Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

DC Comics Presents: The X-Men

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There was a lot of talk, especially before and after AvX, about the X-Men being kept separate from the Avengers. Thoughts ranged from keeping them together but separate to putting the X-men in there own universe.

But what if the X-Men went to the rival Universe? What if DC's New 52 reboot integrated the X-Men franchise into there fold? Do you think the X-Men concept would survive? Would they be able to exist in a world with Superman, Batman Wonder Woman and the likes?

How do you think the 1st year of DC's X-Men would go?

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think in the DC universe they would be more underdogs which could actually be more interesting.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@attatje said:

I think in the DC universe they would be more underdogswhich could actually be more interesting.

Just like in the marvel universe they are the underdogs the Avengers always win against them because their the Top Dogs. Although i'm glad Cyclops was Right, take that Marvel/Avengers. We all know Marvel prefers the Avengers to the x-men just because they dont have the movie rights. Although i think the x-men are more popular then Avengers. Batman vs Wolverine fight would be cool. Cyclops vs Superman, meh unfair fight. Wonderwomen ve Storm, awesome. :)

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I just think the being underdog would be stronger, as I think if you would put Avengers in the DC universe they would kind of be DC's X-Men in terms of being underdog, as JL contains I think the most Top-Tier Superheroes you can think of (not being offensive to Avengers).

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Less substantial pathos and emphasis on the mutant metaphor and thematic, more featz and decompressed fighting.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the X-Men concept would survive. It's already pretty strained in Marvel, and in DC, they would just get pushed into even more marginal roles since DC is pretty much ruled by their most iconic and powerful characters.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: Yeah DC would need to really respect the X-Men and gain confidence in the team to make it work.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By John Valentine

@attatje said:

I think in the DC universe they would be more underdogs which could actually be more interesting.

Um, no? They'd be accepted just like any other metahuman in DC.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: I mean their team compared to the 'big team' (Avengers with Marvel and JL for DC)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@attatje said:

@john_valentine: I mean their team compared to the 'big team' (Avengers with Marvel and JL for DC)

Fairplay.

Still, I don't think they'd exist as two separate teams, given that mutants wouldn't be hated, they'd just join ranks with other heroes.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the X-Men concept would survive. It's already pretty strained in Marvel, and in DC, they would just get pushed into even more marginal roles since DC is pretty much ruled by their most iconic and powerful characters.

Less substantial pathos and emphasis on the mutant metaphor and thematic, more featz and decompressed fighting.

When I read these I feel like this is sorta what has been happening to the X-men over the last year. They've been watered down to just the team that fights giant robot bad guys and a lot of the reasoning behind it has been lost. I mean the most "mutant" moment in a year of comics was Kitty's reaction to Havok's mutant speech. There really just second class citizens in the Marvel Universe and Boardroom. Because of this I feel like they could probably work out a niche in DC about the size that they have been shrunk down to in Marvel and it would give a real identity to some of DC's "Meta-Humans".

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By LyraFay

DC comics do have their own version of the X-men (well they're slightly bit different) and that is the Doom Patrol but they haven't been explored in the new 52 yet.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Transformers1024

Maybe that would dismiss this 5 years of super humans and super hero crap.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

Xmen in DC comics. Hmmmm... We'd get the ultimate team up of Wolverine and Batman. All time best seller. LOL. Not Really

I would really hate to see this especially since I dont read DC. While I dont like whats happened to the Xmen in the Marvel U, I dont think DC would be any better. If the Xmen were really going to exist in their own universe I'd rather they go to Dark Horse, Image or IDW. They would be the stars of that and thus get the proper focus like such an iconic team should get

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mutants already exist in DC, they are just called metahumans

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love the idea. i think dc would give much justice to the popularity of x-men. marvel just keeps pushing for avengers just because of the total rights they have for avengers. evidently, x-men is more famous and more lucrative. X-men had movies and a number of cartoons 1st.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They would team up with the Doom Patrol.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the X-men's work best if the mytho's was placed in similar vein to DC Earth 2 title where they placed all the Golden Age heroes in. In their isolated Mytho's will get the X-men back to fighting bigotry and hate groups, humans vs mutants focus really. No Super humans, aliens, demons, extra dimonisional threats. Just the mutants versus humans angle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dc does have the X-Men. It's called Doom Patrol. Anyone remember them? No? Anyone?

