the real M acting differently with Emma than the twins M did in the beginning I wouldn't know .

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofallhumans:

You are correct for the most part and M as herself interacted with Emma first as the misunderstood Penance. Once free, she interacted directly with Emma as M.

They were not close, and the relationship stayed mostly the same as it was when the twins jointly assumed the identity of M. A big element to notice is the the real M was the first to notice Emma reverting to her more ruthless self after Emma killed one of her own sisters who attacked the school. This was part of the disintegration of the Massachusetts Academy. They never resented each other.

The two have respected each other since then, but again were never close or chummy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.