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a team, the X-men would integrate very well into the DC Universe, fighting evil-doers alongside other street-levelers and whatnot. As a concept, however, they would cease to exist. Regardless of how many strange adventures they go on, the very core of the concept of the X-men is persecution. We witness their struggles to cope with being outsiders from society and being hunted by bigotry and hate crimes. That's the team's main obstacle throughout their entire publication history. Do we really think that this would stand true in the DC Universe? I mean, sure, this shouldn't even exist in the Marvel U since it's hypocritical to say that mutants are evil while Avengers are good. However, Marvel doesn't have morally iconic heroes like Superman. The very minute that the government decides to build Sentinels to hunt down mutants, Superman would descend upon them with such a fury and publicly call them out for their behavior. As soon as a big-name Justice League member lends support to the X-men, the mutants would be guaranteed public sympathy and support.

That's just my take on it, although, it probably pertains more to the Pre-52 universe since morality was more of a big deal back then.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@lyrafay said:

DC comics do have their own version of the X-men (well they're slightly bit different) and that is the Doom Patrol but they haven't been explored in the new 52 yet.

The original Doom Patrol might have had some superficial similarities with Lee and Kirby's X-men, but I feel that has more to do with them both riffing on the Fantastic Four.

I've never read any modern X-men or Doom Patrol stories that were especially similar, outside of being the same genre. I think the closest thing DC's got would be stories like Justice League of America: The Nail, in which all super-humans are persecuted. But Marvel does those types of stories outside of the X-men anyway with characters like Spider-man and the like. I mean, that's basically what Civil War was about.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just dont see how DC would be any different from Marvel. If the Xmen were actually going to have their own universe it needs to be with someone other than Marvel or DC, this is the only way that works imo

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Well, the concept of them would be ruined. The DC citizens probably wouldn't fear and hate them as much as the Marvel populous does..at least, if the JLA/Avengers crossover is considered to be what might happen.

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Koays

@alak said:

As a team, the X-men would integrate very well into the DC Universe, fighting evil-doers alongside other street-levelers and whatnot. As a concept, however, they would cease to exist. Regardless of how many strange adventures they go on, the very core of the concept of the X-men is persecution. We witness their struggles to cope with being outsiders from society and being hunted by bigotry and hate crimes. That's the team's main obstacle throughout their entire publication history. Do we really think that this would stand true in the DC Universe? I mean, sure, this shouldn't even exist in the Marvel U since it's hypocritical to say that mutants are evil while Avengers are good. However, Marvel doesn't have morally iconic heroes like Superman. The very minute that the government decides to build Sentinels to hunt down mutants, Superman would descend upon them with such a fury and publicly call them out for their behavior. As soon as a big-name Justice League member lends support to the X-men, the mutants would be guaranteed public sympathy and support.

That's just my take on it, although, it probably pertains more to the Pre-52 universe since morality was more of a big deal back then.

I see your point here and agree. However the strength and might of Superman and the Justice League has become sort of a focus in DC that seems to be popping up over the last few years. People/Government Agencies have been calling out DC's godlike heroes for the damage they cause in a lot of there recent work to the point that I could sort of picture someone in a crowd carrying a sign that says "Luthor was Right!" in response to a meta-human/mutant problem. I don't know how long the idea would last in DC past a story Arc but its a thought.

If anyone ever saw the Justice League Unlimited cartoons Cadmus story arc, theres a moment when Amanda Waller gives a speech that pretty much amounts to what Maria Hill said to Wolverine and the X-Men post Battle for the Atom.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@koays said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

@ageofhurricane said:

When I read these I feel like this is sorta what has been happening to the X-men over the last year. They've been watered down to just the team that fights giant robot bad guys and a lot of the reasoning behind it has been lost. I mean the most "mutant" moment in a year of comics was Kitty's reaction to Havok's mutant speech. There really just second class citizens in the Marvel Universe and Boardroom. Because of this I feel like they could probably work out a niche in DC about the size that they have been shrunk down to in Marvel and it would give a real identity to some of DC's "Meta-Humans".

Until we there's 6:1 ratio of X-Fans who're writing the titles to those who're only there to get the name out, then this is how it'll be. We need passion, zeal, fervor. See Claremont et al.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hell no dont do this!!!!!! id rather the x-men be put in their own universe than to put them in the DC universe. so i guess they would be denounced into metahumans to.... hell no. i honestly feel that the avengers should go

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tigerkaya

hell no dont do this!!!!!! id rather the x-men be put in their own universe than to put them in the DC universe. so i guess they would be denounced into metahumans to.... hell no. i honestly feel that the X-men should go

Agreed. The X-men would be far better off away from a shared Universe clearly Marvel is incapable of writing a story of them in the Marvel U. Without putting everyone under a bus to make them underdogs in every situation. Plus it would improve them much better without having them in various pointless crossovers.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@koays said:

Until we there's 6:1 ratio of X-Fans who're writing the titles to those who're only there to get the name out, then this is how it'll be. We need passion, zeal, fervor. See Claremont et al.

QFT

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like the idea. I find it annoying, more annoying than it is in the MarvelVerse. What would the other heroes do? Will Superman help? What side would Superman pick? If he is against the mutants will the X-Men survive?

I honestly don't like the idea.

(+)

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind it if it was a Vertigo series

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like the idea and not that I don't think X-men wouldn't survive, because they had survived worst. I don't think DC can over power them...it would be a 50/50. For instance, I can see Rogue with Superman, she can physically touch him and absorb his power or mind, and she is a very capable and agile hand to hand fighter. Everyone think because Superman is the powerful one...a GOD...X-Men would not stand a chance. Wolverine can easily take Batman or who ever he pleased. Storm can probably handle Wonder Woman. Northstar (or Quick Silver) can try with Flash and so on. THIS I can assure you that X-Men can take down the Gods as you all declare them.

It would be interesting, but I can't picture them in the DC universe....sorry.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the idea. I find it annoying, more annoying than it is in the MarvelVerse. What would the other heroes do? Will Superman help? What side would Superman pick? If he is against the mutants will the X-Men survive?

(+)

It's weird there are a lot of statements like this. But keep in mind up until AvX someone could ask this question of Captain America. You could still ask this about Reed Richards or IronMan. These are the most influential and morally respectable(Ex- Tony) people within the Marvel Universe and they hold know mutant prejudice but there not activist for the mutant cause nor do they comment on mutant issues.

Its not like Superman can punch prejudice and throw racism into the sun. And if the 50 Avengers teams don't jump into every Sentinel fight then why would the justice league?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: but that's the thing X-writers know they could do that but it would mean breaking the status quo of predjudice that the X-men built a large majority of their stories from that made them such iconic stars. Besides we should all accept these status's the way they are. Otherwise quality would drop and we'd have an endless barrage of Versus stories and terrible crossovers. Everything must stay the same.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kidchipotle

"Welcome to the DOOM PATROL."

They'd be welcomed. DC earth accepts everyone.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definatly not DC for already stated reasons. I understand why people want xmen in their own universe but I think they do fine in marvel. Just move them permenatly to San Fran and they could be in the same universe with less frequent runins with the avengers but still the option to if the story needed to.

Honestly this is a cool thread but taking mutants that have been substantial avengers like wolverine, scarlet witch, and quicksilver would be to much change.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't think that the concept of the X-men would be ruined by them no longer being second class citizens. I rather think it would be a breathe of fresh air and finally allow their characters to get over themselves. To be fair I will admit I am not the biggest X-men fan, but I did try and I am trying to get into them.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@koays said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

(+)

It's weird there are a lot of statements like this. But keep in mind up until AvX someone could ask this question of Captain America. You could still ask this about Reed Richards or IronMan. These are the most influential and morally respectable(Ex- Tony) people within the Marvel Universe and they hold know mutant prejudice but there not activist for the mutant cause nor do they comment on mutant issues.

Its not like Superman can punch prejudice and throw racism into the sun. And if the 50 Avengers teams don't jump into every Sentinel fight then why would the justice league?

I actually put, "more annoying than the MarvelVerse" as in it is annoying that Mr.Fantastic, Captain America, and etc haven't helped the X-Men. However, the excuse is they are only one man and had other pressing matters.

Plus, they have had dialogue in comics about how other heroes never truly lend a hand to help mutants until now I.E. Uncanny Avengers.

The DC Universe is usually viewed to have Godly heroes. I fail to see how the JLU wouldn't intervene in X-Men events.

All the Flashes, Superman, Supergirl, and Powergirl have the power to run in the speed of light, Quicksilver isn't even that fast. They can do a infinite mass punch. I fail to see them not intervene. Then the question is what side would they choose.

This isn't new vigilante's popping up issue, this is a epidemic of teenagers gaining mutations that give them uncontrollable powers that can cause great harm. They say they have a cure for these "mutants." What side would they pick? There are the X-Men but there are also The Brotherhood of (evil) Mutants.

It would create new stories but in my eyes only for the benefit of the DC heroes. I feel like the X-Men are better off in another Universe or the MarvelVerse.

(+)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: Don't get me wrong I agree DC's heroes wouldn't be able to exist in a world with the X-men, though I think its just because it's hard to justify hating and fearing mutants when there are so many high profile heroes with powers.

I just don't think that it's valid to say that every time a fight happens or an serious issue goes down that the JL or a Super has to show up, if that was the case then there would only be a Justice League and DC wouldn't have any other teams.

Even the new mutant issue to me doesn't push the limit, because DC is so filled with Meta-Humans that it could be arguably handled in a similar manor.

It's really an untapped well for DC, which actually makes me agree that seeing the DC heroes react to this foreign presence and what the mutant issue represents would be a much better focal point for the story then the X-men interacting with this new world.

@tigerkaya:

I only pointed them out because of the assumption that every X-Men story in the proposed DC version would be ended with Superman or the Justice league jumping in when I think something similar to the current or pre-AvX system could exist. Pretty much a "separate/coexisting" for mutant/X-men and Avengers/FF/everybody else, where everyone stays in their own corner.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw where it looks like Ultimate xmen will no longer be. Unless the Utopians is actually going to be this.

It just seems the more and more I think about it, the Xmen are really being disrespected at Marvel. I mean without the Xmen there most likely be no Marvel with Avengers or anything else. Yet the Xmen are treated like the Black Sheep.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Well, the concept of them would be ruined. The DC citizens probably wouldn't fear and hate them as much as the Marvel populous does..at least, if the JLA/Avengers crossover is considered to be what might happen.

No Caption Provided

This panel. Wow! Kinda sums pre-52 DC and Marvel.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I find it the opposite. Most of those Marvel heroes thrive in a shared universe where as for the X-men it wouldn't mean damn for them since they have built such a large mytho's that they could live in either a shared or separate universe it wouldn't make a difference.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I find it the opposite. Most of those Marvel heroes thrive in a shared universe where as for the X-men it wouldn't mean damn for them since they have built such a large mytho's that they could live in either a shared or separate universe it wouldn't make a difference.

I can kinda see it this way too. Replace the important things like shield and the avengers with other generic hero groups and government organizations but leave them vague so that the X-Men are always the focal point and everything else is just background in the universe.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@tigerkaya said:

I can kinda see it this way too. Replace the important things like shield and the avengers with other generic hero groups and government organizations but leave them vague so that the X-Men are always the focal point and everything else is just background in the universe.

Why parodies, they already have all the resources of their mythos to take those places. The MRA takes SHIELD's place with Valerie Cooper as director. For generic hero groups Alpha Flight and Freedom Force.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
    XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day the X-men become part of the DC new 52 is the day when every country on this earth unites as one, the day when I die happy.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow totally forgot this thread,

The day the X-men become part of the DC new 52 is the day when every country on this earth unites as one, the day when I die happy.

I'd be with it, world peace AND less events interrupting the X-books......win/win

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea.

For the most part metas are accepted among the DC population as heroes. We dont really get to see what's it like for meta citizens. Between lost of life, property damage, villains and helplessness there's alot to misplace anger towards the person who can slightly warm your coffee from a touch.

Also between JLU's Cadmus arc and Young Justice The Light arc..government wanting to control any sort of powers meta/aliens/magical/mythological/technology, I could see the X-Men DC arc being mostly black-op Warfare. I doubt DC would make the League seem uninterested in helping metas or any population. Likely Bats is highly aware of something that just doesn't fall on the leagues giant robot/aliens invasion radar. He likely is taking care of it.

INCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men and Teen Titans one shot written by Chris Claremont and pencilled by Walter Simonson was great so it's not out of the question.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.